PDA

View Full Version : Master Scratchers

Rodman
03-23-2011, 09:55 AM
How do we want to handle getting our Master Scratchers in place?... would it be Pass/Fail? Who all submits?... guidelines for submitting?.. it sounds like its time to start addressing this... ideas EVERYONE

theBoardLady
03-23-2011, 10:24 AM
For those that have been published...it's an instant "IN" for the Masters category.

Example: Diana Lee, Lorna, Patrick, Cathy, Sally, Rod....sorry if I left anybody out that has been published.

I feel these individuals should vote who else would be joining their ranks.

emilycolors
03-23-2011, 10:30 AM
The pertinent parts of by-law concerning Masters:

MASTER MEMBERS: These are members who have excelled and work at the highest levels of Scratchboard Art.

Members must have distinguished themselves and the quality of their work through any or all of the following:

- national and/or International exhibition history/awards, (or other equally recognized shows or competitions),
- gallery representation
- have been published, etc.

To be considered for this level, artists must submit a portfolio of 10 works as well as a biography listing achievements to be juried by a panel of 3 existing MSA Members.

Problem so far is that we don't yet have existing MSA members and it seems that we need at least three to be able to accept memberships (with the exclusion of Associate members which are not juried in).

The criterion for Masters will naturally rule some people out. Outside of that I think it's up to the individual to decide if they will try to become a Master. I think as many as are able to apply should be allowed to - no limits on the number of people who can apply.

Someone had suggested having an outside judge to determine who will be accepted into the Masters level. I like that idea. How many people should be selected by the outside judge? Only three, so that those chosen three determine the rest of the Masters? Or should our outside judge select the entire level of Masters at this point?

Diana Lee
03-23-2011, 10:50 AM
If we have to wait very long while we try to find a judge I would rather figure something out using who we have at hand. Does anyone have a judge in mind that could get on this now? And how do we decide who would be a good judge?

But should there be a limit on how many are accepted?

I feel funny about there being a limit on how many Masters there can be. I feel we need all the masters we can get to establish scratchboard as a fine art medium. And would the rest have to wait, like vultures, for a Master to die so they could move up? :lol:

Diana

emilycolors
03-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Diana, I thought my question would be unclear so I edited my post. You must have read it before I got that far. I was thinking of whether there should be a limit with how many are accepted by an outside judge... just an initial number to be judged in and then we carry it out from there?

Certainly there shouldn't be a limit on how many Masters there can be. I think it's everyone's goal to make it there eventually. I don't know, still might take me a lifetime to get there! :D

Diana Lee
03-23-2011, 11:39 AM
I was having fun with imagining scratchers plotting how to bump off the old Masters to take their place.....Bwa Haaa hahaha! (evil laugh).

Your revisal makes sense. If we could get 3/5 to start with that would be good.

Diana

Rodman
03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
My thoughts... if we approach someone.( however many ) we need to be able to tell them what tthey are agreeing to...how many artist they will be screening . They might want to know if they are just saying pass /fail?.. or writing out why each person passed/ failed. The time frame that we are looking at to get this done.

I.just don't think its fair for these people to be surprised by anything. Or put them in a position where it takes WAYYYY too much of their time. Im just raising the subject so we can make it as seamless as possible.

Diana Lee
03-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Why can't the board decide the first 3/5 Masters? I, personally, can think of 3/5 artists right now that would qualify and I really, really doubt that anyone involved on WC would scream bias or even disagree with my choices. Surly between us 7 we can come up with a list.

If it makes everyone feel better we could even call them temporary and after those original have selected more masters they could step down and apply themselves for that level.

Diana

Celticelf
03-23-2011, 01:03 PM
I totally trust the Board's judgement and don't see any need for them to be interim unless they just feel uncomfortable about it. Up front, though. The board has Master artists who might not be willing to be chosen by the board. Deal with it, deal with it :)

Buggin3
03-23-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't think that having the board decide the first few masters would be a problem. Many of the people that I would consider to be masters are already on the board anyway. I also think that there would be no need to make those appointments only temporary.

RSchafe
03-23-2011, 03:30 PM
At the July workshop meeting that kicked ISSA planning off, Charlie Ewing was mentioned as one "outside" judge who might kick things off. Their role would be to help select the first couple of Masters who would then take over jurying. That said, I don't know we need to be that formal as we have several people that already have "outside" credentials - show awards, publications, etc. that is recognition of their level of artistry.

Rich

aaces
03-23-2011, 05:49 PM
I agree with Rich and his suggestion of Charlie.
We do have true Masters here, who I know no One would argue with as being chosen :thumbsup:
I also have no problem at all with having the board choose the "Masters" as well. In my eyes there is No need for the temporary status as suggested before. I trust the judgment of the board. There has been a lot done getting this started, by a lot of people, and I KNOW that the board would not do anything to discredit this endeavor.

I'm pretty agreeable :D

Garbonzo
03-23-2011, 07:39 PM
I think Allan made a very good point in saying that a lot people have put a great deal of work in to get this organization up and running to this point and would never undermine these efforts now. I trust our board members to know what top shelf scratchboard work is and who is producing it. I think it would help expedite matters if we allowed them to do the selecting of the masters. They will be doing it as part of their duties anyway. Just an opinion.

lorna12
03-23-2011, 07:59 PM
I know that Cathy wanted to be juried by someone outside to keep everything on the up and up and so people couldn't point a finger and say she got in because she's involved with setting everything up.I'm sure she will weigh in her when she can. I agree with her to a point, but I would want to be juried by people who KNOW scratchboard art. I haven't met Charlie, but I admire and respect his work...I would have no problem being juried by him.

To start with we only need 3 MSA's, no matter how we go about getting them. Once they are in place, they can jury the rest of the applicants for Active or Signature or Master when the time comes.

Rod...If we go the route of outside juror for the first 3, perhaps we can put a limit on the number of applicants accepted...for example a limit of 10 on a first come, first serve basis. That would keep it at (I think)a manageable level for the juror. Just throwing that out there.

Just came back to add...although this is important, I think we are putting the cart before the horse...we need to become a legitimate society before anything else.

I have to say, I really appreciate the vote of confidence from all of you towards our new Board. Thank you!

PatrickHedges
03-23-2011, 08:35 PM
I'd like to throw Sally Maxwell's name into the mix as a juror for the first three (who as said, can take it on from there). I haven't asked Sally if she's prepared to do it but I could if people agree. I think people will agree with her pedigree, and then, if she wishes, the three that get judged in by her and Charlie could judge her and Charlie in (or not, if they're not worthy :lol: :lol: )

Does that ramble make sense?

annamelia
03-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Apart from all of the above and just a thought - could a Certificate be issued to those who have become an Assoc. member, Active Member, Signature Member, Master Member etc. etc. This would certainly be an asset to have for one's portfolio!!!!

lorna12
03-24-2011, 02:50 AM
I love your enthusiasm Judy. I'm sure we will have something along those lines, maybe not certificates for everything but perhaps membership cards??

PatrickHedges
03-24-2011, 03:22 AM
I've closed the topics in this forum that have been dealt with. The interim board will be having meetings and ironing out incorporation / membership issues and we'll use this forum to provide feedback on an ongoing basis until it's all completed (which will be a few weeks to months away).

Thanks for all your input :)