PDA

View Full Version : Johannes-Student Discussion Week 7

Johannes Instructor
03-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Let's use this thread now. I just completed this watercolor. I figured some of you would like to see it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2011/135220-Passing_Storm.jpg

Rosemarie
03-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Wow, just what I wanted to see! I have been thinking of copying your autumn painting you showed us in one class, and try to do in watercolour. I will scrutinise your lovely painting.:clap: :clap: :clap:

LadyMadonna
03-14-2011, 04:39 PM
That is just beautiful. You inspire me to reach beyond my limits.

*Deirdre*
03-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Beautifully painted...pity it wasn't a demo or a WIP!:)

granddad
03-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Very nice!!!! james

Ruthie57
03-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Lovely soft painting with gorgeous colours!

Dougwas
03-14-2011, 05:48 PM
I want to walk on that path and see what is behind those trees. I guess I would call it inviting. Beautiful painting.

Doug

bjornjo
03-14-2011, 06:13 PM
ohh and that path looks perfect. a good excuse to put leaves on it just have to watch so it dont get slippery :). for sure not easy to make them look good like this and not to carved out. i think i sometimes should stop asking and just wait to see what ends up the teacher is teacher and i should be humble and not try to infuse new stuff into the teaching which he is good at ignoreing which im glad for so continue the good work(mostly at the webinars). yesterday i behaved quite well except those rocks but those clouds worked aswell a big diffrence between the calm(resting spot) and a dead spot which i for a long time confused but now i have learned i think :)

diena
03-14-2011, 06:32 PM
I cannot find the photos Johannes is posting for us to paint. Thanks for the fantanstic classes. Sorry I moved from West 5th to Winnipeg.

bjornjo
03-14-2011, 06:39 PM
From http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...7&postcount=83 (The farmhouse photo is also at this link.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Instructor
"Here is the photo in case any of you want to do a painting inspired on it. Also you can use the other photos I posted in the homework section."

The 3 newest photos are at:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...&postcount=113

The original 3 photos are at:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923782

I think these paintings should be posted in the following thread:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924417

those did susanc gather could be those you refer too?

Cameraman
03-14-2011, 07:44 PM
As I stand in the scene, I hear the scene saying - THE ARTIST DID A CHAMPION, LOW LIGHT IMAGE OF THIS SCENE. I can only echo that thought.

Johannes Instructor
03-14-2011, 07:49 PM
I cannot find the photos Johannes is posting for us to paint. Thanks for the fantanstic classes. Sorry I moved from West 5th to Winnipeg.
The 10 photos are now posted in this thread:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925053

oils4me
03-14-2011, 07:58 PM
I love that palette...really a gorgeous painting Johannes!!

Thanks for the pics to paint too..:)

BarbB
03-14-2011, 09:23 PM
First off Johannes, thank you so much for your classes.

I am a oil painter currently experimenting with a new medium, pastels. I have a wonderful teacher here, (you can see his work under mollerman) and enjoy learning from different people. I pull something different from each and employ it into my own style.

BUT I have a problem. Left Right Brain.

I love the paintings of Bob Byerley, please look him up, he is awsome, oils! I am so inspired by him and want to copy his techinque but I am not that good or accomplished. Also my teacher here, mollerman, is capable of making a pastel look like a photo. Unbelievalbe what that man is capable of!!

What I want to do is paint more like you. Trust me, that is a huge compliment! I don't want it to look like a photo, I can take a picture to do that. I want it to look like a painting but I get to hung up in the details. I even take the photo I am painting from away from my studio area so I don't refer to it all the time.

BUT, I am never happy with my end results because they don't compare to the photo. I realize that I am contradicting myself, it is my Left Right Brains that are fighting.

I like the blocking in technique you showed, but found that it worked better off of a table surface than my easel.

I guess my question is, how do I retrain my brain to do what is pleasing to my eye and not trying to imitate what is in front of me?

Thank you for your time. I apologize for my ramblings.

Johannes Instructor
03-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Johannes are those first few of Acadia? It's my favorite place on the planet.

The second and third picture look like you took them from Cadillac Mountain.

Sherri

You are right! Join the club. When I see lots of nature scenes taken in popular areas I know where they have taken them. It's like been there done that!

Johannes Instructor
03-14-2011, 10:22 PM
First off Johannes, thank you so much for your classes.

I am a oil painter currently experimenting with a new medium, pastels. I have a wonderful teacher here, (you can see his work under mollerman) and enjoy learning from different people. I pull something different from each and employ it into my own style.

BUT I have a problem. Left Right Brain.

I love the paintings of Bob Byerley, please look him up, he is awsome, oils! I am so inspired by him and want to copy his techinque but I am not that good or accomplished. Also my teacher here, mollerman, is capable of making a pastel look like a photo. Unbelievalbe what that man is capable of!!

What I want to do is paint more like you. Trust me, that is a huge compliment! I don't want it to look like a photo, I can take a picture to do that. I want it to look like a painting but I get to hung up in the details. I even take the photo I am painting from away from my studio area so I don't refer to it all the time.

BUT, I am never happy with my end results because they don't compare to the photo. I realize that I am contradicting myself, it is my Left Right Brains that are fighting.

I like the blocking in technique you showed, but found that it worked better off of a table surface than my easel.

I guess my question is, how do I retrain my brain to do what is pleasing to my eye and not trying to imitate what is in front of me?

Thank you for your time. I apologize for my ramblings.
From my personal point of view which is in agreement with some of the top landscape artists in the USA. There is a false notion that if someone can make a painting look as realistic as a photo that means he is a skilled artist. This is a concept that the impressionists rebelled against. The reasoning behind this is even if one can make a painting photorealistic the painting will not look three dimensional and will lack harmony in several aspects. It is actually easy to make a painting photorealistic even some artists project the image and trace it. I personally prefer a poetic result over a photorealistic result. I am talking about landscapes of course. The notion of hyber realism for portraits and still lifes can be debated. I don't know how many course you have taken of mine but that is what the whole course is about; that is to use as a tool to get ideas.

Grainne
03-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Let's use this thread now. I just completed this watercolor. I figured some of you would like to see it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2011/135220-Passing_Storm.jpg

Another Johannes watercolor! You've made me a happy woman! :D

I admire your watercolor style. Personally, I think it is your medium. You have my permission to post another watercolor painting any time you want to :) I will be studying them all.

Grainne "Kaye"

carol_lee
03-15-2011, 01:51 AM
Beautiful painting Johannes... again thanks for all the work you are putting in on these classes and the wonderful patience you show on this forum. handfeeding all those links etc....

I realize that there are various levels of computer skills but I feel that once you do get to the main forum a little more time should be made to the names of each thread...they are really self explanatory!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2011/58142-board.jpg
Robert's notes and Johannes's Handouts are for Robert and Johannes ONLY
That is to keep them in a logical order... which they now aren't :(

Wetcanvas is a HUGE board... but has lots of tools to help you navigate:
changing the display mode.. going to last post.. etc. I like hybrid mode because it shows the first post and lets you navigate through all the posts to see the ones you may have missed....

Takes a bit of time and effort.. but well worth It

Kudos to Johannes !!!!:thumbsup:

robertsloan2
03-15-2011, 04:45 AM
Carol, thanks! And thanks for bumping Johannes's gorgeous autumn painting onto this page! I love it. I was planning to do that too, glad I looked at the second page before quoting it.

I appreciate all the gratitude when people thank me in messages and post to the Discussion Forum how much my notes help them. I also appreciate the way the Notes thread is set aside just for my notes. It's so much easier to find things in them. Since I used different sketchbooks, that even makes it easier for me to read back over my notes!

Johannes, I love your autumn watercolor. You perfectly captured the mist and the warm light of the season. It vibrates when I look at it, draws me right in with a perfect balance of detail and looseness. It reads true. That's why I agree with you on "less is more" versus photorealism.

I've noticed that there's a big difference between "realism" and "photorealism" too. When I look at Rembrandt still lifes, yes, there's these deep dark background areas but I see lost edges and obscure shadowed areas as well as the high contrast detailed foreground elements. The areas that are in extreme detail and strong light stand out but they get balanced by rest areas.

These principles work in realism just as well as in impressionism.

People will say "Wow, it looks just like a photo" when they stare at a detailed focal area and get impressed with masterful handling of a bit of lace and a shiny thing. They're not noticing what's in their peripheral vision, that the lace dissolves into a blue-gray blur in the rest area in the shadows. I've had to laugh sometimes at some of what I see that people think looks like a photo! It's more that "photo" stands for "truth" in the popular mind.

Once again, thank you so much for this course. You've doubled my tool kit. You've shown me how to create excitement within a limited value range when I used to rely more on chiaroscuro - and that's okay, they're both tools. You've shown me good reasons for some of the things I disagreed with too, challenges that I will want to overcome someday.

Green is one of them. I'm beginning to get the feeling that less is more - that if I want the bright spring yellow greens to be the meaning of the painting, I will need to stage them carefully with plenty of violet and some muted colors to make them shine where they'll pack the most punch. Between your classes and studying Charlie's paintings, I'm starting to see how many high saturation paintings that give an impression of "Lots of vibrant green" actually have "Lots of vibrant colors and the green is implied half the time."

I do love a high intensity painting. I also like to vary my palette, I probably won't ever have a signature palette because it depends on the subject and the meaning of the painting. I also love Southern subtropical areas like Florida and Louisiana, where the light is different. Moist regions and dry ones have a different look too. Louisiana didn't have the "see for miles and miles" dry Western air vistas, it had something else.

Swamp paintings weren't always predominantly green. I can remember a lot of them coming out more violet and gold, depends on time of day. Others were muted blue-greens rather than a lot of spring green. Where I need to master green is how to convey the pure joy I felt on moving down to New Orleans from a grim brown bitter climate that caused me a lot of physical pain, to the slower pace and brilliant beauty of all that green and all those flowers everywhere.

From some classes and your mentioning violet flowers, they're another way to counterbalance the monotony of green. If I want my feelings about warm green moist places bursting with life to come through, I can't paint them monotonously. The greens in nature are full of yellow and orange accents from reflected light and sunlight, pale blue or blue-green bits with sky light shining on them, violets in shadows... the other colors are there, it's how to get that right when I'm painting large masses that's tricky. Would I get that sense of bright clean summer emerald by using it as accents?

There's two greens you've talked about as problematic - the yellow greens like spring green and sap green, and the mid-hue emerald green that abounds in summer especially in well cared for lawns and some types of plants and trees. It's not always sap green or viridian. Sometimes it's Pthalo Green Yellow Shade and you're not the first painter I've met who calls that hue garish.

I can see for myself that it is when it's not handled well. Somewhere deep down though, I believe it can be handled well. I'm beginning to look at that as a personal challenge.

So even in the areas where I don't 100% agree with you, it's more that you've made me think and made me question myself about what it is I want to do. I like the bold greens. I want to make them beautiful and share my feelings about them. That means I have to stage them just right so that they don't look like I just painted a chunk of the wall that color.

Does any of that make sense, Johannes? I feel like I'm looking at a problem you and Clyde Aspevig solved in one way and know I need to find other ways in order to convey different climates and emotions.

I could get the "Martini Olive" hue easily in any paint medium though. Black and yellow make green. It always comes out in that green olives range.

Johannes Instructor
03-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Carol, thanks! And thanks for bumping Johannes's gorgeous autumn painting onto this page! I love it. I was planning to do that too, glad I looked at the second page before quoting it.

I appreciate all the gratitude when people thank me in messages and post to the Discussion Forum how much my notes help them. I also appreciate the way the Notes thread is set aside just for my notes. It's so much easier to find things in them. Since I used different sketchbooks, that even makes it easier for me to read back over my notes!

Johannes, I love your autumn watercolor. You perfectly captured the mist and the warm light of the season. It vibrates when I look at it, draws me right in with a perfect balance of detail and looseness. It reads true. That's why I agree with you on "less is more" versus photorealism.

I've noticed that there's a big difference between "realism" and "photorealism" too. When I look at Rembrandt still lifes, yes, there's these deep dark background areas but I see lost edges and obscure shadowed areas as well as the high contrast detailed foreground elements. The areas that are in extreme detail and strong light stand out but they get balanced by rest areas.

People will say "Wow, it looks just like a photo" when they stare at a detailed focal area and get impressed with masterful handling of a bit of lace and a shiny thing. They're not noticing what's in their peripheral vision, that the lace dissolves into a blue-gray blur in the rest area in the shadows. I've had to laugh sometimes at some of what I see that people think looks like a photo! It's more that "photo" stands for "truth" in the popular mind.

Once again, thank you so much for this course. You've doubled my tool kit. You've shown me how to create excitement within a limited value range when I used to rely more on chiaroscuro - and that's okay, they're both tools. You've shown me good reasons for some of the things I disagreed with too, challenges that I will want to overcome someday.

Green is one of them. I'm beginning to get the feeling that less is more - that if I want the bright spring yellow greens to be the meaning of the painting, I will need to stage them carefully with plenty of violet and some muted colors to make them shine where they'll pack the most punch. Between your classes and studying Charlie's paintings, I'm starting to see how many high saturation paintings that give an impression of "Lots of vibrant green" actually have "Lots of vibrant colors and the green is implied half the time."

I do love a high intensity painting. I also like to vary my palette, I probably won't ever have a signature palette because it depends on the subject and the meaning of the painting. I also love Southern subtropical areas like Florida and Louisiana, where the light is different. Moist regions and dry ones have a different look too. Louisiana didn't have the "see for miles and miles" dry Western air vistas, it had something else.

Swamp paintings weren't always predominantly green. I can remember a lot of them coming out more violet and gold, depends on time of day. Others were muted blue-greens rather than a lot of spring green. Where I need to master green is how to convey the pure joy I felt on moving down to New Orleans from a grim brown bitter climate that caused me a lot of physical pain, to the slower pace and brilliant beauty of all that green and all those flowers everywhere.

From some classes and your mentioning violet flowers, they're another way to counterbalance the monotony of green. If I want my feelings about warm green moist places bursting with life to come through, I can't paint them monotonously. The greens in nature are full of yellow and orange accents from reflected light and sunlight, pale blue or blue-green bits with sky light shining on them, violets in shadows... the other colors are there, it's how to get that right when I'm painting large masses that's tricky. Would I get that sense of bright clean summer emerald by using it as accents?

There's two greens you've talked about as problematic - the yellow greens like spring green and sap green, and the mid-hue emerald green that abounds in summer especially in well cared for lawns and some types of plants and trees. It's not always sap green or viridian. Sometimes it's Pthalo Green Yellow Shade and you're not the first painter I've met who calls that hue garish.

I can see for myself that it is when it's not handled well. Somewhere deep down though, I believe it can be handled well. I'm beginning to look at that as a personal challenge.

So even in the areas where I don't 100% agree with you, it's more that you've made me think and made me question myself about what it is I want to do. I like the bold greens. I want to make them beautiful and share my feelings about them. That means I have to stage them just right so that they don't look like I just painted a chunk of the wall that color.

Does any of that make sense, Johannes? I feel like I'm looking at a problem you and Clyde Aspevig solved in one way and know I need to find other ways in order to convey different climates and emotions.

I could get the "Martini Olive" hue easily in any paint medium though. Black and yellow make green. It always comes out in that green olives range.
Richard Schmid agrees with you. He does some paintings with garrish greens. Clyde, Christensen, Strisik as well as many others tend to mute them. Do what works best for you. I can only talk from myself about preference of colors.

Laura2011
03-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Johannes,

I love the picture, the autumn colours and the movement in trees, grass and river. To me movement in landscape pictures seems to bring them alive.
Thank you again for all your effort and your help.

Davkin
03-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Have you posted a photo of the finished pastel demo yet?

David

Ruthie57
03-15-2011, 01:37 PM
I've been doing one of the new homework scenes today. I did a value mass thumbnail and a sketch thumbnail to try and sort out how to arrange things in the painting. Then I sketched it out and started...with pastels.

What I've learned from Johannes is, I think, beginning to come together to improve my landscape skills. I haven't been doing landscape for long and had few pre-conceived ideas so I think that's helped me to be open to Johannes teaching.

I'm also starting to improve my technique. In this painting I am actually satisfied with my trees! That's a first.

So thanks Johannes! What you're teaching us is really starting to help me and, I'm sure, many many others.

flowergram
03-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Have you posted a photo of the finished pastel demo yet?

David

It is here: http://cyberartlearning.com/scene_from_oregon_coast.html

Gina

sherrysherman
03-15-2011, 04:34 PM
It is here: http://cyberartlearning.com/scene_from_oregon_coast.html

Gina
Gina, that seems to be the ref photo. I think what people are wanting to see is the finished pastel piece. Has J posted that somewhere?

JFountain
03-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Teach that water color is beautiful. I've learned so much in this class. I'm working on a landscape as we speak. It's my weakest subject:(

Davkin
03-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Gina, that seems to be the ref photo. I think what people are wanting to see is the finished pastel piece. Has J posted that somewhere?

Ya, what she said.

Johannes Instructor
03-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Here it is. I am not pleased with the photograph cause it made the colors muddy but we know photos always downgrade the original.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2011/135220-Strolling_along_Oregon_Coast.jpg

susanc
03-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Here it is. I am not pleased with the photograph cause it made the colors muddy but we know photos always downgrade the original.

Hmm. Now I really wish I could see the original! The colors are gorgeous on my monitor, and that's coming from someone who loves to use bright color! (Or have you somehow altered my mind about color, too? :) ) Can't wait to buy the demo! :)

Johannes Instructor
03-15-2011, 10:53 PM
I tweaked it more.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2011/135220-Strolling_along_Oregon_Coast.jpg

Grainne
03-15-2011, 11:15 PM
I tweaked it more.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2011/135220-Strolling_along_Oregon_Coast.jpg

This just beautiful! :) And very inspirational . . .

Grainne "Kaye"

tuscanni
03-15-2011, 11:42 PM
OH MY GOSH! absolutely gorgeous Johannes. In the demo on sunday, the lighting was so dark that I couldnt see these gorgeous colors you have put into your piece.
Pastel is a fairly new medium for me and I am determined to master it. I am hoping that some of your wonderful talent and shared secrets will rub off on me and I can become a truely talented pastel artist. I think my biggest problem is that my left brain is fighting with my right brain. I need to make myself stop trying to make my artwork look realistic and allow it to be artistic. I think I try too hard and its frustrating me.
I bought some new tools recently to help advance my painting skills and hopefully implementing these tools will help make my pieces better. I bought a drawing board recently to tape the pastel paper to, to make pastelling easier. Its not easy drawing with pastels if you dont have a surface to work on. I am one of those people who are slowly building up their pastel palette.
Thanks for a wonderful demo on sunday and for showing us how truely wonderful making harmonious artwork can be. This has been a rewarding experience for me. Hopefully there will more webinars to come after this one is over.
ANN

tuscanni
03-15-2011, 11:52 PM
johannes....I have a question for you. Do you have a method that you use to keep your fingers clean when you are using pastels? I noticed during the demo last sunday that your fingers were relatively clean. When I worked on my last pastel landscape, all 5 of my fingers on one hand were layered thick with green pastel. Even though I washed my hands, it took several days for the green to disappear from my fingers.
thanks for any info
ann

sherrysherman
03-16-2011, 12:15 AM
johannes....I have a question for you. Do you have a method that you use to keep your fingers clean when you are using pastels? I noticed during the demo last sunday that your fingers were relatively clean. When I worked on my last pastel landscape, all 5 of my fingers on one hand were layered thick with green pastel. Even though I washed my hands, it took several days for the green to disappear from my fingers.
thanks for any info
ann
What kind of pastels do you use, Ann? That can make a difference.

Also, I would recommend you get something called "Gloves in a Bottle" - looks kind of like hand lotion. You rub it on your hands and it creates a barrier, allowing you to wash the pastels off more easily, and also should be safer for your hands. I got some at DakotaPastels.com.

Tarlo
03-16-2011, 01:02 AM
Thank you Johannes. It was a totally new experience watching the Sunday demo (Monday morning here) looking forward to next weekend's viewing. I really love your watercolour style too. :clap:

hewill4giveu
03-16-2011, 01:19 AM
Being new to art i have never attended a gallery. I am visiting Jackson hole Wyoming for three days. I met Eric Wilcox today the son of Jim Wilcox. We had a lovely conversation he was so nice and friendly. He shared about the friendship with the Vloothuis family. The visit to the Gallery was priceless. The paintings are as Johannes has said so much more in person than on line. I was amazed at the beautifull paintings. It would be worth your while to visit them if you get the chance. I hope to go and see one of Clyde Aspevigs pictures tomarrow in town, at another gallery. Thank you Johannes what a wonderfull new world has been open to me. I also love the fact you repeat things over in your lessons. I'm finding it helps so much to re-enforce the things i need to remember. I no longer look at paintings i see anywhere with out thinking hum, melodic line, cloning, train track, soup bowl, values ,masses. Your repeating helps me to not have to refer to notes as i paint it is becoming in grained in my mind. Thanks Teresa

tuscanni
03-16-2011, 01:52 AM
What kind of pastels do you use, Ann? That can make a difference.

Also, I would recommend you get something called "Gloves in a Bottle" - looks kind of like hand lotion. You rub it on your hands and it creates a barrier, allowing you to wash the pastels off more easily, and also should be safer for your hands. I got some at DakotaPastels.com.
hi sherry....thanks for replying to my post and for your suggestion. Makes very good sense to me.
In my newest pastel landscape, the one that gave me green fingers, I used nupastels first, but they didnt get my fingers very dirty. Its the senneliers that really dirtied my fingers. I thought senneliers were a good pastel. What is your opinion on that brand? Do you think they are quality professional or just medium quality. I cant afford to buy unisons, even though they look yummy to work with. I have spent the last 2 years building up my pastel palette. At first I bought a wide array of pastel pencils and then bought a big set of nupastels and just recently bought the sennelier 1/2 stick 120 pc assortment. I wish I could afford to buy one of those 500 piece pastel sets, but thats not in my budget. NOt until I become a famous artist hehehehe Hey, a woman can dream cant she :)
Let me know what ya think...I will check into Gloves IN a bottle
ANN

Johannes Instructor
03-16-2011, 06:45 AM
And tweaked morehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2011/135220-Strolling_along_Oregon_Coast.jpg

Johannes Instructor
03-16-2011, 06:50 AM
thanks for any info
ann
I use baby wipes. I try to avoid some of the staining colors and the hues and deeps. You can use popcorn styrofoam to blend so you don't get your fingers dusty. Especially it collects underneath the nails.

Johannes Instructor
03-16-2011, 06:52 AM
Being new to art i have never attended a gallery. I am visiting Jackson hole Wyoming for three days. I met Eric Wilcox today the son of Jim Wilcox. We had a lovely conversation he was so nice and friendly. He shared about the friendship with the Vloothuis family. The visit to the Gallery was priceless. The paintings are as Johannes has said so much more in person than on line. I was amazed at the beautifull paintings. It would be worth your while to visit them if you get the chance. I hope to go and see one of Clyde Aspevigs pictures tomarrow in town, at another gallery. Thank you Johannes what a wonderfull new world has been open to me. I also love the fact you repeat things over in your lessons. I'm finding it helps so much to re-enforce the things i need to remember. I no longer look at paintings i see anywhere with out thinking hum, melodic line, cloning, train track, soup bowl, values ,masses. Your repeating helps me to not have to refer to notes as i paint it is becoming in grained in my mind. Thanks Teresa
There are three Aspevig's in Legacy Gallery. If they are not on display ask someone to bring them out from the back.

elisamaria
03-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Johannes, thank you so much inviting me into your beautiful world "singing (in) after the rain":music: I stood there in the middle of the path listening to the music. So much feeling ,just a harmonious color sympfony! Happy and thankful feelings.

For me, once again Johannes your pastel demo was sooo instructive where so much what you have teached verbally, in wriring, drawing, photoshops, critique lessons, book recommendations. Where do I find these kinds of lessons elsewhere, except right here with Johannes??? How can I thank you, my dear teacher, your excellent supporting team F&W, WC, Judy, Ken Robert and of course all Wet Canvas friends that this "cyberart school" was born. THANK YOU ALL! I enjoued the demo and what a wonderful result.:heart:

Elisabeth

sherrysherman
03-16-2011, 09:30 AM
hi sherry....thanks for replying to my post and for your suggestion. Makes very good sense to me.
In my newest pastel landscape, the one that gave me green fingers, I used nupastels first, but they didnt get my fingers very dirty. Its the senneliers that really dirtied my fingers. I thought senneliers were a good pastel. What is your opinion on that brand? Do you think they are quality professional or just medium quality. I cant afford to buy unisons, even though they look yummy to work with. I have spent the last 2 years building up my pastel palette. At first I bought a wide array of pastel pencils and then bought a big set of nupastels and just recently bought the sennelier 1/2 stick 120 pc assortment. I wish I could afford to buy one of those 500 piece pastel sets, but thats not in my budget. NOt until I become a famous artist hehehehe Hey, a woman can dream cant she :)
Let me know what ya think...I will check into Gloves IN a bottle
ANN
I'm not surprised-- Senneliers are pretty soft, and the softer they are, the more the pigment dusts off on your hands. Senneliers are very good. I have some and like them a lot; their main problem seems to be some fragility.

The Nupastels are one of the "hard" soft pastels (referring to all dry pastels as "soft," they range from very soft, soft, medium, and hard). Johannes mentioned that he mostly uses Rembrandts, which are medium. Your Sennelier set of 120 piece assortment gets you a good range to start. Beyond that, rather than spring for a "full" set, which will include a lot of colors you'll never use, keep an eye out for sales. And buy one or a few as you discover a need.

Even with Rembrandts my hands get dirty, but it's nothing like what the Terry Ludwigs do! (Very soft) I do use some wet wipes every now and then, and I wear a smock that I wipe my fingers on, but mostly when they get too contaminated, I wash them and start again. :)

For more info about what pastels people like and why, go check out the Pastel Forum right here on WetCanvas. And if a question about the medium isn't answered, just ask. Very helpful group.

Yabut
03-16-2011, 09:38 AM
I said I was itching to start the homework, but once I decided on a picture and redesigned it, etc, I found myself hesitating. Procrastinating is more like it. This morning I have a clearer idea of what's holding me back. I'm scared.

Okay, here's the deal. It took me a long time to be able to see well enough to start to actually be able to duplicate at least some of what is directly in front of me....in a photograph. I can see where the shadows fall. I can see where the highlights are, and now, I can finally manage to duplicate that, I think. But now that I've redesigned the photo to paint, and decided where the various values will land on my painting, I know I will have to do a lot of inventing in the scene I've chosen. I highly doubt my skill level is up to that challenge. However, now that I know why I'm hesitating, I know I will do the painting as a learning exercise. Whether it ends up worth sharing here or not remains to be seen. All this reminded me of a blog post I wrote not long ago, called, "What's Stopping You?" It might help some others get started too. You can find it at http://otherrambles.blogspot.com/2011/01/whats-stopping-you.html

Karen

Ruthie57
03-16-2011, 12:05 PM
And tweaked morehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2011/135220-Strolling_along_Oregon_Coast.jpg

Johannes, time to leave this alone now :wink2: It's beautiful!

susanc
03-16-2011, 12:21 PM
And tweaked more
Are you tweaking the photo reproduction to get the colors more representative of the original, or tweaking the painting itself? :o

artastic
03-16-2011, 01:33 PM
I use baby wipes. I try to avoid some of the staining colors and the hues and deeps. You can use popcorn styrofoam to blend so you don't get your fingers dusty. Especially it collects underneath the nails.

good hints, I too have the dusty finger syndrome
also , since I missed the demo, what is your substrate?
I like using suede matte, and not fond of mi-tentes, tho many like it

Johannes Instructor
03-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Are you tweaking the photo reproduction to get the colors more representative of the original, or tweaking the painting itself? :o

I usually tweak both. Just as photos cannot be trusted for landscapes they also distort your painting.

winecountry
03-16-2011, 05:31 PM
tweaking makes a real difference...gets more lovely each time

northbank
03-17-2011, 01:04 AM

OH WOW!!!!!! STUNNING! It's funny as I live in Oregon I could not figure out why on earth you'd have chosen such an awful image when we have so much beauty here......I am now humbled. I will see so much potential now in the "ordinary" places.

Ruthie57
03-17-2011, 04:25 AM
OH WOW!!!!!! STUNNING! It's funny as I live in Oregon I could not figure out why on earth you'd have chosen such an awful image when we have so much beauty here......I am now humbled. I will see so much potential now in the "ordinary" places.

My eyes are being opened too! I've always looked for beautiful photos with a real emotional pull. Now I see that there is beauty in many mundane looking scenes. It is our job as artists to give that beauty expression.

Colorix
03-17-2011, 06:40 AM
The sheer look is lovely! Canson MiTeintes doesn't take that many layers, so in a way pastels on C looks like watercolour would look if it could be worked the same-ish way.

The very best part of the lesson the demo gave me was that you took a photo with some good stuff and some that needed changing (and of an 'ordinary' pleasant spot) -- and transformed it to a painting filled with beauty.

I just read something that amounts to: Beauty isn't in the eye of the beholder -- it is in the mind of the artist.

Colorix
03-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Conversation with Robert (all quotes are Robert's words):

Most of the principles are very old, at least from the Renaissance onwards. Not only 'old', but Timeless, as they are a truth! What should be taught as the basics of sound painting.

Isn't it marvellous that some artists have persevered in preserving this knowledge, and to expand on it! Johannes is not only a good teacher, but he teaches us -- for free! -- in order to give onward the knowledge, so it doesn't die out. Enriching the legacy of all humanity.

To my understanding, what the impressionists really did was to explore how to paint light with the new brightly coloured pigments. And, which is less known, to use photography for composition (not always successfully). Sometimes they didn't pay so much attention to fundamentals of design (some of them), but focused solely on light and colour. It is amazing how far something new in art can be taken so very rapidly.

It's more that "photo" stands for "truth" in the popular mind.

Great observation, Robert! I'll borrow that idea. I think you nailed it!

Green is one of them. I'm beginning to get the feeling that less is more - that if I want the bright spring yellow greens to be the meaning of the painting, I will need to stage them carefully with plenty of violet and some muted colors to make them shine where they'll pack the most punch.

A little goes a very long way. If we 'colour addicts' want to keep up the vibration, broken colour and optical mixing will suffuse the paintings with light. Then a few marks of acid yellow or acid green as highlights on top of the violet-rusty-bluey will make the brain see spring greens, or autumn glory.

Between your classes and studying Charlie's paintings, I'm starting to see how many high saturation paintings that give an impression of "Lots of vibrant green" actually have "Lots of vibrant colors and the green is implied half the time."

Too kind, good sir, thank you. Look, it is not always a high saturation, that which looks highly saturated. Very very often it is the broken colour that gives that impression of brightness and light. Finger blend it (pastels), and the glow dies into a nice pretty muted non-saturated mass.

The advice I got was "stay away from greens as much as you can until the final stage". Often juxtaposed marks of other colours do the trick. One thing is to think of the colour the tree gets in autumn, or when dead; evergreens get a deep glowing orangey brown, so it makes total sense to use a 'cooler' burnt umber for shadows, and a warmer ochre or siena for lights, and maybe a bit of green. And as you say, sky reflections (blue, but also greyish white from clouds, or rose, or...), water reflections, grass reflections, etc, will affect the colours.

I guess it depends a lot on your location. Where I am, what I believe to be emerald green is, when compared to paint, not that emerald at all. It has *much* more red in it (lights) or violtets/blues (shadow). Translit foliage really *is* garish in nature (it works as a coloured spotlight), but the bouncing reflected light that is most of what we see is not so bright and garish. Specks of 'garish' in the right place works, but 'garish' and 'overbright' and 'oversaturated' masses usually don't work so well.

Great challenge, and I share your belief, it can be done.

susanc
03-17-2011, 09:21 AM
I usually tweak both. Just as photos cannot be trusted for landscapes they also distort your painting.
Ah, maybe that explains why the photo of my painting doesn't look so good...though it might help some if the original looked better, too! ;)

Charlie, I hope you don't mind me eavesdropping on your conversation! :) I'm afraid I couldn't help myself! Color always grabs my attention, both in theory and in reality. Thanks for sharing that.

robertsloan2
03-17-2011, 12:27 PM

Thank you for posting it. This is gorgeous. Your tweaks improved it even more. I love the way you demonstrate this part of your process too.

As for handling my favorite garish greens, thank you for mentioning Richard Schmid. I think I'm going to have to study many painters - but I'm learning so much from Clyde Aspevig and Scott Christensen that it won't matter if I wind up applying it in different ways. And you.

One of the things I love about your teaching is that you'll distinguish which principles are general ones and which ones are personal choice. Over and over you've emphasized personal esthetics, making intuitive choices, making artistic decisions.

I think you're right about how deep the instinct to paint and to respond to beautiful paintings goes. Art is as old as humanity and as essential to being human as language. When you compare it to learning another language, that's another way to view everything.

The repetition does help too. Every round, I understand it all a bit more.

One of the coolest things about this is that I know it's lifelong. I know you're learning while you're teaching. I know Clyde Aspevig is. I know this is going to happen again and again in my life - whole new stages of consciousness . The next turn in the path of learning painting and drawing will always have beautiful surprises.

Colorix
03-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Charlie, I hope you don't mind me eavesdropping on your conversation! :) I'm afraid I couldn't help myself! Color always grabs my attention, both in theory and in reality. Thanks for sharing that.

LOL! As long as it is in a forum, the conversation is really with everyone and anyone who wants to take part.

robertsloan2
03-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Charlie, thank you for a long educational post! Your paintings are filled with green. The one on my wall sings to me of summer every time I glance up. When I look close, I do see the optical mixing, the broken color, the violets and ochres in the gorgeous greens.

Those nuts and bolts tips on getting bright green to read true in a painting are exactly what I need to do the subjects I want. Johannes's palette is absolutely great for some scenes - winters, autumn, desert scenes. There are times when I'll use his colors because that's what's right for the painting.

I goofed up on greens in a big way when I first got my Mt. Visions set and tried them on a summer lake scene. I overused them in the masses and it just did not come out right. Maybe I can salvage that painting if its composition's not too lousy though, or brush it off and try again. No sense wasting good Colourfix.

Eddypus1
03-17-2011, 12:45 PM
I agree, the tweeking really made a change. Looks fabulous! It's really important to step away and come back with fresh eyes, isn't it? Is it a good idea in plein aire painting to also take a picture of the scene you're painting that way back at the studio you aree able to tweek a little. I have found working from memory can really mess up a painting.

jmcedeno
03-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Hello everybody, I'd like to ask favor, I lost the link for the book "The Artist's Eye", I downloaded the PDF file and put it in my bookmarks so I could read it a little at a time but somehow I lost it and can't trace the post that shows the link. I'll be very appreciative for your help.

Rosemarie
03-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Jose, do a google search on ' book The Artist's Eye '. There are quite a few hits. Only you know which one you are looking for.

Valerie214
03-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Johannes,

Your painting is beautiful, well done. So far above my capabilities that I can't begin to give it the praises it deserves.

Would love to do a painting from the 10 photos you gave us, but I'm still trying to paint grass! - still trying to make my brushes do what my instruction books say I can do with it. Have done 5 paintings to date and they are a mess. Scrubbed the last one so many times I almost made a hole in the paper. Covered up a lot of mistakes with pastels! My paintings are so over-worked.

Getting a lot out of your classes. When I figure out how to actually paint I intend to put all you've taught us to good use. Thanks

karan55
03-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Hello everybody, I'd like to ask favor, I lost the link for the book "The Artist's Eye", I downloaded the PDF file and put it in my bookmarks so I could read it a little at a time but somehow I lost it and can't trace the post that shows the link. I'll be very appreciative for your help.

Is this what you wanted? This is the one I book marked. The site is in Spanish but the book is in English. http://es.scribd.com/doc/501788/Andrew-Loomis-Eye-Of-The-Painter

hewill4giveu
03-17-2011, 08:05 PM
There are three Aspevig's in Legacy Gallery. If they are not on display ask someone to bring them out from the back.

I didnt think i would get to see clydes work however our road to home was closed so we stayed another day. Im sooo glad we did too. I not only seen clydes picture but Scott Christiansons picture also. Scotts work is quite different i must say not a lot of detail at all very interesting. Of coarse Clydes was beautifull melting snow scene. I went to the other Wilcox gallery Jeff was busy so i didnt stay long he was preparing a room to be sheet rocked. I didnt want to hold him up. The sun came out and i was able to get pictures of some of the tetons, altho some still had alot of blowing snow. Came across some big horn sheep and two wolves were lerking around. I think the cars saved the elk the wolves run. Wonderfull day.

firesignart
03-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Nice tweaks, really opens it up!

RSBell
03-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi Johannes
I am inpressed by the soft pastel like quality of this painting. I prefer to use acrylics for my paintings but am not getting the soft look you have accomplished. Can you give me advise on how you do this.
Randy Bell

jmcedeno
03-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Jose, do a google search on ' book The Artist's Eye '. There are quite a few hits. Only you know which one you are looking for.
Thank you Rosemary, I founded it and saved it.

Rosemarie
03-18-2011, 01:23 PM
You are welcome! Is it an address/link you want to share?

Johannes Instructor
03-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Hi Johannes
I am inpressed by the soft pastel like quality of this painting. I prefer to use acrylics for my paintings but am not getting the soft look you have accomplished. Can you give me advise on how you do this.
Randy Bell
This question coud not have come at a more perfect time. This weekend the class will be about edges and Sunday I will be web cam demonstrating the long awaited brushwork in watercolor, oils and acrylics. It will deal with how to blend colors and soften edges in all those three mediums.

LynnM
03-18-2011, 04:35 PM
That's super, so necessary!

I posted this in the question and answer thread, but probably should have been here:
Had a fascinating evening last night, went to see a presentation by the Waddington's of their project 'Following in the Footsteps of the Group of Seven' (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/whatson/article/830767--mapping-the-footsteps-of-the-group-of-seven). For those not on this continent, these artists are our iconic Canadian landscape interpreters. The Waddingtons have spent their spare time in the last 35 years tracing locations where the group painted, and taking photos of the scenes that they painted as they are now. You can see clearly where the painters had altered the hills and lakes to make a better painting, a wonderful lesson in 'intensification', as the Waddingtons term it. They are bringing out a book telling their story this summer, something to watch for.

susanc
03-18-2011, 06:24 PM
I didnt think i would get to see clydes work however our road to home was closed so we stayed another day. Im sooo glad we did too. I not only seen clydes picture but Scott Christiansons picture also. Scotts work is quite different i must say not a lot of detail at all very interesting. Of coarse Clydes was beautifull melting snow scene. I went to the other Wilcox gallery Jeff was busy so i didnt stay long he was preparing a room to be sheet rocked. I didnt want to hold him up. The sun came out and i was able to get pictures of some of the tetons, altho some still had alot of blowing snow. Came across some big horn sheep and two wolves were lerking around. I think the cars saved the elk the wolves run. Wonderfull day.
:envy: ! Seeing Jim Wilcox, Clyde Aspevig and Scott Christensen paintings! Lucky you! I'm just stuck here staring at my own painting. (Mine doesn't look too bad...from a distance. Definitely no comparison to what you got to see!) Hope you had an easy trip home.

robertsloan2
03-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Johannes, I am so excited now about tomorrow's class. That's going to be a delight. Especially in acrylics - well, all of those mediums actually! The one that getting softer edges in is easy is pastels. But in pastel it's sometimes tricky to get a clean hard edge.

I found a quote online that made me think of everything I'm learning in this class.

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~Scott Adams

Johannes Instructor
03-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Johannes, I am so excited now about tomorrow's class. That's going to be a delight. Especially in acrylics - well, all of those mediums actually! The one that getting softer edges in is easy is pastels. But in pastel it's sometimes tricky to get a clean hard edge.

I found a quote online that made me think of everything I'm learning in this class.

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~Scott Adams
Thats right Robert I will make a comparison of mediums as far as how they cooperate with edges and I will mention that pastels do make it tough to get a crisp hard edge. However if the line is straight you can place a sheet of paper to avoid the chalk from going into the adjacent area. This would work for example with the wall of a building.

hewill4giveu
03-18-2011, 08:24 PM
:envy: ! Seeing Jim Wilcox, Clyde Aspevig and Scott Christensen paintings! Lucky you! I'm just stuck here staring at my own painting. (Mine doesn't look too bad...from a distance. Definitely no comparison to what you got to see!) Hope you had an easy trip home.

Made it home safe and sound now to rest and get busy painting. Nothing like seeing beautiful paintings to get ya in the mood. Only regret i had is i left my camera on and the battery was dead and OH the pictures i could have got on the way home. Not happy with myself. Roads were perfect and sun out. Wonderfull get away only thing with Jackson hole is you better bring plenty of money for food Yikes expensive.

Dougwas
03-18-2011, 08:36 PM
I am looking forward to this weekends demo. Having just taken up acrylics, I will be watching carefully and trying to absorb all the information.

Doug

BumpaBob
03-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Johannes:
Will you be covering the same basic topics on both Saturday and Sunday? I will be away on Sat. p.m. so will miss what will be an important session. Thanks....bob.c

Johannes Instructor
03-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Johannes:
Will you be covering the same basic topics on both Saturday and Sunday? I will be away on Sat. p.m. so will miss what will be an important session. Thanks....bob.c
No both classes will be different. I suggest you mark the lesson as number 15 & 16 so you can download the lesson from Artistsnetwork

robertsloan2
03-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Johannes, I have to thank you again for the concept of value mass thumbnails and everything else you've taught me. I haven't finished my homework painting yet. I had to prime it before I could paint and by the time the last coat of primer was dry, it was almost sunset.

That also gave me some hours of studying my sketch with wet primer on it, looking for things I might have to change. My confidence grows every time I do. I've gotten comments on the WIP thread already. Most were that I have a good composition.

That blows me away. I can't wait till it's bright enough to work on it again and hope I don't get sick tomorrow morning, because this one could be one of the best paintings I've done in my life. Thank you.

Arantxa
03-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Hi Robert, I totally agree with you. I feel aswell much more confident to face a new painting. It is as we are empowered, we know (or start to know) what we are doing and why. Before, I thought of all those value sketches to be a nuisance and waste of time. Johannes has made it soooo clear, it all makes sense.
Super-gracias for your class notes. I missed the December classes (what a big lost!) and your notes have been extremely helpful. Color is my next issue to face, a bit "at chance" at the moment.
Looking forward to seeing your painting and keep in touch with all of you in WC. Fantastico!!!!

robertsloan2
03-19-2011, 01:00 PM
This morning I have to remind myself of something, while my homework painting is in progress. I thought I'd share it because I might not be the only one becoming hyper self critical and nervous by way of developing new critical faculties.

This is a homework assignment. I could learn more by completely botching it and having it analyzed in class than by having it come out perfect. It just needs to be finished so Johannes can tell what I'm doing.

If I botch it completely, I've ruined a piece of paper, board or canvas that could be gessoed and repainted.

I can use my photo of the sketch, open the references again and repeat this painting in a different style or medium. Even if I like my results, it could come out just as beautiful in watercolor or pastels.

If I don't finish before class, I can still finish and post it when it's done. Life happens.

I will not let the family dogs eat my homework, the pigments would be bad for them. Finished or not it can stay here in Cat Central where the dogs aren't allowed.

I will wash my cat's feet if he treads on it, whether he likes it or not.

sherrysherman
03-19-2011, 01:27 PM
This morning I have to remind myself of something, while my homework painting is in progress. I thought I'd share it because I might not be the only one becoming hyper self critical and nervous by way of developing new critical faculties.

This is a homework assignment. I could learn more by completely botching it and having it analyzed in class than by having it come out perfect. It just needs to be finished so Johannes can tell what I'm doing.

If I botch it completely, I've ruined a piece of paper, board or canvas that could be gessoed and repainted.

I can use my photo of the sketch, open the references again and repeat this painting in a different style or medium. Even if I like my results, it could come out just as beautiful in watercolor or pastels.

If I don't finish before class, I can still finish and post it when it's done. Life happens.

I will not let the family dogs eat my homework, the pigments would be bad for them. Finished or not it can stay here in Cat Central where the dogs aren't allowed.

I will wash my cat's feet if he treads on it, whether he likes it or not.
Good set of reminders, Robert! (Especially the bit about pigments being bad for your animals to eat.)

It might not be comfortable but it sure is beneficial to have Johannes point out all the areas where you...um..."botched" it (and didn't see it yourself!). :rolleyes:

jfwalton
03-19-2011, 01:57 PM
These are my designs for the painting and the bottom is my final sketch.And the final painting. Had trouble keeping the mid tones dark enough.

jfwalton
03-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Evidently the images did not come through.

hewill4giveu
03-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Johannes I Cannot Type Questions To The Webinar Either And I Have Windows It Was There But Now Its Gone

susanc
03-19-2011, 02:14 PM
The webinar is fixed now! Thanks!

Rosemarie
03-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Hi!
I only have done the drawing on the wc paper. I've learnt a new English word, procrastination! Sums me up! ;)

pixieartist
03-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Hi all,
Robertsloan2: Thanks so much for the reminder re: doesn't matter if homework is done, or not perfect. I have to go to my place to download photos, and looks like the time has slipped away again on me. (I've been here at work since Mar 10 and will be until Mar 24)
We had a power outage last Wed. am (the 16th), and I had the demo photo ready to get at on the screen of the computer, so, when the power came back on about 4 hours later, all the ready to do stuff had...Disappeared!!!, so I've been usung Johannes actual demo painting as a small guide, and trying to paint from memory the photo I saw Tues am and pm. I guess I rely on photos a whole lot, because I sure miss that photo. At any rate, my pastel is slowly coming along. Hoping I have followed 'all the rules!!' on what we are supposed to be remembering. Sure missing the actual demo, as it would have been the listening part that I am craving. Guess I learn by sight and hearing!!! Also doing!! So, the downloading/uploading, whatever it is I have to do to show you all my work will have to be after the weekend sometime.
JOHANNES: Thanks for doing these classes. I am learning as much as I can. Also borrowed Carlson's Landscaping book from the library, and have ordered my own which might be in next week or the week after!!. 'Talk' to you soon....Pixieartist

jfwalton
03-19-2011, 03:21 PM
my painting, The photo is rather dark. I had trouble keeping the mid-tones dark enough.

jfwalton
03-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Hope this is clearer.

jfwalton
03-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Try again

susanc
03-19-2011, 04:54 PM
These are the links for Clyde Aspevig at Christie's:
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...1-b7673be8315c

Johannes added that you should "make sure you click on "enlarge" and you will see Clyde Aspevig's brushstrokes and texture. Notice the predominant mid value in those paintings."

jfwalton
03-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Better photo

firesignart
03-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the lost and found edges info, just what I needed.
Here is the link to the Princess and the Frog on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQBy6jqbmlU

susanc
03-19-2011, 05:23 PM
:oThese are the links for Clyde Aspevig at Christie's:

Johannes added that you should "make sure you click on "enlarge" and you will see Clyde Aspevig's brushstrokes and texture. Notice the predominant mid value in those paintings."
Sorry! For some reason, these links aren't working now even though I tested the first one and it worked fine! Using the links found in the following post might work out better?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12921612&postcount=58

spudsmom
03-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Thank you for a wonderful lesson today. I needed to understand the soft edge / hard edge and it makes perfectly good sense now. As I recede into the background I need to soften.

The chat window shut down near the end of the soft/hard edges presentation.

Off to paint some....

karan55
03-19-2011, 06:26 PM
I have had a very difficult time going from my thumbnail sketch straight to the watercolor paper. I ended up spending many hours working on a scaled up drawing just to work on composition..melodic lines and abstract shapes. My drawing skills are NOT nearly as good as what you do with the computer mouse. Am I too concerned about getting it right before I start painting? If I was doing oils I would not be as worried. Do you have any advice or is this just something I need to practice on before it will come easier? Thanks for the idea of drawing on the canvas with pastels....can't wait to try it! Maybe I should have done this in oils. I now have a drawing on the watercolor paper so I will see what comes; as another artist once told me "Its just a piece of paper.".

One good thing about spending all week drawing...is that now I have this weekends lesson on edges.....WOW! I really got the big AH HAH moments today......hopefully this saves me from making all those mistakes as well!!!

Thank you so much Johannes! for your kind and generous gift of time and knowledge;it means so much to me!!!!!!

Johannes Instructor
03-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Here is the link to the Princess and the Frog on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQBy6jqbmlU
That's the trailer only

Johannes Instructor
03-19-2011, 06:59 PM
I have had a very difficult time going from my thumbnail sketch straight to the watercolor paper. I ended up spending many hours working on a scaled up drawing just to work on composition..melodic lines and abstract shapes. My drawing skills are NOT nearly as good as what you do with the computer mouse. Am I too concerned about getting it right before I start painting? If I was doing oils I would not be as worried. Do you have any advice or is this just something I need to practice on before it will come easier? Thanks for the idea of drawing on the canvas with pastels....can't wait to try it! Maybe I should have done this in oils. I now have a drawing on the watercolor paper so I will see what comes; as another artist once told me "Its just a piece of paper.".

One good thing about spending all week drawing...is that now I have this weekends lesson on edges.....WOW! I really got the big AH HAH moments today......hopefully this saves me from making all those mistakes as well!!!

Thank you so much Johannes! for your kind and generous gift of time and knowledge;it means so much to me!!!!!!

That's right. Watercolor painting will demand we get the drawing right from the beginning. In other mediums we can improvise.

jfwalton
03-19-2011, 07:14 PM
I have always had trouble converting my value sketch to my color painting. This past year I have learned to do a value sketch before painting. Your webinar has greatly improved my understanding of this and also abstract shapes. I always knew you couldn't paint it like it is but now I am sure my paintings will get better with all this knowledge. Thanks so much to you, Johannes and all of you who make it possible.:wave:

Johannes Instructor
03-19-2011, 07:26 PM
[quote=jfwalton]I have always had trouble converting my value sketch to my color painting. This past year I have learned to do a value sketch before painting. Your webinar has greatly improved my understanding of this and also abstract shapes. I always knew you couldn't paint it like it is but now I am sure my paintings will get better with all this knowledge. Thanks so much to you, Johannes and all of you who make it possible.:wave:[/quote
An easy way to do that is make a 9 square tic tac to on your thumbnail. Now do the same to your painting. Then draw what you see in each of the 9 squares separately.

firesignart
03-19-2011, 07:32 PM
(darn I thought I found an easy way to watch the movie. )

CatinVT
03-19-2011, 07:49 PM

I actually rented it this evening. I have every intention of watching it tomorrow morning, with a bowl of cereal in hand :)

CatinVT
03-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Thank you, Johannes, for sharing your knowledge with focus and humor. I really wish I had learned about this last year. But the past three weeks have been amazing, and I know there is so much reference material here I can put things that I've missed together with a little time and patience.

I have been painting, though not quite ready to post. I am self-taught and still have much to learn. The small paintings I've been doing are improving, and I am slowly gathering up my courage to post.

I do have a question, which I wanted to ask you at the end of the session, but I was late for dinner. There were crayons on the table at the restaurant. I drew a little, incorporating some of what we've learned over the past few weeks. My partner was a photographer before he did a career change. He's now teaching kids with special needs. He was totally intrigued with the principles you've discussed, and totally "got" the concepts. The eye of the camera is VERY different than the the eyes in our head. That's what has really hit home for me.

Anyway, I am digressing. What I wanted to know is if it makes sense to set up a small painting space...to maybe follow you tomorrow? Or should I just chill, take notes, and absorb the lecture?

Again...thank you...and I will post something soon.
Cathy

Kumquat
03-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Johannes, thank you once again for so generously and unselfishly sharing your knowledge with the rest of us. Few (in ANY profession) would take all the time and energy you have dedicated to teach all of us so much. Many would just keep their secrets. It reminds me of an exceptional cook I knew that, when I asked her for her recipe, she said it was a secret that she wouldn't share with anyone. Anyway, you are too good at what you do to fear anyone else's success. I can't believe you are doing this for free. I hope you eventually compile it all into a book that we can purchase. I would love to buy an autographed one to add to my art book collection. Books are wonderfully portable and cozy. I hope you consider doing this, since you have done so much of the work already, just with all the writing done for the handouts and online screens.
Thank you again for your candid generosity.
Marsha

firesignart
03-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Okay I found it on www.motionempire.com (http://motionempire.com) I will give it a try tonight too!

susanc
03-19-2011, 08:54 PM
My teenager, who feels too mature for anything Disney, got pulled in and sat down by me to watch it. Fun assignment--think I'll redo my homework and watch it again sometime! :)

I forgot to mention, my husband, who has no art background whatsoever, finds himself pulled in to listen to Johannes if he happens to be around while Johannes is teaching. So we've been able to talk over some art concepts--I love it! Thanks...

Ruth04
03-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Johannes:
I just want to tell you: thank you very much!! I can hardly write in English. Blessings

He aprendido muchísimo en sus clases, gracias por toda la valiosa información que ha compartido.

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 12:06 AM
My teenager, who feels too mature for anything Disney, got pulled in and sat down by me to watch it. Fun assignment--think I'll redo my homework and watch it again sometime! :)

I forgot to mention, my husband, who has no art background whatsoever, finds himself pulled in to listen to Johannes if he happens to be around while Johannes is teaching. So we've been able to talk over some art concepts--I love it! Thanks...
Hey we can add that onto this. These web classes bring families together. LOL I understand you hubby. The content is intellectual and as such its sophistication is interesting.

susanc
03-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Now if only I could get him to whisk me away to Jackson Hole, like Teresa and her husband did... :) Wait--I forgot, he sounded very interested when I suggested to him that next year he and Josh could hike the Tetons while I was taking a workshop from Johannes.

BeeMcD
03-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Johannes,
Thanks so much for sharing your tips and tricks. I've learned so much over the last few weeks and look forward to working on my paintings with new eyes.
I was just wondering if you might be able to demonstrate a landscape painting with buildings in it so we can see how the theories apply to architecture.

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Johannes,
Thanks so much for sharing your tips and tricks. I've learned so much over the last few weeks and look forward to working on my paintings with new eyes.
I was just wondering if you might be able to demonstrate a landscape painting with buildings in it so we can see how the theories apply to architecture.
I would like to give a whole course on buildings. That is one of my specialties.

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Today, Sunday shortly after 3 PM EST (Eastern Standard Time) Johannes will give a live demo on how to soften edges. By the same token he will give common brushstrokes used in oils, acrylics and watercolor as well as paint mixing secrets. You don’t want to miss this long awaited class.
We will meet in the web class “Gotowebinar” window as always and from there we flock over to the live webcam. The gotomeeting room will be closed after 3:20 PM EST after Johannes addresses a few concepts. Don’t be concerned if you cannot get in the gotomeeting webinar after 3:20 PM.
To see the video demo click on this link:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wetcanvaslive

The screen will ask you for a password. Type in “pigment” (without the “). Make sure you use small letters.

You can also use the zoom option to increase the size of your video which you will find in internet explorer under “page” and in firefox under “view”.
Also there is an option at the bottom right to make the video full screen. This you can also do if you find the chat window to be annoying or if you want to see full screen. By making it full screen the chat window disappears. You can toggle back and forth if you wish to see the chat while the video is playing.

You will be able to text chat but there will more than 1000 people watching today. We beg you to use the chat window for questions only. Kenneth will be reading important questions out loud and will have a lot of problems if we use that window for general chat. The screen will move too fast. Please type your questions in CAPITAL LETTERS for easy detection.

If you want to chat you will have to create a user name. If you don’t want to chat and only read then it won’t be necessary.

If for any reason during the demo you lose audio or video refresh the screen. If that doesn’t work close your browser and rerun it. If that doesn’t work reboot your computer. There is nothing we can do to solve your audio or video it as long as everyone else is getting streaming video and audio but it would be wise to close down all other programs.

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 12:22 PM
I had this posted in the wrong thread :( .... but grabbed it in time. :) So I'm putting it here because I really want Johannes to see my thanks.

... I do feel the class on edges came out real clear. Now if all my paintings came out like that too.
Johannes, you are right, the class on edges was terrific. When I saw the handout I knew it was going to be a good one! Your examples in the class just made it better.

I wasn't clear on all of the kinds of edges and when to use them, especially in combination with other kinds. Now I REALLY want to go back to some of my earlier paintings and mess with those edges!

And I love critique sessions. In the early 2000's for a while I took some weekly classes in landscape, mostly plein air, and the best part was at the end of every class when the instructor had us line up our pieces. Then he, with class participation, would comment on each one, what was working, what would help. Very helpful. So I definitely found the first hour of your class valuable as well.

And finally, I feel honored that you unmuted me for some time before the class! I would love to sit and chat with you in person or wander galleries with you (but Denver's a bit of a distance from Hamilton :) ). As for any help I offer here, I certainly am not the only one. It is a generous group -- we all "follow our leader" in that!

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 12:27 PM
I had this posted in the wrong thread :( .... but grabbed it in time. :) So I'm putting it here because I really want Johannes to see my thanks.

Johannes, you are right, the class on edges was terrific. When I saw the handout I knew it was going to be a good one! Your examples in the class just made it better.

I wasn't clear on all of the kinds of edges and when to use them, especially in combination with other kinds. Now I REALLY want to go back to some of my earlier paintings and mess with those edges!

And I love critique sessions. In the early 2000's for a while I took some weekly classes in landscape, mostly plein air, and the best part was at the end of every class when the instructor had us line up our pieces. Then he, with class participation, would comment on each one, what was working, what would help. Very helpful. So I definitely found the first hour of your class valuable as well.

And finally, I feel honored that you unmuted me for some time before the class! I would love to sit and chat with you in person or wander galleries with you (but Denver's a bit of a distance from Hamilton :) ). As for any help I offer here, I certainly am not the only one. It is a generous group -- we all "follow our leader" in that!
Sure Sherry. It is very probable I go to the West again for some time in the summer and I would be driving up from the South towards Jackson Hole. Rocky Mountain National Park is on my list of plein air stops. Specifically Dillon, CO. If this materializes we can meet.

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Sure Sherry. It is very probable I go to the West again for some time in the summer and I would be driving up from the South towards Jackson Hole. Rocky Mountain National Park is on my list of plein air stops. Specifically Dillon, CO. If this materializes we can meet.
That would be terrific! (I recommend you avoid the 4th of July in RMNP!)

pixieartist
03-20-2011, 03:27 PM
So, I signed into Ustream, it 'said' I was on/connected. I could see the clock in the screen, plus hear you on the webinar!!! The webinar closed so I clicked ok on it, and shortly after, the Ustream was turned off. Now I can hear you, so I'll have to get back to that screen (Ustream) Thanks, Pixieartist

lonelm
03-20-2011, 04:31 PM
This helped me in the ustream session using both a mac and a pc on two different connections

For the webinars. Next week a few things that worked for me and I was running a mac and a pc at the same time on separate connections. CLose the full window and use the imbedded one in the ustream page showing next to the chat window, without increasing the size. It is quite watchable on a laptop. Close all other applications. Right click on the video and select the Settings option. This little window will open

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2011/212898-screen-capture.jpg

Selet the player settings tab which is the folder with the green arrow along the bottom and bump it a

wetbob
03-20-2011, 04:43 PM
just before ustream starts you can right click your mouse on vid screen and choose low quality

Ruth04
03-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I was not lucky today, my connection has failed from the start, I followed the advice given, but even so the reception failed . I am sad because I lost the demostration......But always, Thanks Johannes.!!!

kittierue
03-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Judy,
didn't really help, but thanks for all your efforts! Please have Johannes post the homework assignment. Looks like most of the US contingent had nothing but problems. About time, we haven't suffered much so far...

Kittie

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Judy,
didn't really help, but thanks for all your efforts! Please have Johannes post the homework assignment. Looks like most of the US contingent had nothing but problems. About time, we haven't suffered much so far...

Kittie
Oh, so THAT was the issue! LOL. Who knew?

Or maybe others had problems too, we're just the loudest whiners? Maybe we need to start a new thread, "Whining about lousy connection on the webcam." Then we can all commiserate and anyone who doesn't want to read it can just not go there. :wink2:

pixieartist
03-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi Johannes, :) Thankyou for a good demo today.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: YES...I got IN!!!!:thumbsup: No luck with the chat part for asking questions, but that is what this thread is for anyway!!! I tried to paint along with your demo!!:angel: Was a bit awkward, so I just watched and wrote notes!!!:angel: There were a couples times where the sound and video cut out, but with waiting it out, the system sorted itself out and the video carried on!!! :thumbsup: (I am so proud of myself for not freaking out!!!):lol: :lol: :lol:
I have some acrylics, plus I bought a bottle of Acrylic Glazing Liguid (gloss) which extends the open time of acrylic colors. I had 'poured'/'squirted' it onto each of the paint 'puddles' on my palette, usually before I mixed the colors etc. The last time I did this, I was out of town. So I get back home in Sept. and after Christmas...Feb??? I open up the palette. Looked like everything was dried, which I expected, only a few of the colors were still tacky, as the glazing liquid had sat on top, and stayed tacky as well!!! Should I have mixed this glazing liquid into the paint? After that length of time, I just peeled/wiped/scraped everything off, so that I would be set to do the next painting!!! The glazing liquid was almost like a protective barrier, and wouldn't mix in anyway. (I am quite new to acrylic painting...took 3 summers to do a comissioned painting as I was visiting when they asked. Worked out quite well, and we both are happy with the results!!! Their family dog was 13 and passed away a few months after the first summer.:crying: )
Also, I am not sure on whether or not to 'seal'/varnish (whatever???) the acrylic painting...Is it necessary??? And, if so,what do I use? Thanks for all your help. "Talk' to you soon, and looking forward to next weekend!!:) Pixieartist:wave:

jmcedeno
03-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Johannes, I learned today about techniques in Watercolor, Acrylic, and Oil that never learned in many workshops and books, I'm sorry didn't, get to Pastel because I was cut off from the air. I had no problems with sound and images from the start of the demo but the problem came just as you were doing the oil demo.
Did I miss the Pastel demo ?

DeboraM
03-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Water-based oils and brush cleaning:
I took a class in water-based oils and the instructor showed us how to keep our brushes super clean with them. We used W&N Artisan paints. This method will not only keep your brushes clean, but is easy on your sink drains and the environment.
First - you use a 3-container system. One large container half filled with clear water, and a double container (two margarine tubs duct taped together works well). One side you put in no more than 1/2" of water plus a generous squirt of Sunlight dish soap. The other side you fill/stuff with crumpled paper towels.
Next - you need a BAR of Sunlight laundry soap.
Method: To clean your brushes as you work, ALWAYS use the soapy water in the double container FIRST to clean off the majority of paint, and rub vigorously in the paper towels - repeat until clean. THEN you can finish off with the clear water in the large container. When finished your painting session, take the paper towels and soak up the water in the other half of the double tub system and wipe it out. Then you can then either throw them away if really dirty, or reuse for several sessions. ONLY the water in the large container can be safely put down the sink drain, otherwise you can and will clog your drains as the paint collects on the walls of the drain pipe and can be a very costly fix.

To clean the brushes thoroughly after a painting session, scrub the wet brush on the Sunlight Bar soap and get it really coated, then scrub vigorously in your palm, and rinse in clear water. The Sunlight soap will also clean a canvas, hands, clothes, etc. Brushes will last a long, long time and are like using a brand new brush each time!

One thing though - apparently they have stopped making the Sunlight bar soap, so what is on the shelves is all there is, so get several. The instructor said that one bar of soap has lasted her for a year or so, but it doesn't hurt of have a stockpile if you can.

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Johannes, I learned today about techniques in Watercolor, Acrylic, and Oil that never learned in many workshops and books, I'm sorry didn't, get to Pastel because I was cut off from the air. I had no problems with sound and images from the start of the demo but the problem came just as you were doing the oil demo.
Jose, he spoke briefly about pastels at the beginning, on the Webinar part. He didn't say much more than is on the Handout. The demo was never intended to cover pastels. According to Johannes, it's pretty easy to get a variety of soft edges, harder to get hard edges. Go to the Pastel Forum here on WC for discussion about ways to work with edges in pastel. There is a lot of info there.

Grainne
03-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Maybe we need to start a new thread, "Whining about lousy connection on the webcam." Then we can all commiserate and anyone who doesn't want to read it can just not go there. :wink2:

Frankly, I would vote for that! :) Maybe the ones who can't get and/or keep a good connection could just come here to WetCanvas to commiserate with each other and party, or even talk out your tech problems here since there is no real point in talking about it there as it doesn't seem to solve anything.

Then the way would be clear for the questions about the demo and techniques, etc., to be asked and answered. How frustrating it must be for Ken to try to sort out the questions . . . and then there are complaints that the questions are not being answered, which isn't fair. I have no doubt that Johannes and Kenny would do their darndest to answer the questions if they could only see them. :) They have asked and asked for people to keep the chat clear!

Plus valuable time is wasted trying to explain to people that there's nothing they can do about the tech problems, and then Judy has to spend valuable time trying to edit out from the final product all the times they have to stop to address those issues during the demo.

At any given time there were between 1000 and 1100 people watching the video, but only a certain number were having problems. Obviously it's a local problem, which Johannes can do nothing about!

Everyone feels for those people who are having connection problems, but please as has been asked many times, let's keep the chat clear for learning purposes. What good does it do to keep announcing whenever you're in or you're out? And if you can't keep a connection, why keep chatting?

Just my 2 cents' worth, which I hope is taken in the spirit in which my remarks are intended. :)

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Hey I know why some of you had problems today with video. I bet some people in your house were sharing the internet. If anyone was downloading songs or music that would definitely slow down your streaming video. Next time make sure no one in your house is using the internet while except to check website or email. Bandwidth is like taps in your house if someone opens a tap elsewhere it will slow down another tap.

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 06:49 PM
There was no pastel demo because you don't need techniques for softening pastel.

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Hey I know why some of you had problems today with video. I bet some people in your house were sharing the internet. If anyone was downloading songs or music that would definitely slow down your streaming video. Next time make sure no one in your house is using the internet while except to check website or email.
Would that it was that simple, Johannes. No one else in my house was using the internet. We have dsl, and a WEP password for the wifi. I tried all the fixes, refreshed, reloaded, shut chat, cleared cookies on my browser, rebooted the browser, restarted the computer, no other apps running, no other windows even open, did Judy's suggested tricks ... tried some more than once, nothing worked. Just one of those things. I never had a problem, ever, on Justintv, but I understand some people did.

I feel less bad some some, I bet, because I am a pastelist. But I know some of the others were trying similar things and had no luck. I don't expect you to have the answer and certainly don't hold you one whit responsible, nor does anyone else. But we could (sometimes) hear what you were doing, "See that? Isn't that neat? This is a great trick" and so on, yet see nothing. And sometimes hear nothing either. So... a little frustrating. :(

You're just too popular, Johannes. :)

kittierue
03-20-2011, 06:51 PM
That's a good point, Johannes. However, broadband and dsl are WAY faster on downloads than uploads. I've not had the difficulties before today, that I experienced today. I'd bet that the ustream servers were getting pounded today, and they couldn't keep up. The way servers do it when they are overloaded is to throw data away. Many of us were getting "thrown away". Ustream probably needs to dedicate another server to your webinars in order to help provide the streaming video properly.

Just my humble opinion based on old knowledge.

elsie50
03-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Thank you so much Johannes, for another extremely interesting webinar,, I am in the UK and (touch wood) have never had any trouble logging in and watching... My husband, like others here I have read, has caught the 'Johannes bug' and now pulls his chair up and watches with me. Although he is not a painter, he points things out, hard edges, soft edges, abstract shapes and even when they should be on other peoples paintings,, Oh Whoops you have unleashed a monster Lol :wave:

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 07:09 PM
That's a good point, Johannes. However, broadband and dsl are WAY faster on downloads than uploads. I've not had the difficulties before today, that I experienced today. I'd bet that the ustream servers were getting pounded today, and they couldn't keep up. The way servers do it when they are overloaded is to throw data away. Many of us were getting "thrown away". Ustream probably needs to dedicate another server to your webinars in order to help provide the streaming video properly.

Just my humble opinion based on old knowledge.
Well good thing we didn't crash their server. LOL I wonder how many watched today

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Thank you so much Johannes, for another extremely interesting webinar,, I am in the UK and (touch wood) have never had any trouble logging in and watching... My husband, like others here I have read, has caught the 'Johannes bug' and now pulls his chair up and watches with me. Although he is not a painter, he points things out, hard edges, soft edges, abstract shapes and even when they should be on other peoples paintings,, Oh Whoops you have unleashed a monster Lol :wave:
LOL. My partner Tom doesn't watch, but he can hear from the next room.He laughs at some remarks, can be heard to utter "melodic lines!" and "monochromatic!" and other key phrases at times, and is definitely a Johannes fan now. :)

Anoella
03-20-2011, 07:12 PM
I have an older computer and it doesn't have enough memory to play the video for very long before it freezes up. Some other people may have the same problem. My Husband has a notebook and we watch the videos on that.

Leona

sherrysherman
03-20-2011, 07:43 PM
I have an older computer and it doesn't have enough memory to play the video for very long before it freezes up. Some other people may have the same problem. My Husband has a notebook and we watch the videos on that.

Leona
Mine's only a little over a year old. Had tons of problems today.

pixieartist
03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Hi Johannes, I sent a post # 120 bottom page 8, which you may have missed, but I have a couple questions there for you. Thanks, Pixieartist

oCDs01-711
03-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Strange problems today trying to get re-connected to the ustream. I don't know what happened but I remember I exited and re-entered ustream using the password and another black screen came up. Then the password box wouldn't let me type in it! I went back and forth entering and exiting, then accidently I must have hit the SEND and pop!!! there was Johannes Live. I still don't know how that happened, but I felt so fortunate. All this took me an hour, but I finally reconnected and had the most wonderful afternoon! Thank you, Johannes!

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Hi Johannes, :) Thankyou for a good demo today.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: YES...I got IN!!!!:thumbsup: No luck with the chat part for asking questions, but that is what this thread is for anyway!!! I tried to paint along with your demo!!:angel: Was a bit awkward, so I just watched and wrote notes!!!:angel: There were a couples times where the sound and video cut out, but with waiting it out, the system sorted itself out and the video carried on!!! :thumbsup: (I am so proud of myself for not freaking out!!!):lol: :lol: :lol:
I have some acrylics, plus I bought a bottle of Acrylic Glazing Liguid (gloss) which extends the open time of acrylic colors. I had 'poured'/'squirted' it onto each of the paint 'puddles' on my palette, usually before I mixed the colors etc. The last time I did this, I was out of town. So I get back home in Sept. and after Christmas...Feb??? I open up the palette. Looked like everything was dried, which I expected, only a few of the colors were still tacky, as the glazing liquid had sat on top, and stayed tacky as well!!! Should I have mixed this glazing liquid into the paint? After that length of time, I just peeled/wiped/scraped everything off, so that I would be set to do the next painting!!! The glazing liquid was almost like a protective barrier, and wouldn't mix in anyway. (I am quite new to acrylic painting...took 3 summers to do a comissioned painting as I was visiting when they asked. Worked out quite well, and we both are happy with the results!!! Their family dog was 13 and passed away a few months after the first summer.:crying: )
Also, I am not sure on whether or not to 'seal'/varnish (whatever???) the acrylic painting...Is it necessary??? And, if so,what do I use? Thanks for all your help. "Talk' to you soon, and looking forward to next weekend!!:) Pixieartist:wave:

http://painting.about.com/od/paintingforbeginners/a/varnish_why.htm

Dharma_bum
03-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Today is the first day that I had any real difficulty with the video reception. As I was alone, it was not due to others in the house using the net. I have high speed cable service, and a Mac running Snow Leopard (newest OS). Today I started out using Firefox so that I could set up a popup window to enlarge the screen. In the past I have used Safari, and it worked fine. Today I had nothing but problems with Firefox, sound and or picture frequently cutting out, though the chat window was mostly visible and working. After I switched back to Safari no more problems.

I believe there must have been something going on today to cause so many people to have so many problems, though no idea about what that might have been. The number of folks having difficulty today seemed much greater than in the past. I can see the logic that it wasn't coming from your end Johannes, but I still think something was askew, maybe with one of the servers somewhere along the line.

Once I figured how to enlarge the screen through the Finder menu (click on view, click on zoom in from the drop down menu), I see no reason to use Firefox again. Previously I have gone to full screen mode in Safari, but as I have a large screen, that degrades the picture too much. Two or three clicks on the zoom is just right to enlarge without degrading.

Dan

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 11:52 PM
I need to know of any of you had a total fluent streaming non stop video.

gardenart
03-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Johannes, I have been in on every lesson since Feb. classes started and have never had a single problem until today, I signed in early as usual.I tried both Google Chrome and Windows 7 on a new computer and still missed half the video. I finally joined UStream and had no more problems. I did stay in small screen though as I was afraid to touch anything once I was in.
And thanks bunches for all that you are doing for us. I amlearning so much and will try to get my painting done and posted this week.
Sue

BumpaBob
03-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Hi Johannes: When I had both Webinar and Ustream running at the same time, both were very slow. I logged off the Webinar site and opened up the chat line on Ustream. Then everything slowed down to a crawl: I could hear you speaking but the images were up to 4 minutes behind. You were speaking about making tree limbs but the video showed you just starting the leaf structure of the tree. So I logged in with my laptop without the chat line logged and the audio and video stayed pretty much in sync. So I left the chat running on my iMac desktop for the chat input and watched on the laptop. In fact, the sound on the desktop stayed up with that on the laptop! And both of these were running thru the same Airport Extreme and Road Runner modem. The answer for me was to watch but not run with the chat open. All in all. I can understand thee frustration, since what you were presenting was so important to all watercolorists. Thanks so much, I did get most of it bob.c

Dougwas
03-21-2011, 01:31 AM
I had no problems at all today. Sound was perfect and video was very good in full screen. I know how huge March Maddness, the NCAA basketball tounrament is in the US and this year they are pushing their online streaming of the games. This might have put a strain on the system. Just a thought that popped into my left brain.;)

Doug

Obion
03-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Hi Johannes, thank you for taking the time to teach us in your time and for free, I think some are forgetting this. I have learnt so much and now enjoy painting. Before my water colour paintings had something missing, they never look quite right to me...I now know why ... Re to-days Video: The first part on water colours was great NO problems, then in the second half I kept getting a black screen, but could still hear you ok. I did log in and out twice but it was still showing a Black screen, you would come across very clear with your painting lesson for about 1 min then lost again for about 4mins then back again a few times. So I logged out early and subsequently I missed the home work assignment. Barbara

Rosemarie
03-21-2011, 02:02 AM

Yes I had a non-stop fluent video streaming for the Edges demo.

Last time for the pastel demo I didn't. It freezed every minute for about 20 seconds. I think it has to do with the Internet traffic around our globe. I only have this one computer up with lots of RAM so it can't really be on my end the problems were. I must add that the sound worked fine all the time though!

I really wish everyone a good and fluent connection.

I also wish the chat room would stay on the art topics and not on everything else.

marionh
03-21-2011, 03:50 AM
Hi Johannes, I really appreciated your watercolour demos today. For the first time I had an insight into how to apply the paint. I've watched demos before and tried many things. In normal demos you see artists waiting for the right moment and testing their paint, but no one really explaining what it is they are looking for. I've been trying to get to grips with wc for a while, and I think this has now clarified things for me. Just need to practice.

Unfortunately I missed the oils section due to bad connections, (unfortunate as I've just started using oils) - I'm in France so see your demos in the evening. Although the first hour is OK, it gets very choppy after that. It is much better since you upgraded your system, but obviously 10pm is a popular time for internet users here :lol: It kicked me out just as the oil demo started and I couldn't get back in because the number of users were over 1100. When it went below 1000 I go back in only to find you were finishing - such is life :lol:

Can't argue with success, and I thank you for your informative sessions.

Ruthie57
03-21-2011, 05:07 AM
I had no problems for the first hour or more. After that it kept freezing so I could hear sound but just a still picture. It got so frequent that I came out while the oil demo was going on. I had worse problems in the pastel demo but, then, I also had problems with justintv.
I am nor very computer literate but I agree that it may have something to do with the number of people trying to watch and maybe other streaming videos.
Even as a pastellist I found the watercolour demo very interesting. Thanks!

Arantxa
03-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Hi everybody, until this weekend the streaming was very good but I only lost contact yesterday when everybody else did and it seemed it was at source.
What a fantastic demo! Thank you so much Johannes.

Can anybody tell me how to join the chat for questions? I tried but it kept on asking for Username and password that I thought it was the one from WC but it did not work.

About ACRYLICS, the Atelier Interactive Acrylics looses moisture gradually giving plenty of time to rework. When dry, it can be spraid to be able to blend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_OhsAAMrAk

I have not tried it but it looks the perfect combination.

bjornjo
03-21-2011, 06:32 AM
arantxa to be able to chat at ustream you need an account there aswell it took about 2 seconds to sign up and recive an email (in about your username and in case you forget your password you can get it sent) just press signup and fill in the form as you wish.

Arantxa
03-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Thank you so much bjornjo. I will do that next time.

marionh
03-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Question about the homework.

I have been practicing my homework (pat on back!) If I understood right - to have a controlled, soft edged tree - not diffuse - I use thick paint on a wet surface. However, I am finding that by using thick paint the chroma is too strong for background trees - what am I missing.

Also for the trunks - were they painted vertically or horizontall - I though I was paying attention but now I can't remember. Finding it very difficult to get a smooth flow and abstract shapes for the trunks. My brain keeps making me fill in the indentations for a smooth edge - even when I am saying to myself STOP IT LET IT BE!

Is this the correct place for homework questions?

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Question about the homework.

I have been practicing my homework (pat on back!) If I understood right - to have a controlled, soft edged tree - not diffuse - I use thick paint on a wet surface. However, I am finding that by using thick paint the chroma is too strong for background trees - what am I missing.

Also for the trunks - were they painted vertically or horizontall - I though I was paying attention but now I can't remember. Finding it very difficult to get a smooth flow and abstract shapes for the trunks. My brain keeps making me fill in the indentations for a smooth edge - even when I am saying to myself STOP IT LET IT BE!

Is this the correct place for homework questions?
Strong chroma is because the color has not been grayed down enough. The thickness of the paint is apart from this. A soft edge is another name for a blurred edge. I have been recommending to soften the edges in background foliage. If you want send me a photograph of the area you are talking about so I can give you a solution.

marionh
03-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks Johannes. I've been messing about on a piece of paper and it is in no fit state to photograph now. I will try greying down and see how far I get.

Yabut
03-21-2011, 09:24 AM

Everything was fine at this end, other than when you went off the air a couple of times.

Yabut

marionh
03-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Hi Johannes,
Here are my next efforts. I've tried greying down but I still feel they are too strong for background trees.
Also some of the edges are quite hard - perhaps I waited too long before applying the paint although I waited until the shine had just gone.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2011/42113-wc_practice_evergreens_1_800x600.jpg

And a close up
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2011/42113-wc_practice_evergreen_trees_closeup_800x600.JPG

Advice much appreciated

PollyJo
03-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Where can I find Robert Sloan's Notes after those of March 6th?

PollyJo

marionh
03-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Pollyjo, Click on the Partner: WCLive! link at the top. Roberts notes are in the first thread.

You will find all Johannes related thread there.

karan55
03-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Yesterday's class really helped me so much! You make everything look so easy!!!!
I have been so unhappy with my ability to grasp WC! I see my biggest problem is controlling the wetness of the paper. I went thru 4 sheets of paper, front and back! The window for the diffuse edge to soft edge to hard edge was so small that I could not get my letters consistantly and I was only writing TREE; I had mostly diffuse and hard edge with just a little soft edge. I was using a cheap paper - 140 pound CP- which seemed to stay shiney for a long time and then go dry too fast; I am going to try Arches 140CP (i don't have any RP) like you used yesterday to see if that helps. I have had the Arches paper for a long time but was waiting for me to feel I was good enough to use it!

I also practiced the trees for 3 hours and the left brain destroyed every one! I just I have to PRACTICE---PRACTICE-Practice!!!!

Thank you for providing the know how and the motivation to actually get me from the learning to...... the doing, I mean practicing.

bjornjo
03-21-2011, 11:01 AM
marionh how greyed down a background tree is not easy to judge if u dont have how the foreground and middleground looks. i mean if u have the foreground quite grey u maybe dont need to grey it down so much more but if far distance almost blue but if u have very colorfull foreground it will have to be considerable more grey to tell the distance is bigger even in the middleground, and you can always use the minivalues you have in the mass to show the distance hope i made it clearer im not as good teacher as johannes Btw we have moved to week 8 now in the class

sherrysherman
03-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Can anybody tell me how to join the chat for questions? I tried but it kept on asking for Username and password that I thought it was the one from WC but it did not work.
When it asks for Username and password, there are three buttons right underneath that say Log in, Sign up, and Cancel. The first time you use chat, you need to click Sign up. Then CHOOSE (make up) a username and a password. After that, whenever you go to ustream again and want to chat, the same Username & password boxes and three buttons will appear. This time you will click on Log in and enter the Username & password you previously chose.

dmfav
03-21-2011, 11:10 AM

I had no problems other than the couple of times when you went off the air -- I was running a MacBook Pro, using Safari with a Comcast High-Speed Cable connection in case you need that info to know what is working and what isn't. Thank you so much for these lessons -- they are really terrific and your generosity is quite remarkable. :clap:

*Deirdre*
03-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Yes I did...Firefox 3.6.1.5. browser, XP OS.
I did initially try for the full screen option, which opened in a different window....then I had sound problems with echos....closing down the second window solved that, and the rest was uninterrupted video. Great for me, a pastellist who occasionally tries to paint!

Grainne
03-21-2011, 11:56 AM

I had no problems whatsoever . . . using Safari, Snow Leopard on my iMac, Frontier high-speed DSL. I could move seamlessly between small screen and full screen, and toggle back and forth between the chat window and UStream's regular window, but I kept it on full screen most of the time, as it is the actual watching what's happening that is important to me. No problems with audio.

But I have the free account with UStream and sign in under my own username and password. I don't know if that makes the difference. Also, except for one 30 second commercial when I first sign on, I get NO ad interruption during the entire time of the program.

Loved the watercolor demos! Such useful information, but it's actually watching it happen as you are doing it that makes real learning take place. Whatever I need to know about materials, etc., I can come and ask here in the WC forum.

Grainne

Arantxa
03-21-2011, 01:35 PM
When it asks for Username and password, there are three buttons right underneath that say Log in, Sign up, and Cancel. The first time you use chat, you need to click Sign up. Then CHOOSE (make up) a username and a password. After that, whenever you go to ustream again and want to chat, the same Username & password boxes and three buttons will appear. This time you will click on Log in and enter the Username & password you previously chose.

Thank you Sherry. It was comforting to read in the chat we all had problems with the connection and it wasn't our own PC.

sue burke
03-21-2011, 02:07 PM
I didn't put this painting in the critique area because I painted it before the webinar. It is acrylic on canvas board. Knowing what Johannes has so generously taught us, if I repaint this scene I would grey the background trees and make that whole area an abstract shape instead of the triangle that it is. Take out the soup bowl there. Make the straight line where the rock formation meets the water melodic--I never realized it's a straight line. I would move the rock on the left hand side in so it's not cut off in the middle. Here's my question, the big rock formation on the beach...this is what it looks like and I love these big boulders smoothed by the glaciers eons ago...I understand making rocks not look like potatoes by straightening edges, etc; but, does this rock formation have enough interest to remain as it is--or is my sister right, she calls this painting Loch Ness because she says it looks like Nessie died right there on the beach! I'd appreciate your input because this is one of my favorite places and I'd like to repaint this scene. Thanks all!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2011/4226-Nessie.jpg

jmcedeno
03-21-2011, 02:23 PM
There was no pastel demo because you don't need techniques for softening pastel.
Thank you Johannes for such wonderful demo on the techniques for edges that is a huge problem for beginners like me. Starting today I'm going to practice, practice, and practice edges before embarking on a new painting. Trees and clouds, moving objects like water, people, and animals, etc. I'll work on watercolor, acrylic, oil, and gouache; I have no problems in pastel. When I get something decent I'll post it for your critique.

N.Ramchandran
03-21-2011, 02:25 PM

I had no problem at all. I was using Google Chrome.

sue burke
03-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Johannes, I had good video for the whole demo. A few times the audio got choppy; but, not enough to be a real problem. I use google chrome. I suspect that the people who had a problem either don't have fast enough broadband or there was a problem with servers in their areas. The one problem I did have, and I can't figure this one out--it wouldn't let me chat. If I typed in a question, it would ask me to sign in and then my question would by gone, so I typed the question again, it would ask me to sign in, etc. Must've just been a glitch, nobody else seemed to have that problem! I hope you'll be giving more of these webinars--or offered classes online (cheap-because I have no money-LOL). You've raised my art up a notch and I will forever be grateful to you.

jmcedeno
03-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Jose, he spoke briefly about pastels at the beginning, on the Webinar part. He didn't say much more than is on the Handout. The demo was never intended to cover pastels. According to Johannes, it's pretty easy to get a variety of soft edges, harder to get hard edges. Go to the Pastel Forum here on WC for discussion about ways to work with edges in pastel. There is a lot of info there.

Thank you Sherry, the reason I asked is because I did not get the opening statement referring to pastel, therefore I thought he was going to do some new tricks on pastel edges, so I'm glad I didn't miss much. Like most of you I had problems with Ustream in the beginning and the end of the demos, but I did get the in WC an Acrylic and a little of oil and then BANG ! everything went haywire. Robert's notes filled the gap. God bless him.

robertsloan2
03-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Yesterday's class really helped me so much! You make everything look so easy!!!!
I have been so unhappy with my ability to grasp WC! I see my biggest problem is controlling the wetness of the paper. I went thru 4 sheets of paper, front and back! The window for the diffuse edge to soft edge to hard edge was so small that I could not get my letters consistantly and I was only writing TREE; I had mostly diffuse and hard edge with just a little soft edge. I was using a cheap paper - 140 pound CP- which seemed to stay shiney for a long time and then go dry too fast; I am going to try Arches 140CP (i don't have any RP) like you used yesterday to see if that helps. I have had the Arches paper for a long time but was waiting for me to feel I was good enough to use it!

I also practiced the trees for 3 hours and the left brain destroyed every one! I just I have to PRACTICE---PRACTICE-Practice!!!!

Thank you for providing the know how and the motivation to actually get me from the learning to...... the doing, I mean practicing.

I used to feel the same way. Skip a fast-food lunch or something to save some mad money. Stock up on Arches. Then dare to use it. Don't ever get just one sheet of a good paper and not have more if you happen to wreck it, I freeze up when I do that.

It's much better to test what different papers do than to think a paper you bought is too good for you to use. The good papers make it much easier to paint and get good results.

Cheaper paper isn't wasted, it just takes more work to get good results and some practice - and if nothing else you can make pastel paper out of failed watercolors easily. This is a very good use for experiments on Arches. Rinse off the bad art if you don't want to use it for an underpainting, tape or staple it down and let it dry flat. Then prime with Golden pumice gel or Colourfix sanded primer and you have lovely pastel paper as good as the printed pastel paper. Wreck a pastel and you can take a vacuum cleaner to that to start over.

Some of my pastel friends have used the same paper six or seven times without a problem. That's where good papers have an advantage, they stand up to that treatment better.

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 03:10 PM

Arches 100% COTTON 140 lb.

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 03:11 PM
I had no problem at all. I was using Google Chrome.

Well everyone time to install google chrome for next time. Several are saying this.

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2011, 03:13 PM
I didn't put this painting in the critique area because I painted it before the webinar. It is acrylic on canvas board. Knowing what Johannes has so generously taught us, if I repaint this scene I would grey the background trees and make that whole area an abstract shape instead of the triangle that it is. Take out the soup bowl there. Make the straight line where the rock formation meets the water melodic--I never realized it's a straight line. I would move the rock on the left hand side in so it's not cut off in the middle. Here's my question, the big rock formation on the beach...this is what it looks like and I love these big boulders smoothed by the glaciers eons ago...I understand making rocks not look like potatoes by straightening edges, etc; but, does this rock formation have enough interest to remain as it is--or is my sister right, she calls this painting Loch Ness because she says it looks like Nessie died right there on the beach! I'd appreciate your input because this is one of my favorite places and I'd like to repaint this scene. Thanks all!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2011/4226-Nessie.jpg
When I make my rocks round it doesn't work for me so I make them angular and then I like them more.

Windrawings
03-21-2011, 11:34 PM
I had a fluent stream of audio and video this past weekend as most weekends thank you for asking.

I also want to thank you for the demos as you have inspired me to do some homework in water paint and perhaps pastel though most what I am doing or have done is in oils. I took your advice and purchased "windsor newton tubes" from the art place in milton. I will pool, create iceburgs and used as you demonstrated thank you again. I don't know how it will turn out but I will have great fun making an attempt.

I was wondering what you use to draw your plan on the paper prior to doing the water colour painting?

Laura2011
03-22-2011, 06:03 AM

The video was ok for me this Sunday. It worked non stop

If that helps here are my observations:

What I did different from last week was not to sing up for the chat (though I could still read it). I don’t know if there is any relation but when people started to leave, the video slowed down.

Also, friends that were also watching in my country (Spain) said the video worked ok for them.

flowergram
03-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Please do not post in this thread any longer.
Go to the main thread and post in week 8.

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522

Thanks
Gina

Johannes Instructor
03-22-2011, 07:16 AM
I had a fluent stream of audio and video this past weekend as most weekends thank you for asking.

I also want to thank you for the demos as you have inspired me to do some homework in water paint and perhaps pastel though most what I am doing or have done is in oils. I took your advice and purchased "windsor newton tubes" from the art place in milton. I will pool, create iceburgs and used as you demonstrated thank you again. I don't know how it will turn out but I will have great fun making an attempt.

I was wondering what you use to draw your plan on the paper prior to doing the water colour painting?
HB pencil