PDA

View Full Version : PanPastel WIP

Deborah Secor
03-18-2011, 04:50 PM
This was the demonstration painting I did for my class yesterday on how to paint rocks in water. Check out my Art Class blog post on the lesson details (http://todaysartclass.blogspot.com/2011/03/rocks-under-water.html). :D

It's all in PanPastels on Pastelmat, which gives the soft focus look, about 9x9". I still intend to work on the water.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2011/23609-Rocks_WIP_sm.jpg

Just thought I'd share. Pans can be wonderful all on their own!

Donna T
03-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Really nice, Deborah! The water looks great already - it flows.

Winny Kerr
03-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Lovely Deborah.....and it certainly gives a very soft look...very pretty

Nansketch
03-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Deborah,

this looks great, good to see what can be done with pans -- I have a few and need to work with them.

Nancy

Mikki Petersen
03-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Wow! I'm curious to try the pan pastels just for the concept, but seeing this painting I'm deetermined to buy some and and get my brush strokes fired up. I like everything here as is. Soft color gives a feeling of Spring.

Mik

Turpintine45
03-19-2011, 01:16 AM
Great job Deborah you can hear the water gurgling already.

bluefish
03-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Deborah

Your beautiful painting and your instruction have convinced, even an old cager like me, to try the pans - can you make a small recommendation for a material list to start, without having to purchase everything at first?

thank you so much - I really appreciate all your help!

your good friend, 'blue....' :wave:

JEFrantz
03-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Deborah - This is really very nice. Great colors!

bnoonan
03-19-2011, 10:30 AM
yup - back to your magic. i need to go take closer notes.
I can't imagine it will take too much more from what I'm seeing.

Fab Deborah! Barb

Deborah Secor
03-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks for all your nice comments. :D I love the combo of Pans and Pastelmat. Can't be beat. They work on all kinds of other paper, of course, but this is a marriage made in heaven.

If you're interested in getting started I suggest going over to Dick Blick and looking at the 5, 10 and 20 color painting sets. You can MIX these pastels, remember, so if you have red and yellow you don't need orange--however more pigments are better, as any pastelists knows... (Especially if you want PB 15.3.) You'll need some of the tools--be sure and go over the PanPastels Sofft tools page. I used the big oval sponge mostly and all the different art sponge bars (they offer a mix). I sometimes use the knives and covers, but not as often as the bars. They have a combo pack of bars that would be a good start.

At IAPS I'll be doing Pan demos in the candy store...

bnoonan
03-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Hey - our local Daniel Smith had them on sale recently - heavily discounted but limited in colors. For anyone in the Seattle area... check out the store on 1st ave.... minor plug...

sorry for this commercial interruption... now back to your regular programming....

Hurrah for a demo from you any day Deborah. Oh and congrats on the new family status.... Barb

Deborah Secor
03-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks, Barb! :D

bluefish
03-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Thank you so much for your advice Deborah -BUT you are way to young to be a Grandma - enjoy every minute of it and the best to you all -

'blue....(PB 15.3)' - LOL! :thumbsup:

robertsloan2
03-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Deborah, this is gorgeous! I love Pans and you did something so incredible with those rocks. Read your blog too and commented, but wanted to comment here too. I love this painting. Hope you can do Pans more often!

John Palmer Fine Art
03-20-2011, 07:22 AM
Very nice so far Deborah, you certainly are achieving a very fluid look with the pans.
John

VeronicaF
03-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Beautiful , Deborah

BetsyPriesing
03-20-2011, 04:24 PM
This was the demonstration painting I did for my class yesterday on how to paint rocks in water. Check out my Art Class blog post on the lesson details (http://todaysartclass.blogspot.com/2011/03/rocks-under-water.html). :D

It's all in PanPastels on Pastelmat, which gives the soft focus look, about 9x9". I still intend to work on the water.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2011/23609-Rocks_WIP_sm.jpg
Just thought I'd share. Pans can be wonderful all on their own!

Deborah I think you use the pans so well! I can not seem to get used to them myself.

Deborah Secor
03-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks again! :D

I really like the Pans, but they aren't the same as sticks. They can work together so nicely, in a very complimentary way. Pans can give that sheer transparency that's utterly impossible with sticks, while sticks can add an edge or a pop of impasto color that's hard to get with Pans. I had a piece published recently in The Artist's Magazine comparing the two and I think I managed to do a fair handed job, in case you're interested. It's in the April 2011 issue on page 70, in the Ask the Experts column.

And I can't encourage you enough to try the Pans on Pastelmat paper. It truly is a MARRIAGE MADE IN HEAVEN!! I first tried Pans on Wallis and it was intriguing, but seemed resistant, as if I had to push harder to get the stuff to stick. Then I used some softer papers, Fabriano, then Rives BFK, and liked it a lot more. But when I was given some Pastelmat it was like *bingo*!! I'm going to attach a PDF of the original review I did back in 2008 for you, just in case anyone is interested. (I didn't have P-mat at that time.) There are a few photos of my paintings on different papers there.

And blue, I think grandma-hood is a state of mind. I qualified a long time ago! :) So excited...

Robert, thanks for your comments on the blog. :heart: I hope to get more time with my Pans outside now that it's spring and the weather is warmer. :D Hope so!

Dcam
03-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Deborah: Gotta love those pans! I really like the structure of this (composition), the movement and softness. Love it.
Derek

Deborah Secor
03-25-2011, 04:55 PM
At the risk of receiving the usual "I liked it better BEFORE" comment :lol:, here is the slightly tweaked but not yet finished version done to show my students how to begin to show the rocks beneath the water.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2011/23609-IMG_2010.JPG

Still using Pans and Sofft Tools here...

Dcam
03-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Some were "poo-pooing" the pans in pastel talk section....I can't imagine why. I Use them for nearly every painting in some capacity Deborah. Your example here shows the value of them.
Derek