PDA

View Full Version : Discussions about handouts

Valerieart
01-30-2011, 12:25 AM
I tried it and it is blank?

Kentucky
03-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi,
I have enjoyed Johannes workshop very much and would like to get the handouts for each lesson, but when I try to print the handouts my computer gives me this message: A font contains a bad CMap/Encoding 332, and will not allow me open or print the material. I don't know what that means or how to fix the problem. I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could give me in this area.
Thanks,

SusieQ2002
03-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Unkike Kentucky above, I have no trouble with the handouts. My problem is the attachment that comes with the reminder e-mail with the photo that Johannes works from. I understand it is tiff form. For some reason my windows does not recognize this program. Is it possible to also send a link where the photo can be found on line? I am enjoying these classes so much, I really appreciate the time and effort Johannes and his team put into them.

Johannes Instructor
03-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Hi,
I have enjoyed Johannes workshop very much and would like to get the handouts for each lesson, but when I try to print the handouts my computer gives me this message: A font contains a bad CMap/Encoding 332, and will not allow me open or print the material. I don't know what that means or how to fix the problem. I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could give me in this area.
Thanks,
if this happens in all the PDF files then go here to download the adobe acrobat reader
http://get.adobe.com/reader/
It is free. If you still have problems email me and I will email you the Word DOC files.

oCDs01-711
03-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Just a thought about how I might handle your problem being challenged with technical problems!

I might by writing down exactly what my computer says.
Then go online to my computer manufacturer and chat online and ask: what does this mean? Is there anyway I can reset the type font so that it will download?

Get the technician to tell you how to do it in STEPS.
Either print the screen, or write down what he tells you.

Good luck!

sapphirelynn
03-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Robert thank you sooooo much for your wonderful notes. Much more detailed than mine so a big big thank you......hugs Lynn

Johannes Instructor
03-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Unkike Kentucky above, I have no trouble with the handouts. My problem is the attachment that comes with the reminder e-mail with the photo that Johannes works from. I understand it is tiff form. For some reason my windows does not recognize this program. Is it possible to also send a link where the photo can be found on line? I am enjoying these classes so much, I really appreciate the time and effort Johannes and his team put into them.
Send me an email and I will send you the photo.

robertsloan2
03-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Johannes, the example in the handout is beautiful. Thank you!

Lynn, thanks! So glad you're enjoying them. I'm looking forward to the photos we'll use for our homework.

lonelm
03-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Handout #12 for March 6, 2011

Apologies that this is a screenshot version however the attachments don't seem to be working here today. We will upload the PDF version of this when we can. For now at least you can see the handout material. See you all in class.

Page1
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2011/212898-Page1.jpg

Page2
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2011/212898-Page2.jpg

sue burke
03-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Was there a 'handout 11'? I can't seem to find it.

lonelm
03-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Sue on page one of this thread post #13 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13652563&postcount=13)

sue burke
03-06-2011, 01:39 PM
lonelm, thank you!

sylvia
03-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Where Are The Handouts And Photo's From Todays Class?

sylvia
03-06-2011, 05:48 PM
ok FOUND HAND OUTS BUT NOT THE PHOTO'S FOR THUMBNAILS

lonelm
03-06-2011, 05:52 PM
This is the thread for the value maps. This thread should not be used for messages it is only intended for handouts....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923782

bevanre
03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
This series of classes is wonderful!! Thank you!!!

I have missed some of the previous classes and handouts. Is there a central location where I may view all?

Johannes Instructor
03-06-2011, 07:07 PM
This series of classes is wonderful!! Thank you!!!

I have missed some of the previous classes and handouts. Is there a central location where I may view all?
They are all in this thread. Go back pages.

Obion
03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Thank you Robert, your notes are excellent to go over after Johannes class lesson and easy to understand. I have learnt so much from these lessons...

Jayne Cummins
03-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Hi - I'm writing to you from Christchurch, New Zealand. Due to the earthquake we have been without power, water and sewage for 2 weeks and so have missed your telecast. I had been watching prior and really enjoyed them. We have power on now as you can see but nothing else. Everywhere is sheer devastation, it has to be seen to be believed. Maybe you could pray for us please. We are living with constant shakes and quakes and it is so frightening.
Best wishes
Jayne

Johannes Instructor
03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Hi - I'm writing to you from Christchurch, New Zealand. Due to the earthquake we have been without power, water and sewage for 2 weeks and so have missed your telecast. I had been watching prior and really enjoyed them. We have power on now as you can see but nothing else. Everywhere is sheer devastation, it has to be seen to be believed. Maybe you could pray for us please. We are living with constant shakes and quakes and it is so frightening.
Best wishes
Jayne

I understand you more than what you think Jayne. My family and I went through the Mexico City 1985 earthquake. Fortunately I lost nothing and no one.

buddingartist
03-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Jayne, prayers and a virtual hug going your way. Hope for quick healing for all:crossfingers:

Take good care
Louise

NorthCarolinaStudent
03-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Jayne,

I wish you well. Hope you and your country gets back to "normal" soon. I've been in earthqakes in California. Never so afraid in my entire life. I don't know if this is a good idea, but perhaps you can document some scenes in a painting.

Elisabeth Cline
(North Carolina Student)

sherrysherman
03-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Even though we all feel for Jayne and may be sending prayers and good wishes her way, please remember this is the HANDOUT thread - reserved for Johannes to post handouts for the classes each week. We will lose track of what Johannes is posting if we fill it with private communications.

Jayne, you might consider posting your comment and request in the general student discussion thread. That would probably get more attention and responses too.

alimari33
03-12-2011, 01:30 PM
good afternoon, the email states we can get handout #13 here now, yet, the last one posted is 11. is there a 12 and where is #13? thank you

Johannes Instructor
03-12-2011, 01:48 PM
good afternoon, the email states we can get handout #13 here now, yet, the last one posted is 11. is there a 12 and where is #13? thank you

Handout 13 is right above your message. The rest are in previous posts. Please look thru this thread.

jmcedeno
03-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Handout number 13 for class March 12, 2011
It appears that there is a problem with the text at the end of each page, it seems that there is some paragraphs missing at the next page that follows.

junemoon
03-12-2011, 06:49 PM
It appears that handout #13 is incomplete on all of the text onyly pages.

junemoon
03-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Sorry, it's pages 1, 2 and 5 that are incomplete.

Johannes Instructor
03-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Sorry, it's pages 1, 2 and 5 that are incomplete.

It's ok. I cherry picked was was important and pertinent to the specific part of this course.

caemin
03-13-2011, 12:27 PM
It's ok. I cherry picked was was important and pertinent to the specific part of this course.

Since you didn't cite a source, it was natural to assume that this was your work and you left some of it out by accident. If it came from a book, could you share the source so we can get more indepth details if we'd like?
Thanks for the great course - I'm learning SO much!

caemin
03-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Here is handout number 14 for Sunday March 13.

Wow - this really does look like the whole course so far in a nutshell. Thanks!

robertsloan2
03-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Great handout, thank you!

artastic
03-13-2011, 01:28 PM
thank you for a wonderful course, tho I have had to miss some of it, the handouts are invaluable
I will have to miss the pastel demo today too unfortunately, but will the finished piece be posted ?

distantriver
03-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Johannes, this handout is extraordinary. Well done.

ToucanSam
03-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for doing this!!!!!

Nahant
03-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Today's handout is excellent, Johannes. And I am so ready for today's demo. Photoshop is a good teaching tool, but the demos are what works best for me. So a big THANKYOU from me!

Betty

litlbitartsy
03-13-2011, 03:21 PM
What is going on.. I can't get into the UStream thing without a password and was on the webinar but was told to get off. I'm confused and can't find any information on wetcanvas.

caemin
03-13-2011, 04:13 PM
What is going on.. I can't get into the UStream thing without a password and was on the webinar but was told to get off. I'm confused and can't find any information on wetcanvas.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wetcanvaslive use the password "pigment" without the quotes

Greatblu
03-13-2011, 04:17 PM
I still didn't get on class...I thought it's upstream, but maybe I am wrong. I did get into upstream.tv/channel/wetcanvaslive, but could find nothing about johannes class. I didn't find a place to enter the password, "pigment". Sooo, I'm missing the class today... :(

springcleaner
03-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Dear Johannes Students,
I printed out the handout for Sunday, March 13

I need to find the photo from which Johannes did the pastel painting please.

Thank you,

Liz:wave:

Banner
03-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Thank you so much Johannes for the demo unfortunately I kept loosing picture at the beginning & early part of demo however I could hear your voice.Towards the later part of the demo the picture improved & was excellent.

Banner
03-13-2011, 06:01 PM
The Handouts are great Thank :) you so much

Greatblu
03-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Thank you for the wonderfully informative class! I havn't taken workshops, or gone to art school, but am mostly self-taught and this has helped me so much. The instruction on abstract shapes and melodic lines was really an eye opener as well as the value sketches. Thank you the repitition, until we "get it!"

nougat
03-13-2011, 06:54 PM
sorry if this is the wrong thread to post in...i can't find a better place.
thanks for this fabulous art course - i am enjoying it tremendously.
today's demo however was very difficult to follow. every couple of minutes the picture would freeze and altho the audio continued normally, it was often impossible to tell what you were referring to.
i look forward to next weekend!!

Johannes Instructor
03-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Dear Johannes Students,
I printed out the handout for Sunday, March 13

I need to find the photo from which Johannes did the pastel painting please.

Thank you,

Liz:wave: \
It's in the Johannes-Student Discussion thread page 6

Johannes Instructor
03-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Since you didn't cite a source, it was natural to assume that this was your work and you left some of it out by accident. If it came from a book, could you share the source so we can get more indepth details if we'd like?

The book is "Eye of the Painter"

Dagmartist
03-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Best wishes
Jayne

Jayne; I have been to Christchurch and found it so beautiful and was saddened to see what happened in the news! I too experienced several earthquakes growing up in San Francisco and now in Sebastopol, California but was fortunate to never be in the worst of it. I am so sorry that it was so bad for you and wish you well and everyone in Christchurch!
Dolores

caemin
03-13-2011, 09:23 PM
The book is "Eye of the Painter"
Thanks! I'll keep my eye out for a used copy. The prices on the copies I can find run from $284-$808! Quite the pricey book!

Analia
03-13-2011, 09:45 PM
It seems to be out of print. You can read and download it here for free: http://es.scribd.com/doc/501788/Andrew-Loomis-Eye-Of-The-Painter :)

caemin
03-13-2011, 10:02 PM
It seems to be out of print. You can read and download it here for free: http://es.scribd.com/doc/501788/Andrew-Loomis-Eye-Of-The-Painter :) Thanks Analia! That site was in Spanish, but I found this site http://escapefromillustrationisland.com/2010/01/07/free-andrew-loomis-art-intstruction-downloads/ that has 6 of Andrew Loomis' books available for free download.

typerighter
03-13-2011, 10:05 PM
???was There Any Kind Of An Assignment For Next Sat??? My System Froze Right At The End So I Didn't Get To See The Finished Picture And Wasn't Able To Log Back In, Aarrgghh!!!

Johannes Instructor
03-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks Analia! That site was in Spanish, but I found this site http://escapefromillustrationisland.com/2010/01/07/free-andrew-loomis-art-intstruction-downloads/ that has 6 of Andrew Loomis' books available for free download.
I am seeing that on that website they mention they are public domain which means you can download them and does nnot constitute copyright violation.

allydoodle
03-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks Analia! That site was in Spanish, but I found this site http://escapefromillustrationisland.com/2010/01/07/free-andrew-loomis-art-intstruction-downloads/ that has 6 of Andrew Loomis' books available for free download.

Even though the site is in Spanish, the book is in English.

northbank
03-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Most excellent...thanks for the links.

*Deirdre*
03-14-2011, 07:53 AM

William Andrew Loomis (18921959), better known simply as Andrew Loomis, was an American illustrator, author, and art instructor. His commercial work was featured prominently in advertising and magazines; however, Loomis is best known as author a series of instructional art books printed throughout the 20th century. Long after his death, Loomis' realistic style has continued to influence popular artists. (Wikipedia)
Andrew Loomis - Eye of the painter - most of his books ran out of copyright before his family could claim them. They are available to download free (http://www.placidchaos.com/AM/index.php/2006/02/21/andrew_loomis)from various sites.

Analia
03-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Hello! as Allydoodle says, that is the Scribd site in spanish (I use it cause it's my mother language), but the book is in english, that's why I linked it for you, Caemin. Anyway, the thing is you get it somehow. Besides, I'd like to tell all of you that worldly acclaimed (?) Robert Sloan's notes on Johannes course are available there in my Scribd's profile, Analia6960, as I'm uploading them after Robert's permission.
Now I leave before they tell me this is the handouts thread... :)

Rosemarie
03-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Hello! as Allydoodle says, that is the Scribd site in spanish (I use it cause it's my mother language), but the book is in english, that's why I linked it for you, Caemin.
You have to be registered in facebook to have access to the site.

The other site that was given you don't have to be in facebook for.

flowergram
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
???was There Any Kind Of An Assignment For Next Sat??? My System Froze Right At The End So I Didn't Get To See The Finished Picture And Wasn't Able To Log Back In, Aarrgghh!!!

Johannes will post 10 pictures with instructons for you to chose from in the main forum, probably sometime today (Mon).

tuscanni
03-14-2011, 02:32 PM
trying to delete this post...my apologizes for posting in the handout forum

waterlily13
03-14-2011, 05:43 PM
This course and I do put it in the category of the finest of courses, has taught
me more than all my college courses (back when). You are a great teacher because you know that repetition is the best teacher. I think values, intensity
hue, temperature all the way through my creative process now.

thank you
never to old to learn new tricks, you gave us many

springcleaner
03-15-2011, 01:22 AM
Johannes will post 10 pictures with instructons for you to chose from in the main forum, probably sometime today (Mon).

It is now 12:20a.m. central daylight time in U.S. Has Johannes posted any
photos yet to paint for next weekend? If so can someone direct me to the correct site?
:wave:

flowergram
03-15-2011, 06:42 AM
It is now 12:20a.m. central daylight time in U.S. Has Johannes posted any
photos yet to paint for next weekend? If so can someone direct me to the correct site?
:wave:

This is the main forum page, you should bookmark it and check frequently, new topics will be posted there. The thread you are looking for is titled Refrence Photos for Homework. Bookmark that as well and post your painting or questions there.

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522

springcleaner
03-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Thank you flowergram for directing me to the site for the photos to paint.

Also thank you for the information on how to get my painting to Johannes.

Still very new at computer savviness, and I find the wet canvas site pretty messy.

:thumbsup:

flowergram
03-15-2011, 04:39 PM
You're very welcome. Here is a link to the main page, you should add it to your bookmarks and check frequently for new topics: there is also a thread there called "ask gina", if you have any other questions I'll be sure to see it there. This particular site is a bit messy, there is usually a moderator with the ability to move posts and organize things but this is the Woodstock of painting instruction, an unanticipated "happening", but I am sure things will work out fine. There is a lot of good help here.

Gina

animalhealer
03-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Johannes, I love your classes, have not missed one but am always trying to find handouts and Robert's current notes. (the ones I have are wonderful)
Couldn't this all be made easier? I have a headache every weekend.

Johannes Instructor
03-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Johannes, I love your classes, have not missed one but am always trying to find handouts and Robert's current notes. (the ones I have are wonderful)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875402
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872822

flowergram
03-18-2011, 09:28 PM

Again, here is the main thread, all the topics are on that page. Bookmark it in your browser so you can find it readily, more topics (ie: this weeks homework) will be added to that page.

Gina

birdwatcher
03-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I am looking forward to the class today. How do I post my paintings for you to see?
Thank You,
Birdwatcher

sbaasman
03-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I am looking forward to to-day's class. Can you send me the handout link for today's class?
Much appreciated.
Susan
Sorry I found it. Didn't look hard enough.

Silverlark
03-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Looking forward to doing homework after I get done with taxes! :^)

caemin
03-20-2011, 01:18 PM
:thumbsup:I have tidied up this thread (I moved discussions to another thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925811))

This thread is ONLY for Johannes to post Handouts in.

If your name is not Johannes, do NOT post in this thread!

Dave Thank you, Dave :clap::thumbsup::clap::thumbsup::clap::thumbsup: !!

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 01:33 PM
I have tidied up this thread [the Handouts thread] (I moved discussions to another thread [this thread we're in now])

[The Handouts] thread is ONLY for Johannes to post Handouts in.

If your name is not Johannes, do NOT post in [the Handouts] thread!

Dave
Yay! :thumbsup:

Dave, you're hired!!

A lot of people will be thrilled at the CLEAN Handouts thread! (Of course, THIS thread is now filled with all kinds of stuff. But that's okay. We'll take what we can get. :D Step at a time, right?)

diena
03-20-2011, 01:38 PM
LOve it!!!!!!

Colorix
03-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Great, this will make it easier to find the handouts. (Where I live, Johannes is a fairly common name... :-)

For the Sunday March 20 handout, I'd like to say that there *are* ways to get crisp edges with pastels (at least 5 ways), and blunt sticks can be sharpened to a point with sandpaper, pastel pencils can handle details. The Pastel forum is packed with good info. Pastellists are an innovative crowd, and love to share tips and tricks.

Patricia Ann
03-20-2011, 02:32 PM
I wish I could see something besides a black screen. This is the third time you have painted and I still cannot get your web site ustream.tv/channel/wetcanvaslive to work for me. Wish I knew what to do. I have attended every meeting but really don't know why I cannot see you. I have broadband. I can see other videos fine. Any suggestions you can give me would be appreciated.

Colorix
03-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Patricia Ann, do you get the request for the password when the ustream window opens, after clicking the link in the email? Then it shows a black screen again, asking for password again. After that, all should be fine. If not, you may have to check the security settings of your computer. Sorry, can't help with that. Hope you get in.

SusieQ2002
03-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Johannes, Could you please include a jpeg version of photographs when painting from them? My windows won't open tiff and I'm not computer savy when it comes to working it out. I hope this will not be too much trouble. Thanks

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Great, this will make it easier to find the handouts. (Where I live, Johannes is a fairly common name... :-)

For the Sunday March 20 handout, I'd like to say that there *are* ways to get crisp edges with pastels (at least 5 ways), and blunt sticks can be sharpened to a point with sandpaper, pastel pencils can handle details. The Pastel forum is packed with good info. Pastellists are an innovative crowd, and love to share tips and tricks.
In reference to your comment on, "there are ways to create crisp edges". Take into account that in the handout I mentioned "blunt pastels" as making details and crisp edges being harder. Pastel pencils of course will help get the details.

claude j greengrass
03-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Is it just me, or does the text in Handout 13 contain some partial truncations? Here are two examples:

I find that the end of page 1 and the start of page 2 don't match. "The tendency to see only tiling or aspect of a scene at a time is something we must educate... ...tone, without regard to the real edge, or what the tone is doing, or what the relationship is to other tones."

The end of page 5 column 2 seems to have a partial sentence that never gets completed. "If there is..."

originally posted here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13703300&postcount=431) on the "Student Question, Answer thread".

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Is it just me, or does the text in Handout 13 contain some partial truncations? Here are two examples:

I find that the end of page 1 and the start of page 2 don't match. "The tendency to see only tiling or aspect of a scene at a time is something we must educate... ...tone, without regard to the real edge, or what the tone is doing, or what the relationship is to other tones."

The end of page 5 column 2 seems to have a partial sentence that never gets completed. "If there is..."

originally posted here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13703300&postcount=431) on the "Student Question, Answer thread".
Its ok I eliminated some unnecessary things.

pjreads
03-27-2011, 10:08 PM
A couple of questions about Handout #18:

Projected shadows on grass are an option.

What are "projected" shadows?

Handout #18 ends with ... More notes: ... with nothing following after.
Is this intentional?

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2011, 10:09 PM
A couple of questions about Handout #18:

What are "projected" shadows?

Handout #18 ends with ... ... with nothing following after.
Is this intentional?
Cast shadows such as when a tree blocks the sun.

IdahoHat
04-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Last Saturday was my first time on the webcasts and was so excited to see Johannes refer and recommend Katherine Gill's book. I attended one of her plein air workshops last year and learned so very much. I went back and printed out all the handouts and am ready for today. Yeaa and thanks.

baylone
04-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Could you please post a handout of the Do's and Don't's with images from the Week 10 Class #19 webinar? I thought you gave some wonderful tips for improving the landscape painting. Thank you so much.

Johannes Instructor
04-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Could you please post a handout of the Do's and Don't's with images from the Week 10 Class #19 webinar? I thought you gave some wonderful tips for improving the landscape painting. Thank you so much.
All those images you saw are property of F&W Media. When they put them up on their website you can download them.

KenBratto
06-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Am posting because WC says I have not posted 'recently' ...