PDA

View Full Version : Still Life - 'Little Mermaid'

jeniart
04-01-2011, 07:42 PM
My challenge was a still life so as I don't do fruit n veg I cheated and found a picture of 'The Little Mermaid' a statue from Copenhagen. 5x7 went to theboardlady.
"The Little Mermaid" is a fairy tale by the Danish poet and author Hans Christian Andersen about a young mermaid willing to give up her life in the sea and her identity as a mermaid to gain a human soul and the love of a human prince.
Written originally as a ballet, the tale was first published in 1837 and has been adapted to various media including musical theatre and animated film. - extract from Wikipedia.

PatrickHedges
04-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Jenny, one of my absolute favourites from the challenge. I remember Rod commenting on the rock texture in the challenge thread and he's dead right, it's amazingly spot on.

lorna12
04-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I totally agree...I'm sure Diane was thrilled...you did a spectacular job with this one.:clap:

Harry Seymour
04-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Yes indeed-a beautiful piece.

artbygail
04-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Jenny, this is beautifully done. It looks exactly like the Little Mermaid ornament which I brought back from there several years ago. The real gal sits right on the shore line. Gail

Rodman
04-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Jenny... I commented on the rock after the images were posted.... its photo real to my eye. Love,Love,Love it.....& and the rest of it but, That ROCK!!! HOW THE LOOK, DID YOU GET THAT LOOK?

GoldenArt
04-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Jenny, This is a work that would draw the viewer in from across the room. Top notch work!! Rick

jeniart
04-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments.

Patrick - you're so kind - if you asked me how to do the rock I couldn't tell you it just happened! Mainly fgb and nbt. Don't know whether I could do it the same again......LOL
Lorna - I really appreciate that as your work is my inspiration:thumbsup: I really didn't want to let her go - but thats just me! btw tried to pm you but your box is full....
Harry - thank you!
Gail - I thought it would look a little more interesting to miss off the base of the rock so that she appeared to be in the middle of the ocean - artistic license?
Rod - Thank you so much - with comments like that from you I feel honored! See above re the rock.
Rick - Your fine compliments are appreciated:thumbsup:

Diane Cutter
04-02-2011, 03:19 PM
This one was a favorite for me, too. I wish I could see it up close and personal and intrigued about your technique.

Diane

jeniart
04-02-2011, 03:30 PM
This one was a favorite for me, too. I wish I could see it up close and personal and intrigued about your technique.

Diane
Thank you Diane - unfortunately I only have a scan of the finished piece but I managed to produce some closeups from it:

Diane Cutter
04-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Wonderful close-ups, thanks so much for posting them. What did you use to get that fabulous texture in the furthest right image? It almost looks like you used some kind of liquid...

Diane

FoggyMountain
04-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Agreed with all above. Very well done. Interested in hearing how you achieved the textures as well.