PDA

View Full Version : my show at the coffee shop

bnoonan
03-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Hi there,
Though only a few of these images include pastels, I thought I would share with my WC friends the art work I hung at the local coffee shop this month. As I was taking the photos, someone approached me about buying a piece. Pretty Cool :cool:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/13264-coffee-shop-2.jpg

(This includes a photo from the Day in the Life of WC project from last weekend)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/13264-coffee-shop-3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/13264-coffee-shop-5.jpg

(The above photo includes one of my 30 minute sketches from our weekly threads).

Hope it was ok to add these here. Thanks for looking!

Barb

:)

bnoonan
03-02-2003, 10:22 PM
to refresh your memory - pastel 20 minutes

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/13264-20-minute-smaller.jpg

Never underestimate those small quick sketches.

Barb

BevL
03-02-2003, 10:27 PM
What a great thing, to have your work on display! It all looks great! (I envy all those framed paintings! The only frames I ever get to see my work in, is through the frames of my eyeglasses! ;) )

Congrats on the opportunity to show off your work!

Bev :)

Luvy
03-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Hurray for you *S* You're own showing Wow I bet you sell them all *S* :clap:

Are these prints or originals And what other medium?

bnoonan
03-02-2003, 10:33 PM
Bev, I had a show of my work at this shop 2 other times with only photography. It was an investment to buy the frames but now I just keep recycling the art work mostly.

Luvy - if I sell one piece in this shop I'll be thrilled.

They are all originals (except for the photos of course). I've included pastels, oils, gouache and the photography.

Thanks for your encouragement.

It's rewarding to see your work up in one place.

Cheers! Barb

E-J
03-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Good for you, Barb ~ how satisfying to see your work get the space it deserves ~ where people can enjoy [and hopefully buy!!] it! That flower from the weekly sketches is a beauty. We've got quite a few nice coffee shops here now too [no way as good as the ones you've got in SF and the bay area, tho] ~ some day I would love to exhibit in one of them ~when I reach your level of ability!

Mikki Petersen
03-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Barb, this is great! Lucky you to have a venue like this. And to have someone approach you already about buying a piece! How nice.

Bev, you should invest in framing at least one piece of your work. It has a whole different look and feel when framed. Gives you lots of incentive to keep at it. You are worth it!

Dark_Shades
03-03-2003, 02:40 PM
ohhhh this is great Barb ....... hope you have big signs every where lol saying 'FOR SALE' .... they might just think they are part of the decor :D
..... could you post some bigger pics.... would love a closer look .... and tell us what mediums etc they are..... mounts... n stuff :evil: ... that red one has caught my eye :)

bnoonan
03-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement. I'll keep you posted on the sales -

Dawn, each image has a tiny price tag either inside the frame or posted along side.

As for a close up of work - I'd be happy to accommodate. But first you should check out the project thread entitled: WC A day in the life on Feb 23, 2003 - Photography. I've posted a few images (including the one I think you are referring to).

E-J, you have to understand that this little dive coffee shop isn't the best choice of venues for me but I do enjoy getting my work up on the wall. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a way to do the same.

Mikki - I have to go search the threads to see if you have posted any of your work from the coast.

Thanks again... Barb

Katherine J
03-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Great stuff, Barb. So nice to have it displayed and as Mikki says to have someone approach you about possibly buying. You've done some really nice framing - I particularly like the small paintings with big mats.

BTW, where are all the women coffee drinkers?! - at home painting? (or whatever?).

Katherine

Mo.
03-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Kudos to you Barb, this is wonderful, I'm sure you are going to have lots of interest in your work and hopefully lots of sales too, your quick little 20 minute painting looks lovely in the frame, it's amazing the difference a mount and frame does to a painting, it's the icing on the cake.....no wrong that would be the sale, it's the final piece of garnish.:D

That is some huge coffee shop too, computers there too?
:confused:
E-J... a tip, I have a coffee shop here that I frequent, very small, but homely and friendly and a very popular coffee shop or was.....
I asked the proprietor if I could paint his portrait... he agreed, took several pics of him then painted him and had it framed and hung in his coffee shop with a bundle of my little business cards on the counter, from this one little venture I earned enough in commissions to buy a new computer, scanner, printer, dig cam, software, and a two week holiday, plus loads of art materials, and more. Alas, the coffee shop has now changed hands and the new proprietor is not interested in having any art on the walls. :mad:

Cheers,
Mo

bnoonan
03-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Mo! Great minds think alike! I was hoping to take a photo of the owner and finish a piece of work for him so trump up some business.

Katherine - I live in San Francisco. Polk Street is, how shall I put it, um... the old gay part of town - not that much of the city isn't. As you can see it collects an interesting mix of men... and mostly men.

Oh - I did capture this couple sitting there and asked them to pose. Aren't they cute?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2003/13264-couple.jpg

barb

CarlyHardy
03-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Barb! Congratulations!! The artwork really looks nice on those clean white walls...I would think the owner might like to keep a few of those. They really do enhance his shop!
carly

Taminka
03-04-2003, 03:24 AM
Congrats Barb - the display looks wonderful

Minky

E-J
03-04-2003, 09:13 AM
You certainly need confidence to approach someone with the suggestion that you paint their portrait, Mo ~ were you already very practised in portraits? I guess the confidence comes as you start to build up a portfolio of work. Some of us aren't at that stage yet... but hope to be before too long :)

As for the coffee shop owner who doesn't want art on his walls, in a civilised society such people would be taken out and strung up!! :D

Off to look at the 'Day in the Life' photos.

E-J
03-04-2003, 09:19 AM
Lovely macro shots of the flowers, Barb, especially the stargazers [my favourites!].