PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Dancer Redux

Diana Lee
03-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Well, since I was on a roll with redoing pieces I thought I would try another "Tiny Dancer". Poor little thing got damaged. I will never be able to show her, though I have shown prints and the image, repaired on the computer, has been used by Ampersand. When Rodman was visiting last year we tried several repair techniques on a spare board, but none worked well enough to make Tiny Dancer 100%. So here we go again.

This is an 18x24 board and so far all I have used is a scalpel. And, by the way, I ordered new blades from Amazon and though they were called #11 scalpel blades they were shaped differently. They had a rounded tip instead of a point! RATS!!:(

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2011/5-photo1.jpg

lorna12
03-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Damaged...that's terrible! I'll take it off your hands, if you like, since you're redoing anyway. :D;)

I recently got a picture of my granddaughter at her ballet class...she's wearing the same polka dot outfit...wonder if that standard at all ballet classes? :D

artofnature
03-04-2011, 04:46 PM
She's gorgeous. Such a shame she was damaged. But it would be lovely to hang on your wall when she is finished. Any room there though!

artbygail
03-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Diana, this sketch is lovely and will be even more lovely and special when finished.
Over the years, I have had the odd painting damaged, one sprayed with furniture polish by helpful son doing his Saturday chores, one painting where higher to lower price tag was changed in an art show, one lifted in a burglary, and in 2 separate incidents burned in house fires. Sorry to hear that yours was damaged, I relate with you and know how sad and empty that feels.

But this sketchboard piece when finished will be very much appreciated. Gail

Harry Seymour
03-04-2011, 05:35 PM
This is so special and I understand why you want it perfect. Great start.

Buggin3
03-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Sorry to hear that the board was damaged beyond repair. :( I remember seeing this piece on the Ampersand advertising.

Looks like you are off to a perfect start though on Tiny Dancer Part 2. :thumbsup:

PatrickHedges
03-04-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm not sure I'd ever do a piece again so massive kudos to you!!

Rodman
03-04-2011, 07:53 PM
a beautiful piece....too bad we couldnt make it 100%. The bright side is...we getta see you do it again...

Question... are you using the damaged board as the ref. or the photo? Both? IF your using the damaged board....how is that? doing a SB drawing from a SB drawing?.....im curious

PaintDog
03-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Gorgeous Diana, her face just glows!

Diana Lee
03-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks Lorna, you are a hoot!! I don't know if it is standard. My "First Day At The Barre" had all three girls in different outfits.:wink2:
Thank you Lesley, Yup, I am running out of room!:lol:
Thanks Gail, Yes, I too, have had a scratchboard stolen right off the exhibiting wall!! I was working on a Native American and my cat sprayed it. No saving it after that. Usually damage done is done by me. I recently dropped a can of fixative on a piece while I was spraying, made a dent!:o
Thank you Harry!:D
Thanks Brett!;)
Thank you Patrick! I once did an oil painting three time because I wanted it for myself, but every time I painted it someone would make me an offer I couldn't refuse!:D
Thanks Rodman! Actually I am using both and there really isn't that much difference between the two. A reference is a reference.
Thank you Ann! I am having fun with this!;)

Diana

lorna12
03-05-2011, 08:26 PM
"First day at the Barre" looks like practice outfits while the pink polka dots might be first recital....could be, who knows?:D

Diana Lee
03-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Yep Lorna, I'll bet that's right!

Diana

VENKAT
03-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Another great piece in the offing .
Venkat

FoggyMountain
03-06-2011, 09:49 PM
So glad you're redoing this Diana; it is really special.

birdlover
03-07-2011, 02:24 PM
She is looking great; second time is the charm.

Diana Lee
03-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks VENKAT!
Thank you Lynn and Angela!

Here is the latest photo. Keep in mind that none of it is done. One arm is in the ugly stage and the other is on it's way to being done. Have I mentioned yet how much I miss my scanner? I am not a photographer! This one looks a bit blurry and not like the real piece.

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2011/5-photo_2.jpg

Harry Seymour
03-11-2011, 05:28 PM
It is coming along beautifully-needless to say. Actually, in some respects more can be learned from the "ugly' stage which shows how you get from point A (Aspiration) to point C (Completion).

lorna12
03-11-2011, 05:32 PM
oh yeah...oh sooo ugly! :lol: But we know how beautiful it is going to end up.

Diana Lee
03-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Thank you Harry. I see you left out point "B", for "Buggers!" Why isn't this piece going from point "A" to point "C" more smoothly?!

Thanks Lorna. I would love to show close-ups of the ugly part, but my photo is too blurry!

Diana

Rodman
03-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Diana Diana Diana....Gosh I wish Icould work like this... you just floor me.

Diana Lee
03-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks Rodman!
You forget I have seen you do works like the one you produced in our first wc challenge, the girl riding a horse. I figure it is a lot easier for you to do something like that then it would be for me to do something "Rodman" like.

Diana

aaces
03-11-2011, 11:11 PM
This one looks a bit blurry and not like the real piece.

So.....It looks even BETTER in person? :eek::eek::eek::eek:
As usual Diana......I love it!

Rodman
03-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Diana....you could do what I do with both your eyes tied behind your back! I couldn't do that piece!

MuttHut
03-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Diana: As beautiful as per usual, your "UGLY" stages are just fine, on the other hand my "UGLY" stages arn't for public view LOL. I admire your dedication to this piece, it deserves to be reborn.

Wendy

PaintDog
03-12-2011, 03:22 AM
Oh bonkers, ignore this one too! Stupid internet connection . . . :confused:

PaintDog
03-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Ignore this . . . I had an internet glitch and it double posted!

PaintDog
03-12-2011, 03:24 AM
I honestly can't imagine re-doing a piece, especially one with that much detail and the amount of time it must take! It's "one and done" as far as I'm concerned. But I'm sure glad you are re-doing it Diana, so we can see it come to life!!!

The comparison between the arms is intriguing - how you go from sections to smoothness - just wonderful.

Diana Lee
03-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Thank you Allan!
Thanks Rodman! You are funny! Some time we should try to do a piece in each other's style. Should prove interesting.
Thank you Wendy!
Thanks Ann. I think your computer has a stutter. "One and Done", I like that! It is actually quite common for me to repeat a piece, but usually it is more like starting over, because of poor sizing choice or an uncorrectable mistake. However I have, at least a dozen times, made a second (or even a third) reproduction. Just to have another or was commissioned to recreate a piece that had already been sold.

Diana

Rodman
03-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Deal....... how do we do this?..

Diana Lee
03-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Rod, I like this. Kind of a two person challenge! I am up for that! I can't do anything right now, but I think I can start work next week and produce a piece in two or three weeks. Does that work for you?

Diana

Rodman
03-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Sure..ha..what have I gotten myself into?.... rules? Can I lean on other artist? Are you going to give me my ref.?.. do I need to give you something?... I just wanna know the rules so I can take delight in figuring out a way to cheat.

Diana Lee
03-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Rod, no rules! If you need to lean, lean all you want. I don't want to do this as a WIP. I will just do my piece and post it when ever you are ready. As for giving each other ideas or reference material perhaps it is time to move this to comunicating through email or PMs. We will just show up in 2 or 3 weeks with what we have done.

Diana

Bringer
03-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi Diana,

I took a quick look at your website, which I know for a couple of years now, namely the animal's gallery.
It's impossible not to want them all :-)

Josť

SueR
03-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Diana's comment: an uncorrectable mistake...

You do that!!!

Of course I love what you are creating now, and I like the fact that you left one arm for us to see before it gets smoothed out.

Diana Lee
03-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Thank you Josť!!
Thanks Dusty! I have a closet full of 'em. I keep the boards to practice on.

Diana

Diana Lee
03-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Here's the latest scan. I don't think she is done yet, but I will move on to work on her dress.

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2011/5-photo_3.jpg

Harry Seymour
03-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Indeed it is a beauty.

Diana Lee
03-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks Harry!
Something about the face really bothered me, I adjusted the eyes once, but I felt I lost them again. Using layers I put the reference image over my piece's image, (just the face) and on a separate layer I drew lines around the eyes of the reference. After hiding the reference layer I could see what was what. Yup, I lost them again. Her right eye (on our left) is too high. Dang, I hate this part! Today I will try to fix that.

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2011/5-correction.jpg

Rodman
03-22-2011, 02:48 PM
It'll be a great WIP repair... plenty o pix?

Diane Cutter
03-22-2011, 03:39 PM
She's lovely... you can really feel that sincere reach of hers, so dedicated even at that young age...

Diane

artofnature
03-22-2011, 07:17 PM
You can't even notice it Diana. In fact, I am still looking for the flaw. Such a beautiful piece it would be such a shame to change it and run the risk of messing it up a bit. Persionally, I would leave it. Love the shading and the way her straps cut in slightly on the shoulders. So cute

PatrickHedges
03-22-2011, 08:15 PM
She definitely is cute. I can't wait to see how you go with the fix. I've done them before and usually they've worked out so I'm sure you'll do great.

tigress
03-22-2011, 09:26 PM
I never saw the original so now I watch this one take shape. Beautiful so far. Does spraying the finished piece really do much to protect scratchart? What is everyones favorite finishing spray?

lorna12
03-23-2011, 04:25 AM
To be honest I thought that eye was higher because her head is tilted ever so slightly.

Harry Seymour
03-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Diana, you are providing a wonderful lesson on perfection. We all realize that perfection is unattainable but we strive nevertheless to achieve it.

Diana Lee
03-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Sorry Rod, I didn't take any WIP pictures of the repair. I didn't read this until too late.
Aw, thanks Diane.
Thanks Lesley! I did the repair and I feel better about it, but I bet most won't see the difference. Mostly because the images on the forum are so small. You would have seen the flaw had you seen it in person.
Thank you Patrick! It wasn't too difficult, but I really don't like doing it!
Thank you Fay, I feel safe with spraying and displaying with no glass. I use Ampersand spray and Krylon Matte.
Well, Lorna, you are partly right. Her head is tilted. But the eye was off more than was necessary to make her head look tilted.
Harry, ain't it the truth!?!

Here is the latest scan, and a before and after of her face.

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2011/5-photo4.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2011/5-4_comparison.jpg

artofnature
03-26-2011, 08:40 PM
You are such a perfectionist Diana. You are right. I would not have noticed any difference but may have if I saw it in person. Beautiful subject and scratching!!!

lorna12
03-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Seeing it side by side like that, I can see it...great fix, my friend!:thumbsup:

MuttHut
03-27-2011, 04:31 AM
This is such a beautiful piece Diana, and if you wouldn't have pointed out the fix noone would have noticed, but I know....... you know it is there and you just have to make it right, a job well done.

Wendy

PatrickHedges
03-27-2011, 09:47 AM
That's amazing. If you measure the eye on the nose, you don't notice it, but from eye to eye, you do. That's a brilliant fix!!!

Harry Seymour
03-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Yes I see it. The difference is a difference that makes a difference--particularly to the artist.

Rodman
03-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Ha @Harry!

Diana great piece ...great repair..great example ... not enough pix ( next time ) :) I would have probably left the "out eye "and move the whole rest of the face...I can't believe you took the easy way out ...ha!

artofnature
03-27-2011, 08:41 PM
There's a challenge for you Rodman. How about the dancer with only one eye!!!

MuttHut
03-28-2011, 02:59 AM
There's a challenge for you Rodman. How about the dancer with only one eye!!!

:lol: :lol: Oh Lesely, his imagination is wild enough, but I am sure you got the wheels turning for a new piece.

Wendy

artofnature
03-28-2011, 04:26 AM
I dare him Wendy!!!!

pandorea
03-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Thankyou, Diana for the privilege of watching you work! This, as I have mentioned before is one of those occasions where I would like to have the necessary resources to be able to fly to the States and Canada and lean over the shoulders of our top scratchers and watch them work. For now I will have to be thankful for and with WC!

Buggin3
03-28-2011, 12:04 PM
After seeing the side by side comparison, the change really did make a big difference. Great fix too!! You can't even tell that the eye had to be moved.

Diana Lee
04-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Thank you all for hanging in there with this. I really don't like to do major repairs (like her eye), but they don't scare me like they used to.

This poor little girl has been so neglected so I worked on her a bit. She is so close to being done. A few touchups on the ribbon that is her tutu and a little cleaning up. I actually like this better than the first one.

Here is the latest scan. The next post I make should be the finished piece and I will include some closeups.

Hey Rod, instead of a dancer with one eye how about one eye dancing? In a tutu?

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2011/5-photo5.jpg

SammyH
04-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Oh, Diana, what a special piece. Everything about it is grand. The correction did make a difference and you pulled it off to perfection. Your scratching is so fine and beautiful. The dancer is adorable and charming and the dress/tutu is fantastic. The strong contrast makes this piece sparkle. Excellent!

Rodman
04-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Wonderful diana..

. let both do.....let's ALL do a dancing eyeball in a tutu.

theBoardLady
04-23-2011, 07:38 PM
WOW, she was beautiful the first time and she's looks just as beautiful the second time around. :clap: :thumbsup:

let's ALL do a dancing eyeball in a tutu.

Rod, I'll do Mike Wazowski...:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2011/123973-Mike_Wasowski.jpg

Diana Lee
04-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Diane, he lost his tutu! Poor Mike.

artofnature
04-23-2011, 09:51 PM
This would have to be my favourite of yours Diana. It's hard to choose because there are so many of them. But the drama, the lighting, textures and scratching on this one are surreal. Ooh I love that ribbon around the skirt.

lorna12
04-23-2011, 10:20 PM
She's a beauty Diana!

"...let's ALL do a dancing eyeball in a tutu."

Rod...I'll take that challenge.

pamelalbd
04-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Brilliant work Diana yet again! You say you like this one better than the last, my question is how did you improve on perfection...this has always been a favourite of mine....I think my favourite part of the whole board is the babyish neck and underarms...the little girl chub elbows and hands....l just love how you have captured the baby in child that is trying so hard to be the grown up ballerina, that by the look on her face she will inevitably be. :clap:

annamelia
04-24-2011, 03:12 AM
Your work always amazes me and this is no exception.

FoggyMountain
04-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Absolutely incredible. Thank you so much for the closeups too. Your expertise is astounding.

PatrickHedges
04-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Can't praise this one enough Diana!!

Ltaniea
04-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Great fix Diana - good eye! (har har!)

She's beautiful

03ahmed
04-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Stunning!

Diana Lee
05-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Thank you Sammy!:wave:
Thanks Rod!:wink2:
Thank you Lesley! Let's just hope I don't muck it up spraying it like I did the first one!:crossfingers:
Thanks Lorna!
Thank you Pamela!:heart: That's exactly what I was going for!
Thanks Judy!
Thank you Lynn:D
Thank you Patrick!;)
Thanks Natalie, you are a goof.:rolleyes:
Thank you Irfan!:wave:

Well, I do believe she is done. All that is left is to spray it. (I really don't want to:( )

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2011/5-photo_8_final.jpg

Harry Seymour
05-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Diana--it is gorgeous. Make sure you shake the spray can for 2 minutes as instructed. I find that it makes a difference in the spray.

caribouhills
05-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Beautiful finish Diana.

Diana Lee
05-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Thank you Harry for the advice, I am sure I don't shake it enough at times, but the problem I had with the first one was I dropped the can on the board and damaged it, and then tried to smooth it while it was still wet. So what I need to remember is to hang on to the stupid can while I am spraying! :eek: :(

Thanks Mark!:D

Diana

PatrickHedges
05-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Priceless!!!!

jbeausoleil
05-12-2011, 08:01 PM
I LOVE the way you did the wee bit to bring out the whole skirt! Incredible!!!!

PaintDog
05-13-2011, 02:29 AM
I missed the whole part about the eye surgery - you have the precision of a surgeon, Diana - it worked out perfectly. And the finished piece is superb!!!!

lorna12
05-13-2011, 04:22 AM
Superb once again, Diana. She's just lovely and your work excellent as always!