PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy Corner 14th-20th March

PatrickHedges
03-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Starting this scratchy corner on a downer with thoughts for so many people in Japan :crying:

Also, I'm losing my job. Our industry has been struggling for a while through lack of quota and competition and other reasons. Seems like our competitors don't want to make any money - just want to turn over. Crazy. So ours will be the second lobster exporting business in our small part of South Australia to close in a month. Not too concerned though as I haven't enjoyed it for a while now and at least I get paid for another eight months after we close.

So job hunting I go. Should I try art? :confused: I could do what a lot of 50 year olds do, mow lawns or make coffee :lol:

Someone needs to post soon and lift the mood :thumbsup:

pandorea
03-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Patrick, I am very sorry to hear about your loss; I also have been in that situation and it's all a bit of a shock at first - but sometimes these events might just provide an opportunity to do something you have not seriously considered before.....?????? Take your positive attitude out into the towns and be surprised! Fifty ain't the end of it... Good luck!

Snuzin Susan
03-15-2011, 02:47 AM
I'm sorry Patrick! That is never fun.

I'm also really feeling for Japan too.

Well I wish I could life the mood...but I can't. On Saturday we discovered one our tigers Sasha had passed away. It was a complete shock considering she had shown no signs of feeling ill. We think she might have choked on her food because her incisors are so worn down. She was 13 though, and had a really rough upbringing in her early years so it could have just been her time. Absolutely heartbreaking to see such a powerful beast like that.

Someone have good news please.

-Susan

objectivistartist
03-15-2011, 03:00 AM
Good news... well, is not national, nor scratchboard, but got my latest rendering done - "Pitter Patter", pen and acrylic inks on 8"x40" acid-free foamboard...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2011/44482-SDC10640a.jpg

lorna12
03-15-2011, 03:13 AM
Oh Patrick...that is a bummer!:( But they say that when one door closes another one opens. Might be time to go professional in your art work? Lord knows you have the talent!

Snuzy...that is sad news too...is that the tiger you did in scratch behind bars? Seems to me her teeth were broken, too?

Robert...that is one interesting and cool piece!

On Japan...I've had the news on everyday...there are some miracles happening but also such sadness, such destruction.:crying:

PatrickHedges
03-15-2011, 04:22 AM
Thanks guys.

Snuzy, that's really sad. I know you loved Sasha.

That's very cool Robert. Very interesting design.

Garbonzo
03-15-2011, 07:46 AM
Patrick, In response to your comment last night on the last Scratchy Corner. Ha! Maybe now I'll have an excuse. :lol:
I believe everything happens for a reason, it's just not always apparent right away. Hopefully it will turn out as a positive for you and your family.

Snuzy, so sorry to hear about your loss.

Robert, nice one.

Seeing the devastation in Japan reminds me of just what is important and how fortunate I am to have my health and the small problems I have to deal with. :)

Buggin3
03-15-2011, 09:21 AM
So sorry to hear about you losing your job, Patrick. I absolutely think that you should try to create more of an income from your art. It's good though that you will continue to get paid for a while to give you some time to figure things out. Either way, I am sure you will find something that you enjoy more than what you were doing.

That's terrible news, Susan. It's always really sad to lose something that you care about that much.

On an more positive note, awesome piece, Robert. I like the cherry hanging from it's stem. :thumbsup:

Rodman
03-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Patrick.... When mankind finally figures out that this money system is a joke and doesn't work....that ALL the money is headed toward the people with all the money and that the average guy is cheated at every turn...that the worlds natural resources will be continually exploited, regardless of the social or environmental impact. ..... I better stop

Sorry about your job lose...we should have a world where a artist like yourself CAN make a living doing art....

Snuz ...damn.

Not having a T.V. I've only seen a bit of the Japan footage..at a lil pub. Wow in a big way... this should be a lesson on getting OFF of nuclear power and onto something clean safer renewable .... if you have a chance of leaking radioactive.material....eventually, you will. The long term consequences of which are bleak.

ARTMUTT
03-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Patrick sorry to hear about your job--but as others have stated think of it as a fresh opportunity to explore your interests.
Suzy- so sorry to hear about Sasha that's heartbreaking to see an animal that comes from an abusive situation and then thrive to passing without warning. The sanctuary should be proud that they gave her a place to live and die with dignity.
Robert--very cool

Japan video footage is hard to watch-I've been trying to avoid it since it is just so horrific to even think about.

GoldenArt
03-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Great piece of art Robert. O know you put a lot of time in these, and it is worth the efforts.:thumbsup:

Susan it is great that people like you work with these animals to give them the best opportunity for survival. So sorry for the loss.

Patrick, You are a success story, you will be fine. I know ,first hand,how it is to find yourself at this crossroads. If there is any way possible, you pick what you want to do. Your talent will help you no matter what you decide. Sorry you are faced with this situation.

When I watched the wave wash away the homes of so many and take friends and families of entire communities my heart aches. We have a friend that lives there and was shocked to find out he left to India on vacation just three days prior to the quake. He is bewildered and feels so guilty that he has been spared and all his world has been destroyed.
Makes one count the blessings. Rick

PaintDog
03-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Seems like the entire planet is going through a terrible rough patch right now. I'm just stunned by the destruction in Japan. I ran across a link that shows superimposed before & after photos. Difficult to look at, eerie, heartbreaking and all that, but it also really makes it clear how much damage was done.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html

The magnitude of the Earth's plates shifting is just surreal. As I understand it, one of the plates on the Japanese fault line lifted by 50 FEET over a distance of 180 miles! Incredible.

BTW, I'm in California, but I'm not running out to buy a Geiger counter or Potassium Iodide pills. I'm far more concerned about the people in Japan and the power plants in our state than what might blow our way on the winds across miles and miles of ocean.

Sorry about your job, Patrick, but I get the feeling that while you're concerned, you'll figure something out and will be fine.

I'm still getting to know everyone in here, so I had no idea that you had tigers, Susan. My sympathy on the loss of Sasha. I know she is dearly missed.

Leptailurus
03-15-2011, 07:00 PM
BTW, I'm in California, but I'm not running out to buy a Geiger counter or Potassium Iodide pills. I'm far more concerned about the people in Japan and the power plants in our state than what might blow our way on the winds across miles and miles of ocean.

Well it's a good thing you aren't falling for the exaggeration and lies. They're making a way bigger deal about the nuclear power plants than there needs to be... and that's saying something, because this IS important to know about, but you need to know what is actually happening. Here is a forum thread over at somethingawful that goes into great detail about what is currently going on at the TEPCO plant with many links to where to get up-to-date information: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396817&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I feel incredibly sympathetic for those affected by the quake and subsequent tsunamis. The footage from the events takes my breath away. I have a really intense fascination with natural disasters, so seeing what tsunamis are capable of is amazing.

Just serves to remind us how small we really are. We are at the mercy of our planet, there is no question about that.

Diane Cutter
03-15-2011, 07:56 PM
We hardly watch TV so have been a little behind on the initial disaster news from Japan. As others have said, it's very hard to watch. I have some internet friends, printmakers in Japan, who have all reported they are fine and not too bad off. That's a relief.

Patrick... I think you'll find your forced retirement much easier once you explore other things... and it may be a blessing in disguise if it gets you into your art big-time.

I travel tomorrow and have my travel art kit packed. Scratchboard is the ultimate in convenient art supplies for a trip, not messy, easy to slide in the pocket of the suitcase. So much easier than painting or woodcuts... :lol:

Diane

aaces
03-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Patrick....Man that stinks! I wish you the best at finding something else....but I have a feeling that with your talent, not only in the art field, and your personality, you will find something that will work out for ya. Hopefully it will be something art wise!!!! :crossfingers::thumbsup:
Snuzy...I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how much you loved that big cat. Just remember, you were part of making that big furry feline's life more enjoyable.
To the People of Japan my heart goes out to them. It's amazing to see how they (the people) are handling such devastation and loss.

Mother nature is truly a humbling force

Obedec
03-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Today was my last day on part of my job. Down to two days a week. Creditors are calling. Mom had a stent put in her heart,yesterday and just told me about it. But, I put in an application at an Art Gallery/Gift Store, keep your fingers crossed. I put in an application for an Senior Retraining Program which will guarantee me 20 hours a week at minimum wage for 1-4 years. My Red is still with me. I have a strong support system with the artists I know on Wet Canvas. And I thank you all for being my friends.
Sorry Snuzy, but she knew love at the end. Robert, Cool!

kenmacf
03-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Before I post my news, I want to tell everyone that feels like the weight of the world is falling on them to hang on. Nothing lasts forever, neither good nor bad. Just hang on. Creditors are lucky you are there, because of you, they have a job. Go to your art. Let friends and family love on you. Strengthen your acquaintance with your creator. Learn from the experience. However you are wired, I want to encourage you. Just hang on.
For 3 years now, my wife and I have been out of work. Lost our home and everything we thought important. Only to discover that we were surrounded by love in amazing ways. While I wouldn't wish the last 3 years on anyone, I wouldn't choose a different path, looking back. I discovered what I had lost in my 20's and my wife has found a job that is a perfect match for her temperament and skills.
Enough with the preaching, already.
Ken

kenmacf
03-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Seed Fund Donations for ISSA are now being accepted on the ISSA sub-forum page. You need to have a PayPal account but they are free to set up. Thanks

Celticelf
03-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Patrick.... When mankind finally figures out that this money system is a joke and doesn't work....that ALL the money is headed toward the people with all the money and that the average guy is cheated at every turn...that the worlds natural resources will be continually exploited, regardless of the social or environmental impact. ..... I better stop

Sorry about your job lose...we should have a world where a artist like yourself CAN make a living doing art....

Snuz ...damn.

Not having a T.V. I've only seen a bit of the Japan footage..at a lil pub. Wow in a big way... this should be a lesson on getting OFF of nuclear power and onto something clean safer renewable .... if you have a chance of leaking radioactive.material....eventually, you will. The long term consequences of which are bleak.

Friend - I just had a flashback to one of my all time favorite movie moments - Norma Rae with Sally Field standing on the machine table holding her strike sign. I agree with your heart (even in its slightly damaged condition!)

birdlover
03-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Sorry to hear the news Patrick and Suzy. You've had alot of exposure lately Patrick maybe its time to come into your own with art. Hate to hear about animals dying I have a soft heart. And of course Japan sounds terrible. Nature wise I think the Earth has been doing this forever but since we are so many now the impacts are more devastating so I try and look at it not as a negative cycle just a normal one. The normal cycle might be for this gal to get of of S. Ca since we maybe next.

pamelalbd
03-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Patrick: This is probably one of the most opportune moments in your life! Take a look at the timing my man with all your huge successes with your art! In my opinion the powers that be are helping you go in the direction that you were meant to go! And with a paid 8 month buffer.......That doesn't happen to most.
Five years ago I had a job that I despised with a boss that was spawned from hell and I felt trapped. Couldn't Quit cuz it was the only place to work within 1/2 hour of home, next stop 1 hr from home...long story short...My fuse exploded one day and well after a lot of phone calls and labour board encounters, I got Justice! Best and worst day of my life I think! I couldn't see it at the time but...same powers that be were clearing the way for me to get a job with Parks Canada that would never have been realized without that happening at hell job. And out here in the middle of nowhere My work is now 8 min from home. And I couldn't be happier! So I guess I have to say I'm happy for you cuz I know your going to turn this lemon into Champaign and be happy happy happy and if you chose to make art your living the world will be better for it!

Snuzie: :grouphug:

Japan: I say a prayer every day for you

Diana Lee
03-18-2011, 11:49 AM
OMG! I checked in here a bit late, but soooo much going on. Needless to say my heart and thoughts go out to the people of Japan.

I could do what a lot of 50 year olds do, mow lawns or make coffee Patrick you could also be a greeter at K-Mart:thumbsup: :lol:

But seriously, to all of you that are having an especially hard time right now, I am old enough to know that when I look back at my life, EVERYTIME something went seemingly bad in my life it opened up to something better. Without exception.
Patrick, Susan, and Karen...:heart: :grouphug:

BTW, I'm in California, but I'm not running out to buy a Geiger counter or Potassium Iodide pills. I'm far more concerned about the people in Japan and the power plants in our state than what might blow our way on the winds across miles and miles of ocean.Ann, good for you!! I'm proud to call you neighbor.

Good job, Robert.

Diana

objectivistartist
03-19-2011, 09:28 AM
I came across this, and it reminded me of Rodman's work....:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2011/44482-Le-Quang-Ha-The-Dictator.jpg

Rodman
03-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Robert...ha!....love it.

SammyH
03-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi All,

I have spent a good bit of time looking for the answers to these two questions and then decided it would be so much easier to just ask.
First, I know that if I scratch on the black scratchboard, I will get white marks. If I scratch on white Ampersand Claybord, will I get black marks or do I have to apply a color on it to get white marks? Hope that makes sense!

Second, has anyone found a small vacuum cleaner for picking up the scratching dust. Something small as a toothbrush. I think the keyboard cleaners blow air and, as you know, we need one that picks up the dust.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Rodman
03-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Sammy... the white boards are just the uninked clay.. you can apply many things .....about anyway you want..including but not limited to pencil,colored pencil,airbrush, markers, P&I, paintbrush, etc etc. Then you can still go back and scratch WHITE back into the image ( layering,most often,is the way to go). Have fun!

I have a small vacuum about like your asking about. Dirt Devil "Detailer" IMHO.. its "okay" at best BUT, I tend to be pretty rough on the boards. Digging on them a lil harder than most. It would probably be great for someone using a lighter touch.

lorna12
03-19-2011, 04:20 PM
:lol: It does remind one of Rodman's work...it's very cool...thanks for sharing Robert!

PaintDog
03-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Sammy, as Rod said, you have to add your own black (or other colors) to the white scratchboard. That's what I do. You can see an example in my WIP in this thread: http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915432

It seems that most of the folks in here work on the black. I prefer the white, but I'm getting jazzed to do some work on the black after seeing all the great stuff everyone is doing.

SammyH
03-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks for your help Rod and Ann. I really enjoyed the WIP link, Ann and saved it in my favorites. I'll check into that Dirt Devil, Rod.

Snuzin Susan
03-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Still hearing news from Japan, but now there is the conflict in Libya. I'm glad that the leading world powers have been able to come together to help put a stop to any potential genocide, and hopefully it serves as a warning to other countries heading down the same path.

-Susan

lorna12
03-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Let's end this week with a chuckle after the sad and bad news of the week. I just got this in an email and I laughed right out loud. Too bad it's so true. This is in Canada where our gas is over $1.24 a litre...more in some places. (over $5.00 a gallon)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2011/11613-Gas_prices.jpg

sandrawillard
03-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Haha that's a good one Lorna!

MuttHut
03-21-2011, 02:06 AM
I got that one too Lorna, way to funny and scary enough to almost be true, we are at the same prices as you are, and 1.39 for premium grade. OUCH

Wendy

Crias
03-21-2011, 02:46 AM
Hey friends just checking in to say a quick "Hi". I am still on my trip to Oregon visiting family and friends (sort of bad timing with all the ISSA stuff coming together while I am away!). Anyways... Left my best friends house yesterday, now at my older brothers (and his wife and my 16 month old nephew). Tomorrow I go to my parents. I brought a board to work on but have yet to put a scratch on it... too busy catching up...LOL. I will be home Thursday but then jump right into 3 ten hour days at work so won't be able to fully catch up until the following week (though I HAVE to get my taxes done that week too!). I leave for another 9 days on April 3!!!

Sorry to read of all the job losses but hopefully it will open other doors!

Obedec
03-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Lorna...tooo funny!