PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected inspiration

teresasart
03-04-2003, 09:52 AM
Yesterday morning I was walking my dog (before my shower and before any tea, she insists)... I walk her near a river, most of which is frozen at present. The part of the river which isn't frozen generally houses several ducks, paddling around, immune to the cold. Yesterday there was also a big white swan there... next to the snow, with the morning sun shining on her back... I thought, "Wow, that would make a great painting!" I hurried back inside, got my camera, and returned to take some pictures. I don't paint plein aire (I work in acrylics) and this time of year, of course, my paints would freeze. But I am looking forward to doing the painting when I have the photos developed.

Does anyone else want to share their stories of unexpected inspiration?

Teresa

Salairawns
03-05-2003, 12:04 AM
The swan in snow sounds lovely. :) Without seeing it, I could imagine it painted in cool blues, or warm creamy colors.
It's rain and grey skies here. Went out other day and the blackbirds were flocking like leaves in the bare branches of the trees. I grabbed the camera, but there were only three birds left when I returned. Still made a striking image and I hope to develop that soon and see how it turned out.
Having just returned to art, I'm just now remembering how to see 'art' when it's happening, and that's sometimes half the battle. :P
Thanks for the thread :)

Viridian
03-08-2003, 06:41 PM
I too have had one of those amazing 'see it paintable' experiences. I was walking quietly shortly after a major snowfall. Everywhere was covered with smooth untrodden snow. I came across a row of high trees that were standing tall in dark contast to their environment of sun off of all the whiteness. Their shadows looked as if trees had been layed on their sides across my foreground, all taking the contour of the smooth rounded hills and mounds of the snow as if they were made of rubber or had be melted there. ( Now I know where Dali may have got it from). I remember thinking to myself while I feasted upon the sight that I would definately need to put some violet to use in those shadows. I find in quiet, visual moments like that I can never look 'too much'. Moments like those are when I feel connected to the source.
M

artcreator
03-13-2003, 03:25 PM
I have had this experience as well, I remember the time it happend even today. Unfortunately I was unable to capture the moment as I was at work, but it is indelibly etched into my mind anyhow. I was driving down a long country highway when I looked out through the passenger window of my truck. There it was, the sky was a deep blue that day with a few wispy clouds. The fields rolled away from the highway, drawing the eye to the horizon. Some of the fields were green with life, while others were dried out and dead, great color combinations everywhere. There was an old barn to the left with an old broken down silo and a feed mill on the right. That day made me wish I was a landscape painter, it was such an incredible view. No, I never painted the scene itself. What I did was I took that view away, put it someplace in my head and I think about it every now and again. Inspiring? Yes. Maybe I am being selfish, I felt that that view was best left where it was. It will probably be something I remember for a very long time (it's already been about 6 or 7 years).

beauty
03-14-2003, 12:59 PM
A couple of months ago I was in Ireland (my soon to be hubby is from there and we were visiting his family).
We went to a national park and was walking along a foot path next to a tiny creek. Everywhere I looked would have made a beautiful painting or sketch. One thing in particular that caught my attention was off to the side you could see some pretty green tree tops and above them was a stone gargoyle peeked out that was perched on top of an old school. It looked like the trees were framing the gargoyle (from my perspective).

And of course, that was the day I forgot my camera!

teresasart
03-14-2003, 01:20 PM
That sounds really cool (especially since I love gargoyles!) I got to the point that I picked up a cheap point and shoot camera that I leave in the car. That way, if I am out and about and I see something (like a good sunset), I'm not caught wishing I had my camera.

beauty
03-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I need to start doing that. I wish Ireland wasn't so far away.. it is an artists' heaven! Everything is so beautiful and so old. We went through castles, abbeys and churches..

teresasart
03-14-2003, 04:26 PM
I haven't made it there yet. I did go to France and Wales this fall.... shot off 28 rolls of film in 2 weeks!! I have lots of castles to paint now!! :clap:

james.bishop
03-16-2003, 04:23 AM
I had some friends, a recently-married couple, round for drinks a few months back. We were chatting and all that and then I went off to the kitchen for something, and when I came back my friends were caught up in a quiet little kiss. There was like a secret language between them, of closing and opening eyes, caresses to the cheek, knowing looks and smiles. It very much influenced and inspired my current work.

James