PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy Corner 21st-27th March

PatrickHedges
03-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Hi guys. Just a note to newcomers, anyone can start our weekly 'Scratchy Corner'. It's a chance to talk about things other than scratchboards (so it should actually be called "Non-Scratchy corner" :lol: )

Thanks for all the well-wishes and suggestions regarding my loss of job in last weeks SC. I'm thinking hard about the future.

Really gratifying to see the International Society of Scratchboard Artists taking shape. If any newcomers want to know what that's about, go to the top of the scratchboard forum, or click here (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=523). We'll be wanting members when we get it launched and hopefully it'll provide a springboard to getting scratchboard recognised as the genuine fine art medium it is, as well as us being able to provide shows and workshops for members to participate in. Check the forum out :)

objectivistartist
03-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Scratchless Corner... :rolleyes:

annamelia
03-22-2011, 06:47 AM
I don't think I mentioned here on WC that last month I did my first ever scratchboard workshop. This was a result of my winning "Champion of the Show" with my Animal Magnetism" piece last November.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690541

The town where the workshop was held was in one that was badly hit by the Queensland floods, and after not hearing from the lady who initially organised it I thought it had been cancelled, but no, it went ahead as scheduled. The roads to this town were in a real mess with parts of the roads collapsed and workmen everywhere. I was extremely nervous with never having held a workshop before and once I was over the initial nerves everything seemed to go well. In fact, the workshop organiser told me she had never had a workshop before where everyone was so quiet!!! :lol: Here is everyone deep in concentration.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2011/66135-Workshop2.jpg

Rodman
03-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Judy..fantastic!! How did everyone do? Pix of their work?

annamelia
03-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Judy..fantastic!! How did everyone do? Pix of their work?

Hi Rod

Apparently everyone really enjoyed doing scratch work and unfortunately I didn't think to take photographs of everyone with their work. One lady was unable to stay for the whole time due to having insurance people going to check out her house, I also heard that there were plenty of snakes :eek: found in their houses and sheds once the water had receded.

pandorea
03-22-2011, 08:17 AM
well done, Judy! glad to hear the message is getting out there. Which scratchboard did you use for the class?

emilycolors
03-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Judy, how neat that you got to teach a scratchboard workshop! Everyone does look pretty concentrated in that picture!

News on my end, my family is going to be moving soon! We're on a waiting list for an apartment in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It'll be about 3-4 months, about the time the kids are out of school for the summer. We're looking forward to it... although it does put me within a two hour radius *closer* to Rodman! I think I'll be able to hear our Vice's wheels turning from there!

Rodman
03-22-2011, 11:19 AM
E... My family moved a bunch of times.while i was growing up.... but, i was always able to locate them.......coffee and a.scratch session?...

Judy... snakes...snakes!!! I've noticed in my chance encounters with snakes... there seems to be a.direct connection between the size of the snake and.the probability of me.....ugh.... needing a change.of boxers

emilycolors
03-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Ha! :D

Coffee and a scratch session sounds good!

kenmacf
03-22-2011, 02:09 PM
People have watched me scratching in the little town I live in and have asked for a workshop. Called Ampersand and they were helpful so I will give it a go. The only problem is, I don't think I know enough myself to teach anyone else.

emilycolors
03-22-2011, 02:41 PM
You'll do a great job Ken!

Celticelf
03-22-2011, 04:17 PM
I have a workshop coming up mid-April and am making changes in the Powerpoint I used for the last one. I don't really plan to be doing much actual demonstrating, more showing examples and going around to them, so I am not too nervous. Except for the fact that it is a different audience since it is in a county community center rather than the library.

Anyway - had my first spray problem yesterday, so would appreciate advice. It was my 16x20 In the shadows pic of my mother. Used the Ampersand spray and it left very fine white spots on it. Some we were able to rub off with a soft cloth. I think respraying will take care of it, but don't know if I should change sprays, get a new can of the same spray, or what. I had wanted to put this up in the office of the center where I am doing the workshop. Help!

Diana Lee
03-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Judy, looks like everyone is having a grand time. I will be teaching some workshops this summer, but I want to keep it down to 5 or 6 people since I will be doing it in my house.
Ken you will do great, and it really is a lot of fun!
Good luck on the move Emily.
Terri, I would use a different can and spray on a scrap board first.
I have been approached to be representd by a new gallery in a small neighboring town. It is considered a money area, lots of wineries. It is in what used to be the carriage house to a very large old brick hotel that is right next to it. The inside is broken up into small rooms, about 8'x8' and I would get a room. I will be talking to them this weekend and hopefully finalizing the deal.

Diana

Rodman
03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Diana.... go gett'm girl!

Ken.... its cake.

Terri.... yikes.

Crias
03-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Terri - just to check were you spraying in temps above 70 degrees and low humidity? Those can cause problems. I would suggest testing on a trash board before respraying. I had bought 4 cans of ampersand but every one was leaving those white specks. Ampersand spray is at least SEVERAL years old (as they stopped producing it two or three years ago) and may just be deteriorating. I finally threw mine away as I just didn't want to risk it. I think krylon should get rid of the specks too, but as always test on a trash board first.

lorna12
03-23-2011, 01:40 AM
Diana...smart people at that gallery!:thumbsup:

Ken...you know enough and if not - bluff.:D It's fun.

Judy... "In fact, the workshop organiser told me she had never had a workshop before where everyone was so quiet!!! Here is everyone deep in concentration."
I usually hear that at my workshops, too. They dive right in and get so quiet. I've got one coming up next month.

Terri...hope the spray works out okay.

NancyPH
03-24-2011, 04:17 AM
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, but have been on WC for quite awhile now. I'm actually a pencil artist - mostly colored pencil, but also use graphite and pastels, and am looking forward to teaching myself oils ...... as soon as we get our move to Texas over with and I get setup in my new studio.

Since I'm a self-taught artist, I am taking a "Portfolio & Resume" class at the local college. My instructor gave me a few pieces of scratch-art paper and wanted me to try to do something with them. I have never done scratch art before, but when I got home and checked out my supplies, sure enough I had bought a scratchbord (I have an addiction to buying new and interesting supports to play with ... *sigh*). Anyway, I messed around with it freehand and scratched some cat and dog eyes, noses, and ears and really loved it! I love using pencils because of the detail I can get, and now I love scratchbord for the same reason. I don't have a finished piece yet though, but hopefully will soon. I have to wait for my other art to calm down first before launching out in a new medium. :P

BTW, Rodman, love the demo video on your website. You must have a different hat for each day of the week. :D

Love the work I see here, but not sure I'll ever be able to do quite as well. Enjoying reading the threads though and am trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can before launching out on my own.

Rodman
03-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Nancy...welcome to the scratchboard playground. You will find the most talented/helpful/ friendly and in Patricks case ....homely,SB artist in the world here.

Im flattered that you checked out my lil video... ( tossing on a hat was quicker than combing my hair ) there are a bunch of videos on you tube from a bunch of the artist here.... go do art.

Diana Lee
03-24-2011, 01:14 PM
I want to let everyone know that Rod is back in the hospital. They found another blockage and he is going into surgery this morning. We'll keep positive thoughts for him.

Diana

Rodman
03-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Im going to a lot of trouble...just so I can show the nurses my junk again.

Ill be fine.. im just trying to push my art prices up... its all just part of a master plan. I wasn't feeling good..went to the plant medical ..they sent me here.( hospital )..dr. thinks blockage...they are going in mu groin again...I guess. Thanks for any positive vibes..see ya soon. I love my SB peeps

Garbonzo
03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Rod text me as I was writing a follow up comment on the semantics discussion so if it doesn't make sense I'll blame that. Rod, don't do anything we'll regret.

RSchafe
03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Take care of yourself Rod. Hope the procedure goes well. Don't surprise those nurses, they might surprise you.

Rich

lorna12
03-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Love you Rod...please take care my friend.

FoggyMountain
03-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Good wishes for you Rod. Hurry back.

Buggin3
03-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Speedy recovery, Man. Make sure you listen to your nurses. :)

Rodman
03-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Brett....post your bad as$ truck piece....

PatrickHedges
03-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Hey mate, all the best. Your groin is getting too much use for the wrong stuff recently

Big time thoughts and prayers going your way man!!

Diana Lee
03-24-2011, 09:52 PM
I just heard from Rod and he has been waiting for his turn in surgery. He said it is now his turn.:heart: :crossfingers: :heart: It's bad enough to have to have surgery, but to have to wait all day in line. sheesh!!!!!

Diana

ARTMUTT
03-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Geez Rod.....don't you think you should give those nurses a break!! Seriously tho, take care and I'll be thinking about ya!!!

Obedec
03-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Take care Rod...thinking of you!

Crias
03-25-2011, 01:11 AM
Also sending good vibes your way...

Got home from my 10 day trip today. So much to catch up on around here, but wasn't very productive tonight (got sucked into a good book on the plane that I can't put down). Only home 9 days (6 of which will be 10 hour days grooming) and then off to southern Cali for another 10 day trip!

lorna12
03-25-2011, 02:09 AM
Hope by now you're through the worst of it Rod...sending (((((hugs))))) your way.

Welcome back Cathy!

PatrickHedges
03-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Nice to have you back Cathy. Get us in order again - the rabble have been creating havoc :lol:

sandrawillard
03-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Just wanted to update everyone on Rod. He's back home and doing better. I imagine he'll be posting more silliness soon. :clap: :clap: :clap:

sandrawillard
03-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Great to have you back Cathy. A book is nothing compared to all the reading you'll be doing here! ;)

emilycolors
03-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Sandra, did you just call him too?! Poor guy will never get through his breakfast at this rate!

03ahmed
03-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Great to know that Rod is fine!!

This week has been great for me, I got accepted to study medicine to become a doctor (my dream career) so I won't be doing pharmacy anymore.

In addition to this my piece 'Elegance', the peacock got shortlisted for the David Shepherd Wildlife Artist of the Year Competition 2011!!:)

I feel as if I am getting some sort of recognition now.:) I couldn't have done it without all the help and advice from the people here on wetcanvas, so I thank you all!:)

lorna12
03-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Irfan...what awesome news!! Congratulations! What sort of doctor do you want to be? About your peacock...that doesn't surprise me in the least...it's a very worthy piece.:clap::clap::clap:

Rod very glad to hear you're home again...just rest and take it easy now. The only excercise you need to do right now is with your thumbs, texting.:D

FoggyMountain
03-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Yayyy Irfan! That is fantastic news (both the doctor and the peacock piece)! Congratulations. I'm very happy for you.

Rodman
03-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Irfan....good on Ya Doc!

Diane Cutter
03-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Great news abounds here... Good luck, Diana... Nice going, Judy... Welcome back, Cathy... Congratulations, Irfan... and hope you are feeling feisty once again, Rodman.

I had a thrilling experience last week. The Spencer Museum (on the University of Kansas-Lawrence campus) has their Print Room open (without appointment) on Fridays so was able to see the collection some of my prints are in as well as some Grant Wood and Herschel Logan woodcuts.

Herschel Logan (http://legendfinearts.com/logan.htm) has long been my hero, a prolific woodcut artist of the Prairie Print Makers group. Although woodcuts, his work would translate very well into scratchboard. I love how he does his skies... 'Dust Storm' (http://www.kshs.org/p/cool-things-dust-storm-print/10222)is an excellent example.

Diane

Harry Seymour
03-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Irfan--congratulations on both counts.

annamelia
03-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Congratulations Irfan, that's fabulous news. :clap: :clap:

Great news that you are home Rod.

aaces
03-25-2011, 07:32 PM
CONGRATS 03!!!!!! So we'll start having to call ya Doc? :) Congrats on the "shortlisting" as well Buddy! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Damn Rod!!!!!!! Rest up Buddy! Rest up!!!! I lost my phone...when you feel up to it text me so I have your number. (309) 370-0900. Man...there must be some Hot Nurses working at that Hospital for you to be finding so many ways to get back in there!

artofnature
03-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Glad to hear you are OK Rodman. Was worried when I read the news on here. I hate ANGIOGRAMS. i presume that is what you had.

Irfan, you can now be "doc" to Rodman. Congratulations on your university entry Doc. And by the way, I spotted that peacock ages ago and told you it was amazing. And it is. Really hope you win. Keep us updated.

Well done to all of those people whi have further ed the scratchboard cause by holding workshops. Word is spreading. I have been asked to do one after my next art show too. Better get my skates on and start preparing. Will be keeping mine to a small number of people. I am going to select applicants who have some drawing ability based on their previous works. I think they will be able to pick the medium up much quicker with a one day work shop and run with it after I am gone without too much trouble.

I feel that one day workshops for people who have never drawn a picture in their lives may be a bit of a challenge for them. For these types of beginners, I feel a course would be more instructional for them. But that's just my opinion and will probably create some controversy. But we are all different people with differing opinions.

ARTMUTT
03-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Congratulations Irfan!! Wonderful news on both accounts!!

Rod glad you are doing OK....stop scaring us!!!

Crias
03-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Congrats Irfan! I am very proud and happy for you on both counts!

RSchafe
03-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Congratulations Irfan on med school and the peacock board. Hope all continues to go well for you.

Diane, sounds like an exciting opportunity to see the prints. In September, my wife and I were in Roswell, New Mexico and there was an exhibit of Peter Hurd's B&W lithographs. Several were very dramatic and I thought would translate well into scratchboard. One example:http://americanart.si.edu/collections/search/artwork/?id=11036

In February, I was returning local high school art that I had on display at the art show I'm director of and saw a stack of unopened Ampersand scratchboards. I talked to the art teachers and told them about our forum and the workshop videos I have posted on YouTube. They invited me to come to a class and show examples of scratchboard so the students would see the range of subjects and techniques that can be used. I shared my boards, a few works from others I own, the books by Cathy, Lorna and Diane, and as they were in the school library, took them to WetCanvas and showed works by many here. The students were very interested and asked many questions. I'm hoping to see the results later this year. This is an area I hope ISSA will eventually get to support - art education.

Rich

lorna12
03-26-2011, 01:18 AM
:clap: Yeah Diane!! And Rich, too for educating those young minds! Both those pieces would make good scratchboards. And education is one of ISSA's mandates.

Obedec
03-26-2011, 02:05 AM
Congrats Irfan, get some rest now...interns don't get any.
Phew, sigh of relief, Rod.
Congrats to all.
Karen

Diana Lee
03-26-2011, 02:05 AM
My goodness there is a lot goin' on around here. Congrats all around!!! Talked to Rod today, he is home. There is no keeping him down.

BTW, Irfan, did I tell you I have been having this pain in my back? What do you think it is?

Diana

PatrickHedges
03-26-2011, 03:06 AM
Irfan, you can now be "doc" to Rodman.
Seriosuly Irfan, you don't want to be going anywhere near Rodman's groin :lol:

Congratulations mate on the medicine. I know that's your dream and I'm delighted for you.

Also, even bigger congratulations on the David Shepherd inclusion. Your piece is spectacular and deserves the accolade but it's still very tough to get into so well done :clap: :clap:

NancyPH
03-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Congrats Irfan on both counts!!! Great news!

Congrats to all the others doing incredible thing. Keep up the great work!

Rodman, glad to hear you're all right.

If I weren't a newbie in this forum, I'd say that Diana's pain in her back might likely be Rodman, but since I am new here, and Rodman just got done with a procedure in the hospital, I'll be nice and not say it. :p

PatrickHedges
03-26-2011, 03:28 AM
If I weren't a newbie in this forum, I'd say that Diana's pain in her back might likely be Rodman, but since I am new here, and Rodman just got done with a procedure in the hospital, I'll be nice and not say it. :p
Brilliant effort :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

aaces
03-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Brilliant effort :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
I agree!!!!
NancyPH....You'll fit in just fine here :D

Rodman
03-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Nancy....I think Diana would tell you....the location of where im a pain to Diana... is a lil south of the back area.

Diane Cutter
03-26-2011, 11:45 AM
...In September, my wife and I were in Roswell, New Mexico and there was an exhibit of Peter Hurd's B&W lithographs. Several were very dramatic and I thought would translate well into scratchboard. One example:http://americanart.si.edu/collections/search/artwork/?id=11036...
Thanks for the link, Rich... Yes, I can see a challenge in doing something like Hurd's work in scratchboard. And I hope that some of those students become denizens of WC. I can imagine they were inspired by your enthusiasm and examples.

Diane

03ahmed
03-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Wow!! Thanks Lorna, Lynn, Rod (good to know that you are well!:)), Diane, Harry, Judy, Allan, Lesley, Bethann, Cathy, Rich, Karen, Diana, Patrick and Nancy!!:) I hope I did not miss anyone out!:o

Lorna, I am not sure what sort of doctor I want to be yet physician, surgeon, GP all are great but I am just going to keep my options open and decide once I gain experience in each field.:)

Diana haha I was going to blame Patrick for it!:evil:

I really feel as if my art is 'worth' something and I am just grateful to God for all the things he has done for me. I also want to thank those that told me to pick myself up when I got rejected from this competition last year, I probably would not have re-entered this year if it wasn't for you guys!!:)

Lets hope the piece sells, that would be the cherry on top!!:lol:

I am also hoping to apply for SAA next year in 2012 so I hope I can do some good new art that is worthy.:lol:

Thanks again guys!!:)

NancyPH
03-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Nancy....I think Diana would tell you....the location of where im a pain to Diana... is a lil south of the back area.

Weeeeeell, I was being nice since I'm new and all. Thought I'd give ya a break what with having just gone through a procedure. Since you're back now though, I guess all bets are off now. :p

Seriously guys, I've been reading here for some time now and already feel like I know all of you. And I am glad you're back and doing well Rodman, even if I did pick on you. You're a great sport! :D

I'd better watch it now cause I know my times a coming .......... :cat:

Rodman
03-26-2011, 06:20 PM
here's what i've been up to....i've felt so good i straightened up the studio/living room. plenty of breaks and just picking away http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2011/19717-studio.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2011/19717-living.jpg at the mess i produce at a alarming rate. I really do feel better....great.

NancyPH
03-26-2011, 07:54 PM
TWO flat files?!?!?!?!?! Man am I jealous. I have wanted one of those for sometime now. And look at all that beautiful art (love that red guitar)!! Very nice Rodman! Lots of room and much neater than mine. :rolleyes: Looks nice and comfy.

PatrickHedges
03-26-2011, 08:12 PM
That living room is incredible!! Trade houses?

Diane Cutter
03-26-2011, 08:19 PM
What a great studio. I lust after your flats, Rodman... to have even one would be the ultimate in organization!

Diane

artofnature
03-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Ow wow. To have a room like that with all that equipment would be so wonderful. But you have earned that right my friend. And those paintings on the wall. Drool! Drool! Slobber! Slobber! You should see my workroom. Maybe we should all post a pic of our "studio" just for interests sake.

annamelia
03-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Great news that you are feeling much better Rod....and as for your studio!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's fabulous, very neat and tidy - my studio - is the kitchen table. :lol:

MuttHut
03-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Wow what a studio Rod, love the pics on the wall, especially the Mech Rooster, you are very organized. Would also kill for those flat files. Also glad you re on the mend, take it easy....

Good news Irfan, and well wishes in you medical field.

Wendy

RSchafe
03-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Good to hear you are back home Rod. And very glad to see the "scratchboard temple" reappear. When I walked in to your old living room, it took my breath away to see all the scratchboard on display. You have a very unique place with that on the walls.

Rich

sandrawillard
03-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Congratulations Irfan! I understand that is a very prestigious show and I'm more surprised that you weren't able to get in last year than I am that you made it in now. :D It's well deserved!

Rodman, I'd lose myself for hours staring at all of that work! That's a crazy amount of framed treasures to behold.

lorna12
03-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Rod...so glad you're feeling so much better! Love your new space! I was showing Terry and told him I have flat file envy!

Sandra...most of the work is his, but some are other peoples from here and ALL of it is awesome!

jeniart
03-27-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm with Lorna - your place looks great and soooo bright and cheerful. Now you're surrounded by your wonderful artwork again - should feel more like home.
Also and most importantly I'm so glad to see you are recovered from your scarey time - now just get back to full health or else you'll have me to answer to !!!

Rodman
03-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Thanks everyone .. that picture was taken BECAUSE it was cleaned up... that, normally would not be the case.

Jenny... I don't want that kinda whoop'ass trouble!.... I will soooooo behave.

NancyPH
03-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks everyone .. that picture was taken BECAUSE it was cleaned up... that, normally would not be the case.

Jenny... I don't want that kinda whoop'ass trouble!.... I will soooooo behave.

Weeeeell, you'll try at least ............. maybe ........ :p

I can't wait until we move and I get my own studio space! Right now I share with hubby and his office space. It's a central room, so the whole family and the multitude of pets go traipsing through whenever. And they talk a lot too. It's hard to not be interrupted. I told my husband when I get my studio built, I want to be away from everyone else - out of sight out of mind kinda thing. :D

kenmacf
03-27-2011, 06:27 PM
I guess if I ever get my place clean, I will take pictures too. I got very lucky once and saw that a blueprint company was going out of business and selling all the furniture. Got 2 4 drawer steel flat files for $25 each. Couldn't believe my luck. I love the work on your walls.

ARTMUTT
03-28-2011, 03:15 PM
I too have "flatfile" envy....*LOL* Hmmm I wonder if I can convice my better half that a flat file makes a great coffee table....*LOL*

NancyPH
03-28-2011, 04:33 PM
I too have "flatfile" envy....*LOL* Hmmm I wonder if I can convice my better half that a flat file makes a great coffee table....*LOL*
Oooooooo ........ that's a good idea! It would make a great coffee table! :clap:

GoldenArt
03-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Good to see you back Rodman.
Great to see all the classes in SB.