PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Michelangelo chat-April

artbyjune
04-01-2011, 03:32 AM
No, not an April fool's trick. We managed to get a project thru the main project system. Just for a change to our usual project method. Here's the link to the project details.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=1506

The discussion thread is in the main forum at the moment but i think I'll move it the our projects forum as that's our usual place.

The project is 'Women in hats'. I hope you'll sign up!:thumbsup:

azulparsnip
04-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Been there done that. This sounds like fun. Putting it in the Project Forum makes it look very official.

brianvds
04-01-2011, 11:58 AM
I have been so busy with other matters that I haven't had time for artistic (or indeed any other hobby-related) pursuits for almost two months. Today I finally had a few moments, so I quickly scribbled a rather rough and sketchy self-portrait. No, I don't normally look that angry; it's just an effect of staring intently into a mirror... ;-)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2011/142294-brianvds_selfportrait_2011.JPG

gakinme
04-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm sick at home today so I finally get to surf Wetcanvas. Since being promoted, I've been good not to surf at work. I'm going to be transferred to the main office soon by June and they are training me as fast as they could so I could be promoted to supervisor soon. It's going to be stressful at work soon.

Hope everyone is well. Brian, good to see you do a bit of art. I've been not so productive this week artwise.

azulparsnip
04-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Brian - nice sp - you look art starved !!!

Sandra - this is all coming on so fast......are they having trouble keeping supervisors that they are promoting you so soon. I would be careful.

I am starting work on some pieces to put up in a local coffee cafe. I took some examples of my work to show. I was pleasantly surprised to find I had more than one or two things to show and all in a really nice large clear file
folder my son-in-law gave me over Christmas!! I got a little tickle when seeing the name of the cafe - Early Bird. Quite a few of the pieces were things I had done for projects here. :thumbsup:

gakinme
04-05-2011, 09:53 PM
The current supervisor has bought a house and she got a transfer to an office closer to work. And the county offered $10,000 early retirement package and a lot of people who were wanting to leave took it. A few had already planned to leave to go back to the Midwest and it was a matter of when. So I'm in a wide open play field now. Not much time to draw these days at break time.

artbyjune
04-16-2011, 07:59 AM
I like the self portrait Brian!! Years ago, I tried one in pastels...trying to hold a grin as I sketched...not an easy task!

Sandra and Robin...good luck with your new ventures. Nice ot get a promotion at work. And lovely to show your work in a coffee shop/gallery. Will they be mainly pen drawings, Robin? Please tell us how it goes.

trafford
04-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Everyone is so busy. Nice self portrait Brian and Robin and Sandra on the go. I have finished 8 tiles this month so maybe I'll have a chance to draw a hat or do a few photo paint alongs.

Here is one of the tiles:

trafford
04-21-2011, 07:24 PM

HAPPY EASTER! to all my wet canvas pals....janet:cool:

azulparsnip
04-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks Janet - I have been so busy this week garden, food coop, Andy's been home with his back for 4 days and then he had a tooth pulled ......now I remember why I never did art when the kids were home.

I'm sure enjoying the spring weather though today it is rainy and cold.

Hi Sandy, June, Brian, :)

artbyjune
04-25-2011, 06:03 AM
Happy Easter!!

I've been watching TV mostly...last night I enjoyed a film called 'The japanese wife'. It was rather enjoyable and a bit surreal in a gentle way. About a Bengali man and a Japanese woman who are penpals and then decide to marry by post without ever having met. I have a DVD rental coming this week on Paul Klee, so looking forward to that too.

No painting over the Easter weekend though!:wave:

artbyjune
04-25-2011, 06:11 AM
I love the card too, Janet!!

azulparsnip
04-26-2011, 11:23 PM
June - that sounds like a good movie - I'll see if we can get it from Netflix. Today is the first time I got to some art for over a week!! It felt so good- I'm primed and ready to do some more.

Janet - I've just been thinking about you getting all those tiles painted.....that is great.

artbyjune
04-27-2011, 09:28 AM
The DVD on Paul Klee came this morning, Robin. I thought it was rather good...informative about his inspiration, techniques and biographical stuff too. I liked the puppets he made for his son to play with. ' Klee, the silence of the angels.' I think that's the full title.

azulparsnip
04-28-2011, 01:17 PM
good - I put it on our queque

well, the coffeehouse gang is no longer interested in my art......don't really know why but they bought a bunch of clunkie prints of steaming coffeecups and daisies.....insipid stuff......and gave me the cold shoulder when I tried to show them what I'd done.

but I rather like what I did and now I know I can deliver!!!! Here is the one I finished.

jacquip
04-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Hey everyone. Its been a while but been super busy with school, which I am totally loving btw :D
Janet the tiles are looking wonderful. Great work. June those movies sound good, I'll have to see if I can find them over here. Robin sorry to hear the coffee shop deal fell through. I really like your piece.
I have been playing with German Expressionist style for my latest assignment for school, so will post when I'm finished. Its also my first attempts at gouache, rather frustrating to work with.
Hope you all had a great easter and are doing well.

artbyjune
04-29-2011, 07:25 AM
I am sorry to hear the coffee shop was no longer interested in showing your drawings, Robin. I suppose they plumped for conventional and safe over new and inventive. Its a pity.

Perhaps you can get another coffee shop interested? I did a couple of coffee shop venues when I lived in Scotland and it went OK. At least they showed my work on their walls (a few drawings)and some got sold. The best things were 1.the free cups of coffee because I offered to sit and draw in the shop, And 2. the contacts with the local community arts project administrators...which led to an exhibition in a small gallery.

So my advice is to try more coffee shops for a reaction. I don't know about your feelings, but I did find it a bit nerve-wracking at first...actually approaching people with my drawings.

I love your pen drawings BTW!!:thumbsup:

artbyjune
04-29-2011, 07:48 AM
I believe its Trafford's birthday today- 29th april.:clap: :clap:

Congratulations, Janet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2011/106623-bdaycake.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2011/106623-penguinDance.gif

Have a lovely celebration.

trafford
04-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Thank You, June...I wasn't invited to THE wedding....but I'll celebrate anyway :heart:

azulparsnip
04-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Happy Birthday Traffie -

trafford
04-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Traffie thanks you Mrs. Parsnip. Have missed everyone this month...but of course I peeked to see what you were all doing. :cool: