PDA

View Full Version : Fishin' At Little Falls

richc
03-29-2011, 10:09 PM
This is an 8x10 ampersand board, done from my reference photo taken at Bear Discovery at West Yellowstone. Scratching done with a #11 scalpel, #11 exacto and small fiberglass brush. Excuse the glare on the lower right hand corner, had to take the picture inside. I think I am close to calling it finished, what say you. Remember I am just a beginner, but critique is always welcome. Thank you in advance for taking a look.

Harry Seymour
03-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Rich--you have gone from beginner to pro in one piece. It is really quite good. You've met the challenge of fur, rock texture, water and flow in a single work. Well Done!

pamelalbd
03-29-2011, 11:49 PM
You have done such a good job Rich. Especially on the rock and water. These are two very difficult things to do. There are a couple areas on the wolves muzzle that look off to me but the pic is quite small so I may be seeing something that is just due to size. Could you post some close ups for us to see?

richc
03-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Harry thank you very much for the confidence builder. This is my first attempt at the water and the rocks.

Pamela Thank you for the nice comments. Here is a close up of the muzzle on the wolf. It was taken with my camera as I don't currently have a scanner. Hope it helps you to see what you were looking at and if there is a problem, please let me know.

PatrickHedges
03-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Beginner?? Geewhizz! You should have seen my first attempts Rich. You are really getting the hang of it and some!!

One comment from me; other than the lighter parts of the fur, the values from front to back of the wolf are all similar. I'm wondering if there wouldn't be more difference from front to back, top to bottom. This also means that the head doesn't pop forward of the body as much. A change in value would fix this - ie more shading somewhere - I'd have to see the reference to guage :)

artofnature
03-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Looking good Rich. Love the waterfall. I agree with Patrick. His head seems a bit flat and needs some light highlights to bring in further forward than the his back. The darker it is the further it recedes in the painting if that makes sense. Sometimes I don't even make sense to myself and myself has to ask me what I am getting at!!

Rodman
03-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Rich...fantastic first piece!!! How did you like it? ....... I hope you had a ball because we wanna see more.... whoa, that's a great first board.

richc
03-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Patrick, thank you I will try to lighten the head a bit. The light source was at about 11 o'clock and the wolfs back was all washed out with light so I used some artistic license.
Lesley, thank you for explaining about values.
Rod , No this is about my 8th board and I have posted 3 others but it is my first one with water and rocks, sorry bout that.
I would like to say that without this site and your willingness to comment (teach) I would not be as far along in my first year scratching as it seems I am. Thank you all for your time.:) Rich

fire angel
03-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Very nice work!!

FoggyMountain
03-30-2011, 10:41 AM
I so love the advice I get on my pieces. You just can't see some things when you work on it for a while. Patrick and others here give excellent advice. You have a wonderful piece going on here.

birdlover
03-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Looks great...did great on the background too.

Garbonzo
03-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Great job Rich. I like this a lot.

Buggin3
03-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Very well done, Rich. Cool composition too!! :thumbsup:

richc
03-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Greg thank you.
Lynn I agree that the advice and help from this forum is super, and thank you for your comments.
Angela thank you.
Harold thank you, without your rocks and other pieces and demos I would be struggling badly
Brett, thank you for your comments.
Rich

Diana Lee
03-30-2011, 06:22 PM
For a beginner you sure bite off a big piece!!!
You already got some good advice so I will just say LOOKIN' MIGHTY GOOD!!!!

Diana

richc
03-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Yes Diana I felt it was more than I could chew at this time when my wife sugested I do it. As always thank you for looking and you nice comments, they are greatly appreciated.
Rich

caribouhills
03-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Very well done Rich.

lorna12
04-01-2011, 02:17 AM
You've done a great job with this, Rich! Tough subjects...really nice work!

I loved that place when I was there last summer...took about a zillion photos but haven't done any yet.

richc
04-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Mark, thank you very much.

Lorna, thanks for your comments. My wife and I try to return to Yellowstone every year. We enjoy it there because the wildlife is so abundant and available.
Rich