PDA

View Full Version : Websites - recommendations please!

jeniart
04-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Can anyone recommend a good preferably FREE website provider? The one I use webs.com (formally freewebs) has been pretty limited and not very user friendly - and I haven't been able to upload any new images for months even though I cleared a lot off!

I don't know anything about 'blogs' and am not very up on that sort of thing - so are they an alternative? I need something really simple and straightforward. I've never tried selling anything from mine as I just need something to allow folks to take a look at my artwork and maybe offer commissions.

kenmacf
04-04-2011, 02:54 PM
check out Wordpress.something. can't remember if it is org or com.

lorna12
04-04-2011, 03:25 PM
I've also heard that weebly.com is a good one. I haven't tried it, but I think a few others on here have.

objectivistartist
04-04-2011, 04:19 PM
FineArtAmerica.com is a good one........free, too......

PatrickHedges
04-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Wordpress all the way for me. It's my blog and website rolled into one (I think that's better for branding - personal opinion). No adverts, totally free except for the re-direct fee of about $9 per year if you want to point your own domain name to it. If you don't need your own domain name, it's free. Massive upload (3 GIG on the free program), lots of styles to use to make it what you want it to look like. Have a squizz through mine to see if you like it, menus and all.

Cathy does all her own coding so she's 50 levels better than me and doesn't need other companies templates :lol:

artofnature
04-04-2011, 07:10 PM
I have just started my own - Weebly. I am not that savvy on computers but this one was very easy to set up and it's free. I think you can create a blog on it too but I haven't done that yet.

FoggyMountain
04-04-2011, 08:32 PM
I use Weebly too. It is soooo easy to use. You can catch on pretty quickly.

VENKAT
04-05-2011, 12:10 AM
I find Weebly.com very easy to set up.
venkat

jeniart
04-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Well thank you everyone - I decided to go with the majority. I checked them out and think that weebly will fit my needs the best. It appears to be nice and simple - Patrick your site looks great but maybe a little too advanced for me.

Just one more question - do I put a link into my old website before I close it down completely and is there a procedure?

PatrickHedges
04-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Do you have a hit counter on your old site? If you have and know that you get a few hits, it might be worth it. Just delete the other pages and put that link onto the home page with no other info other than "This page has moved to....................." and make certain the link works. People don't like to do the work themselves by copying and pasting. Also, put your favourite scratchboard on that page too, so people are excited to go to your new one.

Ltaniea
04-09-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm using moonfruit.com right now and quite like it. I've used weebly before and found moonfruit had more options than weebly, more templates, and you could personalize their templates a little better. Also moonfruit uses flash so you can't right click and copy or save your photos.

Patricks recommendations sound good too. I haven't much time to explore my website options further lately.