PDA

View Full Version : Tap still life WIP

Merethe T
03-10-2011, 04:20 PM
While the apples are taking a break I'm working on this, the plan was to do a quick painting but the painting turned on me and took another direction... :lol:
I wasn't going to do this too detailed, but here I am caught up in details again...still work to do, but I'm gonna do a simple bg and put in a water drop, so it shouldn't take too long.

Someone asked in a previous thread if I could do a WIP on how I paint metal. I have already done much of it here, put I took a close up of one part that isn't done yet, hoping that will help.

Basically I throw in warm and cold grays, black, white and blue(in this piece there's 3 different tones of each gray, and 4 different blues. To get the different values I build up layers with these colors). I usually put in a little purple too. In this particular piece there's some rusty browns and green as well, to make the tap look a little worn. I work on La Carte, and I work in thin layers. I block in the basic colors for each shape, and carefully blend to make transitions between colors smooth. I don't blend heavily, sometimes just a gentle tap with my fingertips to make it smooth. I use Faber Castell for this kind of work, and blend the colors. Then I'll switch to pastel pencils for small details, and to layer other colors on top of the initial layers. I use a light hand, and keep a sharp pencil for the smallest details. The thin layers make it easier to avoid making mud when I blend different colors, and I keep the surface dust free. I think what's important is to get the values right, and to add enough detail to make it believable. I don't paint every little shape I see, just enough to make it look real.

For those interested I've added a close up of an area that isn't finished yet. Hope that helps for those who asked. :)

C&C welcome.

This is La Carte, with a mix of Ludwigs, FC, Rembrandts and W&N, in addition to pastel pencils. I'm working on a 15x18" sheet, but will crop off some of it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2011/22081-IMG_3600cropx550.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2011/22081-IMG_3604cropx550.jpg

terri66
03-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Merethe, what a great composition. Lovely detail.

Did you paint a guitar with beer bottles within the last 2 years? I remember seeing it as a WIP but forgot to "favorite" it to see its conclusion. If it was, could you refresh my memory as to its title. Thanks, Terri

Merethe T
03-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Hi Terri, thank you! :)
Yes you're right, that is "Tanglewood break", that I did last year. Thanks for the interest:)

granddad
03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Great start and I truly love your metal work. Thanks for explaing your process. james

*Marina*
03-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Great start, interesting to read how you do it.

mollerman
03-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Once again, very nice work Merethe. This is coming along splendidly. Thanks for offering the detailed description on your process.

allydoodle
03-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Now this is neat. I really love that close up, fantastic colors. I can really see the purples you've put in. I didn't notice them in the full shot, but the close up really shows so much more. This is going to be yet another beauty!

chuas2
03-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Amazing, Merethe, you've made a water tap an object of beauty. I think only you could accomplish that. Thank you for the WIP! It's really a privilege to see your process at work.
Chuas

Turpintine45
03-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Wow again!!!

John Palmer Fine Art
03-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Wow, Merethe this is a treat indeed, incredible colours in the chrome and love that very authentic touch of rust, bet you enjoyed doing that part. It's great to see a section finished to such a high level with just bare paper around it, in a way it looks even more amazing appearing on the paper in isolation. Don't keep us waiting too long for an update.
John

ArtsyPatrice
03-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Amazing! Excellent drawing with all those ellipses! Beautiful rendering of metal...

bnoonan
03-12-2011, 12:25 PM
You rock my world!!! I could be happy with just this portion! Barb