PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Sunday 27th March 2011 ***

doppler
03-27-2011, 02:46 AM
Good evening all.

Geoff I was trying to save you :)

Busy day here ... more WMD but gosh the garden is looking kempt again. Not the vege garden ... that shall await. I found our first choko too. :thumbsup: Tons will no doubt follow.

Might have to prune and dig up the sweet potatoes ... the vines are taking over.

Any way ... not too much more at present. Have caught knee-monia myself and am watching the Grand Prix.

BBL :wave:

Johnnie
03-27-2011, 03:03 AM
Watching the F1 race here right now. Sure is a nice sunny day. They be replaying it all day for those who missed it.

Wish my PS3 Formula One 2010 had the nice sunny effects in like it is on tv.. oh well can't have it all. If your a game its the best F1 game so far. Just awesome. Graphics are Wow !!

Have a good day all.. Cold here -10C

Johnnie

Yorky
03-27-2011, 03:38 AM
Good morning Annie, lol at WMD :)

Hi Johnnie, my reactions are too slow for games apart from freecell ;)

Pretty dull this morning and 44F.

Just saw the finish of the F1 race.

Nothing on the cards today.

Doug

nola276
03-27-2011, 03:42 AM
Howdie Doodie everyone,

Whooppee - have finished and posted my first gouache painting in the Gouache Forum. Have to pack away the paints now, so they are ready to go to LONI. Next week, lots of visitors and lots of caravan cleaning. I am going to need my 5 months of doing nothing (except painting, fishing and catching up with good friends):evil:.

Annie, you're so busy in the garden. I used to enjoy gardening, but now it's all too hard, easy care is what I like - water when needed and prune with a chain saw.:lol::lol:

Johnnie, you're a gamer too hey. We are still with the PS2, but there are some great games for it, and it comes with us to LONI.

BBL

G'Day Doug, X-posted.:wave:

shipbroker
03-27-2011, 04:10 AM
Morning all....

Well it may be first day of British Summer Time,but nobody had told the birds so I was up at 0500..but I couldn't get into start the Wash even if I wanted to......I was receiving all sorts of error messages, no dial tone, password not valid on this computer,no connexion,etc etc.......have had this a few times recently so don't know if it is the modem or the actual line .......

So went and watched the Australian GP apart from first two laps...OK but have seen better, it isn't the best course for overtaking.

Grey and quite chill here, off shortly to Thirsk Racecourse caravan site to meet another internet friend who is there for the weekend........should be an interesting natter as he is a recently retired senior fireman!

Back later

geoff

Yorky
03-27-2011, 04:20 AM
Good morning Noal - 5 months! Now that's a good break :)

Good morning Geoff, any ideas about a caravan yet?

Doug

doppler
03-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Whooppee - have finished and posted my first gouache painting in the Gouache Forum.

... and prune with a chain saw.:lol::lol:

And a totally gorgeous vibrant painting too Nola!

Yup! Chainsaw on a stick! :evil: Still more to do.

Morning Doug ... Geoff the F1 was a tad processional. Weather nice .. unusual for Melbourne. BTW how do they change tyres in 2.8 seconds when it takes the local lot half a day plus tea breaks?

Johnnie :wave:

Got to go and serve the dissolving slow cook ... oops and bake some veges to go with it :eek: . I think I forgot to turn the oven on.

BBL

OK back earlier than expected ...
In my shame .. Hap ... a REALLY belated but very Happy Birthday wish for you. :cat: :heart: Glad you are improving.

Kay .. a flash flood? Groomzilla? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I really have to go because I did forget to turn the oven on.

Scene Chaser
03-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Good Day all,
Don't know much about car racing nor gaming.

Yes, Nola, five months off sounds like retirement.

I am finishing a "Frankenstein" test today for the eleventh grade and a "Lord of the Flies" test for the twelfth grade. :(

Will plan another painting, too
Bill

nola276
03-27-2011, 05:38 AM
5 months is seriously decadent hey guys:evil:

I loved lord of the flies when I was at school, although it did scare the life out of me. Nice painting Bill.

laudesan
03-27-2011, 05:53 AM
:wave:

I went out last night, to a fund raiser quiz night for Reece's Rugby Leagues club. Our table struggled. We won no prizes, but Mandy's daughter won a raffle. A full comprehensive car clean. It was a very late night, as we went back to Tania's for coffee, dessert and a movie.

love - hugs and healing vibes.. :grouphug:

painterbear
03-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Good Morning all,
It is quarter to six in the a.m. here in chilly and dark Oakwood.

Buttermilk Pancakes and sausages for breakfast today before we head out to buy some fresh veggies and fruit at the grocery store.

I hope to paint some more feathers later today on my Carnavale Mask. Gotta keep plugging away at it or it will never get done. Rare for me, I have another painting in mind for when this one is finished. Feels good not to have to wonder what I should paint. ?????

Annie, Must confess, I have no idea what a "choko" is???? We have some landscaping clean up to do also. Our Pampas grasses are totally out of control and need to be cut back so the new growth has room to emerge. Will do that when the weather warms up a little bit next week.

Ellen, Congratulations on the good news about your son and your impending Grandmother- and Grandfather-hood! My oldest daughter's birthday is Halloween. :D

Bill, Interesting reading selections for your higher grade classes. I've read Lord of the Flies but not Frankenstein.

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

doppler
03-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Hi Syl .. I do hope you finsh your mask. It is a brilliant picture.

Re chokos .. here's a start (pretty generic but we've eaten ours so photos not in order) ... here (http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.formulaforlife.com.au/data/images/vl_choko.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.formulaforlife.com.au/asp/vegetables.asp%3Fcmd%3Dshow%26vegetableid%3D21&usg=__retVxAmuDV0KSBayb_vW3kguElk=&h=137&w=213&sz=5&hl=en&start=35&zoom=1&tbnid=zrl_9dXRMPlVZM:&tbnh=109&tbnw=170&ei=OxSPTfSyKIXUvQPwqYCpDQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dchoko%2Bvine%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_enAU384AU384%26biw%3D1899%26bih%3D820%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C764&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=1038&vpy=435&dur=1625&hovh=109&hovw=170&tx=102&ty=68&oei=MhSPTYLpKoe8vwO-9tmqDQ&page=2&ndsp=33&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:35&biw=1899&bih=820)

Lots/most of people hate them. I love them ... slowly roasted with a cheese sauce after. You can make "apple" pie from them by cooking them in apple juice. I suspect that most of our "pie apple fruit" is actually choko.

I've really got to go and put the head on a pillow now ... either that or finish watching the Midsomer murderers pick off the county stragglers. :wave:

Uschi
03-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Good MOrning Everyone!!!

-13C. Once again cold but nothing but sunshine:thumbsup:

As mentioned yesterday, Connie and Wes are coming over for brunch. Afterwards I'll probably continue framing those little paintings.

The snow from the other day is still on the ground, I wonder if the daffodils are growing a bit more underneath.

Annie, I also didn't know what choke were, thanks for the link.

Sylvia, great job on the feathers!!!!

JJ, glad you had a nice evening out!!!

Hi Johnnie!!!

Nola, your Gouache painting is GORGEOUS!!!!!

:wave: to Doug and Geoff and all yet to come!!!

:grouphug:Ona, Darla :grouphug:

Uschi

Strawberry Wine
03-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Morning Washers! Frigid here again this morning -11 C. but once again the sun is shining brilliantly The poor Robins are flying around early this morning, landing then taking flight, landing......, looking for a bit of unfrozen ground. Not sure if that is going to happen today. Thinking they will be forced to eat the last of the withered berries remaining on a few trees.

Annie, thanks for the link to Chokos. Are they related to a green pepper? Similar to Okra? Is there something else that tastes similar??

Bill, I am rather surprised that Lord of the Flies is still on the required reading list... What about To Kill A Mockingbird? Will take a look at your painting.

Nola, I could adjust to a few months of camper life. Preferably from January to April somewhere where the climate is warn and dry. Will check out your gouache painting in a bit.

:wave: to Johnnie, Geoff and Doug !!!

Sylvia, your painting is coming along beautifully.. I see you are using Char's OPAT approach.. Works for many things!

JJ, sounds like you had a fun evening.

Dan is going to help me organize the chest freezer this morning... After so many years of knowing exactly what and where everything was in an Upright freezer I really, really, dislike the chest type... Much more energy efficient though. (sigh)

SO I am up to get another coffee and move around for a bit.. I will be so glad when the weather warms and I can do my slow walk around the garden each morning.

EDIT: Morning Uschi, enjoy your breakfast!!!! I am worried because we did not get the snow so all the flower beds are bare and frozen... The daffodils and the crocus are growing though.

Cheers,

Gail

laudesan
03-27-2011, 08:14 AM
.............. Chokos. Are they related to a green pepper? Similar to Okra? Is there something else that tastes similar?? Choko have no taste. I personally am not fond of them, but I have eaten them. I liken them to eating bland squash :-))

Strawberry Wine
03-27-2011, 08:17 AM
YUCK ! :)

Gail

CharM
03-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Good morning from a cold and sunny SW of Ontario... the robins have returned en force and the little goldfinches are beginning to turn yellow... the birds at the feeder station are still ravenous, though... there's still ice on our little lake... the year we moved here, it was such a warm spring that Chris and Jon went swimming in March... :eek:

Late yesterday, a huge chunk of icey snow came off the roof... and it took out the water tap outside... only we didn't know that... until Matt discovered that the basement floor was really, really wet! :eek: The broken tap had flooded a window well and that water was pouring into the basement. Somehow, we'd forgotten to shut the water off to that tap in the fall, which Ted did right away... and so the water cleanup began... there's more to do today, but not too much of the carpeting got wet...

Nothing in life is easy...

Ted did get the wall repaired from the section that had been removed when the damaged waste pipe was removed on Friday. Now, I have to get the paint to get that finished.

Matt brought his girl home to dinner last night... and our Silly Saturday meal was fajitas and tacos... lots of fun prepping and cooking that!

I have some laundry to do today... there are LOTS of wet, dirty towels to be dealt with, along with our regular washloads for the week. Other than getting a small pork roast on for tonight's dinner, I don't have any other plans once the basement is dealt with.

Hi Annie... thanks for the link about chokoes... interesting that they were not introduced to North America...

Five months of bliss, Nola... not a bad retirement at all!!!

Hi Geoff... a nice natter, eh? :)

Hi Bill... yes, I also read Lord of the Flies but not Frankenstein...

Your mask is coming along beautifully Sylvia... just a few feathers at a time... it'll be finished before you know it!

Hi Uschi... my small paintings are still selling, too... In fact, I got a little cheque in the mail on Friday and couldn't remember what painting it was for... I don't scan these little ones, so I don't know what I sold! :lol:

Hi Gail... yes, it's a problem with chest freezers that we just have to live with... I inventory mine about every six months because things make their way to the bottom and get forgotten...

Hi Johnnie, Doug, JJ and all yet to come... I need a second cup of coffee this morning... and then... let the cleaning begin... :rolleyes: I hope everyone has the best possible day!

painterbear
03-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Hi Annie... thanks for the link about chokoes... interesting that they were not introduced to North America...

:lol: Chokos by another name are Chayote which originated in Mexico and were brought to Europe and other countries by early explorers just as the tomato and potato were.

Gail, Yep, I am using Char's OPAT only this time it is OFAT. ;) I'm sticking with my upright freezer, it is hard enough finding things in it, can't imagine trying to find things in a chest freezer. :rolleyes:

Char, Glad you got that broken waste pipe fixed; yikes, about the outdoor water tap though. What a mess to clean up.

:wave: to all again, have to get dressed now. Larry is doing his first exercise session of the day and then we'll be off shopping, so I need to put some outdoor clothes on before then. ;)

SYL,

Sylvia

Strawberry Wine
03-27-2011, 09:00 AM
:grouphug: Char and Ted :grouphug: Do you have a
dehumidifier and a large fan? If so, place them in the area of dampness The combination of the two, kept turned on for a few days, should remove most of the dampness and prevent mildew. That is what the insurance company's people did when my Step Dad's basement was flooded.

Yeah, I know, re the difficulties with the chest freezer.. The other problem is I can only bend over for a few seconds then I mutter and curse and shut the lid. Then I try again to straighten it out and the same thing happens all over again. which is why Dan is being commissioned today to help. :)

Bill, your painting looks great. I love the addition of the figure.

Nola, your flower is stunning !!! I agree with Annie, it needs to be framed.

Cheers,

Gail

Flattwo
03-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi to All

Watcheing the Brazil v Scotland soccer match on tv, still 0-0, they have only played 11 minutes, 79 to go!

Geoff, I'm sure there will be a few burning issues o discuss!

Henry

shipbroker
03-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Afternoon all.....

17c here.........too hot!...in the shade only about 10c though.....am chopping down my clematis in garden as it is 10 years since I last pruned it and there are already three car full loads for the tip.......lots of old birds nests.

Yes, good natter this morning, interesting to talk to a caravanning fireman about last weekend!.............just told my daughter today of the fire,she's happy as no injuries.

Right some chilled melon then back into the heat..........sorry about the weather in North America/Canada!!

(((((to anyone in need today)))))

rgds

geoff

CharM
03-27-2011, 09:56 AM
...yes... I'm taking a break already... bending is not the easiest thing for me to do these days... and my metal has been giving me fits since last Thursday... but I shall prevail!

In the meantime... laundry, at least, is being conquered...

Gail... we don't have a dehumidifier... but we do have one of those low profile industrial fans to place on the floor...

Henry... :rolleyes: :lol:

You hadn't told your daughter what happened until today??? Geoff... I'd have been seriously p*ssed with you... :p

I took a minute and peeked into the Challenge thread... Bill your version is beautifully done, especially with the addition of that figure... it's very... British... :)

Nola, your gouache floral is drop dead gorgeous!!! I love that orange!

Ok... I'm heading back to the salt mine...

Europa
03-27-2011, 10:38 AM
AFTERNOON WASHGANGEROOS!!!

Well I completely forgot that the clocks went forward last night so ended up going to bed around 4am.....LOL.

Again nothing much planned today - a bit more dusting around my room and sorting stuff out then it is finished. Done some reorganising in the garden - moving my fairy grotto and fairy windchimes (do I like fairies - of course.....LOL)

They are predicting hot weather and a cracking summer this year (again) although must admit the current weather is lovely - so glad it is going to be nice for when Moira and the family are over - they land here on Thursday morning - can't wait.

Well the dusting won't do itself (as my grandmother used to say)....but am going to look at the galleries before I start.

Waving to everyone :wave:

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

shipbroker
03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
You hadn't told your daughter what happened until today??? Geoff... I'd have been seriously p*ssed with you...

Char,apart from two sets of friends that belong to the same group,who had heard 'through the grapevine' anyway...we have told nobody other than the two insurance companies involved.....Eileen doesn't like talking about it so least said, at moment, the better,as far as she is concerned. We probably won't let the rest of the family,hers,know until we have another one on the drive!

Had to come in as so warm in garden....have filled three x 1 cub.metre builders bags to take down tomorrow...............time for dinner soon, gammon shank with maple syrup sauce....

cheers

geoff

ScarletLake
03-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Morning All

A sunny Sunday morning here in Ohio. Did not get any snow as was a possibility of a dusting.

Was up and down last night so finally gave in and watched a movie with Doris Day. She was one of my favorites as a child. So I got interested and looked her up on the net last night. She is still living and on April 3 or 5th:rolleyes: :rolleyes: she will be 88 yo. Turns out the movie I watched was her first movie Romance at Sea. She was so pretty.

Later today another of my favorite's the Tammy movies. I think this one has Debbie Reynolds. So I think that I will work on some little note cards while I watch the movie.

Bill -- I remember my grandmother making me sit on the porch and learn my ABC's. I also rem not being too thrilled about it. However from the time I learned to read - I read everything I could get my hands on in the library. LOVED summers when I could go to the BookMobile. Oh, I can still remember the sense of wonder as I climbed those steps to find my books. One of my favorites was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I have been wanting to read that one again. Also Helen Keller had a big impact on me as a kid. I never read any Virginia Wolfe and I think I should.

In recent years I have found that I read mainly articles in magazines. The last good book I read was the letters between Georgia O'Keefe and her friend Anita.

Ok -- I've got ham and beans in the crockpot and will make cornbread later to go with the meal. I didn't use the ham hocks this time but used cubed ham instead. We'll see how it turns out. I just don't think that you get much meat with the hocks but we may compromise on flavor.

Think DH and I will go visit the coffeeshop in alittle while.

Anita

kaypainter
03-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Hey all :wave: :wave: :wave:

Well it rained all night again. Wondering where to build my ark.

I've been looking at everyone's paintings. They are just gorgeous.

Feeling a bit :envy: as have not really painted in months. I just feel so disorganized and as Sylvia would say, discombobulated. Well maybe that will shift soon. :crossfingers:

Forgot to mention in my post yesterday, I was out running errands Thursday and saw a car stopped in front of me with this in the window:
"furtographs.com -- Pet Portraiture." I went to their website this morning. Well I had a good laugh, so here you go! (http://furtographs.com/#) My furkids would never sit still for that. Might get a shot like the one of the tail sticking out from under the furniture. :lol: :lol:

I'll say what Char and Uschi and everyone else said. And wish everyone HAWLTAIN.

Kay

ReggieS
03-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Hi all! Got a new dishwasher yesterday. It is on order and will be delivered on the 20th! It is Bosch "Revolution" and is gorgeous and doesn't sound like a train coming through the house like our old one does!

going to go paint will be back later!

Reggie

BDorsa
03-27-2011, 02:45 PM
just swinging by for a quick HELLO...I've been trying to spend less time on the computer...

:grouphug: :heart: big hugs & lots of love to all :heart: :grouphug:

Yesterday it was an honor for me to serve breakfast at the BPOE 2679 to the visiting Wounded Warriors from Walter Reed Hospital. I am a member of the ELKS Veterans Affairs Committee. The soldiers & officers were a great group of people & I enjoyed my conversations with them.

enjoy the rest of your day...I hope to catch up with everyone next week :crossfingers:

Lulu
03-27-2011, 05:14 PM
just swinging by for a quick HELLO...I've been trying to spend less time on the computer...

You and me both Bridget, must have something to do with cutting our hair??? lol You think you'll just pop in for a little look and hey presto, much more time has passed than you intended!

I have been designated our Parish Visitor (as part of a team), and so there are many more people to visit now as well as the usual elderly. Love it too, have just taken some baking out of the oven to take to someone today.
Also visiting my cousin who has been in hospital for 6 weeks critically ill with septicaemia. she has at last turned the corner.

Had a long chat on the phone the other night to a friend from Christchurch. They lost 9 friends in the 'quake:eek:

Kay, you asked in yesterday's Wash if I was on holiday. I have been, but home now until end of April when we go away again.

It's a glorious Monday morning here, so better go and hang the washing on the line and make the most of the day.

Hugs to all in need.:wave:

happhoto
03-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Just checking in Gang!

Had a bit of a "Geoff" night, at one point gave up and came out to the computer...ended up having a nice little chat with JJ. Then back to bed finally medicated into submission. Anne has been hovering over me like a mama bird today. Seems like this is trying to move down to my chest and I'm doing my best to keep it from doing so!

All in all I'm sticking to my story of feeling a "bit" better! Not up to par yet, but I'm working in that direction as best I can!!

A bit of a grey rainy day here, temps in the mid 40's so not too hot, not too cool. Anne won't let me go out and play! :rolleyes:

Choko's here are called Chayote squash, and are very similar to most summer squashes, I've never used them...perhaps I should!

Time for another cup of tea with lemon...must stay hydrated!
I'll check in later I hope!
hap

MRSBB
03-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Hey Hap. Hope you get to feeling better. I'm in the same boat and it did go to the chest. Get you some antibiotics. Tonight I fixed some nice hot chili rellenos with green chili sauce to try and sweat it out of the system. Don't know if it will work, but it sure tasted good. Get well my friend..........Lenore

ReggieS
03-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Good evening all! I painted and didn't like what I did but it was practice, at least I got my brushes wet. It was a nice relaxing day. I made a couple of nice phone calls. Just had a nice day over all! Made stir fry beef for dinner. Al loved it, he had 3 big helpings!

Now I am watching Celebrity Apprentice. The guys won again! Love this show!!

Hi Lulu- we missed you!

Hap- glad you're feeling a bit better! Hope you sleep better tonight! Anne sure loves you and you are so good to each other!!

Kay, I can see you on the deck of the ark painting a pic of the animals!! that would be a good painting for you, Kay's Ark!

Bridget- cheers fpr you serving at the Wounded Warrior's Breakfast!!!

Char- Sorry about your tap break!Hope there was no real damage in the basement! Lucky you Goldfinches already! I was just saying to Al this morning that i can't wait for ours to come and to get their bright yellow glow!

Well, time for bed! til tomorrow!

Love,

Reggie