PDA

View Full Version : Rooster Commission

sketchNpaint
03-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Hey y'all, been awhile since I've posted a pic overe here with you & I've missed y'all :wave: ...I have for you today a commission piece that I've done for a co-worker. This is Clyde, 12X16 done in Nupastels, some Rembrandts & a few GA's on top. The surface is Kilimanjaro 300 lb wc paper with a watercolor underpainting, which was halfway experimental on my part but I I am pleased with the outcome. It looks like my version of Clyde has him on a diet, LOL..but I suppose during the filesize reduction something caused it to look askew, because my Clyde does not look as squished and skinny in real life.

Also, I have a question for you...my fiancee thinks it might look good with the glow of a sunset in the far bg left...but I said it might compete to much with the rooster's comb. But then again, if I made it more orange and yellow it might complement the overall picture. What say you all? My co-worker hasn't seen the finish yet, but she is leaving decisions up to me as to the overall outcome. She just appreciates art & loves her rooster :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2011/116170-Clyde.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2011/116170-Clydesmall.jpg

John Palmer Fine Art
03-06-2011, 03:33 PM
This is a very striking, well observed and great colours.
John

framan
03-06-2011, 03:39 PM
He he he,, Roosters are so fun to paint. Their colors make for beautiful paintings! Well done

Zoe Butler
03-06-2011, 06:42 PM
I Think the sun and orange/yellow glow would compliment the blue you have in the painting with a little touch added to the comb. I find pastels such a forgiving medium that, when I wonder about such things, I try it out and can always remove it if it does not work. Beautiful subject matter and such wonderful colours. Zoe

fiannah
03-06-2011, 07:25 PM
lovely rooster! I have always wanted to paint one of them!

bnoonan
03-07-2011, 10:45 AM
I think you made a great decision about the sunset but then again... you are the artist!!!

I will suggest a few things if you don't mind. Check out the puff of the front of the chest.. you may want to give it more of a fluff... or give a little indent closer to the mouth...

It's amazing how you make the rooster more on edge by just keeping the front chest straight - it really gives a sense of power!!!

Fun! Barb

sketchNpaint
03-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks all, for your observations and tips :)

cornwall
03-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Lovely work, great colours.