PDA

View Full Version : Webinar videos

flowergram
03-20-2011, 10:47 AM
I have given it some carefull thought. (EDITED)

Yorky
03-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Sarah has been off ill of late, no doubt she will be in touch soon.

Spamming F+W is not the way to get a positive response.

This is Partner Forum so is not the responsibility of the moderator team.

Doug

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Sorry Sherry, I am not familiar with the webinar setup.

Doug
Not a surprise, Yorky. It's a big company, a lot of divisions, employees, contractors, and, I would guess, subsidiary companies with even more divisions, etc. I'd guess Johannes is the best place to find contacts and their contact info. (Johannes, who ARE you talking with?)

(Say, do you go by Yorky or Doug? I only ever heard you referred to as Yorky. As I recall, you helped me finally get off moderated status when I was in limbo early this year. Paula Ford asked you to help and you did. Thank you again for that!)

Yorky
03-20-2011, 12:15 PM
LOL I'm proud to be a Yorkshireman, but my wife calls me Doug (on a good day :) )

Doug

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 12:16 PM
LOL I'm proud to be a Yorkshireman, but my wife calls me Doug (on a good day :) )

Doug
And on a bad day? :eek:

(Never mind.)

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 12:21 PM
To everyone Sherry. I just felt it was important that you all know I am complying with everything.

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 12:29 PM
To everyone Sherry. I just felt it was important that you all know I am complying with everything.
Yes, it's good to let us know but I don't think any of us had any doubts about your end of it, Johannes. I for one am confident you are spending more time and effort on this than you ever could have predicted. :) I'm sorry that the masses (that would be us) are not able to benefit from all the hard recording and editing work you are doing. And even sorrier for those who have missed classes and want to catch up - I know a few myself, and they are frustrated that they can't get the recordings yet.

What I thought was that perhaps you could convey who you are working with at F&W -- that person might have some influence over the process. Or that person might know someone who knows someone, etc. until the RIGHT person is reached.

Even if F&W is following the "normal" process for getting a recording out to the public, I would think that this set of classes, since it is ongoing, might need a different protocol.

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Believe me I have not left one stone unturned with these matters. I believe this online teaching method is a gold mine. This is enabling 1000's of artists to finally put the puzzle pieces together. This is for the time being and as far as I know the world's only live online teaching system and I can proudly say I have 1000's of students. How many out of our group would believe me if I said that? LOL

norskgal
03-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I emailed fwmedia customer service on 2/6 when I realized that I would not be able to attend all of the classes live. I asked for clarification re: availability dates and bundled price info. A polite, typical customer service response of; "thank you for your interest. we are evaluating ... " I responded with a request to keep the editing to a minimum. As students we need, repeat ... repeat ... repeat via multiple examples. Johannes is the master of this teaching method. I did not get a reply to this email.

I was able to attend yesterday's webinar ... but today I cannot. It would be wonderful to have these available in a timely manner. It is easy to lose momentum.

I am retired from a business/marketing background. I suspect that they are caught up in a loop of marketing and revenue analysis by sales and bean counters. Remember the old adage; "A camel is a horse designed by a committee." They are certainly missing present day sales; but more than likely believe that they have us on the hook for later. (And the $9.99 price is a exceptional price for 4+ hours of solid instruction. Hope they realize that they are planting seeds in their business garden that will produce mucho future crops of sales.

sundiver
03-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Sarah (sallspaw) is the moderator of WCLive but has the flu, I think.
And as an employee of F&W she has lots of other duties as well.

They (and we all) are dealing with a whole new entity here with the webinars.

The other WC forums are a free sharing of advice and development, and volunteer moderators and guides are asked to become so after contributing to their forums for some time in ways that indicate they would be suited to the job. Many were on the volunteer staff before F&W acquired WetCanvas.
It was a huge change having WC owned by a big publishing company instead of by one individual.

WCLive is a for-profit forum run by F&W with paid instructors (through commissions on books and webinar recordings). It is also quite different from other Partner forums in that it is so interactive. It will eventually find its own home in WC, apart from the Landscapes Forum.
Being a brand new concept it can be assumed there is still a lot of learning-as-you-go to do with the webinars and the WCLive forum. Hopefully things will all get straightened out before too long.
We are all looking forward to that!

In the meantime, the instructions and thread titles here are pretty clear. There's no need for chaos if only the posters would read the instructions and post in the appropriate threads. :crossfingers: That too should straighten itself out as newbies become used to how things work.

Dana Design
03-20-2011, 02:08 PM
As the webinars are new to F+W, there is a learning curve to be expected. Perhaps all of the new members could exhibit a bit of patience with them as we all become accustomed to this new series.

I second Doug's advice that spamming the various F+W employees will not further efforts for a positive response.

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 02:18 PM
In the meantime, the instructions and thread titles here are pretty clear. There's no need for chaos if only the posters would read the instructions and post in the appropriate threads. :crossfingers: That too should straighten itself out as newbies become used to how things work.
LOL! "no need for chaos" indeed! Isn't it a fact that entropy increases in the universe? didn't I learn that in physics or something?

Thanks for your response about both the site and the recordings, Wendy. I think that a lot of people are just frustrated, especially since we/they understood that the goal (at least initially) was to have these recordings out fast so you could keep up with each class.

I guess that what we're experiencing is a sign of the success of this venture, huh?

gilja
03-20-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm wondering if some of the confusion about logging in is created because we receive an e-mail from Wet Canvas to join the Webinar and it goes to gotomeeting and we receive another from Johannes that we should go US Stream. The one today said to go to gotomeeting and then we would all change to US Stream. It does get confusing.

I have tried to change to full screen, which I did in Firefox, but I couldn't find the button to hide the conversations on the right side in the US Stream window. They are distracting to me. I have even put a piece of paper over them so I couldn't see them. Could you give a better description of where the shut off button is? Thanks.

These classes have been so informative. I do have an art degree but was never given this kind of instruction. I'm definitely planning on my artwork changing for the better!
Thanks so much.

bluemoonstar
03-20-2011, 06:44 PM
just providing feedback from a users' standpoint:
The webinar sessions seem to go fairly smoothly, have enjoyed the classes I've been able to attend so far. But the US Stream site used for the demo today was a nightmare of problems. The main site kept freezing, had to go back & log in over & over. Then wait for the ad before rejoining, within 60 seconds got either got audio only or nothing at all. If I commented, the whole site would go to a log-in page, and would have to redo the whole procedure over again. From reading comments, it was obvious there were hundreds of others also having difficulty with that site. Is it possible to keep the classes on webinar? Thank you.

julm
03-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Totally agree with Pat (bluemoonstar) above. I'm in Florida. Joan

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
I think I know why some of you had problems today with video. I bet some people in your house were sharing the internet. If anyone was downloading songs or music that would definitely slow down your streaming video. Next time make sure no one in your house is using the internet while you are watching ustream.

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 07:06 PM
just providing feedback from a users' standpoint:
The webinar sessions seem to go fairly smoothly, have enjoyed the classes I've been able to attend so far. But the US Stream site used for the demo today was a nightmare of problems. The main site kept freezing, had to go back & log in over & over. Then wait for the ad before rejoining, within 60 seconds got either got audio only or nothing at all. If I commented, the whole site would go to a log-in page, and would have to redo the whole procedure over again. From reading comments, it was obvious there were hundreds of others also having difficulty with that site. Is it possible to keep the classes on webinar? Thank you.
Same experience here.

Don't know if he can show demos on the Webinar. The way GoToWebinar works is that we see Johannes's computer screen. So we can see when he's working in Photoshop, Powerpoint, email, whatever is up on his screen. He'd have to integrate the video into his computer screen directly. Maybe, if he hooked his camera so it's a direct feed to his computer? That would be a question for the GoTo people.

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Same experience here.

Don't know if he can show demos on the Webinar. The way GoToWebinar works is that we see Johannes's computer screen. So we can see when he's working in Photoshop, Powerpoint, email, whatever is up on his screen. He'd have to integrate the video into his computer screen directly. Maybe, if he hooked his camera so it's a direct feed to his computer? That would be a question for the GoTo people.
I tried that it doesn't stream. Maybe they have improved this though. I could try again.

musika
03-20-2011, 07:20 PM
I have tried to change to full screen, which I did in Firefox, but I couldn't find the button to hide the conversations on the right side in the US Stream window. They are distracting to me. I have even put a piece of paper over them so I couldn't see them. Could you give a better description of where the shut off button is? Thanks.

If you look at the bottom right-hand corner of the Ustream video window, you will see a black rectangle with brackets on the corners (next to the volume control) - clicking this will give you full-screen video.

You can press <ESC> to go back.

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 07:21 PM
I tried that it doesn't stream. Maybe they have improved this though. I could try again.
Too bad. I doubt it's improved in the few short weeks you've been doing this.

mcbru
03-20-2011, 07:23 PM
As the webinars are new to F+W, there is a learning curve to be expected. Perhaps all of the new members could exhibit a bit of patience with them as we all become accustomed to this new series.

I second Doug's advice that spamming the various F+W employees will not further efforts for a positive response.

Without a doubt I agree with this advice. I also have another. PLEASE to all of those complaining on line, having trouble with ustream, website changes, etc. ; Exhaust all of your end user problems, first. Try some searches, new programs, maybe a new computer, anything and everything. I have been with Johannes' group of merry learners since December and would describe the problems as minimal. Sure, some lag, some delays, even some drops in the demos but not serious, just part of the gig. I believe that until the worth is proven regarding this forum, F & W will only tolerate so much before pulling the plug. Educationally, the worth is mindboggling, but many incredible ventures have failed due to the people issues. Patience is the key..F & W knows what the issues are, give them an opportunity to succeed before you grab the crosses to nail them too.

Eddypus1
03-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Without a doubt I agree with this advice. I also have another. PLEASE to all of those complaining on line, having trouble with ustream, website changes, etc. ; Exhaust all of your end user problems, first. Try some searches, new programs, maybe a new computer, anything and everything. I have been with Johannes' group of merry learners since December and would describe the problems as minimal. Sure, some lag, some delays, even some drops in the demos but not serious, just part of the gig. I believe that until the worth is proven regarding this forum, F & W will only tolerate so much before pulling the plug. Educationally, the worth is mindboggling, but many incredible ventures have failed due to the people issues. Patience is the key..F & W knows what the issues are, give them an opportunity to succeed before you grab the crosses to nail them too.
I have to agree. I have not had any problems with the webinar or the demos. The lessons are too good to have little annoyances keep anyone away.

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Well, I've had "some lag, some delays, some drops in the demos" in the past, but this was way beyond that. Really. Long periods of time of NO sound, NO picture. Then a few seconds of one OR the other, then nothing again. So today did not have any real value to me. The problems TODAY were not "minimal" for those who experienced it. (Otoh, it's no worse than having another commitment and therefore missing it entirely, and certainly that happens all the time, even to committed students. In part, it's the sense of helplessness that leads to such frustration. And the waste of time.)

But John, that's not saying the course AS A WHOLE does not have value. It is, as you say, mindboggling. And I've said this elsewhere, no one holds Johannes or F&W responsible for ustream issues. Technology ain't all we sometimes want it to be. :(

I would not want to stress out F&W with spam, that's true. I think that as a whole, this course has brought many new people to WC and to Northlight, and that's good for the company. I also think it doesn't HURT F&W that the video today was "wonderful" (by all reports) but missed by a lot of people. Makes it one of the "must haves," right? :)

mcbru
03-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Well, I've had "some lag, some delays, some drops in the demos" in the past, but this was way beyond that. Really. Long periods of time of NO sound, NO picture. Then a few seconds of one OR the other, then nothing again. So today did not have any real value to me. The problems TODAY were not "minimal" for those who experienced it. (Otoh, it's no worse than having another commitment and therefore missing it entirely, and certainly that happens all the time, even to committed students. In part, it's the sense of helplessness that leads to such frustration. And the waste of time.)

But John, that's not saying the course AS A WHOLE does not have value. It is, as you say, mindboggling. And I've said this elsewhere, no one holds Johannes or F&W responsible for ustream issues. Technology ain't all we sometimes want it to be. :(

I would not want to stress out F&W with spam, that's true. I think that as a whole, this course has brought many new people to WC and to Northlight, and that's good for the company. I also think it doesn't HURT F&W that the video today was "wonderful" (by all reports) but missed by a lot of people. Makes it one of the "must haves," right? :)

so it's a conspiracy really!!! c'mon This is art! No ones life is on the line. This is happiness, fulfillment, not life and death. I paint because I love it, if it costs I'm OK but I really don't believe their out to get me....That's the Republicans. LOL

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 09:54 PM
so it's a conspiracy really!!! c'mon This is art! No ones life is on the line. This is happiness, fulfillment, not life and death. I paint because I love it, if it costs I'm OK but I really don't believe their out to get me....That's the Republicans. LOL
LOL about your last point, but ... good heavens, John! WHERE did you get the idea it's a conspiracy???

I certainly did not imply it, it never entered my mind, until you said this and I went back to try to figure out where the conspiracy concept came from.

You said that F&W might "pull the plug" if it got to be too much, as though the complaints about ustream might CAUSE them to "pull the plug." I suggested another way to look at it -- that it does NOT in fact hurt F&W that many people missed a great webinar. I stand by that statement. If I say "it doesn't hurt the crops that it's raining so much," that hardly implies a conspiracy.

Sheesh.

mcbru
03-20-2011, 10:22 PM
LOL about your last point, but ... good heavens, John! WHERE did you get the idea it's a conspiracy???

I certainly did not imply it, it never entered my mind, until you said this and I went back to try to figure out where the conspiracy concept came from.

You said that F&W might "pull the plug" if it got to be too much, as though the complaints about ustream might CAUSE them to "pull the plug." I suggested another way to look at it -- that it does NOT in fact hurt F&W that many people missed a great webinar. I stand by that statement. If I say "it doesn't hurt the crops that it's raining so much," that hardly implies a conspiracy.

Sheesh.

HeHe. OK, OK. I have my views, you yours. I stand by my statement also. It's art, and if the devil (or F&W depending on how you view things) wants me to pay, I will. I don't care about money, I care about being fulfilled. But, I admire the crops reference, horticulturist you know..:angel:

bluemoonstar
03-20-2011, 10:24 PM
I think I know why some of you had problems today with video. I bet some people in your house were sharing the internet. If anyone was downloading songs or music that would definitely slow down your streaming video. Next time make sure no one in your house is using the internet while you are watching ustream.
Nope, no one else online, its not a shared computer, in fact, its a new mac only a few months old and ALL the software is up to date.

It was disappointing because I am learning a lot from these classes, and could tell others also had more than just "little inconveniences." But I truly appreciate all the hard work by everyone to make these available. Technology is not perfect, for sure, which is why I asked about keeping the class presentations thru webinar, as it seems to work better for more people. Perhaps there is a better alternative out there than the ustream for live demos?

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 10:27 PM
But, I admire the crops reference, horticulturist you know..:angel:
No! Seriously?? What a stitch, I had so many ways I could have expressed that point. And yet I chose crops. Clearly there's a conspiracy afoot.

caemin
03-20-2011, 10:29 PM
I think I know why some of you had problems today with video. I bet some people in your house were sharing the internet. If anyone was downloading songs or music that would definitely slow down your streaming video. Next time make sure no one in your house is using the internet while you are watching ustream. Nope - I live alone and have a fast DSL connection. I tried on a windows laptop and an iMac, I tried Firefox, IE and Safari. Same issue on all computers and browsers. Tried streaming from other sites - no problem at all. Went back to ustream for your demo - same problems - video freezes for 15-45 seconds at a time, audio drops out for long periods of time, sometimes one would work fine and the other not, sometimes neither one worked. Funny though - the chat never slowed down much at all - it was zooming right on by with nary a chance to even read it. Maybe that's what was slowing things down for so many of us? Anyway, I finally gave up. Too bad - I've been there for every class and this one looked to be a good one, but it was too frustrating to stay with it. Better luck next week, I hope!

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 10:30 PM
... Clearly there's a conspiracy afoot.
And if you say you're also a podiatrist, I will KNOW sumpin's goin' on.

norskgal
03-20-2011, 10:38 PM
When I emailed FWmedia, I did it through their ArtistNetwork website customer service link. It is my understanding that they will be the ones selling the videos of past classes. I consider my inquiry to be customer service relating stating I wanted to buy something from them. And it was courteously and professionally worded. So I do not consider this to be spamming FWmedia. Or should I consider their emails to me soliciting purchases by me spam?

So how can it hurt if we let them know they have customers with $$$ waiting to spend with them? So far most of the comments about the availability have been random WC posts. Maybe if they see how many of the 3,000+ are serious customers, it might be useful ... and we will have a win, win outcome.

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 10:46 PM
When I emailed FWmedia, I did it through their ArtistNetwork website customer service link. It is my understanding that they will be the ones selling the videos of past classes. I consider my inquiry to be customer service relating stating I wanted to buy something from them. And it was courteously and professionally worded. So I do not consider this to be spamming FWmedia. Or should I consider their emails to me soliciting purchases by me spam?

So how can it hurt if we let them know they have customers with $$$ waiting to spend with them? So far most of the comments about the availability have been random WC posts. Maybe if they see how many of the 3,000+ are serious customers, it might be useful ... and we will have a win, win outcome.
Sending an email inquiring when something might be available and expressing extreme interest in purchasing is not, in my opinion, spam. (I would not be surprised if Northlight has received numerous calls and emails asking when the Carlson book will be available -- it's now on backorder; I'm guessing this group is a big part of that. :) )

Sending emails to an F&W employee having no responsibility for this kind of sale complaining about the delay and telling them how to run their business might, IMO, be considered unwelcome spam.

It's a matter of what's reasonable.

FLNH
03-20-2011, 10:58 PM
I have been watching Johannes since this Fall and have had absolutely no technical problems until today. I have a new state of the art pc, a very fast Internet connection and no one else was at home and I was not using the computer for anything except the demo. I had severe problems with the stream locking, losing sound, etc. The problems were so severe that I had to stop viewing. This is not a "whine," just feedback that not all of the problems were user errors.

I truly appreciate the efforts Johannes has made these many weeks.

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 11:48 PM
I did some research to see why some had problems and for others it worked like a charm

http://helpcenter.ustream.tv/category/tags/viewing
The quality of a broadcast depends on many factors, including the type of equipment used, the stability of the internet connection, the upload speed, etc. These factors are all up to the broadcaster, and not Ustream. A majority of problems experienced are based on low bandwidth or local internet issues, which unfortunately Ustream cannot control.
However choppy video did not come from me because many others were totally trouble free.

Jittery Video | Flash Player Hardware Acceleration Issues
Problem: Video playback is jittering back and forth.
Reason: Flash Player Hardware Acceleration has kicked in to assist with video decoding and your video card is incompatible. Most problematic are Nvidia graphics cards installed in Macbook laptops from 2009-2010.
Solution: Disable Flash Player Hardware Acceleration - Right click on the video and select Settings... click the far left 'Display' tab and uncheck Enable Hardware Acceleration. Close the Flash Player settings and refresh your page.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/C7YUs95jdQk

They recommend you get the latest version of your browser. Delete all cookies

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 11:50 PM
I need to know something. Did any of you have a non stop streaming video all the time with not lag?

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 11:59 PM
I did some research to see why some had problems and for others it worked like a charm

The quality of a broadcast depends on many factors, including the type of equipment used, the stability of the internet connection, the upload speed, etc. These factors are all up to the broadcaster, and not Ustream. A majority of problems experienced are based on low bandwidth or local internet issues, which unfortunately Ustream cannot control.
However choppy video did not come from me because many others were totally trouble free.

Reason: Flash Player Hardware Acceleration has kicked in to assist with video decoding and your video card is incompatible. Most problematic are Nvidia graphics cards installed in Macbook laptops from 2009-2010.
Solution: Disable Flash Player Hardware Acceleration - Right click on the video and select Settings... click the far left 'Display' tab and uncheck Enable Hardware Acceleration. Close the Flash Player settings and refresh your page.

Johannes, I can't believe you actually took the time to research this. Yes, my Mac fits into those years and has an Nvidia graphic card. However, "jittery" is not the word I would use to describe playback on my machine. "Mostly nonexistent" is how I would describe it.

But who knows, maybe this fix would work. Who woulda thunk it took something like disabling the Flash Player hardware acceleration-- I don't even know what that means, but it sounds counter-intuitive.

Your concern about this is one more reason we all love you, Joe. Whether or not this is the answer. :)

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Johannes, I can't believe you actually took the time to research this. Yes, my Mac fits into those years and has an Nvidia graphic card. However, "jittery" is not the word I would use to describe playback on my machine. "Mostly nonexistent" is how I would describe it.

But who knows, maybe this fix would work. Who woulda thunk it took something like disabling the Flash Player hardware acceleration-- I don't even know what that means, but it sounds counter-intuitive.

Your concern about this is one more reason we all love you, Joe. Whether or not this is the answer. :)

I am doing my best Sherry. I need one of you to tell me you had no lag or breaking during the video demo today to see if I need to tweak settings.

sherrysherman
03-21-2011, 12:15 AM
I am doing my best Sherry. I need one of you to tell me you had no lag or breaking during the video demo today to see if I need to tweak settings.
Sheesh, Johannes, go to bed already! Isn't it past midnight? I'm two hours west of you and I'm starting to think it's getting late.

You should get some responses tomorrow. I've seen some people say they had good streams. (they also said it was a great demo today, by the way.)

Pinklady219
03-21-2011, 12:29 AM
:wave: Let me jump in here and say that I had no interruptions today. A couple times the audio "burped" in the beginning and then cleared up, but that has happened in the past also. The output was clear and the audio was fine.
I am sorry for the people who did have problems. I had some in the very beginning of this course and it was very frustrating. I was exhausted trying to find ways to get in on the action. hahha
Perhaps it is the steady
input from the chat that is bogging things down. It could also be the ads. If one registers with UStream, perhaps your ads will stop and therefore clear your reception. (just a guess people) My ads ceased to occur upon registering.
Good luck and please calm down artists. It is messing up our Feng Shui and who needs that--after dealing with lost and found or hit and miss??? ;)

carol_lee
03-21-2011, 01:42 AM

None of these describe my system.... we have recently upgraded our bandwidth... up till now have had no problems....I keep up my flash updates... also I was the only computer on and it was late at night here...after the watercolor demo and there was talk about browsers I changed to chrome from Firefox,,hardly ever use IE, can't say it was much of an improvement.
I did notice there where more then 1000 attendees...I don't know the statistics but it seems more had problems then those that didn't.... I left before it ended, which was close to midnight...[4edt] Johannes thanks for all your efforts!!! :thumbsup: :heart:

PS..Any homework for this week!!!

Rosemarie
03-21-2011, 02:11 AM

Do you really think the Nvida card would be the problem? Didn't you have good streaming before this last class? More likely it is a or several servers that are not working as they should while we are in class. Servers that none of us or U-stream have any control of.

bjornjo
03-21-2011, 05:21 AM
maybe johannes can tell what setting he uses. if he have very high bitrate of video and you have an older computer which cant play the ustream codec that is used. lets say johannes used a 500 kbps stream then all those who had lower bandwith than 10 Mb/s get a bad stream. for me it worked perfectley all the time but i had problems with my headphones so i lost some audio therefore
http://speedtest.net

Test your connection to San Jose, CA. Your upload speed is what matters. Once you know your upload speed, select the quality level in Ustream Producer that is about 60% LOWER than your average upload speed. This should give your broadcast enough breathing room to function without dropped frames, lag and disconnects.

those who did not get any video does ustream work today?

how many out of the 1060 was it that really had problem. and about whining when we have tried to help as good as we can you ofc get frustrated because you cant get it to work but we cant really do more which im sorry and especially johannes but we want to be able to ask questions which would had benefitted you all in the end because they would had been posted to the forum. and for those that it was working for and said bad things it wont make them calm down more

about streaming i would be very suprised if you dident loose some sound or some video since your computer dont tell the other computer hey i dident recive that(without streaming you would need alost faster uploading to confirm evrything got reached). my knowledge of ustream and their technology is not better so right now i cant be off further assisting

the lags that you experience with citrix and the webinars those in most places depend on your computer not the bandwidth because it use very low bandwidth. the audio on the other hand is streamed so i does not get delayed

raxu
03-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Wonderful class yesterday - everything run smoothly and I sat in front of my laptop like a sponge, loading my mind with all those golden nuggets.
The only break was at the very end of the watercolor part; suddenly the program went offline and people started writing in the chatbox like in panic... finally I needed to register once more until I was back again, in the acrylics part.

Johannes, I must say I don't only admire your artistic and teching skills, but also your nervs - you seem to be able to keep cool no matter what happens (I said SEEM, I know you must be boiling inside...). Greatful for your efforts, keep up the good work!

Colorix
03-21-2011, 07:53 AM
It got better when:
- all other browser windows were closed
- all other programs running were closed
- other person on other computer stopped watching their streaming audi-video

And, it *really* got stable when Johannes asked people to not complain in the chat. As soon as the comments lessened to relevant questions only, sound and image got stable. Might be a coincidence, so I wonder if anyone else had that experience? Wouldn't it be ironic if the trouble was caused by the complaints...

At least, I could then keep the chat window open without getting seasick from it scrolling at warp-speed.

LadyMadonna
03-21-2011, 08:06 AM
I will add my two cents for what is worth..probably two cents. I have a Mac Book Pro ( all updated ) .. I found that when The chat system was on that I have video problems. I rebooted and accessed the video without entering that chat. That in itself seemed to be the problem for me and I was able to see the entire demo in large screen. When it comes to chat or Johannes, I choose Johannes every time !

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 08:10 AM
I will add my two cents for what is worth..probably two cents. I have a Mac Book Pro ( all updated ) .. I found that when The chat system was on that I have video problems. I rebooted and accessed the video without entering that chat. That in itself seemed to be the problem for me and I was able to see the entire demo in large screen. When it comes to chat or Johannes, I choose Johannes every time !
Now that is interesting. Tell me was the video streaming non jerky once you closed the chat?

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 08:12 AM
It got better when:
- all other browser windows were closed
- all other programs running were closed
- other person on other computer stopped watching their streaming audi-video

And, it *really* got stable when Johannes asked people to not complain in the chat. As soon as the comments lessened to relevant questions only, sound and image got stable. Might be a coincidence, so I wonder if anyone else had that experience? Wouldn't it be ironic if the trouble was caused by the complaints...

At least, I could then keep the chat window open without getting seasick from it scrolling at warp-speed.
I think we put our finger on something now. The chat seems to be slowing it down. That is great news because we can just use another chat program. We don't need ustream chat.

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Wonderful class yesterday - everything run smoothly and I sat in front of my laptop like a sponge, loading my mind with all those golden nuggets.
The only break was at the very end of the watercolor part; suddenly the program went offline and people started writing in the chatbox like in panic... finally I needed to register once more until I was back again, in the acrylics part.

Johannes, I must say I don't only admire your artistic and teching skills, but also your nervs - you seem to be able to keep cool no matter what happens (I said SEEM, I know you must be boiling inside...). Greatful for your efforts, keep up the good work!
Yes there was a break for a few minutes in between. That was not at your end.

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 08:16 AM
maybe johannes can tell what setting he uses. if he have very high bitrate of video and you have an older computer which cant play the ustream codec that is used. lets say johannes used a 500 kbps stream then all those who had lower bandwith than 10 Mb/s get a bad stream. for me it worked perfectley all the time but i had problems with my headphones so i lost some audio therefore
http://speedtest.net

Test your connection to San Jose, CA. Your upload speed is what matters. Once you know your upload speed, select the quality level in Ustream Producer that is about 60% LOWER than your average upload speed. This should give your broadcast enough breathing room to function without dropped frames, lag and disconnects.

those who did not get any video does ustream work today?

how many out of the 1060 was it that really had problem. and about whining when we have tried to help as good as we can you ofc get frustrated because you cant get it to work but we cant really do more which im sorry and especially johannes but we want to be able to ask questions which would had benefitted you all in the end because they would had been posted to the forum. and for those that it was working for and said bad things it wont make them calm down more

about streaming i would be very suprised if you dident loose some sound or some video since your computer dont tell the other computer hey i dident recive that(without streaming you would need alost faster uploading to confirm evrything got reached). my knowledge of ustream and their technology is not better so right now i cant be off further assisting

the lags that you experience with citrix and the webinars those in most places depend on your computer not the bandwidth because it use very low bandwidth. the audio on the other hand is streamed so i does not get delayed
I set bitrate at 600. I will reduce to 400 next time. However when I get reports from other students that all went perfectly well then that proves I was uploading well or everyone would have that problem. I see there is a way to decrease the usage for the viewer on his side. Next time I demo I will send some instructions for this.

allydoodle
03-21-2011, 08:43 AM
I need to know something. Did any of you have a non stop streaming video all the time with not lag?

I had no problems, watched the demo just fine. You mentioned that at the end there was an interruption which was not part of the problem. That I experienced, but it came back on it's own (I guess you were offline, which would explain it). To date, I've never had issues watching the demos, either on Justintv or Ustream. I'm wondering if it's just the connection? I'm told I have an excellelnt connection.

excited artist
03-21-2011, 08:48 AM
I tried to follow your suggestions and sent an email to the names listed but was told there were errors and the email would not be sent. Sorry.

elisamaria
03-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Thank you Johannes for a great demo lesson again! I enjoued it without any interruptions except the once you pointed out. I have a Mac from 2009 useing Safari sitting in Sweden. The first time a problem occured was last week´s demo where other people from Europe had some sound and freezing problems at the end of the program. In the forum of Pastel Guild of Europe I could read that other people had the same problem.

I will point out that I do not use the chat room at all. I am really so absorbed in the lesson that the chatting breaks the concentration. The picture is good, sound is good I can ajust the screen till full without chat or small with the chatboard.
I am I happy, happy student and so greatful I am fortunate to be one of your 3000+ students with such a great teacher. I just love your way of teaching, first of all so professional even if sometimes you have to improvise, lots of humor and generosity and loving your students like we love you. Thank you and your great team so much!:heart:
Elisabeth

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Thank you Johannes for a great demo lesson again! I enjoued it without any interruptions except the once you pointed out. I have a Mac from 2009 useing Safari sitting in Sweden. The first time a problem occured was last week´s demo where other people from Europe had some sound and freezing problems at the end of the program. In the forum of Pastel Guild of Europe I could read that other people had the same problem.

I will point out that I do not use the chat room at all. I am really so absorbed in the lesson that the chatting breaks the concentration. The picture is good, sound is good I can ajust the screen till full without chat or small with the chatboard.
I am I happy, happy student and so greatful I am fortunate to be one of your 3000+ students with such a great teacher. I just love your way of teaching, first of all so professional even if sometimes you have to improvise, lots of humor and generosity and loving your students like we love you. Thank you and your great team so much!:heart:
Elisabeth
It seems that the chat room is what is giving some of you the headache. Several people have pointed this out now.

bjornjo
03-21-2011, 09:06 AM
with 1 Mbps you should have no problem with the seeing of video. but the performance of computer with ustream differs alot of which browser you use but with justintv it was no diffrence between IE and "google chrome" ustream the diffrence between ie and chrome was 10-20% and that was when no chatt was used i dident find any room who had chat so i could test

LynnM
03-21-2011, 09:12 AM
I had no problems with viewing or sound. I did have trouble logging into Ustream, but persisted (I have an account) and on the 4th try I got in so I could use the chat window. I did have the chat up, but would be happy to not log in and just observe if it would be a good test for next time.

I am wondering about the amount of RAM that people have, could that make a difference? Although with new computers, they should have enough. I have 2G.

LadyMadonna
03-21-2011, 09:13 AM
My connection was fine without the chat system . I saw the entire demo just fine enlarged on my screen so I could see exactly what your brushstrokes were ..

beejane
03-21-2011, 09:20 AM
I have a satellite high speed connection, a two year old computer that has always had touchy-feely problems (freezes for no reason). I had Firefox open with three or four windows that I used to keep up with the news while watching the ustream demo. When it got too watercolour specific, I read a news update in between. I didn't make the demo full screen. I watched right till I had to leave at five, with only second long breaks in sound and a few lags in picture timing. I did not register for the chat, but it was running, with all it's negative energy, beside the demo window. Our satellite high speed internet often is slower and has trouble with video download.
In other words, I was doing everything wrong, have no computer savy, and was still able to watch with only a few sound lags. I forgot to exit when I had to leave at five and when I returned at seven, Johannes was still talking on the ustream connection, although it looked like the camera was upside down.
Perhaps someone could give us some info about different internet service providers and how they could influence reception.

Judibelle
03-21-2011, 09:32 AM
I had no problems whatsoever with the Ustream broadcast. I have an 4-yr old PC, and have had no trouble with any of the broadcasts...
Thank you, Johannes, for your patience and endurance... and of course for the valuable information you so readily impart...

mozapony
03-21-2011, 09:42 AM
good day / night,
As far as chat goes, does anyone use the chat room here on wetcanvas (at top of page under the 'tools' menu "Chat Live")? Just mentioning it, no need to answer I'll go there from time to time and check it out.

IF chat is contributing to the slow speed/interruption of Ustreaming and the webinar chat feature is dropped, I would not miss it. But for those folks who really want to chat during that time perhaps, they could open the WC applet and chat happily. They would have to choose . . . and the quality of their own connection will be the game, sorry to say. Nevertheless. It is just an option . . .

About the FW videos delay, be patient. It's all good either way. A "classic collection".

Thanks muchly for all you do Johannes, you are the best. And also to Ken and Patty and Judy, who are the wings beneath your feet.
rgds
Sandee

Judibelle
03-21-2011, 09:47 AM
BTW...I dont do the Chat....maybe that's why I've had no trouble...

bjornjo
03-21-2011, 09:59 AM
the thing is u cant go without the chat...even if it looks like it is closed it is really not. Only the starter of the event can remove the chat but that would be bad because then we would miss the opportunity to ask questions pepole need to stay focused to only use it for question thats really related to the painting process or what he is teaching depending what kind of questions johannes want

LynnM
03-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Johannes did try using the WC chat on one session before Christmas, but the usual 'residents' there weren't too happy being flooded with so many new people all talking about something they had no connection with. Still, it would be a venue for those who just want to gossip, and keep the Ustream one for questions about the course only. Maybe there could be a WetCanvas chat for WetCanvas Live only.

karan55
03-21-2011, 10:16 AM

I had great video with no problems, yesterday. I have IE 8 which does cause problems sometimes; but so far has not caused any problems with your classes. I have high speed IP from my cable company. I have been in since lesson 6 with all good reception......knock on wood...

sherrysherman
03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
It seems that the chat room is what is giving some of you the headache. Several people have pointed this out now.
A couple of times when I signed back into ustream I did not sign into chat (of course it stays streaming, visible, even tho I haven't logged in). Stilll had problems. I tried watching full-screen. Still problems. One time I flat out turned chat off. Still problems. Other times when chat slowed down, problems continued. So I'm not sure that's the final answer.

I have a MacBook Pro that is just over one year old. It has 4 GB of RAM. 256 MB of VRAM. Internet comes thru dsl, pretty fast but I can't remember how fast.

I have a friend with a pc and cable - we were at her house last week and she had some of the same problems, but not this bad. She didn't watch on Sunday so I don't know if it would have been an improvement. I may go with the odds and go over there next time J uses ustream.

bluemoonstar
03-21-2011, 11:13 AM
oddly, the chat box would disappear when I logged into ustream. didn't seem to help with the video problem though. Will try a disabling flash accelerator next time. Will the demos be available through some other source? Really hate having to miss them because of tech problems.

Grainne
03-21-2011, 12:20 PM
I said this in the discussion thread, but I will put it here as well.

I had no problems whatsoever . . . using Safari, Snow Leopard on my iMac, Frontier high-speed DSL. I could move seamlessly between small screen and full screen, and toggle back and forth between the chat window and UStream's regular window, but I kept it on full screen most of the time, as it is the actual watching what's happening that is important to me. No problems with audio.

But I have the free account with UStream and sign in under my own username and password. I don't know if that makes the difference. Also, except for one 30 second commercial when I first sign on, I get NO ad interruption during the entire time of the program.

Loved the watercolor demos! Such useful information, but it's actually watching it happen as you are doing it that makes real learning take place. Whatever I need to know about materials, etc., I can come and ask here in the WC forum.

What is a puzzlement to me is how those who were chatting incessantly on the chat window were not able to see or hear Johannes' demo. The chat was running at warp speed. I guess I don't understand how one part works and the other one doesn't.

I just wish the chat window was reserved for relevant questions for that week's particular demo only *sigh* so that those questions could be seen and answered. If you are not getting the "regular program," why hang around to just chat or complain about the tech problems?

Grainne

beart
03-21-2011, 01:03 PM
As soon as I found out Johannes had this class I spent all my weekends learning what I could. He is fantastic. People tell me I'm already a pro. I don't sell paintings as I don't think so. I won a portrait contest at the Fair and several local merits but I can see I'm not there. I read about notan but did not understand it. I now understand it. I noticed I had too many hard edges when I started doing Landscapes. I hurt my arm so haven't painted for several months but even with the pain I have tried to do as Johannes is teaching. I'm 74 and I'm not waiting on a bench for the death train, I want to leave a statement when I leave this world and he is helping me. I feel some of those who put out the negative comments are spoiled rotten. I was a Cub Scout Din Mother and took all the kids who were kicked out of dens and taught them crafts as they had never had in their own homes. I fixed the refreshments so one kid would not have to be embarrassed if their Mom would not and it only cost them .10 a week and I got bad comments from the parents about where that .10 was going. Johannes, you can't win with those people. About the video's, I too would like the ones I missed but if it doesn't happen I can live with that an except your expertise when I can. You deserve a medal for helping people that can't afford school.

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 03:21 PM
oddly, the chat box would disappear when I logged into ustream. didn't seem to help with the video problem though. Will try a disabling flash accelerator next time. Will the demos be available through some other source? Really hate having to miss them because of tech problems.
Yes, the purchased classes will be guaranteed for swift download. They would come from Artistsnetwork which is another company than the one I used is USTREAM.

IrmaH322
03-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I had no problem with video or audio during the demo, only at the very end after the oils demo I got a black screen but after entering the password I was in again but Johannes was saying the last few words. I don't bother with the chat, I don't want to miss a second of what Johannes is teaching that is why I always use the big screen. As for the tapes, yes it is frustrating not having them yet, but this is a new venture and things like that happens. I have waited years for in instructor of Johannes calibre, I can wait a few more weeks, the tapes will come.

pjreads
03-21-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm not a computer whiz and I can't find the site again where I got this tip, but it may help someone improve laptop performance (after you've done disk clean-up and defrag).

Power off,
remove both A/C and battery power from laptop,
wait a minute,
presss power on button for 30 seconds (?? tip may have said 10 seconds ??),
restore A/C and/or battery power,
power on.

This dumps some additional junk* that the laptop with battery retains.
*I don't know what "junk", but I had to do this after viewing a lot of videos and pictures of the earthquake/tsunami disaster in Japan.

Blah
03-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Johannes...thank you for a wonderful demo/class. In spite of all the breaks in video and sound I enjoyed it and found it very useful and informative. Now, if only there had been no interruptions...but that wasn't your fault.

On the whole I had fewer audio interruptions, and a lot more video breaks and freezing. And each time I tried to refresh, the screen went blank and I had to go through the registration process which further lengthened the break. I therefore opened two tabs in Firefox, logged in from each tab, and kept toggling back and forth to minimise the video breaks. I had to be on my toes to keep the audio acive on only the active tab at any given time, but as long as I did that, I got to at least hear you most of the time.

But your demo was so loaded with nuggets that I always felt that I was missing something really vital. (And I probably was.)

Incidentally I too noticed an improvement when you were able to persuade those who were chatting to quieten down for a few minutes. I immediately tried to close the chat window but found that I could not.

Balaji

susanc
03-22-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't know if weather affects server service, but there were many difficulties in CA with rain and flooding on Sunday. I know UStream is based in San Francisco, but it must have been streaming OK since some people much further east were receiving it without problem? In general, it almost seems that maybe the East Coast viewers and on into Europe had the best success in watching it this time around? (I can't attend Sundays so I don't know how well it would have streamed here.)

I understand that UStream has a streaming service called Watershed that is reportedly much more stable, but naturally, it costs much more, too! ;)
For instance, for a monthly charge of $179.00, you re allowed 2000 streaming hours ( i.e. 1000 people watching for 2 hours) and Johannes would have that more than used up on just one demo alone!

Does anyone know of a better free streaming service? Unfortunately, I don't, so I appreciate everyone's efforts to try to find a solution (sharing system info, browser info, noticing that if chat slows, streaming seems to improve, etc.). Sounds like it was an incredible class. Can't wait to buy the download of it!

Johannes Instructor
03-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Johannes...thank you for a wonderful demo/class. In spite of all the breaks in video and sound I enjoyed it and found it very useful and informative. Now, if only there had been no interruptions...but that wasn't your fault.

On the whole I had fewer audio interruptions, and a lot more video breaks and freezing. And each time I tried to refresh, the screen went blank and I had to go through the registration process which further lengthened the break. I therefore opened two tabs in Firefox, logged in from each tab, and kept toggling back and forth to minimise the video breaks. I had to be on my toes to keep the audio acive on only the active tab at any given time, but as long as I did that, I got to at least hear you most of the time.

But your demo was so loaded with nuggets that I always felt that I was missing something really vital. (And I probably was.)

Incidentally I too noticed an improvement when you were able to persuade those who were chatting to quieten down for a few minutes. I immediately tried to close the chat window but found that I could not.

Balaji

I can safely say the common denominator is that the huge amount of chatting that comes in is affecting the video. So many are telling me that once they closed the chat it solved the problem. So know we know what to do.

sherrysherman
03-22-2011, 01:28 PM
I can safely say the common denominator is that the huge amount of chatting that comes in is affecting the video. So many are telling me that once they closed the chat it solved the problem. So know we know what to do.
Johannes, when I closed chat it didn't help. When chat slowed down, it didn't help. Someone else who was having difficulty agreed that was true for her as well. So that's not the "final" answer.

A friend of mine here in Denver had a lot of problems too. She actually loaded Firefox onto her Mac, switched browsers, and then it worked. I'll try that next time.

For me, I signed in at 2:30 Eastern Time. After you started demoing, the sound worked but video hung up. I re-signed in at 3:40 , and it was horrible from then on. So maybe signing in early helps (as someone suggested).

So many ideas - but they don't always work or work for everyone. Kind of like - a baseball player wearing a specific pair of socks when he wins a game, so he believes those socks are what allowed them to win, and he starts wearing those socks every game. :rolleyes:

BTW, ustream is working fine for me today. I was watching a person's video stream with 750 viewers and a busy chat, and it worked perfectly. :confused: :confused:

susanc
03-22-2011, 01:43 PM
I also wanted to thank F&W for their support in all this. It is nothing short of miraculous for a large company to move so swiftly in starting something completely new. In many larger companies, it takes months of committees, focus meetings, surveys, etc., before they will take on any new venture.

I thought Gina nailed it when she called this the Woodstock of art instruction. This is brand-new, almost spontaneous. The response has been overwhelming, and as a result, everyone is still figuring things out as we go. But I wouldn't have wanted to wait any longer than we had to before it started. I'm happy to endure a few hiccups along the way in order to receive Johannes' instruction right now, instead of waiting a few months for everything to be set up and "perfect" first. (It was hard enough just waiting through January! ;) )

Sarah--I hope you feel better soon! Thank you for letting this get off the ground. It's been a dream come true.

And of course, thanks Joe! I didn't realize there was so much to landscape painting. I probably would have gotten frustrated, overwhelmed and maybe even given up by now if it hadn't been for your help!

Susan

sherrysherman
03-22-2011, 02:13 PM
I also wanted to thank F&W for their support in all this. It is nothing short of miraculous for a large company to move so swiftly in starting something completely new. In many larger companies, it takes months of committees, focus meetings, surveys, etc., before they will take on any new venture.

I thought Gina nailed it when she called this the Woodstock of art instruction. This is brand-new, almost spontaneous. The response has been overwhelming, and as a result, everyone is still figuring things out as we go. But I wouldn't have wanted to wait any longer than we had to before it started. I'm happy to endure a few hiccups along the way in order to receive Johannes' instruction right now, instead of waiting a few months for everything to be set up and "perfect" first. (It was hard enough just waiting through January! ;) )

Sarah--I hope you feel better soon! Thank you for letting this get off the ground. It's been a dream come true.

And of course, thanks Joe! I didn't realize there was so much to landscape painting. I probably would have gotten frustrated, overwhelmed and maybe even given up by now if it hadn't been for your help!

Susan
Yeah. What she said. :thumbsup:

Grateful grateful grateful. :) :) And to the notetakers, and the assistants, and everyone else who is making this work so well.

(please understand, in my posts about the video, I'm not whining. I am reporting my experience in the hopes that that it helps us/me figure it out. Hope we/I find a solution :crossfingers: but I'll keep plugging away with what i have, which is MANY more times what I had before.)

susanc
03-22-2011, 02:29 PM
There are so many factors that combine to affect internet viewing, :evil: unfortunately, it might be impossible to come up with a single solution that works for everyone...Though I do think it might be an interesting experiment for Joe to try it once with the chat window ability closed?

I think Joe already posted this info from Ustream:
http://helpcenter.ustream.tv/content/having-trouble-watching-live-ustream-show-or-recorded-video

I checked on weather-related problems, and unless you're on Fios, weather can affect connection speeds--especially for DSL and satellite.
"If it is DSL then the water and wind and snow affect it. DSL internet is one of the internet connections that get a lot of interruption because of the weather."
"Satellite will drop when it's raining or snowing hard. If it's a cable provider where the cables are above ground water sometimes gets into the older cable lines (squirrels chewing the lines also) and screws things up."

Joe has already mentioned how others using the internet in your household can affect your speeds.

Then, there are all these factors, too:
http://www.ehow.com/facts_4924661_what-factors-affect-speed-internet.html
or these...
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5563170_factors-can-affect-connection-speed.html

Or, even your server could be having problems...
http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm

There's so much that could go wrong it's almost seems amazing that it works at all! ;) I do commiserate with everyone who missed the demo since I can't attend half the classes (and the latest one looks like such a great one from the homework results I've seen!). With Johannes, you know that when you miss a class, you've missed out on a number of gold nuggets! My green "online" indicator light here shines many times a day because I'm frequently checking for the news that the downloads are finally available! :crossfingers: :) My paintings need a lot of help, and I'm so crazy-obsessed with painting, I might, too! :)

Grainne
03-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Well, whether the excessive chatting affects the video/audio output may be at question, but we do know of a certainty that all the chatter affects the ability of those who have legitimate demo-related questions to be seen, heard, and answered, which is regrettable IMO, since our artistic growth is the whole point of Johannes' efforts. He works indefatigably to help us . . . our part is help him by being attentive and focused.

IrmaH322
03-22-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't try to post questions anymore, with the time spent trying to find the answer, I am missing important information from Johannes. If I
need to know something badly I'll post it in the student question answer thread.

BumpaBob
03-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Howdy y'all: same experience, as I tried to get re-re-re-re-re-signed into Ustream, I missed some of the most important techniques being discussed. Thank goodness for Robert, TerryKrysak and NeldaJenson for taking good notes and posting their thoughts. Definitely for me, forget the chat and concentrate on the class! Now gotta do my homework.. thanks to all for posting their impressions and their work.

Dougwas
03-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Could the heavy traffic for the NCAA Basketball tournament be part of the problem. A quick search with Google News brings up a story by Media Daily News and says, A clue that traffic for the online streaming of NCAA tourney games was significant this weekend came as the live feed frequently staggered. I don't know much about this stuff, but they are reporting 2.4 million visits to the site that offers the upstreaming of any game that is being played. Could this be part of the problem? Just wondering. I had no problem.

Doug

susanc
03-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Could the heavy traffic for the NCAA Basketball tournament be part of the problem. A quick search with Google News brings up a story by Media Daily News and says, A clue that traffic for the online streaming of NCAA tourney games was significant this weekend came as the live feed frequently staggered. I don't know much about this stuff, but they are reporting 2.4 million visits to the site that offers the upstreaming of any game that is being played. Could this be part of the problem? Just wondering. I had no problem.

Doug Huh? Why would they schedule that during Johannes' demo time? What were they thinking? ;) Might help explain why people in the states seemed to be affected with more problems than outside the US?

Johannes Instructor
03-22-2011, 06:20 PM
You are not ging to believe this but guess who uses USTREAM where I broadcasted the video. .... Charlie Sheen. He has broken records of tweeter followers so how many were watching him on Ustream?
I wonder if he was on the same time we were. That was primetime Sunday.

Johannes Instructor
03-22-2011, 06:21 PM
I doubt they have bandwidth for a million people.

karan55
03-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I doubt they have bandwidth for a million people.

Not an art ?...but...Why would a million people want to watch a sick person, Charlie Sheen, self destruct???

Johannes Instructor
03-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Not an art ?...but...Why would a million people want to watch a sick person, Charlie Sheen, self destruct???
Charlie Sheen is the Guiness World Book of Records for the most Tweeter followers.

karan55
03-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Charlie Sheen is the Guiness World Book of Records for the most Tweeter followers.

I just cannot understand WHY....does not make sense to me.

Johannes Instructor
03-22-2011, 08:15 PM
I just cannot understand WHY....does not make sense to me. Almost all of our TV in North America is like that. Where do I start? Celebrities acting like idiots are celebrated in our side of the world as well as almost every show is about crime and violence. Those of you who are studying art are above the norm and you like your intellect to be stimulated. To be honest these webinars are high intellectual content and you should all be proud you are drawn to this for this separates you from all the sheeple. We artists (referring to all of you as well) belong to small elite of people that are different than the great majority. Many of us cannot make sense out of it. Did you know that centuries ago the rich and royalty used to surround themselves with artists s they would look more sophisticated? Some artists even had a living space in castles.

sherrysherman
03-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Huh? Why would they schedule that during Johannes' demo time? What were they thinking? ;) Might help explain why people in the states seemed to be affected with more problems than outside the US?
LOL! <just snorted my tea>

I just checked my tv listings - the games were on at the exact same time as Johannes!! Doug, Susan - so far, THAT is the best explanation I've seen.

Might not be right, but it's the best. :wink2:

Dougwas
03-22-2011, 10:30 PM

I just checked my tv listings - the games were on at the exact same time as Johannes!! Doug, Susan - so far, THAT is the best explanation I've seen.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.;) We are creating our own March Madness.

Doug

hewill4giveu
03-22-2011, 11:07 PM
I have been in every single class of johannes with the exception of one and my computer froze and then i couldn't get back in. I have like sherry had some minor glitches but they went by fine. I have no one else in my home who uses a computer. I also closed all windows, My computer is new , and i have a fast internet. I did what Judy suggested too. I have never had the issues i had sunday. I finally gave up and got off line. But im glad others had no problem. All the more reason why i would greatly appreciated if we could get the videos. We all love these classes so much that its very hard to miss even one. So we count on the videos to be able to catch up. One thing i did notice is when Johannes lost connection and it came back up for a few minutes it was fine but when the amount of people rose past 950 it froze again. Sherry lives one state from me why i thought perhaps it might be something on this side of the states were experiancing. Either way i just would love to have access to the videos as Sunday was so interesting the little i got between no voice and picture freezing. Still im so thankfull to WC and Johannes for the wonderfull opportunity they both have given us. It is invaluable so i dont think were fussing at anyone just greaving having to miss something so important to our art experiance. Thanks

hewill4giveu
03-22-2011, 11:09 PM

LOL Sherry it must have been all those bored wives and kids on line LOL

surob
03-22-2011, 11:27 PM

I had absolutely no pause, lag, hiccup.......nothing at all but excellent quality audio and video for the entire class. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones.

I do have so say that what was extremely distracting to me was the complete lack of patience and respect for what has been an incredible contribution of time and knowledge that has been offered to us for free. Yes I said FREE! The chat box was so completely littered with complaints there was little time for any questions to be asked or answered. No one has required any of you to chain yourselves to your computers for several hours each Saturday and Sunday. That is a choice that only you can make. If you're time is more valuable than mine or anyone else's than maybe you ought to find something else more worthy to spend it on. I have whitnessed better behavior from a room full of two year olds or maybe a better example would be a room full of teenagers. I don't understand where such a strong sense of entitlement comes from.

I will now step down from my box of soap........

DeboraM
03-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Loved the demo all the same Johannes and learned a whole lot in spite of the down time. Looking forward to the next sessions.

Just a thought on the whole Ustream thing -I don't think what kind of systems or internet provider we have has as much to do with it as simple congestion. The internet is like a huge super highway and, we just happened to be stuck in traffic on Sunday during rush-hour. i.e. We are in the middle of March break (and study week with a lot of colleges and universities) with plenty of kids home with their X-boxes, NetFlix, and such playing video games and watching movies, etc.
I work at home on my computer and since March break began I have been having extremely slow internet, with lags and dropouts all day long, all week long. This happens every big holiday and long weekeds.

[I agree with Surrob - I for one would gladly see the chats gone in the demos, regardless of the host (JustinTV or Ustream). They are annoying and distracting and people don't respect the "just questions" request.]

This way of teaching art comes with a huge learning curve, and some days it is difficult being a lab rat or guinea pig! :)

bluemoonstar
03-23-2011, 12:10 AM
I had absolutely no pause, lag, hiccup.......nothing at all but excellent quality audio and video for the entire class. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones. .Perhaps you were. As for the complaints, obviously something was going wrong for many people who would ALL have loved to have your good fortune & no problems - people were just trying to see if they were the only ones having problems, and trying to find out as quickly as possible how to fix them. No need for you to be so rude about it.

Without a doubt there were many factors that contributed to having such widespread problems. I will plan to purchase the tape for that show, and hope for smoother performance for the next one.

During the webinars, there have been some very good questions posted & answered. I don't read it constantly, but have been impressed at the wonderful job your assistants do at answering such a variety of questions. Thanks you again, Johannes, for all of you taking the time to present such insightful material to us.

Rosemarie
03-23-2011, 01:41 AM

Doug

That is a very good explanation. I have had problems with Internet when there was major games on television like the Olympic games. If we had Johannes terrific classes streaming at that time I probably hadn't been able to see a thing due to slow down.

wetbob
03-23-2011, 03:42 AM
I do have so say that what was extremely distracting to me was the complete lack of patience and respect for what has been an incredible contribution of time and knowledge that has been offered to us for free. Yes I said FREE! The chat box was so completely littered with complaints there was little time for any questions to be asked or answered.

You don t ve to read the chat! Put your vid on full screen. This thread goes for moderators, not complaining about chatters.

In my opinion justintv worked great. Chatters little complained about the quality then. The chatters are a mirror for the overall viewers. We could start a poll on wclive. Justintv works, Ustream not. How is that possible, could it have been the wether, or because the president visited Canada?

Note: I m not complaining, i don t mind, it s for free. I just like Johannes courses, all the chatters do:thumbsup:

The chat box was so completely littered with complaints there was little time for any questions to be asked or answered
There are a lot of people willing to help you in the chat

Johannes Instructor
03-23-2011, 08:49 AM
What will do next time is try 1 hour earlier and if we have problems we switch over to another provider. There are several options ustream is not the only one. But yes a basketball game and the March break would put strain on the system. Don't worry. We will get it right.

Colorix
03-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Who's Charlie Sheen? Don't tell, Wikipedia enlightened me... I don't understand either, why would an infantile addict and abuser be of interest?!

Sadly, TV in Europe is no better, generally speaking. Crime, violence, Big Brother, etc. Scandals.

Sheeple... :lol: great word!

Choosing art and growth is rare. It is a choice, just as watching tv is. We become what we choose.

Almost all of our TV in North America is like that. Where do I start? Celebrities acting like idiots are celebrated in our side of the world as well as almost every show is about crime and violence. Those of you who are studying art are above the norm and you like your intellect to be stimulated. To be honest these webinars are high intellectual content and you should all be proud you are drawn to this for this separates you from all the sheeple. We artists (referring to all of you as well) belong to small elite of people that are different than the great majority. Many of us cannot make sense out of it. Did you know that centuries ago the rich and royalty used to surround themselves with artists s they would look more sophisticated? Some artists even had a living space in castles.

sherrysherman
03-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Who's Charlie Sheen?
LOL!! I just googled "charlie sheen" and got 250,000,000 hits. Hah!

Sheeple... :lol: great word!
Agree!
Ba-a-a-a. :)

hewill4giveu
03-23-2011, 08:47 PM
This is all new to everyone and will take a little time to tweek it. BUT OH SO WORTH WORKING THREW IT ALL. Again thanks to all who have a part in this for your effort and hard work. When you could be doing so many other things with your weekend it is very much appreciated by im sure all of us.

Colorix
03-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Justintv works, Ustream not.
For a lot of us, Ustream worked well enough, while Justin threw us out because "the quota for your country is full" (but it wouldn't be full if we paid, mind -- and one of the 'countries' were upstate new york). We who are not on the north american continent (and are in Europe, India, Australia, South America, South Africa, etc, etc) found Ustream better because it let us watch.

wetbob
03-25-2011, 09:11 AM
That s why i m happy i don t have to decide. Someone is going to be unhappy.
Justin threw me out too, but i was late! There was a country limit too.

I only wanted to say it has to be a fair discussion based on facts. Justin is faster, less adds and Ustream allows more people but is slower (read: people need a fast connection),

WB

susanc
03-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Not an art ?...but...Why would a million people want to watch a sick person, Charlie Sheen, self destruct??? In the 1800's, people would pay to watch a train wreck--two trains colliding head-on into each other. I think it's just about the same concept, but a little safer for the spectators.

oCDs01-711
03-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Love the classes and all the time put into it for our benefit! Attended the majority of classes except for a required meeting and then a computer virus. Looking forward to this weekend! I did have a little trouble Sunday, but after freaking out and rushing to re-enter, by some accident, I got back in! Couldn't believe it. Better believe I said a thanksgiving prayer!

It will be great when the videos are up for sale. So many people are ready for them! Thanks, Johannes!

luicre
03-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I have been tryting to join the webinar for than an hour and I couldn`t make it.

I joined through the link provided to me by email, gotowebinar.com and there is a message on the screen that says " the session is full. Please contact the organizer".

I don`t know what else to do. So frustrating.

Saludos

Luicre

Johannes Instructor
03-26-2011, 06:11 PM
I have been tryting to join the webinar for than an hour and I couldn`t make it.

I joined through the link provided to me by email, gotowebinar.com and there is a message on the screen that says " the session is full. Please contact the organizer".

I don`t know what else to do. So frustrating.

Saludos

Luicre

We have an over demand. The webclass opens 1 hour early which is 2 pm. No one that has logged in at 2 pm has gotten rejected so far.

Kurlie
03-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Today was my first time experiencing a live feed of anykind. I hope that I get on and am able to watch a painting demo (trees?) tomorrow. This is a great idea, having live classes. I am hoping to get the classes that I missed, later. Now, to go and read the rest of Robert's Notes,,and try a difussed, soft, hard tree, with no straight trunk, holes, humps, clones or 8s! Kurlie

susanc
03-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Sunday (tomorrow) has 2 more US Division I Collegiate basketball tournament games--the first starts at 2 pm EST in San Antonio Texas, the second at 4:55 pm EST in Newark, NJ. Probably another high internet usage day for the states, just like last week. Maybe worse, since these games determine who is in the final four. I wonder-- will the high numbers attending J's class affect how well the games stream? :)

sherrysherman
03-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Sunday (tomorrow) has 2 more US Division I Collegiate basketball tournament games--the first starts at 2 pm EST in San Antonio Texas, the second at 4:55 pm EST in Newark, NJ. Probably another high internet usage day for the states, just like last week. Maybe worse, since these games determine who is in the final four. I wonder-- will the high numbers attending J's class affect how well the games stream? :)
LOL! Yeah, those millions better be ready for our thousand! :)

I was disappointed that Johannes decided to try another webcam this Sunday. I was hoping he would put that off until after the games end, just stick with the webinars for now. :(

Well, we'll see.

kittierue
03-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Only if we can log in well before 2 p.m. and tie up the bandwidth. Since we start logging on at 2, we're already behind the 8-ball. It'll be catch-as-catch-can. Okay. cliches running rampant. better go lay down. tomorrow may be aggravating. Hope RobertSloan gets on. :wave:

sherrysherman
03-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Only if we can log in well before 2 p.m. and tie up the bandwidth. Since we start logging on at 2, we're already behind the 8-ball. It'll be catch-as-catch-can. Okay. cliches running rampant. better go lay down. tomorrow may be aggravating. Hope RobertSloan gets on. :wave:
It's not like GoToWebinar. You can probably log in any time you want (hey, you could probably log in now!). BUT I don't think that makes much difference. If streaming is slowed everywhere because of too much activity, I don't think it matters when you logged on or started streaming.

But what do I know? I'd be okay being totally wrong on this. :)

luicre
03-26-2011, 11:43 PM
We have an over demand. The webclass opens 1 hour early which is 2 pm. No one that has logged in at 2 pm has gotten rejected so far.

Thank you very much for your response, Johannes.

Now I am lost in time zones.

I live at Argentina. The email I have got said that the webinar started on 3 pm EDT.

After a long and difficult search at the Time zone site I found that I should have joined the webinar two hours earlier. It seems that the EDT has changed and now I am one hour ahead form New York time zone.

But now you are telling me that the webinar starts on 2pm.

So, where I can find what could be my hour to join the webinar?

Are you doing the webinar at a time zone different from EDT?

Thank you very much for your answer.

Saludos

Luicre

Davkin
03-27-2011, 12:01 AM
It is 3:00 PM EDT Luicre. Though tomorrow it will be a webcam demo rather than the webinar.

David

sherrysherman
03-27-2011, 12:01 AM

The Webinar STARTS at 3 pm EDT. However, Johannes OPENS the Webinar one hour early, at 2 pm. If you sign on early, say before 2:30 EDT, you will be sure to be online and in the Webinar when it starts.

In the time BEFORE the formal Webinar starts, Johannes is preparing, sometimes chatting or answering questions. Today he conducted several polls. It's interesting but not part of the class.

Hope that was clear.

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Thank you very much for your response, Johannes.

Now I am lost in time zones.

I live at Argentina. The email I have got said that the webinar started on 3 pm EDT.

After a long and difficult search at the Time zone site I found that I should have joined the webinar two hours earlier. It seems that the EDT has changed and now I am one hour ahead form New York time zone.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Saludos

Luicre

Ok here it goes again. The class starts at 3 PM EDT but I open the room 1 hour earlier which is 2 PM EDT. I want to make sure every thing works 1 hour earlier and not open the last minute. See it as boarding time for a flight. There are more than 3500 people registered. This has tripled since the course began. In all fairness if I open 1 hour earlier it gives those who really want to get in the assurance they will be in. Officially the class begins at 3 but sometimes I answer students' question from 2 to 3. What I won't do is begin a topic between 2 and 3.

susanc
03-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Sorry, this is too late for you now, but there's a convenient way to see the start time for your own time zone when you sign up for the webinars--

When you go to https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/616569648, near the top of the page in blue letters it says Show in my Time Zone

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2011/1697-timezone.jpg

When you click on that link, you're give a drop-down box that allows you to scroll down and choose your own time zone from a list. Then it converts the web page to show the right start time for you. I didn't see this feature the first time I registered...

carol_lee
03-27-2011, 01:52 AM
World Clock (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=3&day=27&year=2011&hour=15&min=0&sec=0&p1=179) a great link to see all world time areas!!!:wave: see you all here this evening!!!:lol:

pixieartist
03-27-2011, 03:24 AM
Hi Luicre,:) I'm in Alberta, Canada. Our time for the Johannes class is 1 pm for us which is the same time as 3 pm Ontario, Canada time. If you are in the same time zone as us, get signed in between 12 noon and 12:45 pm.:) If you are on the same time as British Columbis, Canada (Pacific Daylight Saving time), then the course will start at 12 noon, so you would want to sign in between 11 am and 11:45 am.:) If you are farther east than Alberta, Canada, you may be on Manitoba, Canada (Central) time in which case, the class would start at 2pm, and you would want to sign in between 1:00 pm and 1:45 pm.:) I should have looked at a time zone map to give you the right time, however, following what susanc....post #122... wrote, make sure you have the time adjusted to your time zone by what she said.:thumbsup: I already did this myself when I first saw it when I signed up/registered for this course mid Feb or thereabouts. Sure helped make things easier!!!:D Good luck, and have fun with the course tomorrow!!!! Pixieartist :wave:

Colorix
03-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Most of Europe shifted to Summertime last night, so be sure to check your time for Sunday evening, Europeans. Should be CEST 21:00. (Opening one hour earlier.)

luicre
03-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Ok here it goes again. The class starts at 3 PM EDT but I open the room 1 hour earlier which is 2 PM EDT. I want to make sure every thing works 1 hour earlier and not open the last minute. See it as boarding time for a flight. There are more than 3500 people registered. This has tripled since the course began. In all fairness if I open 1 hour earlier it gives those who really want to get in the assurance they will be in. Officially the class begins at 3 but sometimes I answer students' question from 2 to 3. What I won't do is begin a topic between 2 and 3.

Thank you very much for your kindness, Johannes.

Saludos

Luicre

bluemoonstar
03-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Hi Johannes, this comment is in response to the nudesign webcam this week - WOOHOO- THANK YOU! NO PROBLEMS at all with the audio or visual once everything was up running. Great demo, was able to follow the whole thing. You are so generous, thanks for sharing with your knowledge & all those little tips with us.

Windrawings
03-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi Johannes,

Todays class went very well both audio and visual worked great for me. Thank you for the great information that we wouldn't be able to otherwise obtain. Wonderful class... evergreens huh?

bjs2
03-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Todays class went very well both audio and visual worked great for me. Thank you for the great information. I think the changeover to cyberartlearning from u-stream was the answer! last Sunday after many tries I finally got video only. Today I had it all, and there were more than twice the number of users.

Thank you for a great series!

eslart
03-27-2011, 09:22 PM
I feel the Webinar sessions run well. Usually there are no problems. U-stream video is another story. Too many problems. However, todays video demo where Johannes demonstrated trees, etc. ran very well No problems whatsoever. Thank goodness it was not U-stream. It was an excellent program. Thank you Johannes.

BumpaBob
03-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Hi Johannes:
I posted this over in the other thread concerning "Having problems...?" But today's video session worked so well, I will repost it to make sure the good news gets back to "management": :thumbsup:

Let me join the happy chorus of those who had no problems today: the Stickam system worked superbly for the trees demo. Color was excellent, sound was perfect, video had just a few blips and stop-and-go moments. But after Ustream's difficulties last week, today's lesson was a joy. Thanks to Jo and Ken, and to F+W for making this class possible.
I've been a reader of Watercolor Magic/Artist from almost the beginning and this class, along with the videos we can subscribe to, prove to me that F+W has a handle on where art publishing is going in the future. I might actually get good at watercolor!!
Thanks again!! bob.c

Little Mary
03-28-2011, 05:51 PM
The Sunday session was quite good. The topic was great. The video and audio was good on Sunday. I have sure learnt alot what you have put on so far. Great job you are doing.

LTStu_Dent
03-28-2011, 11:01 PM
New at posting. Great forum. Thanks to all the members that have posted their work. My original post should show up somewhere regarding the broadcast on Sunday, the 27th. Video, audio:good. Instruction: great.

LTStu_Dent
03-28-2011, 11:10 PM
It would be difficult to find a more knowledgeable and conscientious instructor than Johannes. The presentations are well thought out. The demonstrations are informative and relevent. Also remarkable is the extent to which Johannes seeks out solutions for technical difficulties. The March 27th Sunday session was an example of problem solving at its best.

This series is an excellent learning opportunity for those of us who desire to take our painting to the next level. Thank you Johannes, Ken, and all involved.

nougat
03-29-2011, 03:04 AM
my 2 cents.

THANK YOU JOHANNES. :)
excellent artist, generous teacher, fabulous instruction.
i am so going to miss this webinar when its done ...
i have had no problem with any of the streaming videos..my only problem is one that nothing can be done about....:) ..... the time zone :)
i'm in malta and your afternoon class often finishes close to midnight for me...way past my bedtime!!!