PDA

View Full Version : colouring scratchboard

pandorea
03-11-2011, 01:25 AM
After a bit of hit and miss, I am in the final stages of my little shi-tzu maltese cross. I have scratched out the black around her in order to lay down a coloured cushion, mixed up some colour, applied it and got a very streaky result. It seems that the black residue still adhering to the scratched surface has been taken up in the wet being applied to the surface. The brush was not that wet - I thought I patted it off well before applying the colour. It's a commission and the owner is expecting it in a few days' time! woops! Any suggestions will be gratefully received!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2011/221137-083.JPG

Crias
03-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Lol... I like the streaks - adds texture to the pillow.

But if you don't want them you will have to take it back down again since the inks are transparent and you will be able to see what it below with the next layer. For covering large areas I use a paper towel rather than a brush. Try to find a higher quality paper towel without much texture (it the USA we have a brand called Viva that works great). I tear the paper towel down to about 1/6 of the sheet crinkle that up so it fits comfortably in my hand and dab that in the ink and then use that to apply the ink, though you will have to be careful when you get close to the dog to not get ink on the white fur. You will need to work fairly quickly and with the towel moderately damp in order to avoid steaks, as after one layer dries and you go back over an area even slight overlap will leave the streaks (the overlapped area will be more intense/darker than area with no overlap). What you have so far looks great to me! I love the sparkle in the eyes!

aaces
03-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Yep...what she said :D
Looks Good and I bet they LOVE it :thumbsup:

MuttHut
03-12-2011, 12:09 AM
I like the pillow, it looks to me like it is made of sheeps wool, and has alot of tezture to it. One thing I would add is a light shadow of the dog against the pillow itself, to show a seperation between the two whites.

Wendy

pandorea
03-12-2011, 02:37 AM
Thankyou, Cathy Allan and Wendy; in the ref photo Ruby is sitting on a cushion with orange/apricots and turquoise. My idea is to use those colours in an abstract way - some of those colours are on the dog funnily enough. The idea of dabbing might just be the answer to abstract application!!!! The weather is rather warm here at the moment so the ink should dry fairly quickly on the board - as well in the mixed puddles on the palette!

Wendy - thanks for reminding me about the shadow side!!!!

PatrickHedges
03-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Wow. I really love what you are doing with the dog!! That's excellent

pandorea
03-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Thankyou, Patrick; progress has been slow but I'm happy with it so far. Just a bit nervous about the final run to the finish line!!!!!

Harry Seymour
03-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Very cute and well done even the streaks.

Diana Lee
03-12-2011, 10:49 AM
You already got great advice from Cathy so I will just pipe in that an airbrush would work nicely as well. What a cutie you created here! And ditto to what everyone else has said.

Diana

Buggin3
03-12-2011, 11:20 AM
What a cute pose!! The way that you have done the dark eyes is perfect. :thumbsup:

lorna12
03-12-2011, 03:22 PM
The dog looks great...did you get the pillow finished?

pamelalbd
03-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Excellent work on the eyes Too! Wow they really look deep into your heart! I just finished a little commission...nothing to do with animals just a lot of designs and lines and blech stuff I hate....then to top it off she didn't like it! So now I have to try to undo a lot of what I have done and try to fix what she doesn't like..........not impressed. This isn't scratchboard mind its painting on Glass...never done it before. haha never do it again either:D
Sorry for Venting...
Your customer is going to love what you have done with this though...I guarantee! How could you not just fall in love! She's beautiful!

pandorea
03-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Oh! all those nice comments!!!! Thankyou!
Harry - thankyou! I freaked out when those streaks arrived on the board - but you and others don't mind them! Maybe I need to look at it differently! That's fine!
Diana, I would love to have an airbrush! (and a few other things as well!!) It's on the very long wishlist!!
Brett - thankyou! those eyes took my a-g-e-s; being a slow meticulous worker plenty of putting on and taking off!
Lorna - today is the day I do the pillow! - I took a day off in the garden so I can come back with 'fresh' eyes. I'll post again when it's finished.
Pamela, thankyou - this piece has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster because I would love to have one of this breed, but there are a couple of unsolved stumbling blocks. Can you believe she was a foundling who finished up at the Animal Welfare League. I really don't understand how people dump animals. Thank goodness for the AWL. I don't know how many times I have looked at her photo and murmured 'God, you're beautiful!'

candy e
03-13-2011, 04:26 AM
so cute

pandorea
03-14-2011, 08:22 AM
thankyou, Candy! even more so when she is wanting to get up onto your lap!!!

pandorea
03-14-2011, 06:33 PM
I am cross posting this with the post 'Ruby - nearly finished'..I have made some corrections - to the position of the leg and foot - it was too big and didn't show the foot well, and added more colour to show up the white subject. I will be smoothing out the blotches around the front foot.
I'm having a nervous one about spraying with acrylic spray - will the ink run? That would not be welcome! All C & C welcome.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2011/221137-Ruby_006.JPG

Diana Lee
03-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Thank you for doing that Christobel. Much easier to scroll and see the difference. As for spraying with the finish. I HATE SPRAYING so I am not the one to ask.

Diana

Willowsee
03-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Those eyes look amazing, and the subtle colours really add to the realism. I love that pillow, I've only done enough scratchboards to practice fur/feathers and not any other textures, so I love seeing all the different things you can do with scratchboard. Great work! :D

PatrickHedges
03-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Good luck with the spraying. I think it's wonderful.

pandorea
03-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Thankyou Diana, Willowsee and Patrick for you complimentary comments!
Diana - if you don't spray, how do you cover up unwanted marks on the board, eg unwanted scratch marks and bumps and knocks? There is one particular mark on it to the right of the dog where I started scratching and then aborted the idea and have covered it with black claybord ink; it shows.

Rodman
03-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Christobel...Diana does spray hers ( i've watched her ...she just doesn't like doing it ).. my advice would be...thin coats to start at least.. THIN coats will seal the color without moving it...as for the scratches you want to hide....try sanding them mostly smooth with a.fiberglass brush before inking... the clear really helps.

pandorea
03-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Thankyou! Rodman! I did finish up spraying it very lightly a couple of coats just enough to make a difference. It's now being photographed by professional photographers because my efforts at photographing my work has been pretty hopeless...the definition and detail is not there and dealing with the shine and reflections on the board are tricky. I wonder what others do?

FoggyMountain
03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
This looks wonderful; you've really captured this little guy's character.