PDA

View Full Version : Johannes-Student Discussions Week 9

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Let's type in here now for general comments between you and me and amongst yourselves.

gardenart
03-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Johannes, Me and Guido had a ball watching your class today. It went perfectly. I learned so much even though I don't use oils. It will apply in acrylics and watercolors as well. Thank you ever so much. What a gift you are giving to us.
Sue

winecountry
03-27-2011, 09:23 PM
great class today, the stickcam was really better than last week and fewer ads and high def really made a difference. Except for missing about 20 min due to a power outage on my end, was glued to the screen, so many good tips and demoing it makes a big difference. I know at first there was some confusion and offs and ons....but once you started it was great, and not jerky either like the others.

Thank you Robert for notes so I can fill in the gap

allydoodle
03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Great class today, the stickcam worked fantastic. No problems, great picture, audio, everything worked just fine! Thanks so much, I reallly enjoyed the demo on trees!

DLT
03-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Wonderful class today. The video was perfect. Now perhaps I will have time for homework this week.

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2011, 09:55 PM
My fellow artists,
I am reading each and everyone of your posts and I am so pleased that we had a perfect day. All the necessary venues are working to bring you the most state of the art online instruction possible. I am so glad you learned so much today. I know getting the nitty gritty professional secrets is so hard to come by. Someone once called me the wikileaks of the professional artists.
Many of you have sent me emails asking me what is next for these courses once this one is over. We only have three weekends left of the course. I cannot answer what is in store for these web classes after April 17. So far F&WMedia has not approached me for any proposal for the continuation of these classes. I am getting no news from them about this. So unless something happens soon all I can say is get it while you can. I will make sure the syllabus gets covered by the time these classes end. On my part I have done the best I can. Meanwhile, let's party on!

Tresgatos
03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Hi Johannes,

Thanks again for giving such valuable instructions - the video and sound were good after you got the bugs worked out. The demonstrations really make a huge difference for me. Now I have to practice. Enjoyed the class very much - I look forward to the next one. :clap:

I kept seeing two different numbers for viewers and wondered what the actual number of viewers were that you had today?

Barbara

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Hi Johannes,

Thanks again for giving such valuable instructions - the video and sound were good after you got the bugs worked out. The demonstrations really make a huge difference for me. Now I have to practice. Enjoyed the class very much - I look forward to the next one. :clap:

I kept seeing two different numbers for viewers and wondered what the actual number of viewers were that you had today?

Barbara
I think the one on the left is how many are active and the other number is how many have seen it.

Greatblu
03-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Everything was great today...thank you very much!!! Now to put in practice what I've learned.. One question, I couldn't get logged in to the chat room. I tried the password, pigment,..didn't work; then tried my wet canvas password which also didn't work. Do I have to somehow create a new password? It would be nice to comment if I want too.
Thanks again for a wonderful learning experience! :)

granddad
03-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Everything was Great with todays class. I needed this information a lot. When this one goes on Sale I diffenently want to buy it. Do you know what it will be called. I saw it all today but want a copy for my own reference. thanks, james

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Everything was Great with todays class. I needed this information a lot. When this one goes on Sale I diffenently want to buy it. Do you know what it will be called. I saw it all today but want a copy for my own reference. thanks, james
All the videos will have a description of what they are about when they are up for sale.

hewill4giveu
03-27-2011, 10:34 PM
My fellow artists,
I am reading each and everyone of your posts and I am so pleased that we had a perfect day. All the necessary venues are working to bring you the most state of the art online instruction possible. I am so glad you learned so much today. I know getting the nitty gritty professional secrets is so hard to come by. Someone once called me the wikileaks of the professional artists.
Many of you have sent me emails asking me what is next for these courses once this one is over. We only have three weekends left of the course. I cannot answer what is in store for these web classes after April 17. So far F&WMedia has not approached me for any proposal for the continuation of these classes. I am getting no news from them about this. So unless something happens soon all I can say is get it while you can. I will make sure the syllabus gets covered by the time these classes end. On my part I have done the best I can. Meanwhile, let's party on!

Johannes what you have and are teaching is just awesome. It makes me sad to think it might be over. I dont think we have even touched all you could share with us. I hope you keep coming to the wet canvas so we can keep in touch maybe get a critic or two. Even better is i hope wc sees what an asset you are to them when they get all the orders for downloads on these lessons. You are a gifted man not only in your beautiful works of art. But the clear and understandable way you teach. Not everyone has that gift to do both. No doubt about it but you love what you do in every way. I also want to thank your lovely wife for sharing you with all of us. I know the time you spend all week in setting up these lessons and then presenting them. Takes a lot of time from her. Tell her i said a great big THANK YOU!!!!! Oh and you have taught your son well . Looks like someone will most certainly follow in dad's footsteps. Blessings Teresa

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Johannes what you have and are teaching is just awesome. It makes me sad to think it might be over. I dont think we have even touched all you could share with us. I hope you keep coming to the wet canvas so we can keep in touch maybe get a critic or two. Even better is i hope wc sees what an asset you are to them when they get all the orders for downloads on these lessons. You are a gifted man not only in your beautiful works of art. But the clear and understandable way you teach. Not everyone has that gift to do both. No doubt about it but you love what you do in every way. I also want to thank your lovely wife for sharing you with all of us. I know the time you spend all week in setting up these lessons and then presenting them. Takes a lot of time from her. Tell her i said a great big THANK YOU!!!!! Oh and you have taught your son well . Looks like someone will most certainly follow in dad's footsteps. Blessings Teresa
My contract expires April 17. But I will go out with a bang!

LLeone
03-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Great demos and class today! My video was perfect and I'm very thankful - I'd hate to miss a session and am already suffering withdrawal thinking it's all going to end in two short weeks.

It is going to take me a lot of practice to capture the coniferous trees. Thinking in masses really helps, but the cutting in and highlighting is tricky when you're faced with a 'wall of green'. I guess this is the - practice, practice, practice -part! I painted along with you which is truly helpful, but I'll need to buy the videos when they come out because I can't both watch and paint. I know that I missed lots. Thank-you, for once again generously sharing your skills and expertise.

tuscanni
03-27-2011, 11:26 PM
My contract expires April 17. But I will go out with a bang!
I too hate the thought of all this coming to an end. I really look forward to spending time every weekend with Johannes, Ken and my other learning fellow artists. We dont have a huge art community where I am from, but I love to converse with other artists and talented people. The posts are great on wetcanvas, but the live webinar is icing on the cake! I have attended other online art webinars, but they are no where near as informative, completely understandable and throughly enjoyable as yours. My reward is threefold. I am learning to improve my artistic skills, I get to "hang out" online with a top professional artist/teacher and I also get to socialize online with fellow artists. What more could we ask for?
Thanks so much for all you have given us Johannes.
I had no problems with the webinar today, except once, the rest of the time it was smooth sailing. Like a lost kitten, I am hanging onto the bitter end of the webinar until you close out the session. I need to learn every little piece of nugget that I can.
ANN

R Leon
03-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Johannes, thanks so much for the class today. :clap: I got to see all of it and it went really well. I had no delays or jerkiness on my end and a lot of AHA! moments. A number of trees in my paintings have not worked and I am beginning to see why. I have been a practitioner of dabbing dots onto my trees for highlights. No wonder it never looked right! Touch and move. Much better. Start anywhere in the painting that you feel like! Now THAT is a revelation. I thought the rule was always back to front, sky first, then paint over the sky with middle and foreground. Cut in, slice in your darks. Have learned so much just on brush handling. Thanks goodness I am writing my notes with a LiveScribe pen so that I can play back the audio while I review my notes.

Due to family health problems and volunteering commitments made before these classes started I have not been able to watch the Saturday classes. Thank goodness for Robert's notes! But I will definitely have to buy the videos as Robert is right when he says the notes do not replace the videos.

But every session I am able to attend has been very valuable and today's went so well for me this time. No glitches at all!

This has been a tremendous learning experience and once again, thank you so much for putting them on.

Susan Peltonen
03-28-2011, 01:29 AM
Johannes, I also want to thank you for a great class today! Everything went smoothly! I really enjoy your demonstrations, and learn so much from them. You continue to give us valuable information in a timely manner. All those "golden nuggets" that you've picked up over the years and generously share with us are greatly appreciated! You're a dedicated artist and teacher, and I feel fortunate to be one of your (many) students. I hope F&WMedia will approach you for more classes in the future, as I, too, will be sad when this one is over.

Kumquat
03-28-2011, 02:11 AM
Dear Johannes,

Although I have had no technical problems with any of your broadcasts so far, thankfully, I think that Stickam has been the best--fewer ads and popups, good sound and resolution. :clap:

I want to thank you again for sharing so much with us. And you absolutely nailed it when you presented this lesson on trees because so much of landscape is about trees--and it seems like it's the hardest to get right, especially the color. I've seen more garish green trees than I want to, although the subtle green one you did today was a definite keeper. :thumbsup:

I have learned so many practical theories and really usable techniques from you during this Webinar that I'm already thinking about the sad day when it will end. But the best part is that you have inspired lots of practice and that's what makes a better painter.

I have to also give a thank you, again, to Ken and Robert:cat: . Ken seems to know just the right thing to interject at the right time, without interrupting my train of thought with a jarring unrelated comment that can easily happen when additional people are involved in a presentation. He's exceptional. And everything that can be said has been said about Robert and his notes. They are invaluable to this event and I can't say "thank you" enough for all his work that benefits so many. I'm still amazed at how he can record so much in such an organized manner in so short a time. And Judy--so much in the background but so necessary to the program. Without her, we could only hope to have it so good.:heart:

But I am really impressed at how you yourself can juxtapose the Internet, Photoshop, and all the other programs together, while thinking about painting, teaching us, keeping your own peace in sometimes frustrating situations, and being so giving and loving, all at the same time. I feel like you are a friend, even though I don't know you personally. I wish you the greatest continued success--you so deserve it.:grouphug:

Marsha[/SIZE]

Dharma_bum
03-28-2011, 03:02 AM
I was late Saturday and the webinar was full so I couldn't get it, had to leave early today. Was there any homework assignment given? Thanks. Hope F+W see the wisdom of extending your contract for more classes Johannes.

Dan

carol_lee
03-28-2011, 03:05 AM
Great class last night.... clear.. no interruptions..I didn't even see 1 ad????:lol:..no lagging.. by far the best for the demos... Thanks to Johannes,Kenneth and Judy.... and F&W Media!!!!

Will you be posting the mini-paintings from the demo?

raxu
03-28-2011, 03:23 AM
I too hate the thought of all this coming to an end. I really look forward to spending time every weekend with Johannes, Ken and my other learning fellow artists. We dont have a huge art community where I am from, but I love to converse with other artists and talented people. The posts are great on wetcanvas, but the live webinar is icing on the cake! I have attended other online art webinars, but they are no where near as informative, completely understandable and throughly enjoyable as yours. My reward is threefold. I am learning to improve my artistic skills, I get to "hang out" online with a top professional artist/teacher and I also get to socialize online with fellow artists. What more could we ask for?
Thanks so much for all you have given us Johannes.
I had no problems with the webinar today, except once, the rest of the time it was smooth sailing. Like a lost kitten, I am hanging onto the bitter end of the webinar until you close out the session. I need to learn every little piece of nugget that I can.
ANN

Ann, you said it all so well, and in better english than mine - thank you :thumbsup: . Surely it would be impossible to find someone as enthusiastic, professional and understanding as Johannes is when sharing all the knowledge and secret formulas he has collected during his career. And the way his son is rounding up his teaching - it's simply amazing what this duo can achieve. I have learnt so much, best of all a totally new way of seeing and thinking (still need to put that in action when painting... the fact is, you learn to paint by painting).

I too want Johannes and Ken to continue! Not because I am addicted now :lol: but because all this knowledge is so valuable for so many artists. I am sure the crowd of the followers gets bigger and bigger, as the good word goes around - and that means there will be even more people wanting to buy the videos and the books (I already have 2 of them - they were worth buying even the shipping costs to Europe were high).

Hope the persons making the decisions about the future of the classes will read these lines. Don't let Johannes and Ken go, someone else will catch them sooner than you think.

Johannes and Ken, you are fantastic - thanks again!

Banner
03-28-2011, 06:42 AM
Johannes your workshops have been very much appreciated. I have learnt so much at these weekend sessions. The video demo today was A+ no problems I have also received E-mails down here in NZ. You have an amazing way of explaining & teaching techniques, brush strokes etc. & those all so important tips to help us produce more professional paintings. I work always from my own photos, so please pass on to your sponsors how much we all appreciate them making this possible & thank you, Kenneth & your team you for all that has been done to make this possible. I have appreciated Roberts notes too thank you to Robert.:wave:

Stephanie_Draws
03-28-2011, 07:13 AM
I too love this classes and think you, Johannes and all the others involved: Judy, Kenneth, Robert, the new forum-volunteers, do a phantastic job! I've learned a lot and wouldn't have tried WM oils without seeing that medium in action in your demos. I haven't experienced problems or lags with either IAM (?) yesterday nor with the provider you chose the weekend before, despite being based in Germany! Everything ran smoothly when you changed from JustinTV. Thanks for working so hard to give the maximum amount of us the best live-experience! It is very much appreciated.

Add all your work in answering in the forum, critiquing (so essential! Without your following up individually the classes wouldn't be nearly as effective for us who do the homeworks imo!), setting up reliable live demo-venues for huge numbers of attendees apparently on your own, answering individual emails.... You must invest practically all your time while the course lasts! And it shows in the loyalty of those attending from the start every single weekend and the many who have come later and whose numbers still grow.

I have a hard time imagining just any other instructor offering such dedication, freely shared knowledge and energy over a period of months! All while being friendly, effective, professional and so enthusiastic you practically spark from the monitor ;) infecting thousands of people worldwide... F+W in my opinion struck gold with getting you as their "trial runner".
You, Johannes, are a tough to impossible act to follow! And I sincerely hope that we'll see you again soon after April 17th, whether with this course extended or in another class with another topic.

I think F+W are aware of the success of these classes! Why else would they have offered two (that I know of: one basic on pet portraits and another with Maggie Price this week) one time classes in a roughly equal set-up by now? They see from Johannes and crew that the general format works! And that the free to attend classes-approach works and generates sales and attention, as well as customer loyalty. Art enthusiasts worldwide spend a significant amount of money on their hobby, passion or profession and if - as is the case here - they experience constant ACTUAL IMPROVEMENTS due to a course offered they won't forget either teacher nor organizer.

To The Powers That Be @ F+W should you read along: If F+W wants to maximize effects in the book and video sales you might look into making purchasing for non-US-based attendees easier! We are a big minority here, especially as for Europeans the classes are conveniently in the evenings. And many of us buy supplies and books in the States since the English-speaking market is much bigger and superiour to our local venues! Several of us Europeans for instance bought the books via Amazon, despite wanting to help Johannes out and telling him so, due to Northlight's credit cards only policy which are simply not so widely used here. Johannes' recommendations worked wonders here too - just not fully via the Northlight-shop.... Alternative payment options would increase oversea sales significantly I think, especially when you offer explicitely online-based products such as video-courses and abos.

elsie50
03-28-2011, 07:17 AM
This weekend was another great instructional journey.. I am in the UK and have not had any problems at all with the Webcasts, This weekend was no exception.. Perfect videocam.. I will be so sad when it has all finished... Well done Johannes, Kenneth and everyone.

Colorix
03-28-2011, 07:56 AM
This weekend had the best webcam ever, for me. Smooth streaming, image and sound in sync! Worked best of them all, and if I'm not mistaken, there were a record number of people watching, and even that didn't cause any problems. Seems the best system is found!

After participating in the spontaneous classes of December, I knew this organized class would be filled with very good teaching. Knowing how rare it is to find a gifted teacher who teaches the *why* of how to paint, I made it a priority to follow the course. Obviously, there is so much more that Johannes, and Kenneth, can teach -- things we *really* want to soak up and learn.

Johannes Instructor
03-28-2011, 08:07 AM
This weekend had the best webcam ever, for me. Smooth streaming, image and sound in sync! Worked best of them all, and if I'm not mistaken, there were a record number of people watching, and even that didn't cause any problems. Seems the best system is found!

After participating in the spontaneous classes of December, I knew this organized class would be filled with very good teaching. Knowing how rare it is to find a gifted teacher who teaches the *why* of how to paint, I made it a priority to follow the course. Obviously, there is so much more that Johannes, and Kenneth, can teach -- things we *really* want to soak up and learn.
We were so many that the CEO from stickam emailed me last night. He must've been pleased.

Yabut
03-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Everything was great today...thank you very much!!! Now to put in practice what I've learned.. One question, I couldn't get logged in to the chat room. I tried the password, pigment,..didn't work; then tried my wet canvas password which also didn't work. Do I have to somehow create a new password? It would be nice to comment if I want too.
Thanks again for a wonderful learning experience! :)

I was having this problem also, and asked about it only to be told that I needed to create my own password. I finally got in half an hour later, and yes, I did have to create my own password, but nobody told me that I had to go to www.stickam.com to JOIN first! So, if we have another live demo from there, that's what you have to do. Go go stickam.com and join. They will send you an activation e-mail and then you can get into the chat with no problem.

Yabut/Karen

cws1004
03-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Johannes, Ken and Robert,

This is my first post and I just want to thank all of you for a wonderful experience in learning. The demo on trees yesterday was fantastic. I learned much and the reception was the best yet. There were no problems once I learned how to turn on the volume. I have been painting in oils for about 5 years and have had some instruction through workshops and lessons, but Johanness, you have opened my eyes as to how to paint. I truly appreciate everything you are doing.

flowergram
03-28-2011, 08:36 AM
I was late Saturday and the webinar was full so I couldn't get it, had to leave early today. Was there any homework assignment given? Thanks. Hope F+W see the wisdom of extending your contract for more classes Johannes.

Dan

I was unable to see the video as well but it was supposed to be a refresher on trees and edges. If there was homework I would think there would be a new thread for it posted in the main thread here:

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522

If you've not gotten feedback as yet, do some and post it!

Gina

cotswoldlady
03-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Ilove your slide show and found saturdays lesson very informative.thank you.
was sorry to miss sunday. Hazel

claude j greengrass
03-28-2011, 09:08 AM
...Someone once called me the wikileaks of the professional artists... Yes, you are in the mold of Robert Wade in that you are telling the world all your 'secrets':

When I was about to start writing my first book, a fellow artist said to me, "Robert, you must be a dumb cluck! Why tell them a your secrets?" --Robert A. Wade: Painting your vision in watercolor

That's not to imply you are a 'dump cluck'. Far from it. I think you are brillant and gracious in you sharing of knowledge.

Johannes Instructor
03-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Yes, you are in the mold of Robert Wade in that you are telling the world all your 'secrets':

When I was about to start writing my first book, a fellow artist said to me, "Robert, you must be a dumb cluck! Why tell them a your secrets?" --Robert A. Wade: Painting your vision in watercolor

That's not to imply you are a 'dump cluck'. Far from it. I think you are brillant and gracious in you sharing of knowledge.

I just sick and tired of professional artists holding on to their secrets.

Laura2011
03-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Everything went fine for me with the demo yesterday, sound and video. The demo was really good and I learned many tips to apply to my oil painting.

The classes are great and you convey the lessons in a way that is very easy to understand even for me, a beginner in painting. Of course practice makes perfect but you make the way much easier for us.

I wanted to ask if there is anything we could do so that F&W is ready to continue with the webinar. I know that the end of it all is business, and I do not understand why, if they want to make profits, they have not yet put the lessons up for sale.

I hope we will be able to follow your classes on “man made structures” and eventually get a hold of the CDs on this webinar. Same goes for the landscape lessons given in December.

Like so many other students I look forward to the lessons on weekends. Thank you again for all your time and effort.

beart
03-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Thank you so much for the secrets.
I liked the comment you made on my snow scene as I knew it needed something but didn't know what. I didn't get to see the Saturday class as I was in a Art Show which I didn't win. First place went to a painting that I didn't understand what it was about but Art comes in all variaties. I did try to get in at 3:30 and it was full. It was freezing cold and although it was meet the artist day at the Art Show I thought it was in my best interest to go to class and I'm so glad I did. It was a facinating experience for sure and I learnt a lot.
:clap:

gilja
03-28-2011, 12:00 PM
These classes have been fabulous. I have learned an amazing amount of knowledge. The new viewing venue worked well. Johannes - you have put so much time and effort into providing us with all of this wonderful information. What a super person you are! Willing to share your techniques is a terrific quality in a fellow artist. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

gilja
03-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Johannes - I have been working on paintings with large expanses of water because I am actually doing boat paintings. It is very trying to get the water with movement and transparency as well as getting the color so it isn't too blue. Can you give please give me any bits of knowledge on this. I tend to do a lot of glazing to get the transparency. Are there any color recommendations for large expanses? Also what should I do with the sky? Thank you so very much for any advice you might provide.

Jan

gilja
03-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Robert,

Thank you so very much for your notes. I have saved them all. They are a great addition to the notes I have been taking - only they are more concise.

It is so kind of you to provide us with your information.

Sincerely,

Jan

sherrysherman
03-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Johannes, could you please post your trees from yesterday? If possible, by about 2:00 pm your time. I missed a lot of the video (I could hear you, but my picture kept freezing so I couldn't see you in process). I'm painting this afternoon and would like to work on trees, using yours as examples of how we SHOULD do it.

Thanks!

callady
03-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Johannes.....I can't begin to tell you how much these cyber art lessons have meant to me. With health problems it's impossible to take any classes so this has been a dream come true for me. I'm learning so much!!!!

The reception has been perfect each time for me, both sound and visual, and I thank Wet Canvas and others for making this all possible. I really hope there will be another set of weekly classes down the road. This has become a weekend treat for me!

Nancy in california

Johannes Instructor
03-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Johannes, could you please post your trees from yesterday? If possible, by about 2:00 pm your time. I missed a lot of the video (I could hear you, but my picture kept freezing so I couldn't see you in process). I'm painting this afternoon and would like to work on trees, using yours as examples of how we SHOULD do it.

Thanks!
Can't upload Sherry. Wetcanvas is acting up again

Johannes Instructor
03-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Johannes - I have been working on paintings with large expanses of water because I am actually doing boat paintings. It is very trying to get the water with movement and transparency as well as getting the color so it isn't too blue. Can you give please give me any bits of knowledge on this. I tend to do a lot of glazing to get the transparency. Are there any color recommendations for large expanses? Also what should I do with the sky? Thank you so very much for any advice you might provide.

Jan
What medium is this?

Johannes Instructor
03-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Thank you so much for the secrets.
I liked the comment you made on my snow scene as I knew it needed something but didn't know what. I didn't get to see the Saturday class as I was in a Art Show which I didn't win. First place went to a painting that I didn't understand what it was about but Art comes in all variaties. I did try to get in at 3:30 and it was full. It was freezing cold and although it was meet the artist day at the Art Show I thought it was in my best interest to go to class and I'm so glad I did. It was a facinating experience for sure and I learnt a lot.
:clap:

Another tradional artist getting squashed by judges who have no clue about technique and favor abstract art?

sherrysherman
03-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Can't upload Sherry. Wetcanvas is acting up again
Thanks for trying, Johannes. Monday afternoons are when I can do the most painting. (I used to have more time on weekends, but now I allocate a lot of that free time to sitting in front of the computer. :) )

karan55
03-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks for trying, Johannes. Monday afternoons are when I can do the most painting. (I used to have more time on weekends, but now I allocate a lot of that free time to sitting in front of the computer. :) )

If you go to the cyberartlearning.com and click on the view Live Webcam....then click on the link to reference photos up at top left - it still works to view reference photos.

sherrysherman
03-28-2011, 01:45 PM
If you go to the cyberartlearning.com and click on the view Live Webcam....then click on the link to reference photos up at top left - it still works to view reference photos.
Oh that's great - I was going to search for where he had posted the link here in WC. But your idea is much faster! Thanks.

I was hoping he'd be able to post his actual three paintings from Sunday so I could be using those to see what we SHOULD be doing. :) My video wasn't great on Sunday (near-perfect sound but pic froze for extended periods) so I didn't get to see as much of the process as I would have liked.

karan55
03-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Oh that's great - I was going to search for where he had posted the link here in WC. But your idea is much faster! Thanks.

I was hoping he'd be able to post his actual three paintings from Sunday so I could be using those to see what we SHOULD be doing. :) My video wasn't great on Sunday (near-perfect sound but pic froze for extended periods) so I didn't get to see as much of the process as I would have liked.

His actual paintings from the ref. photos would make it a lot easier to get our homework done right/better! He made it look so easy!!!! Ihope to get to the homework today while it is fresh in my mind.
Sorry you missed out.

susanc
03-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Johannes, [B]I missed a lot of the video (I could hear you, but my picture kept freezing so I couldn't see you in process).

Aw, I'm sorry that it froze on you. It seemed like everyone responding here got to see it just fine until I got to your post. I really hoped that it would go smoothly for you, too, despite all the basketball traffic. (Kansas was playing and maybe that affected you, since Colorado is its' next-door neighbor?) The final games are on April 1 and 2 so if that was the problem, there's finally a light at the end of the tunnel...but for all we know at this point, the ride seems to have only a limited number of weeks left.

I respectfully recommend to F&W that they put the downloads up for sale while the momentum and energy over them is at this fevered pitch! ;) I've had to miss half the classes and I'd be happy to be their first customer to download them or to test their download system out if they need any help! :D

P. S. Karan--very clever of you to come up with that. Thanks!

MarisFS
03-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Johannes,
The classes this past weekend were excellent. The video and sound were all perfect for me. I have learned so much from your classes that I find myself mentally and visually making changes to Mother Nature, as I drive around here in Tucson, looking at the mountains surrounding the city. They truly are "boring" from an artists point of view - and I've already taken many photos for future reference on how "not to paint" mountains like these. Not that they aren't beautiful, but making melodic lines when painting them will make such a difference. Once I get home to California I will definitely look at our mountains with different eyes. THANK YOU for sharing your incredible talent and knowledge, and your special secrets are priceless.

little miss sunshine
03-28-2011, 02:35 PM
My thanks to Johannes, too. Everyone has already expressed my feelings.

I must admit to painting what I see too realistically. My spouce happend to walk me during Saturday's session and heard the advice to not make the painting look like a photo. He has long commented that this is a fault of mine. I guess when people look at my works in art shows and think they are photos printed on canvas, I am too intent on the repoduction of my subjects instead of the representation.

Thanks to this opportunity I know where I need to work for improvement. I feel so fortunate.

tuscanni
03-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Johannes.....I can't begin to tell you how much these cyber art lessons have meant to me. With health problems it's impossible to take any classes so this has been a dream come true for me. I'm learning so much!!!!

The reception has been perfect each time for me, both sound and visual, and I thank Wet Canvas and others for making this all possible. I really hope there will be another set of weekly classes down the road. This has become a weekend treat for me!

Nancy in california

Nancy....I totally agree with you, they have been a real treat for me also.
Painting and createing new artwork is a real pleasure for me. Except of course when my pieces dont turn out the way that I wanted them too LOL
ANN

NomadNana
03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Johannes,

I can't say a big enough thank you. I just hope & pray that you will be able to do many, many more classes. You have helped me so much. You have a wonderful personality and are a wonderful teacher. I am going to practice like crazy. I was doing all my trees wrong & my color mixing. You are special to share so much of your knowledge with all of us. The webinar worked fine this weekend.

NomadNana

granddad
03-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Yesterdays demo on trees was outstanding. I was wondering, you mentioned that you use Modeling Paste on the cavas prior to doing a painting, and you could see the paste there. So I was wondering, do you put Gesso over the modeling past or just paint directly on top of the Modeling Paste? Also, do you put down more then one coat? thanks, james

M.M.
03-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Once again a great class. The demo was invaluable. The camera caught your brushstrokes clearly and the connection was very good from start to finish. My hat off to you and Kenneth for communicating what you know so well and for handling so many tasks in a live presentation.

I am amazed at how much I have learned in the weeks I have been taking these classes. If only I can put into practice just a small part of what you have taught us I will be a much better painter.
Thank you.

oCDs01-711
03-28-2011, 03:37 PM
The little painting I've done as a newbie, I've used graphite pencil :eek: to sketch lightly on the canvas. I heard you say that you use pastel pencil to sketch and saw you sketch with one. Only one art supply store in my city carries individual pencils. :eek: So today I drove out of my way to purchase a violet and a burnt umber at this store. ;) I drove 30 miles to make a $5 purchase!

The brands I saw were Bruynzeel (design) Holland and Derwent. I don't know a thing about pastel pencil brands. But I noticed that Derwent was much thicker in size and heavier in weight compared to the Bruynzeel Holland. I bought violet Bruynzeel Holland and burnt umber Derwent to try both brands. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Johannes Instructor
03-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Yesterdays demo on trees was outstanding. I was wondering, you mentioned that you use Modeling Paste on the cavas prior to doing a painting, and you could see the paste there. So I was wondering, do you put Gesso over the modeling past or just paint directly on top of the Modeling Paste? Also, do you put down more then one coat? thanks, james

I would put two layers of gesso if I put the modeling paste on bare birch wood, not necessary for a canvas.

desthers
03-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Johannes,
Started your classes at the beginning of February. Have learned something from each presentation. Having taken up painting again after retiring, I have been enjoying plein air painting in beautiful Utah. Your trees and foliage demo could not have come at a better time. Thank you for so sharing your thorough knowledge of the art of painting. My brushes salute you.
Diane

azulparsnip
03-28-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm in the minority but just for the record - it didn't do right.......we could see the clock and the chatting and as class began it all went but the chat window which was empty and the desert and then I did see a couple commercials but that was jerky.....

glad ya'll had a nice time though.

Lin Frye
03-28-2011, 04:47 PM
I too am in the minority -- the sound disappeared frequently as well as the screen freezing -- BUT for the record -- far LESS than during the USTREAM -- so I could catch about 60% of the broadcast this weekend.

Let me too add my thanks to you, Johannes, for an invaluable opportunity and exceptional learning experience!!

Lin

rkderieg
03-28-2011, 05:13 PM
I am passing on an email I wrote to F+W today and their reply.

-----Original Message-----
To: 'Rena Derieg' <[email protected]>
Sent: Mon, Mar 28, 2011 1:53 pm
Subject: RE: Wet Canvas Live

Thank you for sharing your comments which I have passed along to others.

Happiness,

Julie

(Here is what I wrote to F+W)

I want to thank F+W for offering the exceptional series of demonstrations and lectures by Johannes Vloothuis. I haven't miss a one and I can tell you that after studying for many years with many great teachers, this has been the best learning experience I have had on landscape painting. There are only a few more classes, but I am looking forward to purchasing some of the videos and hopefully being able to attend more of his classes if offered. Sincerely, Rena Derieg

Johannes Instructor
03-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Here are the tree samples

winecountry
03-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks!
looks like I missed a lot on the green tree sample, I'll have to get the video for sure

susanc
03-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Oh, you have grasses, too. Just what I needed some help with (besides the trees!) Thanks--

tjsb
03-28-2011, 06:24 PM
I would like to add my deep appreciation for your dedication to your students. You have shared so much information with us and have been diligent in making sure each of us comprehends the lessons. No one can hold you responsible for computer glitches. You have done everything possible to provide a means of sharing the live demos with us. Actually watching the paint hit the paper imparts a deeper understanding for me. Many thanks.

LynnM
03-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Yes, seeing you do it is so helpful....I couldn't be there this weekend, so I will be getting the video for sure....I appreciate your posting the samples, maybe with those, and Robert's notes I can do something with the homework.

Sheri Hammond
03-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Thank you so much Johannes for your clear concise style of teaching and encourgement which gives us confidence to go forward and create. I was so confused about the rules of composition I almost gave up painting. The video came in perfect for me also no problems. I so look forward to the week end and our time together I don't want it to end!!! I have ordered most of the books you recommended and find them all extreamly valuable. Thanks again Sheri Hammond

Johannes Instructor
03-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Here is the tree from Sunday

Johannes Instructor
03-28-2011, 09:49 PM
[quote=Johannes Instructor]Here is the tree from Sunday

Johannes Instructor
03-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I just noticed there was a triangle in a dark area that slipped by me. I also worked on it a bit more.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2011/135220-joetreea.jpg

gwatford
03-28-2011, 10:12 PM
My husband and I were watching an western movie last night after your webinar and I couldn't focus on the movie. I was too interested in searching for melodic lines in the mountain range, interesting trees, and abstract shapes in general!!! Do you know if some of your principles are used in finding great landscapes in the movies? By the way... I couldn't keep quite during the movie. I was too busy pointing out the melodic lines and stuff ....so my hubby got a "little lesson" while we watched! LOL

pjreads
03-28-2011, 10:31 PM
I just noticed the "Want to help Japan" announcement at the top of this forum:
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/announcement.php?f=522

If you buy some of the Johannes recommended books (and other F&W products & services) on Wednesday, 30 March, then F&W will contribute 50% of the profits to the American Red Cross to help Japan (medical care and relief assistance).
http://www.fwmedia.com/Japan

rugman
03-28-2011, 11:10 PM
I was too interested in searching for melodic lines in the mountain range, interesting trees, and abstract shapes in general!!!

ha ha, I do the same thing with movies nowadays! Also while driving down the road, sitting in the school parking lot waiting for my kids to get out, as well as analizing all the shapes whenever I see a painting hanging somewhere.

I wonder if there is a psychiastrist with cure for abstract shape obsession disorder (ASOD). :)

pamcunningham
03-29-2011, 12:33 AM
Johannes: I may have missed a portion of the Sunday demo. so I hope I am not asking a question you already answered but I was thinking about the Evergreens and the masses you create rather than individual trees. Looks great for the tall, narrow clustered Spruce etc. but what about White and Red Pine which tend to be very "open' with lots of sky gaps and , for the most part, VERY visible trunks at ground level?...difficult to create a mass?
Thank you.
Really learning a lot from your Webinars.
pam

northbank
03-29-2011, 02:26 AM
Thanks for another weekend of invaluable instructions Johannes.
I didn't discover these classes until late February, but have since been glued to my computer for every minute you are presenting. All my family and friends, even the dogs know "she's unavailable until class is over!" I have taken tons of notes and with the help of Robert's notes filling in the gap, have some really good aids to review what you've been teaching. I'm looking forward to being able to supplement with some of the videos when they are ready.
I take a watercolor class with about 10 other artists and have told all of them about the wet canvas site and the classes. I even had our teacher doing the skyline exercises.......and half of my non-artist neighbors, it was such a simple looking little exercise, but so very challenging to do correctly.

I nearly drove off the road twice today as I admired all the abstract shapes in the spring landscape. I promise to be more careful.:eek:

FYI, I have had no trouble with the video on any of the streams you have used. All have been fine for me and I am on a 1.5MB wireless network, which is really not a lot of bandwidth.

Committing every weekend to the computer can be difficult, but if you're there, I'll be there. Here's hoping you and/or F & W find a way to do more of these classes for us. Here's a virtual hug for all you've done. (((o)))

northbank
03-29-2011, 02:46 AM
Johannes,
I'm relatively new to painting and watercolor and am still experimenting to really gain some kind of proficiency with the medium. The tree demos and discussion on edges have been particularly valuable to me.

Do you have any more "secrets" to help me loosen up in my paintings? I tend to get caught up in too much detail no matter how loose I begin. I do not want to paint water color illustrations, but find that is where I end up.

Any exercises or nuggets to help get past this hang up?
Diane

Artglo
03-29-2011, 07:12 AM
Thank you all, you are all very generous people. The demo on Sunday was great and I had no problems getting in. I received the email with very clear instructions, thank you.

Johannes Instructor
03-29-2011, 08:21 AM
My husband and I were watching an western movie last night after your webinar and I couldn't focus on the movie. I was too interested in searching for melodic lines in the mountain range, interesting trees, and abstract shapes in general!!! Do you know if some of your principles are used in finding great landscapes in the movies? By the way... I couldn't keep quite during the movie. I was too busy pointing out the melodic lines and stuff ....so my hubby got a "little lesson" while we watched! LOL
I let my wife drive when we are in country. I can't keep my eyes on the road for the same reasons you are mentioning. Actually if you paint the tree like you see them in the movies that are not high def you will probably get them right.

Johannes Instructor
03-29-2011, 08:26 AM
ha ha, I do the same thing with movies nowadays! Also while driving down the road, sitting in the school parking lot waiting for my kids to get out, as well as analizing all the shapes whenever I see a painting hanging somewhere.

I wonder if there is a psychiastrist with cure for abstract shape obsession disorder (ASOD). :)

Welcome to the world of an artist. You now have the curse and you are stuck with it forever. But yes seeing everything in abstract shapes makes you appreciate nature more than how we normally would take for granted. Your eyes are open to a new world, more beautiful now. You will see visual harmony and music every where. You can appreciate the melodic lines of crashing waves dancing as they move. Trees will talk to you as the wind whispers thru their foliage. The gaps between things opening your once latent mind to enjoy negative spaces. When you are in front of a canvas you will create your own universe and live in it for that moment of time.

Johannes Instructor
03-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Johannes,
I'm relatively new to painting and watercolor and am still experimenting to really gain some kind of proficiency with the medium. The tree demos and discussion on edges have been particularly valuable to me.

Do you have any more "secrets" to help me loosen up in my paintings? I tend to get caught up in too much detail no matter how loose I begin. I do not want to paint water color illustrations, but find that is where I end up.

Any exercises or nuggets to help get past this hang up?
Diane
I think we should do follow alongs. That you follow me on the cam while I paint and you paint. Let's see if we can get this in. To not get caught up in detail put away the photo once the main things are painted and work only within the poetry of the painting.

Johannes Instructor
03-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Johannes: I may have missed a portion of the Sunday demo. so I hope I am not asking a question you already answered but I was thinking about the Evergreens and the masses you create rather than individual trees. Looks great for the tall, narrow clustered Spruce etc. but what about White and Red Pine which tend to be very "open' with lots of sky gaps and , for the most part, VERY visible trunks at ground level?...difficult to create a mass?
Thank you.
Really learning a lot from your Webinars.
pam

The mass planning I taught you is a battle plan. You stick with it till near the end. That's when you can start making changes and exceptions to see if the painting can support it. Obviously we would like to add some tree branches catching highlight or like you say a dead pine tree that is a light gray. All minor things go later. Your instinct will tell youn how far you can go. However if we don't do mass planning and start to throw random values everywhere we end up with a discordant painting. Even if you add lets say that dead gray pine tree to a mid dark mass, if you can connect it with the mid value grass it will work.

gwatford
03-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Welcome to the world of an artist. You now have the curse and you are stuck with it forever. But yes seeing everything in abstract shapes makes you appreciate nature more than how we normally would take for granted. Your eyes are open to a new world, more beautiful now. You will see visual harmony and music every where. You can appreciate the melodic lines of crashing waves dancing as they move. Trees will talk to you as the wind whispers thru their foliage. The gaps between things opening your once latent mind to enjoy negative spaces. When you are in front of a canvas you will create your own universe and live in it for that moment of time.

I love the way you worded how I am feeling! Before I thought I was "seeing" but after your class the view is so much richer and deeper! I'm copying your quote and putting on the wall in my studio just incase I should ever forget!!!!

DonaldRae
03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
I stayed home for the winter(from down south) just to take in your classes , I look forward each week for the weekend to come ,to enjoy your classes ,I know FW will want to schedule more classes ,perhaps in the fall ?

gwatford
03-29-2011, 10:36 AM

If you find someone to help with (ASOD) you will have to let me know! Just kidding, there is no cure... even if we wanted one!!! By the way, I noticed we live in the same part of the world, which is truly filled many beautiful places that feed this obsession!!! :)

rugman
03-29-2011, 12:51 PM
If you find someone to help with (ASOD) you will have to let me know! Just kidding, there is no cure... even if we wanted one!!! By the way, I noticed we live in the same part of the world, which is truly filled many beautiful places that feed this obsession!!! :)

Im in Cheyenne as well. You are probably right, no cure for ASOD!:D We are blessed to live where we do.

jfwalton
03-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks, Johannes, for the great Webinar. I have learned so much from you. I have taken many workshops but have learned more from you. I actually took a one day workshop from Clyde Aspevig in Montana in 1987 and saw him do a Quick Draw that year at the Western Rendezvous of Art in Helena, Mt. He was so surprised that it was auctioned so high that he gave the purchasers another painting, too! Long time ago!
Also wanted you to know I purchased 4 of your recommended books from Northlight. The total was much less than I would pay for a workshop. I figured it was a good purchase toward having you continue to teach this way. I just recently retired from nursing and am painting again. Thanks so much.

jfwalton
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Oh, forgot to tell you, I started the webinar in February and have had no complaints:) with the video or sound. Because of your teaching, I am having trouble finding appropriate photos due to looking for masses, etc. Need to photo with your lessons!

jfwalton
03-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Oh, forgot to tell you, I started the webinar in February and have had no complaints:) with the video or sound. Because of your teaching, I am having trouble finding appropriate photos due to looking for masses, etc. Need to photo with your lessons!No mistakes, only lessons.

JFountain
03-29-2011, 01:40 PM
I have been enjoying this class so so much. It definitely shows in my approach to how I think before I paint. It's helped me in so many ways I can't describe it. I will continue to send you new stuff on Facebook so you can see the things i've learned from your instruction teach. Thank you so much Johannes. Sincerely Jermel Fountain

Johannes Instructor
03-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Oh, forgot to tell you, I started the webinar in February and have had no complaints:) with the video or sound. Because of your teaching, I am having trouble finding appropriate photos due to looking for masses, etc. Need to photo with your lessons!
Finding real good photos is like collecting rare stamps. However we can integrate several photos for one composition.

sherrysherman
03-29-2011, 02:05 PM
I am now aware of how lacking so many of my photos are....

OTOH, I am now able to use photos I couldn't use before because I have ideas for combining, deleting, rearranging, creating planes, etc. When I adhered more closely to the photo, the photo alone had to be a complete winner. I was running out of those!

mcbru
03-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Im in Cheyenne as well. You are probably right, no cure for ASOD!:D We are blessed to live where we do.

Dear Rugman,
While not in the medical profession, I have found a treatment for ASOD that seems to help; sunshine, tall trees, rivers, Budweiser or wine, and absolutely no time commitments, oh yes don't forget the sketch pad.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rugman
03-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Dear Rugman,
While not in the medical profession, I have found a treatment for ASOD that seems to help; sunshine, tall trees, rivers, Budweiser or wine, and absolutely no time commitments, oh yes don't forget the sketch pad.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great plan to me! Although not a cure, definetly help curb the symptoms. Is it a BYOB (bring your own "beverage"), or do supply refreshments?

Amandine
03-29-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm sorry to say that last Sunday video went so-so for me. :crying: All this due to my |!"/$%?&*(*&?%$/"! satellite internet connection. :D But, it's been the best so-so video I have watched from the beginning. Easy to access. Sound and image (when had them) were very clear. I enlarged my screen to 150 % so that it would hide most of the chat. Unfortunately, my screen was freezing every 2-3 minutes, had to refresh it (that was taking 30-35 seconds each time). But, I got a big part of the demo. And what was so funny, sound was coming before the image so, I was hearing Jo brushing strongly on his canvas but the brush wasn't moving ...:lol: :lol:

P.S. to Johannes : I crossed my fingers, I swear ; next time, I'll cross my toes too.

claude j greengrass
03-30-2011, 09:27 AM
ha ha, I do the same thing with movies nowadays! Also while driving down the road, sitting in the school parking lot waiting for my kids to get out, as well as analyzing all the shapes whenever I see a painting hanging somewhere.

I wonder if there is a psychiatrist with cure for abstract shape obsession disorder (ASOD). I hope to develop ASOD in the Urban environment, seeing abstract shapes in man-made objects, melodic cityscape skylines and streets, with strong shapes, interlocks, and few if any dead spots and somehow slow the fast straight lines that dominate these landscape.

Dot Hoffman
03-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Jo, because of your webinars, I hardly use my photos after I put down the initial sketch and basic forms. Freedom! Thank you for a giant step.

claude j greengrass
03-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Yesterday evening I stopped at Borders and picked up a copy of Art West and American Artists: Watercolor. Over a second cup of coffee, I noticed that the March issue of "Plein Air Painting" will feature a series on the 'anatomy of landscape' and include an article by Clyde Aspevig.

dartistflame
03-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Johannes-everyone has pretty much said it all about how great the classes are and how much they mean to us. I feel it will make me a better teacher and my goal is to have students that will be "awakened" and challenged to look at the world around us.......thanks again.

Johannes Instructor
03-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Johannes-everyone has pretty much said it all about how great the classes are and how much they mean to us. I feel it will make me a better teacher and my goal is to have students that will be "awakened" and challenged to look at the world around us.......thanks again.
Are you an art teacher? if so I congratulate you that you put aside the ego and are attending these classes. We never stop learning. I hope by wording these concepts clearly you will be able to convey these with more clarity to your students. Even top artists take workshops with each other.

paskavau
03-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Johannes, what great classes you offer us! I learned so much in the last weeks. This classes are a great learning opportunity for me, for I cannot go to normal classes by my health status. I learned to see in a new way.

In many cases I was displeased with my paintings and often I coudn't see what was really wrong. You opened my eyes!

By the way I´m very glad to be only a landscape painter and not a portraitist: So my wife looks fortunately still like my wife and she is not converted to abstract shapes,melodic lines and value masses.

Thank you Johannes for the classes and thank you Robert for your very helpfull notes.

Johannes Instructor
03-30-2011, 04:42 PM
What does OSAD stand for?

sherrysherman
03-30-2011, 04:59 PM
A made-up problem: Abstract Shape Obsession Disorder.

It started with the exchanges about seeing abstract shapes everywhere, TV, movies, driving down the road, sitting in the school parking lot, etc. Someone (Rugman/ Ron, I think) wrote: "I wonder if there is a psychiastrist with a cure for abstract shape obsession disorder (ASOD)." That coined the term.

Someone else (mcbru) wrote:
"Dear Rugman,
While not in the medical profession, I have found a treatment for ASOD that seems to help; sunshine, tall trees, rivers, Budweiser or wine, and absolutely no time commitments, oh yes don't forget the sketch pad. "

This sounded good to all. :)

Johannes Instructor
03-30-2011, 05:07 PM
A made-up problem: Abstract Shape Obsession Disorder.

It started with the exchanges about seeing abstract shapes everywhere, TV, movies, driving down the road, sitting in the school parking lot, etc. Someone (Rugman/ Ron, I think) wrote: "I wonder if there is a psychiastrist with a cure for abstract shape obsession disorder (ASOD)." That coined the term.

Someone else (mcbru) wrote:
"Dear Rugman,
While not in the medical profession, I have found a treatment for ASOD that seems to help; sunshine, tall trees, rivers, Budweiser or wine, and absolutely no time commitments, oh yes don't forget the sketch pad. "

This sounded good to all. :)
HAHAHAHA

rugman
03-30-2011, 11:50 PM

Jo, you've created an epidemic!!:evil: :) (ASOD)

I hope to develop ASOD in the Urban environment, seeing abstract shapes in man-made objects, melodic cityscape skylines and streets, with strong shapes, interlocks, and few if any dead spots and somehow slow the fast straight lines that dominate these landscape.

By the spirit of your comment, I think your in the beginning stages of ASOD! Its a great thing. Very addicting... in a positive manner:D

Obion
03-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi Question:How can I open these oil Tube caps - can anyone help me. I have decided to do an oil painting but the Oil tubes caps are stuck fast and wont open, they had been stored for about 4yrs and some are fearly new tubes. Any advise would be much appreciated. Have tried turps but still wont open... Have been working with water color and since being in Johannes class's have decided to try oils again...
Barbara

Johannes Instructor
03-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi Question:How can I open these oil Tube caps - can anyone help me. I have decided to do an oil painting but the Oil tubes caps are stuck fast and wont open, they had been stored for about 4yrs and some are fearly new tubes. Any advise would be much appreciated. Have tried turps but still wont open... Have been working with water color and since being in Johannes class's have decided to try oils again...
Barbara
Pour the the hottest tap water over the caps then use a cloth or pliers to open. That I guarantee will work.

Obion
03-31-2011, 11:43 PM
Hi Johannes, Thank you will do just that.:crossfingers:

Colorix
04-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Jo, you've created an epidemic!!:evil: :) (ASOD)

Viral marketing! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2011/117343-34523-sick.gif + http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2011/117343-at_museum.gif = http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2011/117343-artistic.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2011/117343-artist_painting.gif

Johannes Instructor
04-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi Johannes, Thank you will do just that.:crossfingers:

Did it work?

cuidado
04-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Barbara

For acrylic paints, a rubber glove works very well. I keep one with my paints. You don't even have to put it on, just hold it.

LynnM
04-01-2011, 10:26 AM
My mum used to use a cigarette lighter.....I had some very blackened tops at one point :)

Sunny7
04-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Barbara

A nut-cracker works for me :)

Johannes Instructor
04-01-2011, 03:06 PM
A nut-cracker works for me :)
The solutions that some of you are giving will work as long as the paint does not become a binder between the cap and the pigment. When this happens if you use what some of you are suggesting will tear the metal econtainer. I'm sure he tried using pliers already and feared the tube would rip open. That is why I suggested the hot water. What it does is soften the paint like it would soften plastic and weaken the binding power.

jakstudio
04-01-2011, 06:04 PM
I really enjoyed watching you paint. I paint in acrylics and wonder how to get past the change in color that happens.

Johannes Instructor
04-01-2011, 09:20 PM
I really enjoyed watching you paint. I paint in acrylics and wonder how to get past the change in color that happens.

Winsor & Newton claims their new acrylics dries very similar to how it appears wet like oils will do.

Obion
04-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Did it work?
Hi Johannes, Yes thank you it worked on all but 4, I will cut the end to access these oils... Looking forward to this weekend lesson.
Barbara :thumbsup:

Obion
04-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Thank you all who replied re oil caps stuck. Johannes suggestion place cap ends in very hot water worked great.
Barbara

Eddypus1
04-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Johannes, I've just received my copy of Powerful Watercolor Landscapes and you're right, this book is great. It touches alot of what you've been teaching. I have also purchased Carlson's Guide to Landscaping and I agree it is a bible for those who do landscapes. These 2 books are at the top for me as reference books you go back to over and over. Thanks for suggesting them and all the other books (I also have purchased).

sherrysherman
04-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Viral marketing! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2011/117343-34523-sick.gif + http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2011/117343-at_museum.gif = http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2011/117343-artistic.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2011/117343-artist_painting.gif
Charlie, I love all your little smilies! hehehe.

Johannes Instructor
04-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Johannes, I've just received my copy of Powerful Watercolor Landscapes and you're right, this book is great. It touches alot of what you've been teaching. I have also purchased Carlson's Guide to Landscaping and I agree it is a bible for those who do landscapes. These 2 books are at the top for me as reference books you go back to over and over. Thanks for suggesting them and all the other books (I also have purchased).
You can trust that I will only recommend books that I feel will further your art progress. Even though I get a commission on these book sales from Northlight, I would not recommend them for that reason alone.

jeanetteg
04-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Sunny7 the best way I know to open tubes of paint of any kind it is use a nut cracker. Be sure to hold the top of the tube just underneath the cap or you can turn the whole top off. An instructor I had back in the early 80's gave us that tip and it has worked for me ever since. I picked up several at yard sales and keep one in my oils, acrylics and watercolors. Hope this helps. JeanetteG

TerryKrysak
04-02-2011, 12:24 PM
With respect to the live painting demonstrations I thought they were great, I did not have any problems watching them at all.

I upgraded my laptop to a new one last November, and that solved all of the problem issues that I experienced watching Ustream. My old laptop froze up frequently, perhaps it is because Ustream takes up a lot of memory.

karan55
04-02-2011, 12:50 PM

I have enjoyed reading Carlson's Guide so much! I even enjoy the black and white pictures. I grew up in that area (upstate NY) so I really enjoyed the way he could take backyard trees and make them art. I went on line to see the paintings in color and they got even nicer. I want to go visit my sister in the Catskills and do some painting.
My copy of Powerful Watercolors is in the mail....can't wait!!!!!

Colorix
04-02-2011, 01:54 PM
No homework from me this week, I have 3 miserable awful trees, but an idea how to solve it! So I'll be late.

Karan, google Carlson's paintings, they're a delight in colour too, but them looking so good in bw does say something important.

Sherry, thanks, glad if they make someone smile!

pat-trew
04-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I Would Like You To Critque A Painting I Did For Homework Can I Put It Here For You To Do That? Pat Trewern.

karan55
04-02-2011, 06:55 PM
No homework from me this week, I have 3 miserable awful trees, but an idea how to solve it! So I'll be late.

Karan, google Carlson's paintings, they're a delight in colour too, but them looking so good in bw does say something important.

Sherry, thanks, glad if they make someone smile!

I did Goggle Carlson and found StapletonKearns.blogspot; He had more than 20 paintings of Carlson's. I was really intrigued with his paintings and excited that I recognized many of the locations in the Catskills and Adirondacks.

PS...I got a big laugh, as well, from your Icon equation! I am not sure if I have made it to the other side of the = sign.

Johannes Instructor
04-02-2011, 06:55 PM
I Would Like You To Critque A Painting I Did For Homework Can I Put It Here For You To Do That? Pat Trewern.
Post in Johannes - Student critique section

northbank
04-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I am having the most problems with painting my trees (in watercolor)
so that they have the variety of edges when they are against a background
of any kind....like the image of yours that i have attached, or say against a sky. My trees always look pasted on to the mountain or the sky. I seem to be able to do OK with the exercise of just a tree, but when I put it into the scene....blah. I don't like it. I am not getting the lost and found edges.
If there is time to demonstrate how to handle this I think it would help.

Excellent examples today...thank you!

Meanwhile, back to the easel.......http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2011/846392-Jo_61.jpg

Eddypus1
04-02-2011, 07:44 PM
I have enjoyed reading Carlson's Guide so much! I even enjoy the black and white pictures. I grew up in that area (upstate NY) so I really enjoyed the way he could take backyard trees and make them art. I went on line to see the paintings in color and they got even nicer. I want to go visit my sister in the Catskills and do some painting.
My copy of Powerful Watercolors is in the mail....can't wait!!!!!

I'm sure you'll find it great too. The book is not just for watercolorists. I've been painting for several years and taken many classes and never was I told of any of the points in this book and from Joe's lessons.
Thanks Johannes for enlightening me.:D :D :D :D :cat:

Johannes Instructor
04-02-2011, 08:32 PM
I am having the most problems with painting my trees (in watercolor)
so that they have the variety of edges when they are against a background
of any kind....like the image of yours that i have attached, or say against a sky. My trees always look pasted on to the mountain or the sky. I seem to be able to do OK with the exercise of just a tree, but when I put it into the scene....blah. I don't like it. I am not getting the lost and found edges.
If there is time to demonstrate how to handle this I think it would help.

Excellent examples today...thank you!

Meanwhile, back to the easel.......http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2011/846392-Jo_61.jpg
Tomorrow Sunday I will demo this.

Johannes Instructor
04-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Have you seen Maggie Price's webinar from last Tuesday?
http://artistsnetwork.com/artists-network-online-event-maggie-price

Her recorded webinar from less than a week ago is up for viewing now. You may want to key in to her process of cropping and doing a thumbnail sketch. She is confirming what I have been teaching you.

sherrysherman
04-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Have you seen Maggie Price's webinar from last Tuesday?
http://artistsnetwork.com/artists-network-online-event-maggie-price

Her recorded webinar is up for viewing now. That was fast. You may want to key in to her process of cropping and doing a thumbnail sketch. She is confirming what I taught you more than two months ago.
I did see it. She's a pastelist I admire, so of course.

She started out by saying that photos lie, there's too much contrast, darks too dark, lights too light, too much detail (also blues too blue, which I didn't know). Then into editing the photo:
- Crop it. What did I like about the scene?
- What can I omit? Are all these rocks helpful? What can be left out to make it stonger and simpler?
- What can I rearrange to make a better composition?

And so on. Of course, in an hour she could not get into the level of detail, examples and principles as you (Johannes) can, but it was good to hear/see quick and consistent snippets.

The only real puzzle is this: How come hers is ready for viewing and download already? And yours....? :confused:

painterted
04-03-2011, 12:55 PM
I would say that with Johannes's course, they have to do a lot of cutting or you would have a video that is 50 hr. long.

winecountry
04-03-2011, 01:16 PM
There is to be a vid for each weekend, and it has been edited by Johannes before they get it so there are multiple vids, not one and they have had them for some time now, at least the first ones.....Hopefully they are getting their act together on this and finally we will be able to download them...I hope I haven't forgotten which ones I wanted....I probably would have purchased more if they had been available as we went along. I know for sure I want the trees weekend. I keep remembering when I get impatient, that they made it possible for me to see them in the first place, and I'd like to try and support them by getting the vids.

sherrysherman
04-03-2011, 01:35 PM
There is to be a vid for each weekend, and it has been edited by Johannes before they get it so there are multiple vids, not one and they have had them for some time now, at least the first ones.....Hopefully they are getting their act together on this and finally we will be able to download them...I hope I haven't forgotten which ones I wanted....I probably would have purchased more if they had been available as we went along. I know for sure I want the trees weekend. I keep remembering when I get impatient, that they made it possible for me to see them in the first place, and I'd like to try and support them by getting the vids.
Good point. Good to remember. Thanks, Colleen. :)

I hope Johannes's synopsis of each weekend video is complete enough that it will remind us which ones we wanted.

winecountry
04-03-2011, 01:47 PM
after watching Maggies vid, I hope F and W, because they are publishers, are not trying to make his vids look like that, I like his freer more conversational style and the relaxed flow, more like a real workshop instead of a book thing...
more engaging IMO.

cranbrook
04-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I am so looking forward to today's demo. Like so many of you who are responding to this thread, I am learning so much from his weekend lessons.

jfwalton
04-03-2011, 02:06 PM
I too watched Maggie's video. I was appreciative of the review of what Johannes has been teaching! I prefer Johannes as he explains the whys of what he is doing. I love the books he recommended. Mastering Composition is the best book on Comp I have ever found. Powerful Watercolor Landscapes is marvelous for all artists, full of descriptions. Carlson's was recommended by Clyde 24 years ago( in a one day workshop) and Carlson's has been referred to frequently.Wish I hadn't had such a long break in painting from then until now! Two others, Landscape Painting and Capturing the Moment in Oils are not here yet. I have been to many workshops by very good artists but they can't teach. Johannes is by far the best teacher.

jfwalton
04-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Buying four books is equivalent in price:clap: to a one day workshop from a lesser known artist. I figured it was a way to have the knowledge at my fingertips and to support Johannes for future workshops.

Johannes Instructor
04-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Good point. Good to remember. Thanks, Colleen. :)

I hope Johannes's synopsis of each weekend video is complete enough that it will remind us which ones we wanted.
The videos that will be for purchase have a description under them so you can remember which ones you want.

Grainne
04-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I watched Maggie's webinar as well.

Hers was a PowerPoint presentation with only video clips to illustrate a couple of points she was making and no live demonstrations so it was already "in the can," for the most part, so to speak. However, I still was wondering how they were able to have it ready for re-viewing by the participants so quickly if it's such an onerous thing for to create. Apparently it was a priority for them.

I prefer the live interaction rather than a PowerPoint presentation. I believe the PowerPoint was what Sterling Edwards did for F&W as well. The live demonstrations with the ability to watch the actual painting and decision making process is far more instructive in my opinion.

Since the videos of Johannes' demonstrations and webinars are being submitted to F&W already edited, it's hard to understand why the long delay in getting them out to a waiting public who have been so faithful in their support, both of the weekend webinars and WetCanvas, and in buying the books, etc.

I don't think the people waiting for the videos expect it to be a slick Hollywood-esque production. They just want the information so they can get on with putting into practice what they've learned, for which review in the form of the videos at home would be so helpful :)

If you really want to sell a product, the old adage "Strike while the iron is hot" comes to mind :)

Grainne

BGorski
04-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Outstanding lesson/demo today, Maestro. With the Do's and Don'ts from yesterday, it was as perfect an art-learning weekend, as it could be.

Thank you so much for your dedication to all of us in your effort. Please also thank Ken, and especially your wife for losing you for so many weekends.

Stay blest, as you have blest all of us with your time and great talent both as an artist and as a teacher.

bob gorski

Johannes Instructor
04-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Outstanding lesson/demo today, Maestro. With the Do's and Don'ts from yesterday, it was as perfect an art-learning weekend, as it could be.

Thank you so much for your dedication to all of us in your effort. Please also thank Ken, and especially your wife for losing you for so many weekends.

Stay blest, as you have blest all of us with your time and great talent both as an artist and as a teacher.

bob gorski
It seems that the painting demos is what you all like the most. Good to know. Personally I prefer to paint than lecture so fine by me.

gardenart
04-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Johannes,
It really brings home the points you make when we see them put into action.
The demos are icing on the cake. Your brush strokes are so confident and it is pleasure to watch you paint in any medium,plus an excellent learning experience for us.
Sue

Johannes Instructor
04-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Johannes,
It really brings home the points you make when we see them put into action.
The demos are icing on the cake. Your brush strokes are so confident and it is pleasure to watch you paint in any medium,plus an excellent learning experience for us.
Sue
If only a video or photo could mirror the original.

Colorix
04-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Some months ago, I watched the McKinley webinar, and I saw the Price one too, as both are highly respected artists and teachers, and I really like their work.

As it happens, both these webinars were in the same powerpoint format. You'd have to buy their dvds to see live demos. You'd have to buy their books to get more in-depth teaching.

karan55
04-04-2011, 09:54 AM
It seems that the painting demos is what you all like the most. Good to know. Personally I prefer to paint than lecture so fine by me.

I love the demos, but, I have also gotten a lot (more than a lot) out of the lectures, homework reviews and the photoshop demonstrations..(they really show immediate cause and effect). The combination of the lectures, demos, and the Wetcanvas forum has been such a powerful learning experience for me. What a blessing this experience has been; I cannot thank you enough!!!!!