PDA

View Full Version : Portrait #5 of 5 pc commission (finished!) all together

pastel lover
03-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have finally finished this 5 painting portrait commission! This is "Hannah" 12x16 velour, various softies. I had to combine ref. photos so I have really nothing to show for likeness, but if you see anything that jumps out please let me know. Thanks for looking!

Tanja

Below are the first 4. I do not know why they are all different sizes & color. IRL they are all 12x16 sand colored velour & I resized the photos using 800 pixels for the height.

DAK723
03-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Great job on these!!

Don

mercbill
03-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Great job, they should be very happy with all of them.

allydoodle
03-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Congratulations Tanja! Great job, I'm sure your client is thrilled with these! I'll bet you're heaving a sigh of relief right now, what a lot of work, and now your done - five beautiful paintings!

RainySea
03-28-2011, 06:48 PM
they are all beautiful. Lovely work!

maybe they are different size because of resolution (ie. 72 screen dpi vs maybe some are 200 or 300 dpi). just a thought.

mollerman
03-28-2011, 07:22 PM
These are all wonderful. Great job!

pastel lover
03-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Hi Guys,

Thank you all so much. Your lovely comments give me a much needed boost & I really appreciate it.

Don & Mercbill - thank you!
Chris - thank you so much & I hope they like them - I deliver them tomarrow. Yes, a HUGE sigh of relief. I am surprised the whole country didn't hear it LOL.
Rainy - thanks. Could be cause of resolution, I don't know as I am photographly & technology challenged.
Mollerman - thank you & I enjoy your work very much.

Tanja

John Palmer Fine Art
03-29-2011, 04:50 AM
Wonderful portrait Tanja, the eyes are amazing, great to see the others in one place too.
John

JEFrantz
03-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Truly excellent work!

pastel lover
03-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi Guys,

John - thanks so much. Eyes are among my very favorite things to paint (most people's probably) & probably spent too much time there.
Jean - thank you very much.

Tanja

PattJ
03-29-2011, 04:54 PM
You've done a super job on these....the features and face angles are all very 'believable' and the eyes connect with the viewer wonderfully. There is one little thing that bothers me on the portrait of the little blond haired girl. the highlights ontop of the tip of her nose make it appear as if she has a bit of a indentation there instead of a rounded surface. Other than that, she is my favorite of the 5....she just sparkles with life.

pastel lover
03-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi Pat,

Thank you very much. Good catch on the blond's nose & I did change it before delivering to the client. This photo was taken before the fix & I didn't take another one after the change - I know, dumb right? She is my favorite also. She might not be technically the best but I feel I came closer to capturing her personality than the rest. Thanks again.

Tanja

oils4me
03-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Gorgeous all of them, I like the little blonde girl best as well...beautiful work!!

Orchid Lady
03-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Excellent job on all of them! They're just bursting with life!

Dcam
03-29-2011, 07:08 PM
These are fabulous. I just bought some velour and can't wait to try it. It seems to be the right stuff for skin tones.
Super work.
Derek

kankano
03-29-2011, 08:01 PM
i can not say you much about portrait because i dont practice them a lot, but i think all you are great. very nice

pastel lover
03-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much for all your wonderful comments. I really, really appreciate it.

Linda - thank you so much.
Orchid Lady - thank you! I was lucky to have such beautiful subjects.
Derek - thanks a lot. Yes, velour is my personal favorite especially for children. One tip that might save you some frustration... if you are using medium soft pastels such as Rembrandts or pastel pencils will sometimes become buffed by the velour, leaving a shiny skin on the outside of the stick preventing it from making a mark. I keep a roll of the blue shop paper towels (the rough one for garage use) to remove the skin. Also a small piece of sanded paper for tough cases.
Francisco - thank you very much.

Tanja

Finvarra
03-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Well done Tanja, and A star for tenacity, it's quite a mammoth task to do five in the same family. They all hang together very well, and will look great on the wall. Are they going to the same place?

Cheers
Lesley

pastel lover
03-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi Lesley,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. Yes, it was a mammoth task! It was the largest commission I have ever done and I have just been contacted about the possibility of doing portraits for a different family of 4. If I get it... that will be 9 portraits back to back, hope my eyes can take it! And yes, they will be hung to together. When I delivered these, I had the opportunity to see the installation site & framing choice. My client chose a cherry wood frame w/blk liner & spacers (no mat). I had my doubts but client was right, it was a perfect compliment to the portraits. Thanks again.

Tanja