PDA

View Full Version : Shedding Water

Garbonzo
03-30-2011, 12:45 PM
I've been trying to do some artwork and some honey dews lately. This is 14x18 graphite on white board. I have a couple of little touches left to do but nothing major. I notice things sometimes when I look at the photo on the computer. Let me know if you see anything that looks wrong. I used an eraser, FG brush, xacto blade, electric eraser, sandpaper, steel wool. I think that's it.

Harry Seymour
03-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Harold--this is magnificent. Those wing feathers are so beautifully done and your lighting and background treatment of flapping wings in flight. Love it, love it, love it--which means I really love this.

emilycolors
03-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Stunning! Every bit of this is excellent. Where did you use the steel wool? I haven't tried that yet and I'm curious what effect you get with it.
Harold, this is a really great piece!!

Garbonzo
03-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Thank you Harry. I appreciate that so much. I wrestled with this quite a bit.

Emily, thank you very much. I used the steel wool on the BG. I needed to soften the pencil lines quite a bit.

03ahmed
03-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Wow! An awesome piece!! Any close ups?:D

Diana Lee
03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
OMG!!! This is wonderful! The only thing I see, and it is a very small thing, is the dark part of the sky right in front of his head, by the eye and bill. It might work better if it were lightened like the rest of the area around there. Just my opinion.
You are so good with capturing action!!

Diana

Buggin3
03-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Man, this is AWESOME!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I LOVE IT!!

I have just started my first whiteboard of a moose and am really fighting with it. I just can't get the smooth blending of the background like you have (and that is as far as I have gotten with it). I think I will probably hit the panel soon and have to start over anyway. :)

fire angel
03-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Wow Harold that is awesome!!!

richc
03-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Harold, this is great.:clap:

Rich

Rodman
03-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Harold.... I dont even know what to say to you.... "FANTASTIC!!!" ?.....Naaaaaa, that's not even close. I can HEAR this piece my friend... I'm going back to look again.

PatrickHedges
03-30-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm always staggered by how little confidence you have in your work when everyone here adores it. This is one of the best!!!! Man I learn so much from you!

Celticelf
03-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Yep, Harold, this is a keeper - doesn't get to keep the wolf company :evil: I can just hear "It's a wonderful world!"
How does blending the pencil lines with a kneaded eraser work? I haven't used graphite on board yet.
WONDERFUL!!!

MuttHut
03-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Fantastic piece Harold. Just beautiful.

WEndy

hectorstudio
03-30-2011, 07:19 PM
I second all of the accolades stated here... wonderful piece.. I love the lighting and the detail and the soft background. love it all!

artofnature
03-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Harold - you ARE the master of backgrounds. This background is so simple yet you are brave enough to tackle it. It really works. :clap: You have captured the bird beautifully and truly put it into flight. :thumbsup:

Reminds me a bit of Steve Morvell's paintings. He is an Aussie artist with wonderful skills in getting movement and life into paintings. Here is the link if you would like to have a look.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lesley-Barrett-scratchboard-art/153632721347358#!/album.php?id=100001591009599&aid=9255

Obedec
03-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Wow Harold, didn't you say the next Mallard was a gift for me? Is it mine? LOL, just kidding, this is awesomely beautiful...My neighbor just saw it and used expletives and wants to marry you just to keep the artwork.

Garbonzo
03-31-2011, 12:19 AM
Irfan, thank you. Close ups below.

Diana, thank you, I'm glad you like it and I very much appreciate your help. I will definitely make the adjustment.

Brett, thank you very much. Are you using graphite on the whiteboard. I put a lot of graphite down and used a paper towel to blend it and smooth it then added more graphite in areas I wanted darker, then more rubbing. I then used a small piece of steel wool to remove areas of graphite and to soften pencil marks. I even went over the darkest areas too, then more rubbing to blend everything. Don't know if it will help you or not but that's the way I worked my BG.

Greg, many thanks buddy.

Rich, thank you very much.

Rod, buddy, I sure wish I knew a better way to thank you for such a kind compliment but I haven't the vocabulary. So thank you.

Patrick, I think my problem is simply that, in all my years of trying to satisfy my creative urges, I've never been around such a kind and supportive group of people/artists. Thank you, my friend, that means a lot to me. Oh yeah, I'm working on that.

Terri, you are so nice. :) The kneaded eraser picks up the graphite and will leave a blotchy look but not a smooth one, at least on the whiteboard. A papertowel or a paper smudger works best for me.

Wendy, thank you so much.

Hector, thank you. I very much appreciate that.

Here are a couple of close ups. Everything is a little rougher up close. The whiteboard does not allow as smooth transitions and blends as one gets with paper. It does scratch well and layer well though.

birdlover
03-31-2011, 12:19 AM
Wow Harold this is beautiful. Well I love just about everything about it.

kenmacf
03-31-2011, 12:22 AM
this is awesome!! You can feel the power needed for lift-off. Really great work.
Ken

Garbonzo
03-31-2011, 12:49 AM
Lesley, a very very humble thank you. Sometimes I'm just too dumb to know any better. I often regret tackling some of the things I do as I really struggle to make them work. Steve Morvell's paintings are so nice. I especially like the running Cheeta. They are all exceptional pieces. Thanks for sharing that link.

Karen, you are so very kind. You know I am getting pretty absent minded. I hope that I didn't promise it to too many people. I'd hate to have to cut it into pieces so it could go around. :) Your neighbor really flatters me wanting to marry me for my artwork. My wife did it cause she thought I was cute and I had a car. :lol:

Angela, I really do appreciate that very much. Thank you..

Garbonzo
03-31-2011, 12:52 AM
Ken, sorry I missed your post. That is such a nice compliment. I really appreciate it very much. Thank you.

lorna12
03-31-2011, 01:32 AM
OH Wow...is what came out of my mouth when I first saw this...it's so simple (the subject) yet so extraordinary!(the execution) I love everything about this right down to the littlest water droplet! Absolutely amazing my friend!

Garbonzo
03-31-2011, 01:42 AM
Thank you Lorna, that really means a great deal to me, especially coming from some one I admire so much.

PatrickHedges
03-31-2011, 01:51 AM
Karen.....Your neighbor really flatters me wanting to marry me for my artwork. My wife did it cause she thought I was cute and I had a car. :lol:

Karen's next door neighbour is a bloke :lol:

artofnature
03-31-2011, 01:55 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Patrick. That is a crack-up. I'm getting these mental images of the neighbour and Harold.

lorna12
03-31-2011, 02:31 AM
Thank you Lorna, that really means a great deal to me, especially coming from some one I admire so much.

Harold...the feeling is very mutual!((((Hugs))))

:lol:@Patrick!

Rodman
03-31-2011, 07:04 AM
Harold... thanks for the close ups... I meant to ask ( beg ) to for close ups....but, I was so excited to go have another look,that I forgot.

Can I be best man?

artofnature
03-31-2011, 07:11 AM
:lol:@Rodman

Garbonzo
03-31-2011, 07:46 AM
Patrick, I'm still flattered. :D My wife wouldn't let me marry him anyway. I had that same problem once before, several years ago. Poor guy ended up hanging hisself. It's a heavy burden to carry. I'm either too purdy or my artwork is really attractive to some people. :lol: Hey,Rod, you are the best man. :D (Just for the record, I'm still too attracted to my wife to considered any other offers, even if they play to my weakness, my artwork.):lol: :rolleyes:

jdesign
03-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Great work Harold. I love the closeups also

caribouhills
03-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Wow, great piece Harold, I like this one a lot.

03ahmed
03-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the close ups Harold!! It really is stellar work!:D

jeniart
03-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Superb Harold - I love it:thumbsup:

aaces
03-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Everyone else has said it all Buddy...:eek:This Is KILLER!:eek:
I've sat and looked at it for the last 10 minutes!!!!
The lighting is Fantastic and the feathers....I could go on and on.
You Buddy...Are the Man!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

kdkbrown
03-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Harold, your work is beautiful. You have inspired me to try graphite. Wow, beautiful:clap: :clap: :cat:

FoggyMountain
04-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Like Lorna, when I first opened this, I said Wow! Now that is fine art at its finest! Incredible!