PDA

View Full Version : watercolor PENCILS

kendell
03-11-2011, 03:08 AM
hi all,

a newbie here- in january i started tinkering with 2 pencil sets. one traditional colored pencil and the other a gorgeous set of caran watercolor pencils. is there any artist out there who works with watercolor pencils where i can view wip's? i keep bouncing back to the traditional cp's because of basic issues with the wcp's. i am trying different hp watercolor papers-arches, stonehenge, with fabriano on order.....i think part of the problem is brushes. so often i see the lingering stroke marks from the wcp's--i think my brushes might not be the right material. i believe they are the cheap taklons since i use solvents some with cp. anyway, i am just not getting the fluid look i like. any tips and help is appreciated. nothing like trying to learn 2 medias at once, huh?:D

kendell

nola276
03-11-2011, 03:53 AM
Hi Kendell,

I have been threatening to tinker with watercolour pencils for a few months now. I have a nice tin of 24 Faber-Castel watercolour pencils but didn't know how to use them. I googled and came up with a few small Youtube video clips that help, but today I have just received a DVD on techniques for the pencils, which I purchased on Ebay for approx $10.00 including postage. It came from England and is worth every cent, very informative. This DVD is often on Ebay from the seller, who in fact is also the maker of the video. They put out quite a few dvd's and I have found them to be extremely good. They use the side of the pencil and colour in the areas first, then use a rigger brush and a small amount of water to activate the colours. If you are interested, I can leave you the link to their site. Cheers, Nola.:wave:

painterbear
03-11-2011, 06:05 AM
Check out these threads from The Watercolor Handbook on Watercolor Pencils:

Watercolor Pencils

Watercolor Pencil Brands Comparisons

Derwent Graphitint Watercolor Pencils by artbyboon

and these threads in The Learning Demos:

Watercolor Crayons by Jen (rue d'oak)

Using Derwent Graphitint Watercolor Pencils
by Joanne (artbyboon)

The links to both those sites are in my signature line. Just scroll down through the list until you come to them.

Sylvia

CharM
03-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Bob Davies has a couple of Youtube Videos that are quite helpful... Click Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRVkG6HhwBE&feature=related)for part 1 and then Click Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcx1A64OT-4&feature=related) for part 2.

I have a set of watercolour pencils, but have never enjoyed great success with them. Of course, I grew impatient and did not take the time to practice... So, I wish you the very best of luck with yours!

kendell
03-11-2011, 09:52 AM
thanks gals. yep, you just confirmed that there just isn't much info out there. guess that is one reason i keep going back to the traditional cp--many more resources for info/learning. kristy kutch's book is the best resource i've found so far for the wcp.....

amdewitt
03-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I enjoy working with watercolor pencils because of the portability of them and I bring along a waterbrush. I use prismacolors. I bought a set of the Caran, but I like the prismacolor better. I have more sucess with the hot press paper with them.

jmb57
03-12-2011, 07:20 AM
hey Nola, i would be interested in that link, it sounds interesting!!!
thanks
janine

jmb57
03-12-2011, 07:21 AM
kendell, you may like to look in at the coloured pencil forum here at wc.
i am sure you will find some useful info there as well.

kendell
03-12-2011, 07:54 AM
hey jmb57--yes i look at the cp forum regularly. watercolor cp are a totally differnt beast though. recently there was a thread about them on there--folks are curious, but nobody seemed to really specialize in them. everyone just looking for more info like i am. that's why i can to THIS forum. i keep going back to the traditional cp because there is so much more info out there on them and naturally i am getting more comfortable with them.

thanks for the input.....k

painterbear
03-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Hi Kendell,
I just typed in Watercolor Pencils in my Google search line and came up with a long list of Watercolor Pencil Tutorials—some were videos, others just demos. Have you tried doing that?

Sylvia

silvermoss
03-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Hi Kendall,

Don't have much experience myself, but have been reading a book by mountaineer-watercolorist David Bellamy. He uses watercolour pencils when in environments where water is likely to freeze! He uses an Aquash brush (kept warm in his pocket). But I think that these are more for sketching rather than finished works, nonetheless his sketches with these are beautiful. As the Aquash brush is a cheap synthetic waterbrush, the brush may not be the problem in your situation. He uses artist quality paper.

N.B. Just re-read your comment about lingering stroke marks - from the pencil ... This may be the quality of the pencil itself.

I do have some Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils - these fully dissolve and do not leave stroke marks if you add enough water. I remember researching them prior to buying a while ago, and this was the one characteristic that recommended them over other brands.

aszurblue
03-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Hay Kendall, some really cool stuff going on over in the Watermida Forum on watercolor pencils...Check it out:D

gardenart
03-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Kendall,
Do you use the same brushes for the water color pencils that you use with the solvents for the colored pencils? That would not be a good thing to do.I couldn't tell by your post if that is what you meant or not. I use the Aqua brush with WCP and it works well except for larger areas where I use a larger traditional brush. I like the WCP for doing smaller paintings and sketches. Just keep practicing. I think they are a lot of fun to work with.
Sue

nola276
03-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Hi Janine,:wave: Here is the link:
http://shop.ebay.com.au/harribon67/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

They don't have anything for sale at this minute, but they have these same DVD's available on and off all the time. Quite competant teachers and I am still learning a lot about the watercolour pencils by viewing mine.

By the way, have you been away? Stay safe, Nola.

kendell
03-13-2011, 11:29 AM
thanks for all the input.

paper-i have either stonehenge, or arches hp 140 to pick from-- with farbiano artistico on the way.

pencils-caran supracolor

brushes-i was playing with my synthetic brushes and see that the silver brush moves the pencil around better than the taklon. i have used the talkon for solvent too, but not at the same session. ninji (sp?)waterbrushs also spread good.

thanks everyone!

nola276
03-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Here is a Youtube link to a rather good lesson on painting leaves using watercolour crayons. I think the technique would be very similar to using watercolour pencils. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOdPNHtLLDg&feature=related

Cheers, Nola.