PDA

View Full Version : I've missed you all.....

Linda Rose
03-07-2011, 06:34 AM
It's been a tough two years since my dear husband Steve died. My twins, Katie & William (now 16) are struggling & missing their papa so very much.

Saying all that....I'm trying to get back into my art. I have an artshow coming up in May & haven't started a thing. I'm so new at this yet when I sit at my easel & just touch my brushes I feel at peace. When I try to start a painting I panic. Steve isn't here to encourage me.

How do you get past that blank canvas?

painterbear
03-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Linda,
I'm so sorry about your dear husband's death. I can only imagine how hard it has been for you and your son and daughter these last two years dealing with that immutable fact.

Congratulations on having a show coming up in a couple of months. We can't take the place of your dear husband, but maybe we can give you encouragement as you begin your paintings for the show.

You can post your works in progress in the Studio and ask for help or just another set of eyes looking at them, if you like. Or post your finished works in the Gallery for others to see.

:grouphug:

Sylvia

laudesan
03-07-2011, 07:07 AM
Welcome back Linda Rose. You have been through a tuff time, grief is a very hard thing to get over.. :grouphug: I am so glad you feel like making art again. Try a little sketch of something familiar, see if that gets you back in the swing.

Cheers JJ

Yorky
03-07-2011, 07:37 AM
:grouphug: Linda :grouphug:

Sylvia said it. Everyone here is your friend and we'll help you get back in the groove with your painting.

Doug

CharM
03-07-2011, 08:29 AM
(((Linda))) Posting here is your first step, I think... I cannot imagine what you've been through... but, we're here to encourage you and cyberly hold your hand when you need it. Congratulations on your upcoming show... getting involved and absorbed by your art is a good thing... :heart:

ona
03-07-2011, 08:32 AM
(((Linda))) first of all huge gentle hugs. As far a painting... remember its just a piece of paper so experiment, lose yourself in the painting process and most of all remember to have fun. We will be here to support you.

Ona

olliewood0702
03-07-2011, 08:53 AM
(((LINDA))), welcome back, and yes like Char said you've taken the first step back to your art.:grouphug:

It must be so very difficult for your children and you to make it through without Steve. Grief is so painful and real; and I'm glad you feel peace at your art desk. I will be praying for you and your kids to find something that makes you happy and concentrate on that and to know that your loving husband/father would be so very happy knowing you are doing something that makes you smile.:heart:

PLEASE keep on keeping on and post your things in the gallery for encouragement and help. You have been missed and we are so glad you found your way back to us.

Take care and GOD BLESS you all.:grouphug:

AmyLC
03-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Welcome Back! I'm so sorry for your loss and the on-going grief. I can only imagine how difficult it is to not only be grieving, but also raising teenagers on your own. ((Hugs)) I'm glad you're thinking of painting again. I find it to be so therapeutic.

When I lost my dad about a year and a half ago - my first paintings were all (in one way or another) a tribute to him. I included his favorite things, or chose to paint places he had been, etc. For awhile my paintings also included an element of life and death --fallen trees still alive with moss, etc. I do think it helped me work through some things when I needed it most. Maybe you could paint a picture for your husband.

I've been going through another dry spell lately. Wanting so badly to paint, but not feeling inspired to paint anything in particular. I was in a total funk and it's a frustrating feeling for me. I also have a show coming up in June that I need to get ready for. So...a couple days ago, I just decided to RE-paint something. I don't normally like to paint the same thing twice - I get bored with it. But I had really like this particular painting except for ONE area. Enough time had passed that it doesn't feel too repetitious to be starting again. And...ahhhhhh.....it's working!!! I'm so happy to have a painting in progress again. It really truly does settle my mind to be creating. (and so far the 2nd painting is turning out great!)

So maybe look back and find something you want to try again - just to get the brushes wet.

I also find this time of year to be difficult. Winter has dragged on far too long - it's no longer pretty or inspiring to look outside at all the gray (IMHO). Maybe Spring - with daffodills, magnolia bushes, and blue skies will be just the thing to get us painting again.

I hope you break through soon and get the paint flowing.

BDorsa
03-07-2011, 10:54 AM
(((( my condolences )))) I'm new-ish here so I'm sure we've not met before. Welcome back to WC. Painting can very healing. It brought me out of a deep depression. sending hugs & sunshine your way

ReggieS
03-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Linda Rose,
welcome back! So sorry to hear of your loss. it's good that you want to paint again. You will get past the painter's block. When that happens to me I do one of the monthly challenges, that way the choice of what to paint is made for me. Once you start you'll get into the groove!

Please keep posting!

Reggie

juneto
03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Linda . these are bad times for you , but you will recover and the pain will soften a bit .
Keep trying, dabble and play .
Painting is a wonderful healer because your mind is filled .
June:cat: :wave:

yahooserious
03-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Hugs to you and your twins, Linda.

When I got back to painting after a long break.... had a breakdown of sorts.... I started with a WIP posted here in the Learning Zone... Just a simple one with beautiful color... Aunt Pearl's Toilet Paper WIP, actually. It was simple and fun to do and it was all laid out for me... It came from a lesson on how to paint whites. That may be a good way for you to start back... With one of the great WIPs posted here on WC....

You couldn't be in a better place to get your paint going again....

Emilie

gmarie
03-09-2011, 03:28 AM
:grouphug: Linda Rose :grouphug: posting in the Studio is a really good idea; lots of kind hearted understanding fellow artists to help see you through.

MtLookout
03-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Linda,

I sent you a PM. I may have known your husband, Steve. Did he attend architecture school in Cincinnati in the late 70's? I knew a Steve Rose from then.

Tom

Linda Rose
03-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Thank you all for all your warm words ~ sorry I've been late to respond. I spent a couple of days at the hospital due to pneumonia - it's been one harsh winter.

I've spent time at my easel this morning already & am hoping to post a painting/drawing I'd like to do in honor of my husband with hopes I can get ideas & what not.

Again thank you ~ I hope to be more a part of this community ~ maybe daily if the twins settle down a bit.