PDA

View Full Version : Mala Gold - possibly my favourite of my own paintings xpost A&W

KD Art
03-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Hi all!

Although simple (and not even quite finished - the grasses on the left are not complete and I still need to refine one or two areas!) this is probably my favourite of all my own artworks. It was inspired by the raw spirit of a wild lion in a wild Africa where the beautiful light so often pours over the landscape like molten gold. I do not keep my own paintings but this is one that will probably pain me to part with! As always, it is pastel on pastel card. Happy painting - Kat

DBfarmgirl
03-30-2011, 10:35 AM
wow! great detail and color. I don't know if I would let this one go either.
how big is it?

allydoodle
03-30-2011, 10:39 AM
I can see why you love this, it's georgous! You've really captured a moment here, and the spirit of this great cat.

In my mind, not every painting is for sale, although most are. They are so much a part of me that when one comes around that is just too personal, I refuse to part with it. I think once in a while we have to paint for ourselves, really for ourselves, and not feel bad about keeping one that has that something special. Of course, it it starts out as a commission and ends up being pretty special, I always release it as it did start out not being mine anyway. That has happened, and I don't feel bad about it, but happy that I created something I feel is exceptional for a client.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: If you created this as a commission, then so be it, but if you created this just because you were moved to, then think about hanging on to it for a while, at least consider it. You may be sorry if you sell it. Everybody's different, I know artists that will sell anything they paint, no holds barred, and others that will only sell prints of their work. And then, of course, there's everybody in between!

Beautiful work whatever your decision, I'm sure you'll do the right thing whatever it is, it is so personal.

KD Art
03-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Thank you! The work is just a shade darker in actual life - a little more subtle and thankfully I prefer it to this photograph rather than the other way around! It measures 19 x 13 at the moment but may be cropped just a bit at the side and/or top when I get it framed. Kat

water girl
03-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Yes, this one is very special and I see why you want it for yourself. The lighting is dramatic and unique. I always admire your work, but this is just the best.

KD Art
03-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks Chris! I will make sure I don't make any mistakes here! This piece felt especially personal as I was painting it - it sounds dramatic, but it felt as if a little of my very soul was becoming imprinted in it as it came into being and it was one of those times when the painting comes so very easily it is as if someone else is doing it for you! Kat

KD Art
03-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Thank you Karen - sorry I keep missing people out! Each time I respond, someone else has just commented and cross posted! I'll keep quiet for a bit so it doesn't happen again!!! Kat

*Deirdre*
03-30-2011, 10:55 AM
I can see why you love this, it's really gorgeous! You've really captured him very well, and the ambience is fantastic!:thumbsup:

bnoonan
03-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Kat - mark it "artist's collection" and think no further on selling it. If you make giclee prints some day... so be it - but for now... you can't let it go.

I was told by some wise artists that you should keep at least 2 paintings each year to remind you of where you have come from and/or where you want to go.

(I do have more than 2 - it's true... in fact I have a large collection) but I also know which one's I'll never sell.

The lighting and details is superb on this piece!!!! Magical! :clap: :clap: :clap: BArb

mercbill
03-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Kat this is absolutely stunning. This special painting has spoken to your inter being as you painted it, let it stay for awhile and you will know when it is time to sell it. I only have one old friend like this and it has been with me for 45 years.

Dcam
03-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Gotta Love the way you do the big cats. The hair is amazing. This is powerful.
Enjoyed.
Derek

John Palmer Fine Art
03-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Absolutely beautiful Kat, your description of the golden light is perfect and I love the way you have illuminated the fur tufts on the ears and the top half of the neck with it especially.
John

Colorix
03-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Fantastic, Kat, incredible detail with that gorgeous light! Can you keep it for yourself?

I've found that I fall out of love with paintings, but some take longer time to grow 'ordinary'. Might keep it until you're ready to let it go?

KD Art
03-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Thank you Deirdre for stopping by again...you must be busy so I appreciate it.

Thanks Barb. Wise words. And once something is gone, it is very hard to retrieve it!

Mercbill - I am glad you painted something that really spoke to you too. I think some artists never feel that in their whole career - even when they give much pleasure to someone else, they can find no joy in their own work themselves. Thanks for your kind comments.

Derek - thank you Sir. The big cats are what move me most, without a doubt!

Thanks John - I had fun with those flame coloured tufts!

Charlie you are so right! Some paintings I enjoy creating and then a couple of days later the magic has disappeared and I need to move on already! So fickle! But what is wonderful is that others enjoy different things in a painting than the artist does. I remember someone especially loved a twig I had painted - in the whole painting, this twig was the part she believed to be the best.

Thanks all! Kat

Etoiledusoir
03-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Wow, gorgeous pastel! love it and your BG too. You are very talented!

mollerman
03-30-2011, 06:37 PM
You have done so many wonderful paintings Kat. This one is certainly no less. Stunning! Could very well be a favorite of all your works.

RooGal
03-30-2011, 06:56 PM
wow, this is simply beautiful. I love everything in it, wonderful texture, great background. I can almost hear that cat breathing. I can understand your pangs in letting this piece go, but know that it will be enjoyed by others in the years to come. Well done!

SherryC
03-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Wow! I had my first pastel class today. The instructor quizzed us on our goals for taking the course. I am not sure yet what I aspire to do. Then I saw this. Your big cat is magnificent. You have captured the spirit of the lion. If I could ever do anything that good....

Turpintine45
03-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Wow. Just beautiful and that fur is wonderful. Keep it until you fall out of love for sure!

tulabula
03-31-2011, 04:42 AM
Stunning!

J_RILL
03-31-2011, 04:43 AM
beautiful piece kat! this painting looks like it glows at night, now that is awesome