PDA

View Full Version : Feel free to ask

PatrickHedges
03-24-2011, 03:27 AM
Most of the threads in this forum have now been closed since we are at the stage where the board must work for the non-money :lol: but if you have questions, please feel free to use this thread to ask them and we will endeavour to answer them as best we can.

Cheers

Patrick

hectorstudio
03-25-2011, 01:53 AM
All, I was just catching up on the other threads. I'm happy to see that the newly formed board is comprised of very talented and engaged individuals.

There was mention some time back of a newsletter. If, at some point, that conversation is taken up again, and it is decided to have an ISSA newsletter, I'd like to throw my hat in as volunteer to edit and publish it.

I have done this (most recently) for the Santa Clarita Artists' Association for the last two years. I also edited a monthly newsletter for a local social organization for 4 years.

Thank you.
Hector Fernandez

lorna12
03-25-2011, 03:24 AM
Hector...we will definitely keep you name on file. As you can guess, there is a lot to be done before we reach that, but I do thank you.

PatrickHedges
03-25-2011, 06:43 AM
I submit articles to our Wildlife Art Society and I can only hazard a guess at how large a job it is for our guy to fix things and get us into print in presentable fashion. That's a wonderful offer Hector.

03ahmed
03-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Wow! Have I missed a lot!!! Everything appears to be running smoothly, it is all really exciting. I am apologize that I can't offer assistance, I really don't know what I could do with all the demands of university on top.:o

Ltaniea
04-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Wow, I've missed reading through all these threads until today. You guys are making such headway with this. Right on.

I am so supporting this 1000%, just not sure how much I can contribute. I will say though that I have had some experience with editing and publishing, and with the ISSA Newsletter, would enjoy helping where needed as far as proofing, placement, design, and distributing is concerned. I am a spreadsheet and database whiz (according to every coworker I've had), and good with things like mail merges, membership cards, certificates, etc etc... I enjoy that type of thing, and would be happy to offer my support to any of the board members who could use an extra hand with such projects .... Wherever I can help.

PatrickHedges
04-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Excellent Natalie. I'll add your offer to the next monthly meeting we are having :thumbsup:

jbeausoleil
04-17-2011, 01:47 PM
I have read the by-laws for the ISSA and I have read the by-laws regarding Wet Canvas and the RIL. I understand that when we submit photographs to the RIL we are giving Wet Canvas members the use of our photos to make art and sell it while retaining our own copyright on our own photographs.

Here is my question and/or assumption:
I have used a couple of photos to create some scratchboards for my own learning. I have been told I should enter them in art competitions/exhibitions. I have replied that I could not because it was not my "Original" work. I told them I had permission to use the photos to create and sell only (have not tried to sell actually). And when I do casually show them I always explain where the photo came from and who the original photographer was. And when I could I would direct them to the photographers website. It seems only fair to direct business and interest to those who graciously and generously allow us to use their beautiful photos!

How does the RIL actually work as far as submitting our art to shows or competitions and therefore submitting to advancing levels in the new ISSA?

Thanks!

lorna12
04-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Jean...it's my understanding that we can use the RIL images to create our work and use it in anyway we like. There is a statement to the effect that owners of the images give permission for this by posting their photo for other artists to use that way.

When I find an image I like(outside of WC), I ask permission of the photographer and also tell them I want to be able to enter it in a competition and/or sell it, with credit to them, so they know up front what I intend to do with the pic. If they are fine with that and give permission then I'll use it as I see fit. If the competition states the work must be wholly concieved by me or created from my own photo, then I don't use one of those photos, I use my own.

jbeausoleil
04-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Lorna,
Thanks! I really want to use my own photos for the most part anyway. But there are just some great photos out there screaming to be scratched or otherwise!
Cheers!

artofnature
05-28-2011, 03:28 AM
Just posted some $ into the Paypal account Ken.

artofnature
06-27-2011, 03:16 AM
Hi all. on the 28th May, I sent some money to ISSA but today it was returned saying that preferences had not been set up to accept money this way. I just did a send money to

Please contact ISSA ([email protected]

Has the email addie changed please. Can't believe it's taken a month for them to say its not valid.

lorna12
06-27-2011, 05:21 AM
Lesley, I've emailed Ken (our treasurer) to look into this for you.

kenmacf
06-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Lesley,
Here's something I didn't know. When money is sent to PayPal that isn't in US currency, I have 30 days to accept or refund it. I am required to push a button declaring my intention. The default apparently is refund. That is why you got your money back a month later. Sorry for the inconvenience. I believe it is a way to protect you from but I am not sure how. Anyway, there it is. Again, my apologies.

artofnature
06-27-2011, 07:06 PM
So Ken. Do I send it again as I did before or do I change the currency my end to US if I can?

PatrickHedges
06-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Lesley, I would say definitely send it in US dollars so the conversion is already done before Ken gets it.

jbeausoleil
07-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Will you making an official e-mailing list from the "applications accepted" for membership? And then from that will we get notices through that email list? I am not always near a convenient or even secure internet access to keep track of the ISSA progress of which I am completely interested in applying to.

lorna12
07-10-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking Jean, but all communications will be electronic. We will need everyone to provide an email address for everything from finding out if they are accepted to receiving a newsletter. Our website will provide information on what is needed and when and how to go about it. We'll let everyone know as soon as it's ready.

jbeausoleil
07-10-2011, 05:48 PM
I think you answered my question :)
I was basically wondering if communications would be through this forum or through emailings. Thanks!

PatrickHedges
07-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Definitely through emails and not this forum. If we kept it to this forum it would be too exclusive and we want to include artists that have never even heard of WetCanvas :)

Celticelf
08-03-2011, 05:06 PM
So...when can Sheba and I join? Me as a scratcher and she as a scratcher supporter.

lorna12
08-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Terri...we are close to ready but not quite. Hopefully it will be late next month or early Oct. When we are ready, the people here on WC will be the first to know. :)

Maxime Thiffault
08-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Hopefully it will be late next month or early Oct. When we are ready, the people here on WC will be the first to know. :)

Yeahhhh!!!!!! good job guys :grouphug:

hectorstudio
08-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Are there any tentative dates for the 2012 ISSA Inaugural Exhibit?

PatrickHedges
08-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Hector, we have a gallery that is keen to have us and some other options we are also pursuing but we are also working on sponsors. More will come to light when Cathy gets back from her Africa trip, but until then, the dates aren't set yet.

hectorstudio
08-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks, Patrick! That's great news. I just hope it's not at the end of May, as I will be out of the country...

DocBoots
08-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Hey guys - I'm posting here because life is cray-cray (I moved in February, again in March and moving again (last time hopefully) next week.. I hope that's a suitable excuse for being so totally absent from WC this summer :/).

Is the society active now or still 'baking'?
If it's up and running where do I find the 'final summation', and if it's not quite running yet can we still make a donation (and if so do you have the link to that thread?)

Thanky!!

~ Pam B. ~

PatrickHedges
08-17-2011, 01:48 AM
Hiya Pam, good to hear from you. Our incorporation is literally around the corner, the website is almost fully operational, we are looking for a venue now for next year's inaugural exhibition and we'll be taking members very soon. Donations can be made via paypal to [email protected] :)

DocBoots
09-05-2011, 12:12 AM
That's great!!
I'm moved and staying put for a bit now (back in Canada :D) so I can get my art life into some sort of order again now... finally!

~ Pam B. ~

Kaz in NZ
09-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Sounds like you've all been busy little beavers, well done, it'll be great to see a worldwide collection of scratchboard artists :-) Can you tell me what the website is please, so I can have a look at the progress, thanks! and good luck with it all! :-)

artofnature
09-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Just google International Society of Scratchboard Society Kaz and you will find it. Off to do a workshop now. It's bucketting down here so won't be a nice 1 hour drive though

Kaz in NZ
09-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks Lesley, will do :-) Good luck with the workshop, it's sunny here, but still a bit chilly in the mornings, still snow on the mountains!

PaintDog
09-28-2011, 09:50 PM
This is the site (which looks great, BTW!): http://www.scratchboardsociety.com

PaintDog
11-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Any idea when the first ISSA conference/show will be? At one point, May/June was bounced around. Just wondering if anything is close to being pinned down. I'm looking at my calendar for planning stuff next year and this is one event I don't want to miss!

lorna12
11-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Not yet, Ann...still working on it. When we know for sure we'll post it and send a notice to members. :)

PaintDog
11-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks, Lorna!

MJGresko
12-10-2011, 05:10 PM
As it stands now there are only 3 levels of membership until March with the possibility of active members trying to get signature or master status at that time. My question has to do with posting work on here and if that work can then be submitted for consideration when applying for a higher level. Many people post WIP's and I was wondering when help is given (usually by but not limited to Master status people) if that will cause a conflict when judging someones work? Should work that you may want to submit for judging later not be posted at all or will it have no affect on future judging? I guess this could apply toward possibly submitting work to shows also. At this point everything on WC is so closely connected to ISSA that I'm wondering if people who may want to become members and are not members of WC may at some point feel there is an advantage for those of us who are. I may just be thinking too much but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

PatrickHedges
12-11-2011, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the question Marcia. In answer to that, I will mention the same thing that was told to some of us as MSAs. Do we feel that we can judge objectively? The answer is a resounding 'YES' and so there will never be any bias, consciously or unconsiously, towards any member. The fact is, now with digital media, we are well aware of what a lot of people are doing. Some of us interact on here, Deviant Art, other forums and also on Facebook. People will still put their art 'out there' and should be encouraged to do so without fear of bias or the opposite.

When people apply for higher levels, they are responsible for choosing work that they think best represents them and that work, and only that work, will be judged. Of course, with applying for MSA other things come into consideration as stipulated on the website, but people will only be judged on what they write in their submission. No existing judge will prejudge someone based on what we might think we know about that applicant. We will be relying totally on the images and biography submitted.

I hope that goes some way to answering the question and if not, please say so :)

MJGresko
12-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks Patrick for answering my question. It's not so much that I worry about you guys being able to be objective but more that hopefully as things go on members will encompass a broader base than WC members and perhaps those people may have questions about objectivity. I guess I'm getting way ahead of the game here but it may. at some point, be an issue for someone. And I would have to believe that down the road when more and more members are given master status it will more than likely be members and non-members of WC.

PatrickHedges
12-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Yes, we ourselves have had that discussion and are hoping that after March, there will be more non-WC MSAs (other than Sally who only occasionally pops in here).

Crias
12-12-2011, 09:38 PM
To add to what Patrick said right now if you look at the list of active members less than 1/3 of that list is wetcanvas members, so yes we certainly hope that ISSA will be much bigger than wetcanvas or its scratchboard members (including MSA and SSA). I actually imagine as time progresses that you may see the pull away from WC and less ISSA info being given here. For example we will soon have our own group where people can post images and discussions and after 2012 most likely the show and workshop will be limited to ISSA members and not open to everyone like it will be this year. So while we might mention these events on here in the future casually, they will not be pushed like they are this year.

nettasaura
02-17-2012, 12:39 AM
What is the ppi required for jury submissions...72, 150, 300?

lorna12
02-17-2012, 05:58 AM
Netta...its 300dpi

If it's to join as Active check here for image size
http://www.scratchboardsociety.com/active1.html

If it's for the exhibition check here
http://www.scratchboardsociety.com/exhibition2012.html

nettasaura
02-17-2012, 10:46 AM
It would be for active...uh....later this year as I only have one piece to show right now lol.

And exhibitions.....eeeeekkk! Never done one in my life...oh the terror! You'll have to pry me out of my hermit hut first.

PatrickHedges
02-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Don't worry Netta, we'll drag you out of your cave, kicking and screaming :lol:

nettasaura
02-22-2012, 01:36 AM
I put up a pretty good fight Patrick...someone might get injured. LOL

Maxime Thiffault
10-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Is anybody know what could be the deadline for entry the 2013 ISSA show? Any idea?

lorna12
10-26-2012, 02:54 PM
It hasn't been decided yet, Maxime...there are still some things being worked on. Members will get an email when the info is available. The deadline won't be for several months though, so you have lots of time.

Maxime Thiffault
10-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks Lorna!!
I will make a request for the Local Center of Developpement here for a financial help. They have a programme to help local artist for participation exhibition out of Quebec province.
The sooner I get the info the sooner I will know if they can help.:wink2:

Crias
11-12-2012, 02:36 PM
The jury deadline will be April 1. The prospectus will be out in the next week or so. However Maxime - we show you as only being an Associate Member. The juried show will only be open to Active, Signature and Master members. So I hope you will consider putting in your application for Active at the first of the year (hint, hint). You will, of course, be welcome to attend the workshops as an Associate, but we would love to see your work too.

Maxime Thiffault
11-12-2012, 03:40 PM
That's my goal of being an active member at the new year. Thank you Cathy!

Are you sure it's not an april 1st trick?? ;);)