PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy Corner April 4-10th.

Rodman
04-04-2011, 07:59 AM
April showers bring May flowers...it was raining cats and dogs here this morning....wow.

Im so disappointed in myself..... I have been making a plein aire easel out of a med weight video camera tripod. I used it at the tattoo show thing and it worked great ( the ones they sell are not really sturdy enough for the way I work these white boards ).... I just about had it all dialed in. It even had a quick and easy way to mount and swivel/adjust a umbrella. Well, I went to the grocery store...bought a couple cases of water...went to the car to load them...the easel was there.....I set it out to load the water.... you know what happened next....I left the easel leaning against the car.... I pulled away and left it. GONE! UGH!... I had a good lil bit of money...let alone the many hours and trips to the Hardware store building this thing...GONE!!!.. And I might be going to Tenn. my B-Day weekend to paint. I'll try to figure out something to replace it until I can start over.. ( yes I called the grocery seeing if anybody brought it in... no)

PatrickHedges
04-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Aaargh!!!!!! Rod, that sucks a big one!!!

Harry Seymour
04-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Rodman--what a waste. So sorry to hear this. I've done the brief case on the top of the car before. I hope you get it back.

ARTMUTT
04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
That really sucks!! I know the feeling.

kenmacf
04-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Stories like that just remind us we are human. Sorry about your tripod.
Saw a guy with his brief case open on the top of his car. As he was pulling out of the parking lot I honked at him to let him know. He gave me the international digit for peace and love, so I quit honking. It took almost a mile for everything to blow out of the brief case and it to finally blow off his car onto the freeway.
Nowadays I would probably keep honking.

FoggyMountain
04-04-2011, 09:29 AM
That is terrible. I feel your pain.

fire angel
04-04-2011, 10:39 AM
That sucks Rodman!!

pamelalbd
04-04-2011, 11:19 AM
AAAAAAAhhhhhh CRAP! That's just the worst.....sorry Rod!

Diana Lee
04-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Oh Rod, that's awful!!!

I want to share that I hung in the new gallery this last weekend. I feel fortunate that I got one of the best rooms and I don't have to share it. The area it is in is packed with tourists in the summer. I think the best part is that the gallery profits go to an organization that buys homes to house the homeless. Sort of like halfway houses, to get them up and going again. The first house they bought was for homeless seniors.:heart:

The gallery is open to the public now, but the grand opening reception is next month.

Here are some photos of my space, (a panoramic sort of shots). I need to get them to reprint my sign. They made scratchboard two words!:eek:

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2011/5-GE.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2011/5-GE1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2011/5-GE2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2011/5-GE3.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2011/5-GE4.jpg

GoldenArt
04-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Looks great Diana, Congrats. Your room will be the buzz of the show.

Rodman sorry for the easel. Do you think it would be worth listing in the lost and found in the paper? Sometimes people will surprise us. What part of Tenn are you going to? Show us the work when you return.

Obedec
04-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Rod, did you check the dumpster?

Diana, this is exquisite.

Better get back to job hunting, happy scratching everyone.

Celticelf
04-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Oh Rod - that is terrible. Keep checking around the store though.
Diana - what a great room! Finally the galleries are opening their eyes!
Yes, Rod - what part of Tennessee? I have cool relatives who would love to meet you in middle and east tennessee.

lorna12
04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Rod...that sucks big time! You might want to consider putting a notice in the store and perhaps offer a reward for it's return. Most stores have a community bulletin board. I hope it turns up for you.:(

Diana...that looks so awesome...big congrats! It's also nice that the gallery is supporting such a worthy cause!

objectivistartist
04-04-2011, 04:17 PM
wow - that's terrific, Dana - VERY professional looking, out-of-the-ballpark terrific... :thumbsup:

Rodman
04-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Those of you that came to Indy met iPhone Mary...might also have met her daschunds Pica & Oscar. Im sad to report...Oscar has passed. He was the long haired and a real sweetie...

Rodman
04-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Diana....wooooo hoooo....

Im NOT sure where im going in Tenn. ( or even sure that's where she's taking me...but, I have a feeling) my GF is taking me someplace.that I.can paint.... its a secret at this point.

lorna12
04-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Awww that's a shame about Oscar...please tell Mary how sorry I am. Didn't Cathy do a scratch of them?

birdlover
04-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Aw so sorry to hear about Mary's dog they were so cute together. I've done similar things Rod makes me so mad at myself.

Eilymcc
04-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Sorry to hear your story Rodman, so frustrating.
Ken your story reminds me of my trip to Queensland last August when I left my shoes to dry on top of the campervan...and forgot to take them down when we laft the campsite to get back on the road...eeek! Never saw them again!
Diana your art looks amazing on the gallery wall, I would love to see them in person!

MuttHut
04-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Oh Rod I feel for you, hopefully someone nice will post a found add, and you'll get it back.

Diana: Way to go my dear, the pics look great, lucky you.

Wendy

pamelalbd
04-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Mary :grouphug: so sorry bout Oscar. So hard to loose them, they are so loved.

MuttHut
04-05-2011, 02:28 AM
I thought that everyone could use a laugh, maybe some have been sent this before. I just think it is quite cute.

SPAGHETTI

For several years, a man was having an affair with an Italian woman. One night, she confided in him that she was pregnant.

Not wanting to ruin his reputation or his marriage, he said he would pay her a large sum of money if she would go to Italy to secretly have the child.

If she stayed in Italy to raise the child, he would also provide child support until the child turned 18.

She agreed, but asked how he would know when the baby was born..

To keep it discreet, he told her to simply mail him a post card, and
Write 'Spaghetti' on the back. He would then arrange for the child
Support payments to begin.

One day, about 9 months later, he came home to his confused wife.

'Honey, she said, 'you received a very strange post card today.'

'Oh, just give it to me and I'll explain it later,' he said. The wife obeyed and watched as her husband read the card, turned white, and fainted.

On the card was written:

Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti.
Three with meatballs, two without.

Send extra sauce.

Wendy

caribouhills
04-05-2011, 03:57 AM
lol......very funny Wendy.

Artist Grants
I am curious if anyone has received or applied for a grant, to use towards thier art work?

ARTMUTT
04-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Diana looks like a really nice show space.

Rod please tell Mary how sorry I am to hear about Oscar.

artbygail
04-05-2011, 05:22 PM
ROD: Years ago, while on small island where my hubby grew up, I packed all my supplies into the car after painting an ocean scene ... and drove away with my big box of oil paints sitting on the grass. They were gone when I went back.

Thankfully, when leaving the Island, we met hubby's brother coming off ferry, with my oil painting kit in hand. Luckily, I had my name on the box and the person who picked it up handed it to brother in law who knew it must have been me, small island.

DIANA: Your work is absolutely beautiful, nice to have a room of your own, but of course, being a very unique medium it needs its own space to be appreciated.
Nice to see some of your work which I had not seen before. Good luck on sales.
Gail

RSchafe
04-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Sorry to hear about the easel Rod. Knowing you, it was probably an awesome construction. Hope you're able to build it again. If you are going to eastern Tenn. via I-75, you'll want to stop in at Cumberland Falls in southern Kentucky - would be a great place for plein aire scratching.

Your gallery space looks great Diana! Hope you get a lot of attention.

Mary, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. He was quite cute. We just had our cat put to sleep Sunday night - she was 16 or 17 years old, not quite sure since she was a stray my daughter enticed home. I need to do a scratchboard of her.

Rich

Eilymcc
04-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Wendy I love your joke!! Made me laugh out loud!:lol:

Diana, OF COURSE they gave you the best room! Best room for the best artist! Cheesy I know! :cat:

Good news, I was brave enough last night to bring along my scratchboard to my mentored art class - well it was clear noone there had seen the likes of it before - I was embarrassed by the attention but it goes to show - SB really grabs peoples attention! My art teacher said that I have found my medium/style (I think she wants me to stop creating mud with paint!!!:eek: :rolleyes: ) and to keep at it - Im delighted:D ! She wants us to create a few strong pieces with an art competition in mind for early next year, and an exhibition...I think its time I helped promote SB some more in Melbourne!:clap:
Judging by the reception my work got, I do believe there are some very exciting times ahead for everyone here!!!:crossfingers: :)

FoggyMountain
04-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Congratulations Diana. That is awesome! We're so proud of you.

ARTMUTT
04-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Going in for surgery tomorrow morning. Nothing serious I'll be home on Friday. I have a few ideas for a new scratch that I can work on for the next two weeks while I'm home--looking forward to it.
Other good news, my foster dog Jazz has an application on him which means he could have a new home really soon which would be wonderful--he's a really sweet guy and deserves the best.
I'll repost once I'm home to let you all know how I made out.

Rodman
04-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Best of wishes Bethann.....

Celticelf
04-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Thinking of you girlfiend. Just remember what I learned when I had the swine flu...you can sure stain the blankets when you do scratchboard in bed ;)

PatrickHedges
04-06-2011, 07:34 PM
All the best BethAnn :) Hugs your way!

Eilis, that's awesome. Well done!! (And :lol: to the mud :lol: ). Last show I was at people talked to me way more than other artists because they wanted to know about scratchboard so it makes me think that Australia is ready for a big push on the medium! And now with you and Lesley pounding the streets in Melbourne, Judy doing great things in QLD and me trying my guts out here, we'll break the back of this thing!!

lorna12
04-06-2011, 08:09 PM
:grouphug: Extra hugs BethAnn! Take care.

WooHoo Eilis! Isn't it fun talking until you lose your voice!:lol: Keep spreading the word!

Wendy...forgot to say...I liked your joke, too!:lol:

annamelia
04-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Good news, I was brave enough last night to bring along my scratchboard to my mentored art class - well it was clear noone there had seen the likes of it before - I was embarrassed by the attention but it goes to show - SB really grabs peoples attention! My art teacher said that I have found my medium/style (I think she wants me to stop creating mud with paint!!!:eek: :rolleyes: ) and to keep at it - Im delighted:D ! She wants us to create a few strong pieces with an art competition in mind for early next year, and an exhibition...I think its time I helped promote SB some more in Melbourne!:clap:
Judging by the reception my work got, I do believe there are some very exciting times ahead for everyone here!!!:crossfingers: :)

I can relate to everything you said Eily, I had to take some of my boards to an art society display on the weekend and people (painters and pastelists) were fascinated by it and asked soooooo many questions!!!!!

And I will be having my second scratchboard workshop later this month, although I am nervous it is also exciting.

NancyPH
04-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Rodman - Bummer. Sorry about the easel.

Diana - Your work looks fantastic there! Congrats!

I have an interesting..... and weird situation here. Maybe some of you can give me some advice:

I played around on a piece of scratchbord at the behest of another artist who thought it would be the perfect medium for me - and I loved it! I just did some simple freehand scratches on it, not an entire picture - you know, dog and cat noses, cat ears, dog muzzle, fur, stuff like that. I posted it just for the heck of it on my FB page. Now, I have someone who wants to commission me to do a picture of her Maine Coon cat ..... on scratchbord! My main medium is colored pencils and graphite, and I am currently working on a painting of a Maine Coon, but this request floored me! Oh, and the best part ... the cat is black. Yeah, okay, not only have I never done a complete picture on scratchbord before, but to do a black cat for a first piece - Yikes!!! :eek:

Also, I have no idea what to charge her because I can't see charging her my normal rate for commissions considering the situation - being completely new and not having a clue what I am doing. Do any of you have any advice and do you know of any scratch WIP's of black animals, especially cats, so I can get an idea of how to do it?

You know, the irony of this whole thing is that my hubby took me shopping to my favorite art supply store for my birthday present today. I picked out all scratchbord stuff - scratchbords, ink, brushes, etc. Then I bought more boards when I saw they were on sale (at Jerry's Artarama - great sale prices). I just happened to buy the size this woman wants the commission done on. And lastly, my husband and I were discussing ways for me to get more commissions since I'm almost done with the one I have. Then to come home and find this waiting for me - wow, weird!

lorna12
04-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Nancy...I've done black cats and a dog...I'll PM you pictures. What you do is pretend you know what you're doing...and it will happen!

NancyPH
04-07-2011, 02:02 AM
Lol Lorna! I'll probably go through all the scratchbords I just bought before I'm happy with the result. At least there aren't a lot of supplies you have to buy to do scratch art.

PatrickHedges
04-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Nancy, I wouldn't be dropping my rates as scratchboard can take longer anyway. However, if you are used to graphite and cp, you'll cross-over quite easily. It's harder if you are a brush person first and foremost.

I've done some black animals and find that having a background helps, and if you do it carefully, you can make it interesting without stealing focus from the animal. Hopefully this will show you what I mean. The fur is done with a fibreglass brush because the coat was quite shiny, and I only had a small reference since the dog was deceased and no other photos were available.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2011/60252-Gemima_Owned_by_Josh_Miller.jpg

animaldoctor
04-07-2011, 03:24 PM
My scratchboard has arrived and I am appempting a portrait of my little cat...s far he sort of has an eye.

rod you might like this...http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13733354#post13733354

Congratulations on the commission Nancy

Jen

Rodman
04-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Jen.... I can't wait to see what you do. You know?..... if you do a WIP... your opening up yourself to some expert advice ... post a WIP.

artofnature
04-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Hey Eilis:clap::clap:. That's fantastic that they loved your work. Hope they do organise an exhibition down there so that you can "sock it to 'em" even more. Patricks suggestion of you and me pounding the streets of Melbourne is hilarious. I wouldn't be able to keep up with your youth. Such a shame the four of us are so spread out and can't get together occasionally for a little workshop. Maybe one day.

There is another artist on the Mornington Peninsula who is a friend of Patricks (Leigh Rust). I believe he is going to start classes in scratchboard art very soon. Si hopefully we'll get some more interest.

Hey Patrick, I know you have recently had lots of your work featured in the Australian Artist Mag. Do you think they would be interested in profiling the 4 of us together somehow, highlighting the little bit of growth in the medium and showing some different styles? Or do you have to wait to be invited to have your work featured in there?

BethAnn - glad you may have found a home for little Jazz.:)

NancyPH
04-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Hi all! Thanks for all of your advice, I appreciate it!

Lorna requested to see the scratchings I did as an experiment on Ampersand Scratchbord. I had trouble uploading it in a pm, so I thought I'd try here instead.

These are all done freehand. I started on the lower left side and worked my way up the bord. You can see it gets a little bit better as I go. It's not the best pic, but I have to learn how best to take photos of scratchbord. It's not easy I can see. Lol! I know I need tons of improvement on my scratching, but it was simply a trial to see if I might like to work on scratchbord. Oh, and I just used an exacto knife. The size is 5" x 7".

Nancy

NancyPH
04-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Nancy, I wouldn't be dropping my rates as scratchboard can take longer anyway. However, if you are used to graphite and cp, you'll cross-over quite easily. It's harder if you are a brush person first and foremost.

I've done some black animals and find that having a background helps, and if you do it carefully, you can make it interesting without stealing focus from the animal. Hopefully this will show you what I mean. The fur is done with a fibreglass brush because the coat was quite shiny, and I only had a small reference since the dog was deceased and no other photos were available.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2011/60252-Gemima_Owned_by_Josh_Miller.jpg

That's a great picture Patrick! Thanks for showing me. Nice background!

Obedec
04-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I'd say you'll do fantastic Nancy!

artofnature
04-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Nancy. You are a natural. You will do very well in scratchboard. The talent just shines through!! Go for it!

NancyPH
04-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Sadly, my price was too high for the young lady, so I will not be doing the commission. However, it certainly got my confidence up. As soon as I finish the commission I'm working on I'll be pulling out my scratchbords and begin to scratch. I can't wait!!

NancyPH
04-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Oh, and thank you Lesley and Karen for your very kind words!! I really appreciate it! :)

lorna12
04-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Nancy...even though this didn't work out, you have such good skills already that you'll be ready for the next one. Those are pretty impressive doodles!:thumbsup:

NancyPH
04-08-2011, 04:19 AM
Aww ... thank you Lorna!

kenmacf
04-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Last night was preview night at the show. I am the only scratchboard artist here. I think there are 100+ artist. All beautiful work. At times my booth was so full I had to step out. For awhile I was in my chair in the corner scratching away when I was asked to pull my chair out so people could stand behind me and watch.
All of that and I didn't sell a thing :) 3 days to go.
Everyone wants to touch the boards. What's up with that?

FoggyMountain
04-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Very nice Nancy.

Way to go Ken. I'm sure there will be sales for you today. Everyone wanting to touch the boards is why I now put them under glass unless I know it is going to someone's home. What a pain though.

I am excited to mention that I am now have two galleries representing me. The second just picked up a bunch of sbs yesterday for her shop. She is very excited to have them (keeping my fingers crossed that they sell for her), although she doesn't open until the end of May. My scratchboards are now in literally the only two places that are anywhere close to me (and the closest is a 45 minute drive, the 2d is a couple hours). I am the only person in this area that does sb to my knowledge. I am both excited and nervous.

kenmacf
04-08-2011, 09:57 AM
I understand the 'excited and nervous' part. Good luck. I am taking a junk piece of board with me today so I can explain what it is.
Had an oil artist ask if this wasn't actually craft instead of art. That was fun.

NancyPH
04-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Wow, sorry that happened Ken. I've had oil painters act very snobby when they see my colored pencil work. At first, they admire my work, then they find out it's colored pencil and their whole attitude changes. They walk away insisting it isn't real art and then ignore me. Funny isn't it? And frustrating. *sigh*

I'm sure you'll sell something Ken, and if not, maybe you'll get a commission out of it. At the very least, you'll be bringing recognition to scratch art and that's definitely something!

lorna12
04-08-2011, 03:50 PM
I understand the 'excited and nervous' part. Good luck. I am taking a junk piece of board with me today so I can explain what it is.
Had an oil artist ask if this wasn't actually craft instead of art. That was fun.

That's exactly why we want to start the society...people (snobs) need educating...guess we're going to show them it's not a craft anymore, in about a year or so, aren't we?:D

That's a great idea Ken...this is what I take to shows or places where I'm demonstrating. I also take a scrap board and let people try it out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2011/11613-File0570.jpg

Obedec
04-08-2011, 07:18 PM
I sent Red to the Rainbow Bridge today, RIP Red.
Love, Karen

annamelia
04-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I sent Red to the Rainbow Bridge today, RIP Red.
Love, Karen

I'm so sorry Karen. <Hugs>

PatrickHedges
04-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Yes, big hugs for you Karen :(

I have a few issues with the snobby element.
i) A pastel artist tells me true pastel artists only use sticks, not pencils. I say "ok, so why do they make pencils? Why do they make riggers (thin brushes) for oil painters? Shouldn't they all just be using one inch brushes for everything they do, when clearly even the oil aficionados use all sorts of brushes?"
ii) Why do many oil painters think they are 'above' acrylic painters? Didn't stop Robert Bateman from becoming one of the most successful acrylic painters ever did it!!
iii) I often overscratch and then add back in with a pen, and then scratch over that. Someone says that with scratchboard I shouldn't need to add anything back in, just scratch! However, they then tell me that scratchboard is so 'unforgiving' and you can't make a mistake or you'll ruin the board, so they don't try!!! Geez! What total plonkers. How can I not be allowed to do one, when the other stops THEM from even trying?? I'm going to do a wip for a magazine one day and deliberately start by stuffing up and then showing people how a scratchboard can be resurrected just to dispel all the myths.

artofnature
04-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Oh Karen that is so sad. My heart goes out to you. Pets become so much a part of your lives that it is so hard to pick up the pieces after they are gone.:crying:

Ken and Lynn:thumbsup:. That's such great news for both of you. Yes, I am learning to deal with art shows and demonstrations too. You do get some funny questions from some people. I think the one that makes me feel uneasy is "Do you TRACE it on to the board". This devalues the work in the eyes of some people. I tell them that they can use their own drawings to transfer on to the board or they can draw it freehand with a white pastel pencil if they wish.

I know we have touched on this subject before on this forum and it is a "can of worms". But i am happy rendering the way I do and yes I do transfer from photos because I achieve the cleanest result this way. And I did sell a painting recently for $650 and the buyer was an artist and teacher and never even questioned how it was drawn. She was just so happy with the final result. So there, that's my two penneth worth on that subject.

But the majority of people realise how hard it is especially when you hand them a spare board and a knife and say - here, have a go. Their clumsy efforts soon make them understand that not everyone is great at this art and that it takes lots of skill and practice.

Lorna, thanks for the tip on the example board. I'll be using that at my next demo in May.

Patrick - spot on!!!

Yay for scratchbaord artists!!! You all rock!

kenmacf
04-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Karen, I had to put down my 14 yr old dog last spring. Hardest thing I ever did. I am very sorry for your loss.

Lorna, that is a great idea. I have to let them scratch. I'm going to try that tomorrow.

The day is finally over. I met a friend of Sally Maxwells. That was exciting. Looking forward to meeting her in June.

I almost grew hoarse explaining Scratch Board without selling anything and then at 6PM. WhamBam!!Would I consider doing a commission piece? Do tight shoes make your feet hurt? Of course. Not only did she pay me 1/2 up front but invited me to stay at her ranch for 2 weeks while I meet her father and do the work. He is the reason for the commission.
The oil guy is next door and heard the whole transaction. I was not trying to rub his nose in it but rather just open his mind. He was gracious. Upset because he didn't have a good day but gracious regarding my success. I am wishing him great success tomorrow. Good night all. Sorry this is so long.

PaintDog
04-08-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm so sorry, Karen. It's so hard to lose a beloved pet. Take your time to grieve and take care of yourself.

PaintDog
04-08-2011, 10:30 PM
That's fantastic Ken - congratulations!!! You were very generous and professional to not rub the oil painter's nose in it, but I'm grinning from ear to ear that he got taken down a peg. :evil:

artofnature
04-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Go Ken! Awesome news. Wow - 2weeks on a ranch!! Just remember - "from small beginnings comes................."

Rodman
04-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Karen.....sorry to hear about Red.

Ken... sounds like a good time.

MuttHut
04-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Oh Karen: So sorry for your loss, I know how bad it hurts, take care...

Wendy

Obedec
04-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks Everyone, so appreciated.
Fantastic Ken!!!

When people ask if I trace, I say "in a way" because I'm marking down where my highlights need to be in order to "sell the drama". I tell them that painters can't do that because they're interested in shapes. nyahaha
I ordered a bunch of scratch notes from dick blick with the sticks. They're about 3x3 and have rainbow colors underneath the black. I just put those out and tell people it's the easy way to try what I do, and go on to explain that my boards are professional level and I color them afterwards. They're usually thrilled to get them. I have to remember to put contact info on the back of them.

Ltaniea
04-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Great idea with the 3x3 pieces Karen - never thought of that.

lorna12
04-09-2011, 02:25 AM
Karen...I've been there...I know how it hurts and I'm so sorry. That's a really good idea about the 3X3's...think I'll go order some now!

Patrick you hit the nail on the head! I have a magazine from a few years ago with an article on 3 different scratcher's ...one of them(who shall remain nameless) was exactly who you were mentioning...if you make a mistake, you start over. Such arrogance! Such stupidity! Really made me angry when I read that. But I don't know about you doing an article on how to fix it, though...then people will know!:wink2: :lol: People ask me that all the time..."What happens when you make a mistake?" I just tell them if it's not too big a mistake it can be fixed and that's the reason for tracing the drawing onto the board...cuts down on the mistakes.:D

Ken...that's wonderful news, congratulations! And you're a good guy regarding the oil painter.

NancyPH
04-09-2011, 02:32 AM
Congratz Ken! Great news and you're a good sport!

Karen - So sorry for your loss. I have raised animals all my life and I know how hard it is and how much it hurts to have to let go of them. ((Hugs))

annamelia
04-09-2011, 07:50 AM

Ken, I 'phoned the convenor of a local art show which is being held at the end of this month just to check if I could enter scratchart as my entries were refused in the Brisbane Exhibition 2 years ago, instead they said I could have a display of my work then when I took the display pieces into them the head honcho said I could enter every piece, which at $20.00 per entry was way too much. I was told by the convenor above after explaining to him what it was that it would go into craft - I soon put him right so I will see what happens when I take my entries!!!! I am not expecting to achieve any great results seeing that they have no idea of what scratchart is!

artofnature
04-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Judy this is why it is so important that we do our demos and workshops to bring scratchart out into the open and into the arts community. Until it becomes more widely known them i am afraid we are occasionally going to come up against some peanuts who don't have a brain to look at a work of art and determine that it is not craft. Show me the ribbons and bows on them and the stitching!
I haven't encountered too many problems like that down here but I have had to contact the convenors of the art show to determine which category i fit into. One that I was looking at today had "Mixed media" as a cat and then "Pencils, drawing, pastels etc.". So it's whose guess where I would fit into that.

Bring on the ISSA,

NancyPH
04-10-2011, 09:35 PM
I've been practicing doing more animals on scratchbord before doing a complete finished piece, you know practicing getting mid-values and such, and I don't seem to have a problem with that. But what I'd be very interested in knowing is how you guys do skin tones and still life so beautifully in scratchbord! How do you get an even mid-value for skin or for vases and such? Anyone know of instructive demos on that? Especially the people?

EDIT: I looked at the thread that has a lot of wip's and demos and looked closely at the ones of people. I noticed that most of you use cross-hatching for the skin. Does anyone one else use any other technique for skin? Any way to get a smooth look?

PatrickHedges
04-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Nancy, if those techniques aren't smooth enough for you, try Harry Seymour's way, where he scratches and rubs the dust back in. Check this (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909312) thread out and follow it right through to see what I mean.

lorna12
04-11-2011, 02:59 AM
Nancy...Here's a couple more links to smoothness. I did these the same way I do skin.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595763

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590338

FoggyMountain
04-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about you loss. I've been there and know the pain of losing a pet.

Patrick, I don't know why oil painters feel they are above acrylic painters - I've tried acrylic and I believe it is much harder to get a realistic effect with them than with oil. And I haven't done a sb yet, that I don't have to add ink back in for toning. Neither is superior, just different ways to the same result.

Lesley, they don't realize what it takes. An outline from your drawing or use of a photo only give you so much to start with. It still takes skill to execute the scratching to the degree necessary to make a piece work with all the tonal values and textures I've seen the experts here use.

Ken, I am soooo happy for you. Two weeks on a ranch - I'd be doing cartwheels just for that part of it. Congratulations!

kenmacf
04-11-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm home. Sold 2 pieces. :clap::clap::clap:
Said the word 'Ampersand' so many times I should be getting paid by them.:lol:
The oil painter sold a piece. We talked more and I learned he is a former pencil artist. Wanted to earn more so he became self-taught in oils. So he is a like a former cigarette smoker that can't understand why anyone smoke cigarettes. We talked process and the we are nearly identical in that which surprised him. We parted friends.
I am really jazzed about this scratch board art. Talked with a bunch of the local school art teachers and a gaggle of artist that were not familiar with it or the fact that it could be more than a school project. :D:D

artofnature
04-11-2011, 09:40 AM
You are a legend Ken. Wow - 2 paintings sold. Awesome. So glad you got to chat to your oily friend.

NancyPH
04-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys for the links. Fun reading and lots of learning!

RSchafe
04-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Karen, sorry to hear about Red.

That's the way to go Ken!

Rich