PDA

View Full Version : Goat question

artbygail
03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi everyone,

I took this photo the other day at a nearby farm. In order to get the head of the goat from ear to ear, this is the largest I could transfer the photo to the 5 x 7 board, therefore, leaving so much of the fence around the goat's head. It has not been sprayed as yet. Now my question is... should I leave the boards as light as they are or should I darken them slightly? (Scary for me to do this) Do the boards take away from the goat, or does the goat stand out anyway?
Should I leave it alone?
Thanks muchly, I know I will get a good response. Gail

http://members.shaw.ca/TheSilhouetteLady/FAMILYARTEXHIBIT.html

Rodman
03-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Gail.... I had a look.. I think the boards above Mr. Goat are fine.... I would darken from the bottom up.... darker at the bottom up to nothing or almost nothing at some point around his head... fear not... nothing to it. Thin washes and build them up.. cool project!

Buggin3
03-23-2011, 07:10 PM
I don't think that the fence boards take away from the goat at all. Actually, I love how this piece is composed. :thumbsup:

I think following Rod's advice will definitely bring the goat forward.

SueR
03-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Looking really good...take Rod's advice, it's sound :)

PatrickHedges
03-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Yup, Rod's got it. But this is excellent anyway - it's really cute!! Fancy going from your massive murals to 5x7 :lol:

Harry Seymour
03-23-2011, 09:41 PM
I really can't answer your question but like very much what you've done.

tigress
03-23-2011, 09:42 PM
What a cute piece but I would just leave it be, but then I am always afraid to make changes so don't listen to me. Take Rodman's advise.

FoggyMountain
03-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Very nice; love the board work too. Rodman's advise will really make him pop out.

Obedec
03-23-2011, 10:25 PM
So cute! Beautiful work.

artbygail
03-24-2011, 01:47 AM
Hi again,

Here is the new version darkened side by side with the lighter one. It seemed that it was a unanimous decision in response to Rod suggesting that it be darkened from the bottom to half way up the head. I darkened the bottom, up both sides and scratched back in a few highlights on the right. I also darkened the shaded side of the horns and a few more places in the fur very lightly, then decided the fur sticking out the bottom of the fence needed some shading.
You were right Rod, I diluted the ink very little and it was easy going.

Thank you everyone for your help, it is much appreciated.

Is this enough now, does it do the trick?
Thanks guys.
Gail
http://members.shaw.ca/TheSilhouetteLady/FAMILYARTEXHIBIT.html

caribouhills
03-24-2011, 02:07 AM
Very well done Gail, cute goat.