PDA

View Full Version : Blue Heron

birdlover
03-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Here is my latest. I'm debating whether to put a moon or something in the background. I'm tempted to just leave it as it. I took this picture at our local ecological reserve and the heron was kinda going through this egg laying/mating dance. So they take this stance where they are just really looking up at well nothing. Probably saying that *&(^ egg. CC are welcome. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2011/115982-blueheron_471_x_600.jpg

Diana Lee
03-24-2011, 06:24 PM
I think a moon would be distracting. I think it should stand as is. I really like the soft color.

Diana

Buggin3
03-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Very nice work, Angela. I saw a few of these fly over the house the other day. They really are beautiful birds. And Big.

I think that adding a moon would be distracting as well. I say spray it as is. :thumbsup:

artofnature
03-24-2011, 07:50 PM
A gorgeous Angela interpretation again. Loving the colour and his composure. Great dramatic lighting Angela where you have scratched the highlights on the nest. Well done Angela.

Harry Seymour
03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Angela, this is really good and I agree with Diana.

PatrickHedges
03-24-2011, 08:38 PM
I like the way it's looking up and out of the picture. Normally that's a composition no-no but it works perfectly here because it leads us to wonder what kind of ritual it's up to, or without explanation, is it simply checking for eagles.

I love your preamble too - great way with words :lol:
So they take this stance where they are just really looking up at well nothing. Probably saying that *&(^ egg :lol:

sandrawillard
03-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Nice work Angela! I guess I'm going to be the odd ball here because I want to say that something in the background would be nice to give the heron some perspective. I don't know that a moon would be the right background object but I unfortunately don't have another suggestion for you. Is that all sky behind him? Or was the nest on land? Perhaps some grass blades?

Well, whatever you decide to do, this is a really great piece!

lorna12
03-25-2011, 03:42 AM
I really like how this one turned out Angela...well done!

birdlover
03-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks Lorna, Sandra, Patrick, Harry, Lesley, Brett, and Diana for all you nice complements. The concensus is to leave as is so that is what I'm going to do.

Bertoni
03-25-2011, 04:02 PM
:thumbsup: Excellent work Angela... A moon would take away the Heron as center of interest!

Rodman
03-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Sure I enjoy the beautiful bird....the Blue Herron use to try and get after.the koi in my garden ponds... cool birds that have made a huge come.back.here. but I love the openness and how random the nest is... this might very well be my favorite of yours. I didn't see the size listed. ?

tigress
03-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Beautiful piece but I got to say I can just see that moon

aaces
03-25-2011, 11:16 PM
I'd spray it too...no moon :thumbsup:
I don't know why but I have this slight feeling you just might sorta kinda like birds :D Keep on scratchin!!!!! :thumbsup:

birdlover
03-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks Rod. Its an 8x10. I was happy with the nest also finally got something more random. Yep Allan I love birds. You catch on fast. :) It started with 2 zebra finches of my own and then just went from there. Plus around here birds are the most plentiful wildlife around. And finally lable to do a nest successfully. For all my love of birds I was having a tough time with those nests. Thanks Bertoni and Tigress. I think Tigress we'll just have to live without the moon. I've pushed to the direction of no moon. This way it reflects the true behavior of the bird. Thanks everyone for your input.

objectivistartist
03-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Well done work - no question :thumbsup:

MuttHut
03-29-2011, 03:29 AM
Well done Angela, it looks just like the Herons who nest near by me. They do put up quite a show for thier mates.

Wendy

fire angel
03-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Grat job the soft color is wonderful!!

birdlover
03-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks Greg, Wendy, and Robert. I used the Inktense colors for some of the colors. They are a bit different from the standard inks.