PDA

View Full Version : Nominations for ISSA positions

PatrickHedges
03-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Please nominate people for positions in this thread. Only nominate those who have indicated they are keen to do the job. If you aren't sure but think someone is perfect for the job, send them a message and find out. I think these will possibly be interim positions and will be re-nominated for the following year. For a list of positions to be filled, check this thread (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925448)out.

After talking to others, I'm nominating;

1. Ken MacFarlane for the position of Treasurer

2. Sandra Willard for the position of Sectretary.

I will need some seconders :)

lorna12
03-20-2011, 07:20 PM
I'll second those nominations, Patrick.

After speaking with them I'd like to nominate ...
1. Rodman for the position of Vice President.
2. Patrick Hedges for the position of Member at Large on the Board of Directors.

I will need seconders please.

emilycolors
03-20-2011, 07:36 PM
I'll second Ken MacFarlane for the position of Treasurer, Sandra Willard for the position of Sectretary, Rodman for the position of Vice President and Patrick Hedges for Member at Large, Board of Directors.

(Good choices, all!)

Diana Lee
03-20-2011, 07:50 PM
I'd like to nominate Cathy for the position of Exhibition Coordinator.

Diana

Rodman
03-20-2011, 07:57 PM
I second Cathy Sheeter for Exhibition coordinator.

I would like to nominate Lorna Hannett for the President position

I would also like to nominate Diana Lee for "Member at Large"

I accept my nomination. For V.P.

Buggin3
03-20-2011, 08:25 PM
I second Lorna Hannett for the President position.

I second Diana Lee for "Member at Large".

lorna12
03-20-2011, 08:26 PM
I second Diana for MAL on the Board of Directors.

I accept my nomination for Pres.

Diana Lee
03-20-2011, 09:29 PM
I accept my nomination for Member at Large on the Board of Directors.

Garbonzo
03-20-2011, 10:48 PM
It looks like the ISSA is "officially" in good hands now.

sandrawillard
03-20-2011, 11:06 PM
We are really underway now!

I accept my nomination as Secretary.

MuttHut
03-21-2011, 01:03 AM
This is really getting together now, and pleased with the nomination results so far.

Wendy

Crias
03-21-2011, 01:18 AM
I accept my nomination for 'the gal that wants to run the whole dang "show"' :D (exhibit coordinator)

Whoo hoo... this is all starting to feel so official and what a great set of 'peeps' backing it all (and I don't just mean those that will get elected as officers.

annamelia
03-21-2011, 02:50 AM
CONGRATULATIONS everyone! :thumbsup:

artofnature
03-21-2011, 04:38 AM
A wonderful board of people to run this society. Perfect!!! Couldn't be in better hands.

emilycolors
03-21-2011, 08:13 AM
I like how the board is shaping up! Very qualified people!:clap:

Just to streamline this thread, here are the results so far...

President - Lorna Hannett, seconded & accepted
Vice President - Rodman, seconded & accepted
Secretary - Sandra Willard, seconded & accepted
Treasurer - Ken MacFarlane, seconded
Exhibit Coordinator - Cathy Sheeter, seconded & accepted
2-3 Members at large
Patrick Hedges, seconded
Diana Lee, seconded & accepted
possibly one more position open
Membership Coordinator - still open
Website Manager - still open

Harry Seymour
03-21-2011, 08:56 AM
A terrific initial slate of founding officers.

kenmacf
03-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I accept the nomination as Treasurer and look forward to serving with this group of people. This is exciting!!

kenmacf
03-21-2011, 10:08 AM
I believe Wendy "Mutthut" expressed an interest in the Membership Coordinator role. If she is still interested, I would like to nominate her.

Garbonzo
03-21-2011, 10:17 AM
I would be happy to second Wendy's nomination if she is interested.

Rodman
03-21-2011, 11:11 AM
I would like to nominate Emily Harju for Membership coordinator

Celticelf
03-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Yay...I get to second! I second Emily for Membership coordinator.

emilycolors
03-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Thank you Rodman and Terri!

I accept!

lorna12
03-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Web site coordinator, is not someone that needs to be nominated/elected. We definitely need one, but it will have to be someone who is qualified and willing to take on this important ongoing job. Do we have anyone who knows how and likes to build websites or knows someone who does?

It's been my experience with the several groups I have belonged to, that it's usually very difficult to get more than one person to step up to plate to take on any role. It's great that both Wendy and Emily have expressed an interest in, been nominated for membership and accepted but I guess it also means we will have to have a vote. Whoever is successful can do membership and I hope with everyone else's approval the other could (if they're interested) take on a role under Cathy in exhibitions.(that might include sending membership the prospectus for the event, securing awards, notifying national publications, and advertising for the event.) Does that sound alright?

emilycolors
03-21-2011, 04:15 PM
A vote is fair.
If I'm not voted in, though, please don't feel like you have to create a role specifically for me. I think the roles as they are defined now are pretty straight forward. I don't want to barge into Cathy's role but I would be willing to help her if she needed.

kenmacf
03-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Has Wendy accepted the nomination?

MuttHut
03-21-2011, 05:09 PM
I am just reading this now, Had to work this morning..... I can accept nomination if I am not too late?

Wendy

MuttHut
03-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Okay had more reading to do on Lorna's post, vote is fine with me, don't know how much help I could be for Cathy, as she is "in the know" more than I am:), but one can always learn.

WEndy

lorna12
03-21-2011, 05:18 PM
A vote is fair.
If I'm not voted in, though, please don't feel like you have to create a role specifically for me. I think the roles as they are defined now are pretty straight forward. I don't want to barge into Cathy's role but I would be willing to help her if she needed.

Emily...it wouldn't be specially created or barging...this part is in the bylaws.
"EXHIBITION COORDINATOR: The job of the exhibition coordinator is to oversee a group of committees that would be in charge of organizing the annual exhibition. Those committee responsibilities would include finding and securing a venue, sending membership the prospectus for the event, securing awards, notifying national publications, and advertising for the event."

Wendy...you aren't too late. We just have to figure out how to set up the voting.:)

MuttHut
03-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Okay with that.

Wendy

lorna12
03-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Wendy...we xposted...Cathy would be in charge but there are some parts of the job she is going to need some help with.

lorna12
03-21-2011, 05:25 PM
:lol:

MuttHut
03-21-2011, 05:30 PM
No Problem, we'll just wait and see what happens.

Wendy

PatrickHedges
03-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Patrick Hedges, seconded
Ah, I forgot to accept which I do now willingly

sandrawillard
03-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Here's an update to the compilation that Emily posted earlier:

President - Lorna Hannett, seconded & accepted
Treasurer - Ken MacFarlane, seconded & accepted
2-3 Members at large
Patrick Hedges, seconded & accepted
possibly one more position open
Membership Coordinator - Emily Harju, seconded & accepted; Wendy Pros, seconded & accepted
Website Manager - still open

aaces
03-21-2011, 10:21 PM
This is too cool! :cool: :thumbsup:

Diane Cutter
03-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Sounds like a wonderful slate...

Diane

PaintDog
03-21-2011, 11:48 PM
I'd be happy to sign on as a Member at Large if you think you need a third body.

Cristina had expressed an interest in setting up a web site, but she hasn't checked back in since then. I'd be more than happy to assist her.

I'm still having internet issues at home, so I'm not sure when I will be able to check back in.

Cheers, everyone - looks like an awesome slate to get ISSA going!

PatrickHedges
03-22-2011, 12:27 AM
With only 4.2 billion posts to your name, I'm not sure you qualify Ann :lol: :lol:

lorna12
03-22-2011, 01:16 AM
:lol:@Patrick

Section 1
The Board of Directors shall consist of seven (7) members, including President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Exhibition Coordinator and two members at-large. The number of directors may be increased or decreased from time to time by resolution of the Board.

Ann thank you, but a 3rd won't be necessary at this time. Diana and Patrick have already been nominated and accepted. This is not to say that if someone should nominate you that we wouldn't put it to a vote...we will.

I've been involved in many elections before where there is established protocol, but never one to start up an organization and I really don't know how long we should leave nominations open and when we should have the vote. I have looked up Robert's Rules on Elections and there is nothing that pertains to our situation. If there is only 1 person nominated for a position they are automatically in by acclaimation...so far the only vote we would have is for Membership.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how long we should leave nominations open?

PatrickHedges
03-22-2011, 01:50 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on how long we should leave nominations open?
I think I'd like to get going on this soon. The thing that some people could say is it's all a bit WetCanvas heavy, but without this forum it wouldn't have happened anyway - and then when we get members who aren't on WetCanvas, eventually it'll get weighted away as this forum loses ISSA relevance and it's own website and/or magazine gains relevance. That's where the members will come from in future anyway. So I think the sooner the better unless someone has more suggestions.

lorna12
03-22-2011, 02:55 AM
That's the way I was feeling too, Patrick. Were you thinking a day or 2...a week?

PatrickHedges
03-22-2011, 04:59 AM
A week tops, maybe less since we are already this far.

emilycolors
03-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks, Sandra, for keeping the list going.
There are a few small adjustments, mainly re: the Website position.

President - Lorna Hannett seconded & accepted
Treasurer - Ken MacFarlane, seconded & accepted
Members at large (2 positions)
Patrick Hedges, seconded & accepted
Membership Coordinator - Emily Harju, seconded & accepted; Wendy Pros, seconded & accepted - to be put to vote...
Website Manager - will be determined by the board, not a nominated or elected position

Nominations to be closed by Sunday March 27th (which will have been a week's time).

FoggyMountain
03-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Wow, I haven't checked in in way too long. This is coming together very nicely. I'd just as soon vote tomorrow!

kenmacf
03-22-2011, 10:04 AM
I don't think it unreasonable to begin things as soon as possible.

Diana Lee
03-22-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm all for getting this moving as well. Perhaps Cathy or Patrick can set up an election post like Cathy had for the dates for the Texas get together. For those who don't know them, do Emily and Wendy need to speak about themselves?

Diana

emilycolors
03-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Diana, I had been wondering the same thing. If you don't mind I'll just jump in and start.

Hello! I'm Emily Harju, 32 years old. I am currently living in Ohio though my husband, our two children and I are going to be moving to Fort Wayne, Indiana this summer. I had the opportunity to meet some of you at last year's Indy Scratchboard Workshop. Even then I'm sure we didn't get to know each other very much - I can remember just standing around dumbfounded and mute at being in the presence of such great talent. And despite this, you were all very welcoming to me!

My history with scratchboard goes back to elementary school. Mr. Swenson, whom I'll never forget, introduced our class to scratchboard and I took off with it. I scratched pictures even on the scraps of scratchboards that I salvaged from the other kids in the class! At this young age I was proud to have one of my scratchboards accepted and published in a book of student work from the Dodd's school system (that is the military provided schooling for children living with their enrolled parent/parents overseas - I grew up a Navy brat). After that scratchboard had been an off and on thing for me as I rarely had access to the materials. I didn't seriously pick it back up again until after I graduated college with a B.A. in art and psychology. In college it seemed that scratchboard had been left back in elementary school; it wasn't discussed or presented as a valid art form. I am very excited to work with this society to bring scratchboard the recognition it deserves!

If I am voted to fill the role of Membership Coordinator I promise to do my utmost to serve this society and to work with the members of the society in any capacity needed. Most of all, I look forward to getting to know all of you better. In my experience you have been so charitable and humble; I am glad to have the opportunity to return your kindness!

Crias
03-22-2011, 01:27 PM
This is really coming together great!

Of course we are WC heavy!! LOL... um it is all starting right here. I have no doubt that as our membership grows and people from outside of WC become ISSA members that we will become all our own and while I am sure some of us will still be WC members not everyone will be. To me this is no concern at this point in the game since we are the driving force so far.

I am still out of town (mostly trying to catch up from my cell phone which I can't really moderate from), so maybe Patrick can post poll for voting on the 27th? Do we have any spot that has more than one nominee (don't think so)? If we DO then we may need to do it via PM so that it is more private? If not then on WC should be fine.

Diana Lee
03-22-2011, 01:41 PM
I have no doubt that as our membership grows and people from outside of WC become ISSA members that we will become all our own and while I am sure some of us will still be WC members not everyone will be.
Unless we set up a forum on the website that would replace this one (or work along side WC) then I also see new members joining WC.

I think it might be a good idea to have a forum on the ISSA site. But this is down the road and something to think about.

Patrick had a good suggestion for down the road (The magazine article). Maybe we should start listing these ideas in a thread.

Diana

MuttHut
03-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Just a quick comment about the poll to decide who gets the postition of Membership Coordinator. I am going to step out, so you can give the role to Emily......I think she would do a much better job than I would be able to do, as I don't always have the time to check in here as early as everyone else does, to keep on the up and up of what is going on.
Sorry if this screws up things in the making of a poll, but I think this will make things go faster for all.

Wendy

PatrickHedges
03-22-2011, 07:44 PM
I am still out of town (mostly trying to catch up from my cell phone which I can't really moderate from), so maybe Patrick can post poll for voting on the 27th? Do we have any spot that has more than one nominee (don't think so)? If we DO then we may need to do it via PM so that it is more private? If not then on WC should be fine.
If there's only one nomination per role, do we need a poll? I can't get my head around something like a poll being voted on by what amounts to be just anyone since we have nothing formalised yet, and therefore no membership. I may have missed this being explained though.

Diana Lee
03-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Now that Wendy no longer wants to run there is no reason for a poll. However if we are leaving Nominations open for for a week there may be other nominations made and then we would need a poll for an election.

Diana

lorna12
03-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Wendy, thank you. I sincerely hope you will consider taking on another role as I mentioned perhaps under exhibitions. It's not something that would need a vote, just a volunteer.

I think we should set the nomination deadline much sooner. Tomorrow would be my choice, so we can get moving on building our society. We do not need a poll for any role that only has one person nominated, they are automatically in by acclaimation.

Diana Lee
03-22-2011, 10:35 PM
I agree with Lorna, let's get moving!

Diana

Diane Cutter
03-22-2011, 11:48 PM
I second that emotion! Things will shake out and when the Board finds they need assistance then the others of us can volunteer where our skills are best suited.

Diane

lorna12
03-23-2011, 12:10 AM
It would be best if someone who were not one of the nominees be the one to make the motion to close nominations by ? and someone else not nominated to second it.

MuttHut
03-23-2011, 12:19 AM
[quote=lorna12]Wendy, thank you. I sincerely hope you will consider taking on another role as I mentioned perhaps under exhibitions. It's not something that would need a vote, just a volunteer.

Lorna: I will do that, lets just get everyone organized first and see what's left needs to be done/volunteered for. I am sure I can stick in somewhere and add my 2 cents worth.:)

Wendy

Diane Cutter
03-23-2011, 12:21 AM
I make a motion that the nominations for the Board of ISSA be closed as of now.

Diane

MuttHut
03-23-2011, 12:23 AM
It would be best if someone who were not one of the nominees be the one to make the motion to close nominations by ? and someone else not nominated to second it.

I"ll chime in here, I propose a motion to close the nominations for board members by midnight March 23,2011 PST.
Does that sound good?

Wendy

PatrickHedges
03-23-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks Diane. Can we have a non-nominated seconder please?

Great one Wendy. You would be massively helpful in many areas I'm sure.

MuttHut
03-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Thanks Diane. Can we have a non-nominated seconder please?

Great one Wendy. You would be massively helpful in many areas I'm sure.

Thanks Patrick, even if I end up being chief bottle washer, I am always willing to help somewhere it's needed.

Wendy

artofnature
03-23-2011, 01:24 AM
I wiull second the motion to close nominations by midnight tonight

PatrickHedges
03-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Thank you Lesley. Tomorrow afternoon (after midnight USA and Canada time) one of us will declare the positions filled.

Well done guys. Let's get this thing rocking!

emilycolors
03-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks Wendy. I hope I can do a very good job!

lorna12
03-23-2011, 08:16 PM
As my first official act as President of ISSA I declare the new Board and all roles nominated.
(How's that for sounding like a stuffed shirt?:lol:)

I thank you for the confidence in me and will do my very best to serve our group well.

PatrickHedges
03-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Well done Lorna.

Rodman
03-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Somebody can check this off of the list of things that need to happen. Lorna, I'd follow you off a cliff. ( but open my parachute right away ). I glad your at the helm. All those "RodMan for V.P." buttons/t-shirts/posters/ bumper stickers were not needed..... after all.

Thanks for having the confidence in me to take on this challenge ... I plan on doing my part to make this happen. Please join and stay with us.

PatrickHedges
03-24-2011, 03:22 AM
I've closed the topics in this forum that have been dealt with. The interim board will be having meetings and ironing out incorporation / membership issues and we'll use this forum to provide feedback on an ongoing basis until it's all completed (which will be a few weeks to months away).

Thanks for all your input :)