PDA

View Full Version : Johannes-Student Discussion Week 8

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Let's resume here.

Lin Frye
03-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Johannes, do you want us to post our paintings for critique here or in the 'reference homework thread?"

carol_lee
03-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Can someone direct me to the new homework assignment!!
Thanks

robert landon
03-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks Johannes for your insightful teaching. I have enjoyed all your classes and have found useful "nuggets" in each lesson. As a watercolorist , I have found the last couple of classes discussing edges , especially lost and found , very enlightening. Looking forward to your upcoming classes ! Rob

PS A big thanks to Robert Sloan and his great class notes !

NeldaJansen
03-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Carol Lee:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understood it, the homework is as follows:
1.) If you are a watercolorist, the assignment aim is to be able to control diffused and soft edges. Wet your paper, wait till the shine diminishes, and paint any number or letter, or combination of letters and numbers. The goal is to have soft edges but still be able to clearly see the forms. Your want soft, but not diffused. The letters and numbers should not bleed out or fill in.

2.) If you are an oil painter, imitate the tree and sky that Johannes demonstrated in the video. Mix several puddles of the greens (yellow ochre to start, white, blue, burnt sienna, cad yellow) of variations of those colors. Load your brush by picking up color from several puddles (shove through the various puddles) and paint a nice abstract shape of a tree. Dry brush for some edges. Soften other edges for a "lost and found" look. Then mix a sky blue and paint around the tree, leaving a tiny canal of unpainted space between. Then with a clean, DRY, brush, blend the two edges. You can push in (like a squeegee) to carve out bits from the tree, using a loaded sky brush. And you can overpaint the tree with tree color in spots to sharpen other edges.

Hope that helps, and hope it is accurate. Sorry, I didn't pay attention if there was an acrylics assignment that was specific to acrylics.

Best,
Nel

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Carol Lee:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understood it, the homework is as follows:
1.) If you are a watercolorist, the assignment aim is to be able to control diffused and soft edges. Wet your paper, wait till the shine diminishes, and paint any number or letter, or combination of letters and numbers. The goal is to have soft edges but still be able to clearly see the forms. Your want soft, but not diffused. The letters and numbers should not bleed out or fill in.

2.) If you are an oil painter, imitate the tree and sky that Johannes demonstrated in the video. Mix several puddles of the greens (yellow ochre to start, white, blue, burnt sienna, cad yellow) of variations of those colors. Load your brush by picking up color from several puddles (shove through the various puddles) and paint a nice abstract shape of a tree. Dry brush for some edges. Soften other edges for a "lost and found" look. Then mix a sky blue and paint around the tree, leaving a tiny canal of unpainted space between. Then with a clean, DRY, brush, blend the two edges. You can push in (like a squeegee) to carve out bits from the tree, using a loaded sky brush. And you can overpaint the tree with tree color in spots to sharpen other edges.

Hope that helps, and hope it is accurate. Sorry, I didn't pay attention if there was an acrylics assignment that was specific to acrylics.

Best,
Nel

number 3 would be if you are an acrylics artist show me some soft edges.

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Can someone direct me to the new homework assignment!!
Thanks
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925984

Dana Design
03-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Johannes, do you want us to post our paintings for critique here or in the 'reference homework thread?"

Post here for critique:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864472&page=33

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Post here for critique:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864472&page=33
Please post your general paintings in the Johannes Student Critique thread unless it is the homework one which will go to the Referemce Photos for Homework.

robertsloan2
03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Thank you! I posted that up in my notes thread too, many thanks for sending me that.

Sorry my Ustream borked on me this time folks. I took as many notes as I could but I'm very grateful to Terry Krysak and B4painter for taking notes too and posting them! Johannes, I asked the moderator to leave B4painter's notes in my Class Notes thread, they're really good and caught some things I missed.

rugman
03-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Johannes- thanks for addressing the chalkiness issues of oil paint last Saturday. That was driving me crazy, lightening the values, and losing the nice colors.

Ustream did not work for me either. Froze up no matter what I did. Im a hundred miles or so from Sherry and sounds like we had same issues. My theory is that its a server issue, local or perhaps regional. No biggie, I'll just purchase the class when it come available.

I cant believe I've sustained such a high level of excitement for painting for months now! I give credit to Johannes for that.

LynnM
03-22-2011, 06:43 PM
I feel the same way, I am thinking about painting all the time, and though I have a lot of other things I have to do, I make much better use of what painting time I have. I have taken many art courses over the years, but none of them generated the kind of energy and enthusiasm I am feeling here. Many thanks, Johannes!

mozapony
03-22-2011, 09:56 PM
I've the same kind of excitement about painting now. I've not painted anything in the photos homework thread yet. Planning in watercolor for all the techniques has overwhelmed me as well as all the reading I'm doing from the books. (Purcell, Roberts)

The 'mastering composition' book is one gem. My brain swims in the knowledge.

Johannes, I hope you do a class segment on composition sometime in the future or possibly some examples and how to design the armature. Its application is new to me and seems a tad complex to separate the understanding, grasp it, and apply it. whoa! no wonder painters were called masters.
rgds
Sandee

gardenart
03-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Johannes biggest fan: I am not the only one at my house who is absorbed with the demos Johannes gives (see below).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2011/214425-Guido_taking_art.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2011/214425-Johannes_helper.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2011/214425-Johannes_helper_2.jpg

I have been working on my acrylic painting for 3 weeks now off and on. I thought I had it finished today til I photographed it and noticed a little place I have to fix, again. I have repainted it several times. It is hard to do values in color! I had them all too dark except the sky. UGH Will try to post it tomorrow if I get it fixed. I am just learning so much and it is sometimes hard to put into action. But I will not give up and next time it will definitely be water colors for me.

Sue

karan55
03-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Johannes biggest fan: I am not the only one at my house who is absorbed with the demos Johannes gives (see below).Sue

I'm still laughing.....It just goes to show you Cats are regal and highly sophisticated!!!

kittierue
03-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Oh my gosh! I think I've hit a wall.

I'm working on my 3rd landscape for homework which is also part of my 6 paintings in the style of George Inness. Trying to fix my stupid watercolor (on my second rendition of it) for mass planning, trying to get some "fun" and "colorful" animal portraits painted along with designing some stupid florals for a May show that like an idiot I committed to.

All I want to do is eat m&m's. Is this normal? I'm yearning and yearning to produce work that sings, but today it's all out of tune. Any suggestions?

I tried to doodle while watching tube with the man, and THAT isn't even working!!!! Yikes! Anyone else been there, done that?

HazelP
03-22-2011, 10:44 PM
I loved the helping paw Sue!!!!:cat:

kittierue
03-22-2011, 10:45 PM
OMG! That is so cute. I had my boyfriend Jake up here with me one day, and everytime Johannes would speak, Jake would converse right along with him. Every now and then Jake would laugh, hehehehe, and then say "okay".
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2011/222668-Photo_22.jpg

Johannes biggest fan: I am not the only one at my house who is absorbed with the demos Johannes gives (see below).
Sue

gardenart
03-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Kittie, he is so cute.Must be something about Johannes voice. Every time he does a demo, Guido runs over to the computer and tried to help. He did it on the oil demo too. Fun stuff. But he was blocking my view.:lol:
Sue

shbezaire
03-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Dear Johannes and other webinar attendees,

Like many others, I have found Johannes' classes on composition a great learning experience - just what I was looking for to take my painting to the next level of competency.

I have some juried art competitions that I will be submitting work to over the next few months. I had assumed that if I submit one of my paintings to Johannes for a critique, that I would not be able to use that work as a submission - due to competition restrictions of art produced in workshops.

In discussions with others, I have found that there are differing opinions as to whether a critique of a work has the same "weight" as a work done in a workshop. What defines an art workshop vs critique? I have attended 11 of Johannes' sessions - that averages over 33 hours (2:30 to 5:30 due to his diligence as a teacher) which is way more than a 5 full day workshop.

Although I would not submit his assigned homework to a competition, I have been working to incorporate Johannes teachings in new pieces. Could those pieces be considered completed in a workshop?

I would be interested in what others think about this issue - especially following the success of this webinar and the likelihood of more online seminars being offered in the future.

Comments, thoughts...
Susi
Fine Artwww.SusiHavensBezaire.com (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/www.SusiHavensBezaire.com)

Johannes Instructor
03-23-2011, 08:29 AM
OMG! That is so cute. I had my boyfriend Jake up here with me one day, and everytime Johannes would speak, Jake would converse right along with him. Every now and then Jake would laugh, hehehehe, and then say "okay".
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2011/222668-Photo_22.jpg
Now that's funny. I would really take advantage of the parrot. Let him listen to my class and hear me repeat "abstract shapes" , "melodic lines" etc that way he will repeat it while you are painting. It's like having your own tutor at home. Or are you hinting to me that with so much repitition I sound like a parrot.

Johannes Instructor
03-23-2011, 08:35 AM

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2011/214425-Johannes_helper.jpg

I have been working on my acrylic painting for 3 weeks now off and on. I thought I had it finished today til I photographed it and noticed a little place I have to fix, again. I have repainted it several times. It is hard to do values in color! I had them all too dark except the sky. UGH Will try to post it tomorrow if I get it fixed. I am just learning so much and it is sometimes hard to put into action. But I will not give up and next time it will definitely be water colors for me.

Sue

I guess we can say the classes are PAWsitively entertaining!

Johannes Instructor
03-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Ok it is my turn. Kenneth, my son is giving a workshop. This was a very MOOving experience.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2011/135220-190284_187475467957657_100000856169215_432679_355919_n.jpg

kittierue
03-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Oh my! Those cows are lovely! And not afraid at all. Looks chilly. re: my boyfriend Jake (parrot), I'm going to work on the special terms with him. So far he doesn't come into my workroom, the ventilation isn't yet perfect, and birds are really susceptible due to their small oxygen capacity. But we call back and forth while I paint.

Ok it is my turn. Kenneth, my son is giving a workshop. This was a very MOOving experience.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2011/135220-190284_187475467957657_100000856169215_432679_355919_n.jpg

Colorix
03-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Suzie, I've thought this through, from both sides (participating, and judging). My comments in red are some of my thoughts and the conclusions I've reached.

I have some juried art competitions that I will be submitting work to over the next few months. I had assumed that if I submit one of my paintings to Johannes for a critique, that I would not be able to use that work as a submission - due to competition restrictions of art produced in workshops.

If only you and J knows, it is up to your conscience.No artist exists in a vacuum. Your painting buddy could walk into your studio and say "the value is wrong in this spot", and you change it.

A juried show/competition is somewhat like a test in school. You may use only what is in your head, and no text-books, and the teacher will not help you find the right answer.

(On the other hand, all great singers still have coaches that train them, so do sports people. Do we complain about that when they perform, and take part in the superbowl? Is the difference the entertainment value of their performances?)

Speaking for me only, I wouldn't hesitate to submit if a comment results in a minor change of something I'd've discovered on my own later. I would hesitate if I have to change an important part, or a large part. I'm responsible for upholding my honour, and submit work that is mine. Besides, I wouldn't know where I stand as an artist if I wasn't strict with myself, in the context of juried shows. I do not want to have any doubts, it must be crystal clear that it is my work that places (or fails, for that matter, and this is the most frequent result...). I'd be uncomfortable if I knew the teacher's input was *the* thing that made the painting make it to the select few.

I'm stricter with me than I am with others. When judging, I give the benefit of the doubt.

In discussions with others, I have found that there are differing opinions as to whether a critique of a work has the same "weight" as a work done in a workshop. What defines an art workshop vs critique? ...

I take it that workshop means that the piece is painted under supervision, and guidance, from idea, over execution, to final touches. Quite often the teacher has painted on/in your work, to show and help, and you have changed things as you go because of the guidance.

A critique is educative verbal comments. Teacher's hand is not in the work. Teacher's guidance is, or may be, though. "Look, there you have cloned two trees." And you go and 'un-clone' them because of what the critiquer says. It is your hand, your idea for the painting, your execution. But also guidance that resulted in a change. This is more tricky.

Although I would not submit his assigned homework to a competition, I have been working to incorporate Johannes teachings in new pieces. Could those pieces be considered completed in a workshop?

No, definitely not (unless you've gotten extensive advice on those particular pieces). You are making what you've learned your own, and adding them to your visual vocabulary, to express something with. It is now *yours*. Be it fluent, or be it a struggle to find the right 'words' -- it really is you.

I would be interested in what others think about this issue - especially following the success of this webinar and the likelihood of more online seminars being offered in the future.

Every artist has had teachers, either in school, academy, studio, or books and dvds. These webinars are not different from that. (Different in content, as we all know, but still simply lectures, examples, assignments, critique -- it is a school!)

sherrysherman
03-23-2011, 09:54 AM
I guess we can say the classes are PAWsitively entertaining!
Oh noooo, you did NOT say that! <groannnnnn> :cat:

Dougwas
03-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Maybe these classes are purrfect.:cat:

Doug

sherrysherman
03-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Maybe these classes are purrfect.:cat:

Doug
Oh, ouch.

Please, can we not take this any FURther?

Why do we groan at puns, then do our best to come up with our own? It's a sickness. :)

mozapony
03-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Roll On Floor Laughing OUt Loud.

Cats are painters too. Put some paint in front of the kat !!!
Thanks for the laugh.

What a beautiful pic - a stunning creature. It must be a "Libra". lol
with that eye liner make-up on and its little beard trimmed smartly.
regards

P.S.
Ken's Kows
LOL,
cows make perfect students with their big brown eyes and long lashes looking back at the teacher.

Figures, always one trying to eat in class.
funfun

Improv
03-23-2011, 02:45 PM
It would seem that Kenneth is outstanding in his field! :thumbsup:

Ruthie57
03-23-2011, 04:01 PM
I hope they listened when he taught them about MOOlodic lines....

Colorix
03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Jonannes asked me to post my horse painting here, so here goes. I think he wants to talk edges, so I add a few closeups. Tail is diffused:

Soft/Dry Pastel on Clairefontaine Pastelmat
Size 50x50 cm (19x19")

Title: Through the Storm

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2011/117343-Through-the-Storm-n-Herczfe.jpg

Details:

Nose area

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2011/117343-Nose_edges.jpg

Legs lost and found in dust-storm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2011/117343-Leg_edges.jpg

Silverlark
03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Hi Johannes,
This is such a great experience for me, and again I thank you! Painting has gone from a struggle to fun, now that I understand about value masses and abstract shapes. I had a vague notion of them before, but everything was hit and miss.
Now adding edges to my repitoire, and there's a lot less hit and miss, except hopefully a deliberate edge. When something is wrong, I know why it is wrong, and I know what to do to fix it.
Theresa
p.s. the Cat and the Parrot and the Cows are animal cracking me up!

LynnM
03-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Really beautiful, Charlie!

Silverlark
03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Love the horse, very expressive and equine!

Johannes Instructor
03-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Charlie please my comments about your painting.

Colorix
03-24-2011, 02:57 AM
Johannes's comment, quoted.

Wow Charlie. This is wonderful. few artsits know hot to create a 3D effect and make the horse feel like it is moving and YOU did. Personally if this were in a wildlife show to be juried, I would give it an award. Charlie would you please post this in the online class forum so the rest can see how to handle edges with figures moving and receding along with my comments?

jmcedeno
03-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Jonannes asked me to post my horse painting here, so here goes. I think he wants to talk edges, so I add a few closeups. Tail is diffused:

Soft/Dry Pastel on Clairefontaine Pastelmat
Size 50x50 cm (19x19")

Title: Through the Storm

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2011/117343-Through-the-Storm-n-Herczfe.jpg

Details:

Nose area

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2011/117343-Nose_edges.jpg

Legs lost and found in dust-storm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2011/117343-Leg_edges.jpg
Charlie, this is outstanding it looks like the horse jumps out of the picture.

Dharma_bum
03-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Charlie---Your horse is spectacular!

Dan

Dharma_bum
03-25-2011, 04:59 AM
Here is an interesting short video about how the human eye makes sense of the surroundings.

http://www.sciencefriday.com/videos/watch/10367

Dan

Colorix
03-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Jose, Dan, thank you!

I've used all sorts of edges in it, which is part of why Johannes wanted it here. I've also used colour temperature, cools (green, blue, violet) recede, warms (red, orange, yellow) come forward. Colour intensity, higher chroma comes forward, lower recedes. And values. Blurry, lost, diffused, indistinct edges help create an illusion of movement, sharper edges in what comes forward. These work the same regardless of the subject painted.

Dan, thanks for the link to how the eye sees, that was interesting. I'd expected the eye to pay attention to where the gaze was being moved *to*, not the area in the visual field where the object currently in focus would end up.

"The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend." Terry Pratchett has made excellent use of this in his book, especially with the figure Death. :-) I got a good lesson, once. I was looking for my teacup. I was absolutely sure it was on the table by the couch. "Where is my green cup?" I could not find it, it wasn't there, and it wasn't anywhere else, until I looked in the dish-washer. Oh. So, coming back to the livingroom, there was a *yellow* cup on the table, and I had not seen it, as my mind was lookig for a *green* cup. Spooky, at the time, and I felt so foolish. I was blind to the yellow cup.

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2011, 08:55 AM
I requested some books from Northlight that I had not read. I had posted this book in the recommended books section because I saw a magazine article of the author so I recommended it blindly. Good thing is I was right. This book is excellent. This has become one of my top 4 recommndations. Ignore that the title mentions watercolor. The knowledge is applicable to all mediums. She just shows examples in watercolor.

Click on the link below to purchase. Type in WCLIVE where it says Apply Code for 10% off. If you purchase two books or more to go over $25.00 you will get free shipping in the USA.

http://www.northlightshop.com/product/powerful-watercolor-landscapes/?r=WCLIVEJV&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=Improve%20my%20Paintings&cid=k352105

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2011, 09:23 AM
I am also adding this book to the list of recommendations.

Click on the link below to purchase. Type in WCLIVE where it says Apply Code for 10% off. If you purchase two books or more to go over $25.00 you will get free shipping in the USA

http://www.northlightshop.com/product/a-painters-guide-to-design-and-composition?utm_medium=affiliate&r=naff&utm_source=Improve%20my%20Paintings&cid=k352105

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2011, 12:24 PM
I just completed this painting. "Beginning to Thaw" 16 X 20 " Oil

karan55
03-25-2011, 01:12 PM
I just completed this painting. "Beginning to Thaw" 16 X 20 "

Is this done with acrylics?...I see some texture but it looks like watercolor.

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Is this done with acrylics?...I see some texture but it looks like watercolor.
oil

karan55
03-25-2011, 01:28 PM
oil

It sure is beautiful! You are definitely getting your points across; by example!!!!
I make too much mess with oils, so I have to wait till warmer weather so I can paint out in the garage! Just yesterday I knocked my pallette off the easle shelf and of course it landed face down and all the diluted watercolor got on the throw rug....atleast I had the carpet protected and watercolors clean up well. How does your wife handle all the oil paint stains????

zorbanite
03-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I like WD-40 to get the paint up. Then to get the wd-40 I use Dawn dish detergent. First the paint disolves when you put the WD40 on it. Don't rub take it easy. Then when the paint is gone you might have a oil spot use Dawn. Try an area first that no one will notice. I could be wrong but have done this to my cloths for years. yes Carpet is different so try it some place first that no one will see.

karan55
03-25-2011, 01:53 PM
I like WD-40 to get the paint up. Then to get the wd-40 I use Dawn dish detergent. First the paint disolves when you put the WD40 on it. Don't rub take it easy. Then when the paint is gone you might have a oil spot use Dawn. Try an area first that no one will notice. I could be wrong but have done this to my cloths for years. yes Carpet is different so try it some place first that no one will see.
Thanks! I get it on my clothes and many other things even when out in the garage....so, I will try it out! I heard it is good to kill bee nests as well!

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2011, 02:32 PM
It sure is beautiful! You are definitely getting your points across; by example!!!!
I make too much mess with oils, so I have to wait till warmer weather so I can paint out in the garage! Just yesterday I knocked my pallette off the easle shelf and of course it landed face down and all the diluted watercolor got on the throw rug....atleast I had the carpet protected and watercolors clean up well. How does your wife handle all the oil paint stains????

She doesn't. LOL! We don't have rugs. Instead of cleaning your rug you could've cut that section out and frame it. The modern art galleries would've loved it.

jmcedeno
03-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I just completed this painting. "Beginning to Thaw" 16 X 20 " Oil
WOW!, Johannes that is a gorgeous painting.

Ruthie57
03-25-2011, 03:49 PM
A gorgeous painting indeed :clap: Thanks for showing us!

Johannes, I hope you don't mind but I put this in greyscale and, in some ways, it's even more gorgeous like that! I can't up load it though. Think it must be protected in some way.

I see you've kept the mid darks to a minimum...they only appear in the mid ground trees and the water with accents here and there. You have white snow above and below those trees. We've talked about "stacking" values and I believe these don't stack simply because they are not large areas. Am I right? Can you give us an insight into the planning of this painting maybe. I think it may be very helpful.......

sherrysherman
03-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Johannes, I hope you don't mind but I put this in greyscale and, in some ways, it's even more gorgeous like that! I can't up load it though. Think it must be protected in some way.

I see you've kept the mid darks to a minimum...they only appear in the mid ground trees and the water with accents here and there. You have white snow above and below those trees. We've talked about "stacking" values and I believe these don't stack simply because they are not large areas. Am I right? Can you give us an insight into the planning of this painting maybe. I think it may be very helpful.......
Here, Ruthie-- (yup, still gorgeous.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2011/616112-JV_Beginning_to_Thaw_B+W.jpg

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Here, Ruthie-- (yup, still gorgeous.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2011/616112-JV_Beginning_to_Thaw_B+W.jpg
You are right. Those areas do stack. The one on the right as you can see even though the snow patch appears to be sunlit it is grayed down. Just a tad and the photo doesn't show it but it went into a value 2. I could not figure a way to connect the two white areas at the background so I had to violate the principle but at least I did it in the focal area. had I done that with the snow on the right then that would have been a mistake. Good observation though! However do you see how I downplayed the value of the sun spots in the foreground? Obviously the smaller the area less noticeable will be the stacking.
Something just occurred to me. If I open a gap in those trees can I get close enough for those two sections to visually connect. I hope the white gap in between those trees doesn't bother.

Colorix
03-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Johannes, it is beautiful and luminous! The bg pines are your focal area, right? What if you cheat a bit, and cool the temperature of the snow behind the tree, and warm it up at the feet of the trees? Temp shift instead of value shift. Even though the angles are different and the flatter ground be bluer, can't we say warm light bounces off the firs? Like this

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2011/117343-J_snow_C.jpg

karan55
03-25-2011, 05:22 PM
You are right. Those areas do stack. The one on the right as you can see even though the snow patch appears to be sunlit it is grayed down. Just a tad and the photo doesn't show it but it went into a value 2. I could not figure a way to connect the two white areas at the background so I had to violate the principle but at least I did it in the focal area. had I done that with the snow on the right then that would have been a mistake. Good observation though! However do you see how I downplayed the value of the sun spots in the foreground? Obviously the smaller the area less noticeable will be the stacking.
Something just occurred to me. If I open a gap in those trees can I get close enough for those two sections to visually connect. I hope the white gap in between those trees doesn't bother.

WOW! I love the way you show how little revisions make big impacts/differences!!! The trees look much more 3D; like your chess game was more in progress. It seems to invite you off into the hills. Are you happy with the revision??

Ruthie57
03-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks Sherry for uploading the greyscale!
Johannes, the 2 snow patches didn't bother me but I noticed that they apparantly "stacked". I think it looks just as good without them connecting as it does when they do. As you say, as it's in the focal area the eye expects sharp contrast so it works. On the right I agree it would not have worked to have a white area above those trees.
I did notice that the sunspots in the foreground were just slightly lighter accents in the mid value range. You know Johannes, I would not have noticed that before your classes! I would just have read them as sunlit snow and thought no more about it. Yet if they were big and white, they would glare out at the viewer and possibly give the painting an unsatisfactory feel.

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2011, 05:35 PM
WOW! I love the way you show how little revisions make big impacts/differences!!! The trees look much more 3D; like your chess game was more in progress. It seems to invite you off into the hills. Are you happy with the revision??
Yes I am more

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks Sherry for uploading the greyscale!
Johannes, the 2 snow patches didn't bother me but I noticed that they apparantly "stacked". I think it looks just as good without them connecting as it does when they do. As you say, as it's in the focal area the eye expects sharp contrast so it works. On the right I agree it would not have worked to have a white area above those trees.
I did notice that the sunspots in the foreground were just slightly lighter accents in the mid value range. You know Johannes, I would not have noticed that before your classes! I would just have read them as sunlit snow and thought no more about it. Yet if they were big and white, they would glare out at the viewer and possibly give the painting an unsatisfactory feel.
yeah they didn't bother me either. But I figured i would send you photos of what I am thinking so you can understand.

karan55
03-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Yes I am more

Thank you so much for sharing with us! I learn so much more visually! All that you have taught so far has made me so happy...and motivated to get outside and PAINT!! I have never been so motivated and excited, as this. I have to admit I am a little frustrated, as well, that it is harder to put in practice....but atleast I feel it might be possible for me, if I practice and keep trying! Atleast now I have more of an understanding why and how to improve my paintings.

Lin Frye
03-25-2011, 05:48 PM
WOWOW!! Johannes -- it is a stunner!

painterted
03-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Beautiful job Johannes, what do they say a "picture is like a thousand words".

susanc
03-25-2011, 07:43 PM
And now you also have the extra-added bonus of being able to go back even further into your painting...Great return on your time investment--two benefits for the price of one fix!

I agree with Charlie--it's luminous. That's what I'm drawn to in a painting. The one I'm currently working on looks like someone forgot to turn on the light! Thanks for a great example of the type of effect I'm trying for.

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Johannes, it is beautiful and luminous! The bg pines are your focal area, right? What if you cheat a bit, and cool the temperature of the snow behind the tree, and warm it up at the feet of the trees? Temp shift instead of value shift. Even though the angles are different and the flatter ground be bluer, can't we say warm light bounces off the firs? Like this

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2011/117343-J_snow_C.jpg
All colors that recede get cooler with the exception of white which gets warmer. I know that sounds ironic but it's true. I could put the snow on the hill in shadow but then it would stack with the foreground. This is as far as I can take it.

elisamaria
03-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Johannes, what a good lesson again watching and absorbing your beautiful painting. Thank you showing this. As you said, we need lots of examples of good paintings. Love to learn more tonight! See you.

Charlie, your horse is wild and so beautiful. What a 3D effect! Great!!

Elisabeth

jeanetteg
03-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Cats are much more discriminating than dogs. They seem to watch anything. Wonderful picture.

Patricia Ann
03-26-2011, 02:50 PM
I have you on three different screens in Wet Canvas so I never know which screen to be on. If you could do everything on one screen it would be simpler.

robertsloan2
03-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Sue, your cat is beautiful. I messaged you about that. LOL wonderful series of photos!

Ken, yours is ROFL too!

Charlie, I love that horse painting and agree with Johannes 100% on it, that is incredible and ought to be submitted to major international wildlife shows.

Johannes, love the stunner oil painting you posted and enjoyed seeing Charlie's tweak to it too. Y'all are both so far beyond me and both so effective at critique and using critique that you set great examples!

Dana Design
03-26-2011, 06:18 PM
I have you on three different screens in Wet Canvas so I never know which screen to be on. If you could do everything on one screen it would be simpler.

Then look at the threads within this forum. You will find what you are looking for.

painters2
03-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Just would like to say that I am really enjoying these painting lessons, especially today (March 26). I learned a lot of valuable information. It is wonderful that it is free, thank you Johannes for taking the time to do this for us, and great that I don`t have to go out of the house in this cold yuccky weather.

musika
03-26-2011, 08:37 PM
I am so annoyed that I will have to miss tomorrow's demonstration.

typerighter
03-27-2011, 12:07 AM
It would seem that Kenneth is outstanding in his field! :thumbsup:

Hmmmm - a whole new spin on "captive" audience!
Wanda:lol:

Arantxa
03-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Johannes, you said yesterday you don't use Cobalt Blue for sky. What about snow scenes, harmonizing with the blue shadows of snow?

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Here are photo sections of tree reference photos. I will do decidious trees and evergreens. Have today's handout on the side so you can see how I apply the points in it. I couldn't upload on wetcanvas today so click on this link to see the reference photos

http://cyberartlearning.com/F&WTEMP/tree-samples.html

If you want to follow along with me today by all means do so.

lebeau
03-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Johannes,
The difference between focal point and focal area was a AH! experience for me.

Thanks

Armande Lebeau

Patricia Ann
03-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Johannes I have learned a lot and love following you; however, every time you paint and I go to whatever web site you send us to I can never see you painting. Today is no different. I went to CyberArtLearning using the link you sent through email and even watched the advertisement, but when it came time to watch the clock tick or see you paint all I got was the advertisement sign with Stickam in yellow with a yellow moon/yellow circle. I don't seem to have a problem with GoToMeeting and I can watch video's through other sources. If you have any suggestions that might help me correct this problem it would be greatly appreciated. It breaks my heart not to see you paint. May God Bless.

Davkin
03-27-2011, 03:27 PM
I actually had video and then it just stopped and now all I can get is what you're getting, the Stickcam logo. Oh well. My guess is there is just too many of us for any of these live video streaming sites to handle.

David

marionh
03-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Today's demonstration, appears to be an unmitigated disaster for me today. Particularly annoying as I logged in very early and was on board.

I can no longer get any video. It appears now that I can hear Ken talking after about a 10 minute wait.

- And yes I kept refreshing and I know all the adverts.

Davkin
03-27-2011, 03:41 PM
I was there early as well, but I noticed a couple minutes before it went dark that the sound was starting to break up. I think we're just putting too much of a load on the system. It's anybody's guess as to how it picks who gets dumped.

David

Arantxa
03-27-2011, 03:46 PM
You are lucky marionh, I cannot hear anybody and the screen is black.
I tried to go back to the webinar; it says is waiting for the organizer.
Anybody there??????

marionh
03-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Not much luck, thought I was winning as I got about 10 secs of sound and a pic but that has remained static.

Anyone know how to sign up to log into the chat?

Arantxa
03-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Guys, don't give up!
Try again, click on the web address on the top and have patience with the add. Pity I missed the beginning but I can see and hear the demo.
Good luck

Davkin
03-27-2011, 04:59 PM
I tried for about an hour, isn't that enough? :lol:

David

marionh
03-27-2011, 05:27 PM
I got back in about 10pm my time 94PM est and it has been good since then. The viewer count was below 980+/_. For the last hour it has been good. Viewer count now 886

Unfortunately it was the first part I was really interested in - how the paint stroke went on for the deciduous trees with the variety of colours.

SUNQMKS
03-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Hi Johannes,

Thank you for the live oil painting show today. The video is great. I have learnt a lot from you. I really appreciate your hard work.

Jimmy Sun
http://www.zhibit.org/jimmysunpainting

Kat5
Thanks so much foe Todays Demo Johannes it went well, lots of good bits of info! Good to see it all starting to come together. Would love to see more demos too if possible...:clap:

Lee

Catherine the Great
This webcam setup works perfectly. I had no lag time at all like there was with the other setups. I just had trouble finding out how to log in to get to chat. I had some questions regarding viridian green. What other color would be used, if you do not have viridian green?

sannew
03-27-2011, 06:02 PM
The webcam this week was wonderful and so was the lesson. Thank you so much!!!!!!

I am just sad that I came into this late. This is just my second week and I may miss next Sunday's as well.

winecountry
03-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Today was just great, really useful how to for the trees,
Stickcam was much better than last week, first it's very high def, second it was not jerky, the high def is really helpful to see the details.

It did drop off a lot at first, some due to Jo, but once started was stable, until MY power went off right after starting the green tree...when the power came on I was able to get right back on at the beginning of the evergreen trees...hope he posts his demos so I can see how he finished up the green tree.

I like Stickcam a lot better than the other two he's had, and for me it was very stable after we got started....I always got back in when I had to reboot even in the middle with my power outage.

I'll bet some people are going to be troubled by how it started as we were getting set up and all the offs and ons....but if they were adaptable and resourceful it was a very good ride once he started after 3:30, it really is a more stable platform and showed off how great a teacher he was, and thanks to Ken we got most of the questions answered too.

It looks like a sm percentage of people always have problems, which is just how the internet is, with all the different computers, browsers, providers countries etc....I've found if I just keep trying I usually find a way to get it to work....of course there may be unsolvable problems and if F and W would just get the vids done we could buy whatever we missed or wanted ( sigh) hope this part comes along this month as we've really been patient I think.

oldradagast
03-27-2011, 06:06 PM
"Beginning to Thaw" is beautiful, and so full of all we've been taught, from proper trees (of all kinds), to water, snow, hard and soft edges, melodic lines, abstract shapes, and even a bit of hills in the distance.

It's also a great example of how to make what is normally an unexciting scene - if one believes the camera - into a great painting.

sterjane
03-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Johannes, thanks so much for this free course. It has been incredibly better than any I have taken in Ottawa, face to face with instructors. I had no problems with the old site or the new site. I suspect that a lot of the people who were unhappy today were that way because we were looking at your blank canvas for a while before you actually started the demo. I thought I wasn't going to see anything also. And you did start late. And there is that strange thing about having to adjust your sound from muted to "on" in the top left hand screen. But if you get that right, it is a perfect method. Also, it would be better if you just start us up next week in the new window so we all hear and see you, or the ticking clock, right away. I'm thrilled with this, although I am actually using assimulated learning, as I'm watching you while doing free motion quilting on the other table. I have conflicting artistic pursuits going on at the moment, but have several acrylic and watercolour canvasses in the works, and will use your hints to make my work much better.

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2011, 06:13 PM
This webcam setup works perfectly. I had no lag time at all like there was with the other setups. I just had trouble finding out how to log in to get to chat. I had some questions regarding viridian green. What other color would be used, if you do not have viridian green?

Don't try to substitute it. It makes great greens. just buy it

Oilpainter1
03-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Everything went well today - the video demo was clear and not jerky. I have learned so much in these workshops! Have taken many art classes, but none have given me the knowledge, skills and insights that your workshop has. The trees demo today was wonderful! Thank you so much - my painting has and will be greatly improved and my frustration level decreased!
Linda

Kat5
03-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Just an idea Johannes ..but is it possible for you to broadcast the webcam demos on more than one carrier ie stickam and one of the previously used systems? then you could instruct half the class to go to one link and half to the other but we could all still see the video broadcasts. I'm not sure if this would work but maybe something to look into.
Lee

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Just an idea Johannes ..but is it possible for you to broadcast the webcam demos on more than one carrier ie stickam and one of the previously used systems? then you could instruct half the class to go to one link and half to the other but we could all still see the video broadcasts. I'm not sure if this would work but maybe something to look into.
Lee
I dont have the upload speed. Bell Canada is promising 7 times faster in a few months.

donnagail
03-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Thank you Johannes for providing these classes! So helpful. I have not had any problems with any of the classes or demos.

Sunny7
03-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Johannes, Totally awesome demo today! Thanks so very much. Trees were my greatest probem. I say "were" because now using the techniques you taught I hope to do much better! Again, I so appreciate being able to take these classes.
Video today ran very smooth for me in KY

gale Prosser Shuba
03-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Johannes,
I don't know what happened. I enjoyed about 45 min. of your demo and then lost everything, video and sound. I went back to webinar but there was nothing there. I know I wasn't the only one because other people had the same problem. Do you have any idea of what went wrong.

IrmaH322
03-27-2011, 07:30 PM
It was a perfect transmission after it started; actually I had never have problems with the previous ones.
Thank you Johannes for today trees demo I really needed it. Trees are the most difficult part of the landscape for me specially the brush strokes. If I only had the videos to watch them over and over. I am following your suggestions and I am photographing trees, shrubs, rocks, etc. to paint like you did today, then I will put them together. You and Ken made a very good team today. Thank you again you are the best teacher.

jpetersen
03-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Johannes,

Today's demo ran perfectly for me and even though I do watercolors and pastels I feel it was very helpful information.

Unfortunately, I was one last week who had to drop out as the video froze up every time I rebooted so I missed out on the great watercolor demonstration you did -- which I really needed.

Thank you for all the great information you are sharing with us. I ordered the 4 books you recommended today and look forward to getting them.

Keep up the good work.

jpetersen
03-27-2011, 07:48 PM
I have been reading some of the posts from persons who had trouble getting the video and don't know if this will be helpful or not, b ut I too had to re-enter twice and got only the logo until I clicked on one of the icons at the bottom of the picture to the right that looked something like a cog and thenb clicked on settings and the picture came up. Also, at the top left of the pictures is a place to un-mute the sound and turn it up with the slider. I didn't figure out how to register to participate in the chat but decided that didn't matter to me as I was more interested in watching the video.

jmcedeno
03-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Johannes, what a fabulous class today everything turned out perfect, I was glued to the screen for the entire length of the demo. First time that I am able to understand all the secrets of painting trees and, tomorrow I'll begin practicing with different kind of tress. The sound and the video was a lot better than in previous weeks, hope you could continue with Stickcam the rest of the course. And, once again, thank you, thank you to you and Ken.

Davkin
03-27-2011, 08:12 PM
I have been reading some of the posts from persons who had trouble getting the video and don't know if this will be helpful or not, b ut I too had to re-enter twice and got only the logo until I clicked on one of the icons at the bottom of the picture to the right that looked something like a cog and thenb clicked on settings and the picture came up. Also, at the top left of the pictures is a place to un-mute the sound and turn it up with the slider. I didn't figure out how to register to participate in the chat but decided that didn't matter to me as I was more interested in watching the video.

I played with all of the buttons, nothing worked. It's very interesting how seemingly arbitrary the whole thing is. Some people see the whole thing no problem, some only see a few minutes, some much longer some not at all and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to who gets left out and who doesn't. For me this was the first time I ever had any problems viewing any of his webcam demos.

David

sherrysherman
03-27-2011, 08:15 PM
I played with all of the buttons, nothing worked. It's very interesting how seemingly arbitrary the whole thing is. Some people see the whole thing no problem, some only see a few minutes, some much longer some not at all and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to who gets left out and who doesn't.
Testing your psychological fortitude. Think of it this way: You are never given more than you can handle. Be strong! You can conquer this! <hehehe>

mozapony
03-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Johannes,
In the trees demo, Mar.27, you mentioned again as a point of importance the 1/3 - 2/3 rule. I'm not clear on this when it comes to trees. I get it for division on the canvas for the Golden Mean. (eeps, If I missed your class on this explanation, please direct me). I'm pleasantly overwhelmed with all this learning lately. funfun

I only found this re: wetcanvas when I googled the web in hopes of finding one of your threads:

"1/3 - 2/3 method as being 1/3 light values and 2/3's dark values or vice versa."

When is this method used in what applications, ei: trees, etc?
thanks
Sandee

billy boy
03-27-2011, 08:27 PM
:thumbsup: I missed the first two classes and will purchase them when they are ready.
I have not had any trouble with the classes untill today. But I think it was me. I'm not very computer savy. I finally got in somehow, I don't know how.
Thx for your advise..Jpetersen... I will read it again before next Saturday. I missed about 20 mins. of the demo.(boohoo) Yesterday I had my grandsons here and two of the kids next door. I was very distracted, They wanted to eat every five mins. It was a mercy mission. I will purchase these and others too. Thank you Johannes for your excellent teaching skills. And everybody else too.

Davkin
03-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Testing your psychological fortitude. Think of it this way: You are never given more than you can handle. Be strong! You can conquer this! <hehehe>

I don't beleive there is anything for me to conquer here. I had video then didn't and it wouldn't come back. I don't beleive there is anything I could have done. If I never had video in the first place then I'd say you might be right.

David

winecountry
03-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Johannes,
I don't know what happened. I enjoyed about 45 min. of your demo and then lost everything, video and sound. I went back to webinar but there was nothing there. I know I wasn't the only one because other people had the same problem. Do you have any idea of what went wrong.

He closed the webinar after 3:30 as it takes too much bandwidth for him to do both, what I did when I had to come in after a power outage was to go to the link he gave in the email of cyberartlearning nudesign, and found the vid running just fine....going back to gotomeeting webinar would not have worked as it was closed down by then

spudsmom
03-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Thank you for the fabulous class today. Given that it was oil painting, I contacted my son(who hasn't been in the class) to join in. Neither of us had any trouble securing and watching the entire demonstration. We both have Macs and are in two different states.

I have started my tree practice pictures already this evening. Since I'm a beginner, and working in watercolor, I know I will need lots of practice. Pine trees will be the death of me yet! I've doen some really cool deciduous trees in the past, now if I could just get those pines under control...http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Analia
03-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Well, as you asked us to tell about our experience with broadcasting, I have to say that I never had trouble, not with any of the three sources. If I had to pick one, IŽd say that UStream did it better for me cause it had less delay.
Anyway, today I had to refresh a couple of times when it got frozen and that was all. In my opinion, the problems may be mostly due to bandwidth issues.
Thanks, Johannes, for everything :)

Jean50
03-27-2011, 10:08 PM
I want to first thank you Johannes for giving these classes. I have taken several classses but, never learned this much in all these years of taking classes. You are a wonderful teacher. And thank you for repeating. I really need that. The class today, painting trees, oh my, I got so much out of that. Watching you paint a complete painting I would wonder just how you did that tree. Now I know. Thanks
I did have a little trouble at the beginning, I was on and seeing the clock and thought things was going well when you had to reboot, then wasn't working. So I went back to my email and got on again and going fine then it went away again. Had to refresh 3 more times. Then when you started the demo it went away again. I went to webinar and it was full. So I refreshed again and you was blocking in the tree. So I don't think I missed too much. The rest to the time it went perfect in every way. I didn't have any problems with the other sights.