PDA

View Full Version : Photographer wins copyright lawsuit.

Harry Seymour
03-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Here is a case that should concern those of us who use photographer's work as reference for our art. I know most are aware of these issues but some may not be.

http://jpgmag.com/news/2011/03/photographer-wins-copyright-lawsuit-against-artist-richard-prince.html?utm_source=recentnews&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=recentblogmailer

PatrickHedges
03-24-2011, 08:45 PM
I checked Richard Prince's other work out. He should be sued just for being crap :lol:

lorna12
03-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Wow...that was quite an interesting read, Harry...thanks for sharing. Everyone should read it.

Harry Seymour
03-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Patrick--he is represented by one of the premiere galleries in the world. Just goes to show that crap can rise to the top.

lorna12
03-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Ain't that the truth!! :lol:

Diana Lee
03-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Great post Harry. Good information to have. For every piece I have displayed I have contacted the photographer and recieved an email giving me the ok. I print out those emails and file them so I have electronic records and paper records. WC reference library is the exception.

Diana

sandrawillard
03-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Interesting post Harry! With the current trend of altered art there seems to be a big problem in general with folks using other peoples photographs.

I used to do what others do and sometimes use photo's from people on the internet whose images inspired me. I would also be sure to have their consent to use their images as a reference but after much soul searching I've made the personal decision (and please, nobody take this the wrong way, I'm not judging anyone) not to do this anymore for the following reasons:

The legal risk I was putting myself in should my work be requested to be licensed.
Most of the competitions I enter specifically state that my work cannot be made from another person's photograph, image, creation...etc. That it must be of my own originality. Side note - Last year a CPSA (Colored Pencil Society) member's award was publicly taken away from them for entering a work that was created from someone elses photo!
I feel a whole lot better about the entire process of creating art because it starts and ends with just little old me. I guess you could say I feel more deserving of any compliments I receive. :D

However, this comes from the perspective of a professional artist who sells her work for a living and attempts to gain an income from awards as well. I don't think that this is much of an issue for a hobbyist who is not looking to sell their work but simply share it with friends and family.

It is good to be conscious of copyright laws and I'm always thrilled to see threads like this so a big thanks for posting this Harold. :D

MuttHut
03-25-2011, 02:23 AM
I checked Richard Prince's other work out. He should be sued just for being crap :lol:

Oh ain't that the truth, that is just nasty work, I don't care how one looks at it.

Wendy