PDA

View Full Version : Mount Rushmore comes to Oban - the early days

charliedawg
04-04-2011, 06:42 PM
We were on holiday near Oban recently when we discovered this sculpted image of our dog Charlie in the cliffs above the road south to Gallanach. Apparently a local man, Ben Scurrymhor - sculptor to the gentry - has started sculpting pet images into the local cliff face and somehow have honoured our dog, Charlie, as his initial foray in what is a new field for him. He is open to suggestions for the pet sculptures that should accompany Charlie - however no budgies please - this is a serious project.

The images below show the sculpture and then a photograph of Charlie - no idea who the old codger is behind him.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2011/125969-Oban-Charlie-2-800.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2011/125969-me-and-charlie-800.jpg

nola276
04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
What a wonderful likeness to charlie, just as if he posed for the sculptor.

I can see why he sticks to pets though. It is fairly obvious he has made several attempts to sculpt you but wasn't at all happy with the end results, and threw them into the water! Shame he couldn't make his flesh tones more realistic:lol:.

juneto
04-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Hello handsome !!!:cat:
And has Charlie caught the Morag too ?
Hmn!!!
June;)

Yorky
04-05-2011, 04:33 AM
Hi Walter, nice photo. Wasn't 1st April when you took the photo was it?;)

Doug

Grainne
04-05-2011, 04:11 PM
I can see why he sticks to pets though. It is fairly obvious he has made several attempts to sculpt you but wasn't at all happy with the end results, and threw them into the water! Shame he couldn't make his flesh tones more realistic:lol:.

Nola, how perceptive you are! :thumbsup:
I didn't even notice those unsuccessful attempts! This sculptor's skill apparently has gone to the dogs :lol:

Grainne

charliedawg
04-05-2011, 04:18 PM
What a wonderful likeness to charlie, just as if he posed for the sculptor.

Hi Nola - either these rocks are incredibly light or the water is very shallow - and what about the floating Sputnik with its antenna.

juneto
04-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Maybe Nessie has changed his shape .
June:wink2:

nola276
04-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Grainne This sculptor's skill apparently has gone to the dogs :lol: :lol::lol::lol:

and what about the floating Sputnik with its antenna.
Oh my mistake. I actually thought it was the sculptor, snorkeling whilst trying to finish his works:lol:. As for the weight of the rocks, he is probably using that new Incredirock invented by NASSA, for the express purpose of lessening hernias in astronaughts building colonies on Mars.:thumbsup:

June, I always thought that Nessie was female:confused:.

Grainne
04-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Oh my mistake. I actually thought it was the sculptor, snorkeling whilst trying to finish his works:lol:. As for the weight of the rocks, he is probably using that new Incredirock invented by NASSA, for the express purpose of lessening hernias in astronaughts building colonies on Mars.:thumbsup:

Speaking of Space Programs, I saw an elephant in the clouds this afternoon. Do you think that same sculptor has been getting "high"? :D

Grainne

juneto
04-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Oh , Nola , I have thought all these years he was an Very Old Boy !
You may be right , can't have the species without La Mama.:D
What does the Resident Expert say about it ? ( Charley Dawg )
June:wink2: :wave:

nola276
04-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Well Grainne,. I just saw a flying pic, so you may be right.

June, I guess it's a case of what came first, the chicken or the egg:lol:.

charliedawg
04-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Since no-one is taking this thread seriously, I thought I might change tack a little. Straight from the "Department on Unnecessary Signs" comes the photo below of a shower cubicle complete with "No Smoking sign" discovered at the caravan site we visited recently. Do the people who put up these signs ever think? In the first case it is well nigh impossible to get the darned thing lit and even if you do the ash falls on ........... well you get the idea.

Anyway, when I was arrested later that day for taking photos in this public shower/ toilet facility, I explained to the police officer that I was merely recording the interesting sign on the shower door for posterity. Both he and subsequently the judge were singularly unimpressed by my explanation and as a result I may be unable to contribute to this site for some time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2011/125969-No-smoking-shower-800.jpg

Grainne
04-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Walter, I think what happened to you is a sign of the times . . . in this international climate of terrorism, we are losing our right to "point and shoot" our cameras! I say we march on somebody somewhere! Will you bring the snacks?

However, there's much food for thought in your sad situation. On one hand, it's encouraging to see that the police and other authorities are so diligent and vigilant in enforcing rules we aren't even aware of . . . if we put up a sign reading "No terrorism," do you think that might be effective? On second thought, seeing how effective most "No smoking" signs are, it would probably be ignored by thugs and police alike :rolleyes:

Grainne

charliedawg
04-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Walter, I think what happened to you is a sign of the times . . . in this international climate of terrorism, we are losing our right to "point and shoot" our cameras! I say we march on somebody somewhere! Will you bring the snacks?
:rolleyes:
Grainne
Sorry Grainne - I am afraid I will have to decline as I am now detained at Her Majesty's pleasure -- sad to say I have not seen "Her Madge" yet but I live in hope.

As I now have a lot of time on my hands, I have followed the lead of the afore-mentioned Ben Scurrymhor and have taken up sculpture. My first work is called "The Tunnel".

juneto
04-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Maybe you should write a Letter to the Editor asking why the Police hate Art !
Better still organize a Art Party protest , a lot of us will attend .
Offer haggis heros and Scotch and a mob will come, I think !:rolleyes:
June:cat::wave:
PS -"Point and Shoot " is that with an Uzi or an AK47 ?

nola276
04-06-2011, 08:03 PM
PS -"Point and Shoot " is that with an Uzi or an AK47 ?

Actually June, I think they were referring to the little fly icon painted onto the back of the toilet bowl (which is really hard to see in this pic). This is a trial by some obscure political party, to see if it is an effective method of fly eradication and could lead to the abolition of fly sprays.

BTW, how is the food inside?

juneto
04-07-2011, 03:24 AM
Heck , I didn't even see a Toilet anywhere , Nola !:eek:
It was all Totally antiseptic .
I think it was a secret room , FBI or CIA manufactured or what ever. A Bunker of some kind with hidden rooms below .
Have you seen that Movie ?
June:confused: :D

nola276
04-07-2011, 04:42 AM
No June, It's obviously so secret that it is on a need to know basis:wink2:.

juneto
04-07-2011, 01:41 PM
I'll betcha' Charley Dawg knows all !!!
June:lol: :lol: :lol:

charliedawg
04-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Strangely enough we have a secret bunker not many miles from us--http://www.secretbunker.co.uk/ but in my defense the shower cubicle in the photo was just that - no toilet facilities - just a shower. No-one has ever disappeared into a subterranean complex under that shower - mind you there was that story in the paper a while back - I think we should stop this - I'm beginning to get scared.............

nola276
04-07-2011, 06:48 PM
No toilet in this facility - for shame. What are you supposed to do, use the shower:eek:. Now that would attract flies.

juneto
04-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Oh Wow! I love the Secret Bunker !! Why did they abandon it ?

My question is how do you get there in an emergency . Looks like it is out in the sticks .
Nothing to be scared of Walter ,we will protect you .:evil: :cat:
My brother worked in Ballistics at Winchester's and taught me to shoot when I was a Tadpole .
June:angel: :wave: