PDA

View Full Version : Recorded Webinars Available?

Improv
03-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Are the recorded versions of the webinars available yet for purchase?

Thanks

Doug

Johannes Instructor
03-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Are the recorded versions of the webinars available yet for purchase?

Thanks

Doug

All these classes that I am giving due to an agreement become property of F&W media. They own the rights to it so it is not in my hands when these materials are available. The postings of these materials must follow the normal course of the publishing company. My crew has already submitted the previous web classes to them. I got word just today that they should be available by the week of March 14. I am sorry that some of you are anxious to get them. I thank you in advance for your patience.

Improv
03-04-2011, 07:41 PM
I have attended many webinars, some with only one or two people giving them and they manage to get the recording out with in a day or so.

No doubt F&W is having their lawyers go over every inch of the webinars for legal implications. :rolleyes:

The only other explanation for them taking so long to issue the first few webinars is that they have no intention at all of selling them individually and plan on charging through the teeth for a dvd set with all the webinars on. All I need is the first three webinars and I won't be paying a premium for a dvd set.

Johannes Instructor
03-04-2011, 09:11 PM
I have attended many webinars, some with only one or two people giving them and they manage to get the recording out with in a day or so.

No doubt F&W is having their lawyers go over every inch of the webinars for legal implications. :rolleyes:

The only other explanation for them taking so long to issue the first few webinars is that they have no intention at all of selling them individually and plan on charging through the teeth for a dvd set with all the webinars on. All I need is the first three webinars and I won't be paying a premium for a dvd set.
The reason why it took a while for my side to submit them is that we edit out all the unnecessary stuff. there were some interruptions the first classes because many new people were coming in trying to figure out the software etc. The idea is to end up with a polished version of the classes. As far as I have been informed the intention is not to force people to buy the whole set at once but can purchase each individual weekend separately. I even wrote the description of each weekend separately.

sherrysherman
03-04-2011, 09:18 PM
As far as I have been informed the intention is not to force people to buy the whole set at once but can purchase each individual weekend separately. I even wrote the description of each weekend separately.

Are you revising the description of each weekend to correspond with what you actually covered? (which is different from the original agenda/syllabus -- I know you will be covering everything; it's just different in terms of what is getting covered each weekend)

Improv
03-04-2011, 09:25 PM
The reason why it took a while for my side to submit them is that we edit out all the unnecessary stuff. there were some interruptions the first classes because many new people were coming in trying to figure out the software etc. The idea is to end up with a polished version of the classes. As far as I have been informed the intention is not to force people to buy the whole set at once but can purchase each individual weekend separately. I even wrote the description of each weekend separately.

All of that is beside the point. I remember you saying a quite a while ago that you had submitted the webinars.

I'll believe the release when I see it.

How many weeks has it been since the first webinar? More than likely the webinars are not a priority for F&W because they are not a money maker. (Free)

Johannes Instructor
03-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Are you revising the description of each weekend to correspond with what you actually covered? (which is different from the original agenda/syllabus -- I know you will be covering everything; it's just different in terms of what is getting covered each weekend)
The way I am presenting this and how it is organized is to give you all the best teaching possible. I still see weaknesses in the negative painting exercises. This shows me where the problem mostly is with paintings. The symmetrical brain really wants to take over. The reason why on my part there was a period of time to get the first videos out was because we are dealing with text here that when you compress the file size it would become blurry. We had to experiment with several options of compression so you could still read the text and see the slides well and yet be a comfortable size to downlaod was easier said than done. We have worked it out now and are happy with the quality of the classes that will be up for sale. :o I do guarantee that all the points in the syllabus will be covered.

Johannes Instructor
03-04-2011, 09:43 PM
All of that is beside the point. I remember you saying a quite a while ago that you had submitted the webinars.

I'll believe the release when I see it.

How many weeks has it been since the first webinar? More than likely the webinars are not a priority for F&W because they are not a money maker. (Free)

I appreciate your interest improv. Believe me I also want them out for my students to catch up on missed classes ASAP. However because we have a formula now the rest of the web class should follow shortly after without the first 3 week delay we went thru.

sherrysherman
03-04-2011, 09:51 PM
The way I am presenting this and how it is organized is to give you all the best teaching possible. I still see weaknesses in the negative painting exercises. This shows me where the problem mostly is with paintings. The symmetrical brain really wants to take over. The reason why on my part there was a period of time to get the first videos out was because we are dealing with text here that when you compress the file size it would become blurry. We had to experiment with several options of compression so you could still read the text and see the slides well and yet be a comfortable size to downlaod was easier said than done. We have worked it out now and are happy with the quality of the classes that will be up for sale. :o I do guarantee that all the points in the syllabus will be covered.

Johannes, I am confident that all points will be covered. I am not complaining about the differences from the syllabus. I am not concerned about the gap in time or why they occurred.

My point is that the classes are different from the original plan. That is fine with me. My question is: Will the descriptions of each weekend be based on the ACTUAL classes as given? (as opposed to being written based on the syllabus - which is no longer accurate.)

Johannes Instructor
03-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Johannes, I am confident that all points will be covered. I am not complaining about the differences from the syllabus. I am not concerned about the gap in time or why they occurred.

My point is that the classes are different from the original plan. That is fine with me. My question is: Will the descriptions of each weekend be based on the ACTUAL classes as given? (as opposed to being written based on the syllabus - which is no longer accurate.)
The recorded class will follow the actual classes I gave in that order so they are fluent.

sherrysherman
03-04-2011, 10:05 PM
The recorded class will follow the actual classes I gave in that order so they are fluent.

Maybe I'm not being clear. Let me try my question again:

You said there will be a description for each weekend recording. Will the description be based on the actual classes as recorded? (If you already wrote the description of each weekend based on the syllabus, it would not be accurate.)

Johannes Instructor
03-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Maybe I'm not being clear. Let me try my question again:

You said there will be a description for each weekend recording. Will the description be based on the actual classes as recorded? (If you already wrote the description of each weekend based on the syllabus, it would not be accurate.)
Sorry I did not make myself clear. I meant the each class description under the video up for sale so people know what they will buy, like the synopsis of a movie. Obviously some people will be buying these classes in the future that never took a sinlge web class with me.

sherrysherman
03-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Sorry I did not make myself clear. I meant the each class description under the video up for sale so people know what they will buy, like the synopsis of a movie. Obviously some people will be buying these classes in the future that never took a sinlge web class with me.

Great, thanks. That's what I was asking. I believe you're right, that people will buy videos who haven't taken a class - in my opinion, these people should buy the whole set! (Heck, even those who've taken the classes could benefit from the whole set.) :)

Rosemarie
03-20-2011, 03:48 AM
Where do we go to ask for the webinar videos? It is taking a very long time and we who want to purchase should put some pressure on the company!

flowergram
03-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Where do we go to ask for the webinar videos? It is taking a very long time and we who want to purchase should put some pressure on the company!

I'll see if we can come up with a plan, stay tuned.

Gina

Johannes Instructor
03-20-2011, 10:33 AM
I so much appreciate your interest but I signed off the rights of these materials and they belong to F&W Media. I have no say when they will be put them up for sale.

raxu
03-20-2011, 10:59 AM
There is an old saying in Finland, maybe known elsewhere as well
YOU SHOULD MOULD THE IRON AS LONG AS IT IS HOT

You are between fires, Johannes, I feel for you... yet, why does the publisher not understand this simple truth: there are lots of people waiting with their hard earned money to buy these... I bet half of these give up and use the money for something else, if nothing happens.

Johannes, just pass on these messages to the publisher...

Thanks for your efforts, support and professional touch.

lildip
03-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Of all the various workshops or art lessons I've taken, these by far are best.I dropped out of painting (all mediums) because of being discouraged by what I did not know. Now, I want to start up again, and will be buying the webinars lessons even though I've attende almost all of them and plan to finish out the series if possible. Keep up the good work, Johannes, especially the repitious statements, because that's how we all learn and relate. lildip

Rosemarie
03-20-2011, 12:43 PM
I so much appreciate your interest but I signed off the rights of these materials and they belong to F&W Media. I have no say when they will be put them up for sale.

Yes, I know, but how do we get in contact wit F&W?

Dana Design
03-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Yes, I know, but how do we get in contact wit F&W?

Spamming F+W with emails will not speed up the process and may only delay it with having to read and/or respond to the emails.

I'm certain that F+W is as eager to get these out as you are to receive them. And as the webinars are new to F+W, there is a learning curve for everyone. So a bit of patience is in order. Rome wasn't built in a day! :thumbsup:

Cynthia428
04-24-2011, 04:26 PM
These are very large files. I have high-speed internet and the files took 30-60+ minutes each to download. Get a download started and walk away.

Each day is a separate file. This is the only way they can be downloadable. I wish F&W would offer a choice of receiving on DVD even at an extra cost.

Lesson /Size
3 / 320,322 KB
4 / 700,410 KB Oil painting demo
7 / 235,790 KB
8 / 479,535 KB First WC demo

Improv
04-24-2011, 05:05 PM
These are very large files. I have high-speed internet and the files took 30-60+ minutes each to download. Get a download started and walk away.

Each day is a separate file. This is the only way they can be downloadable. I wish F&W would offer a choice of receiving on DVD even at an extra cost.

Sorry, but your internet is not very high speed at all. My cable internet downloaded the first webinar which was 565mb in 14 minutes at an approx. speed of 740KB/sec. These are not very large files these days, unless you don't do much downloading. Large, yes, very large-not so much. Also, 14 minutes for a download that size is quite typical.

nougat
04-25-2011, 04:03 AM
i have the fastest internet available to me and each download did take close to an hour each. however THANK GOODNESS for being able to download them - or the postage would have made the price shoot up!! and i'd have to wait for the postie!!!

Rosemarie
04-25-2011, 09:04 AM

Lesson /Size
3 / 320,322 KB
4 / 700,410 KB Oil painting demo
7 / 235,790 KB
8 / 479,535 KB First WC demo

Cynthia, if you have to download more try to start two or three at the same time. I did and it din't go slower. I got three on the same time as one!

nougat
04-25-2011, 09:55 AM
i tried that too and it worked...actually i tried 6 :) but on checking them i found that a couple had not downloaded properly and i had to do them again. so do check.

litlbitartsy
04-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Am I missing something... where is the link for the videos to download? I didn't see it mentioned and I'd like to get some that I missed.

carol_lee
04-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Am I missing something... where is the link for the videos to download? I didn't see it mentioned and I'd like to get some that I missed.
It is the third thread down (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928448) on the main page of this forum. Second post in bright RED!!!

tennisqueen
04-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Wonder when the second half will become available?????

Johannes Instructor
04-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Wonder when the second half will become available?????
That makes two of us.

tennisqueen
05-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Still waiting for the second half of the webinars to be ready to purchase. What is taking them so long???????:crying:

Rosemarie
05-07-2011, 03:06 PM
It took a rather long time for the first 12 to be available so we will probably have to wait another month. I hope I am wrong though.

Johannes Instructor
05-08-2011, 11:02 AM
It took a rather long time for the first 12 to be available so we will probably have to wait another month. I hope I am wrong though.
I expect them to be available sooner. Just this Saturday I caught one of the employees working on that. She was working overtime to get these out.

Rosemarie
05-08-2011, 11:05 AM
I expect them to be available sooner. Just this Saturday I caught one of the employees working on that. She was working overtime to get these out.
That sounds great!!

By the way I find lesson 6 so stuffed with information that I have watched 3 times by now!!!

tennisqueen
05-25-2011, 08:18 PM
So excited that the rest of the recorded webinars are available!! I put in the WCLIVE code and it does not work. Was that discount only for the first half?

Johannes Instructor
05-25-2011, 08:54 PM
So excited that the rest of the recorded webinars are available!! I put in the WCLIVE code and it does not work. Was that discount only for the first half?
They removed the discount

Rosemarie
05-26-2011, 12:51 AM
I put WCLIVE and got the discount- I doesn't show on that particular page though.

hewill4giveu
05-26-2011, 02:25 AM
Kinda not fair because had they got it in earlier we all could have used the discount. But i would buy them either way.

Johannes Instructor
05-26-2011, 07:43 AM
I put WCLIVE and got the discount- I doesn't show on that particular page though.
You mean it doesn't show the deduction on the payment page but it comes up when you are about to pay?

oCDs01-711
05-26-2011, 08:34 AM
I was able to receive the discount also, thanks to Rosemarie's comment! On Checkout I typed in WCLIVE just to see what happened and it looked like nothing happened. When I continued with Checkout, the discount showed up! I purchased all, now I have the whole set.

Since viewing these programs, my paintings look amazingly fresh! They might start out looking creepy, but by the time I'm close to completing one, it has progressed significantly.

Johannes Instructor
05-26-2011, 10:06 AM
I was able to receive the discount also, thanks to Rosemarie's comment! On Checkout I typed in WCLIVE just to see what happened and it looked like nothing happened. When I continued with Checkout, the discount showed up! I purchased all, now I have the whole set.

Since viewing these programs, my paintings look amazingly fresh! They might start out looking creepy, but by the time I'm close to completing one, it has progressed significantly.
What you are referring to that we professional artists know all so well is called the "ugly" stage which usually happens when we block in the painting. The motivation factor can drop very quickly during this stage so I tend to finish the focal point so something looks good. Then I become encouraged again. The painting usually pops at the very end.

hewill4giveu
05-26-2011, 02:43 PM
hum i tried several times and it never showed the 10 percent discount. I wonder if you have to order so many to get it ? I just ordered one yesterday i will have to wait until the first for the rest. I put the code in but it never took anything off. I emailed them so we will see.

robertsloan2
05-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I've got mine! I had that problem with the 10% discount too but a friend told me about a 15% discount that was about to expire so I got them immediately on that discount. Then they took another 10% off for my VIP thing, bless 'em.

Johannes Instructor
05-26-2011, 09:34 PM
hum i tried several times and it never showed the 10 percent discount. I wonder if you have to order so many to get it ? I just ordered one yesterday i will have to wait until the first for the rest. I put the code in but it never took anything off. I emailed them so we will see.
It has been fixed now.

tennisqueen
05-28-2011, 04:10 PM
I put in the Wclive and never got the discount. I purchased them anyway, and now I have at least, 15, 19, 20, 21 so far that has not been able to download. I am trying 22, as I write this. I called Northlight, they said they would check into, but I am still having a problem. Not sure why some have gotten the discount and others haven't. Is anyone else having a problem with downloading?

oCDs01-711
05-28-2011, 05:54 PM
tennisqueen--I originally had a problem with downloading, or rather with trying to open it once I downloaded because I didn't have the format MP4 on my computer. Who knew?? One of WC members gave me the name of a free program that translates?? MP4 program into a WMP program that I have.

When I last downloaded, I was surprised to see two formats available: MP4 and WMP for Johannes' downloads. I kept having trouble downloading the MP4 and by sheer accident, clicked on the WMP and surprise! :D it downloaded!

It's all a mystery to me. I just know that I can now view the downloads nice, clear, and loud! :D No problem. :clap: :clap: :clap: Hope this helps. But if it doesn't make sense to you, say so and along will come someone who is tech savvy and can explain it better.:D

Rosemarie
05-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Hi!
My downloads went well, a little slow though. Lesson 20 and 21 in MP4 doesn't work and Northlight is looking into that. Corresponding WMV does work. I got the discount when I bought the lessons the 25 May.

tennisqueen
05-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks, but I did try downloaded both and neither one of them worked. I wrote to Northlight, hope to get a response from them.

Johannes Instructor
05-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks, but I did try downloaded both and neither one of them worked. I wrote to Northlight, hope to get a response from them.
What you can do is download realplayer which is free.
http://www.real.com/ (http://www.real.com/)
That has more codecs than windows media to play files.

Johannes Instructor
05-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Ignore the wclive code. It will still give you the discount.

Johannes Instructor
05-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Hi!
My downloads went well, a little slow though. Lesson 20 and 21 in MP4 doesn't work and Northlight is looking into that. Corresponding WMV does work. I got the discount when I bought the lessons the 25 May.

What you can do is download realplayer which is free.
http://www.real.com/ (http://www.real.com/)
That has more codecs than windows media to play files.

Rosemarie
05-30-2011, 01:00 AM
Johannes, I use QuickTime. It is those lessons that is something wrong with. The other Mp4 lessons work fine.

nougat
05-30-2011, 06:39 AM
lesson 20 and 22 don't work for me...:(

Johannes Instructor
05-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Johannes, I use QuickTime. It is those lessons that is something wrong with. The other Mp4 lessons work fine.
Run it in realplayer

Johannes Instructor
05-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Download the free realplayer at http://real.com. That should solve it.

Johannes Instructor
05-30-2011, 08:22 AM
If it doesn't play on realplayer download it again. Sometimes files get corrupted.

Rosemarie
05-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Download the free realplayer at http://real.com. That should solve it.
No Johannes, it is the lesson files that is not working. Has nothing to do with which player you use. NortLight is looking into it.

nougat
05-30-2011, 12:07 PM
i'm still downloading so i can only tell you what has worked so far.
15 and 20 mp4 did not work. so i downloaded the wmv files and changed the file to .mp4
i suspect they may have been named incorrectly.

i use the 'vlc' player.

nougat
05-31-2011, 12:38 AM
i purchased them yesterday, entered the code and got the discount.
it did take ages to download tho..
all eventually worked. some i downloaded in wmv and renamed to .mp4 for them to work. one other i downloaded several times before i got a working copy.

domeland
05-31-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm having problems with lessons 20 and 21 also. It did take me a long time to download the other lessons. It was frustrating to say the least. I did try the real player and the windows media player. It made no difference on which one I used as to whether the download would work or not. Well back to the labor intensive downloading process, maybe I'll get lucky and get 20 and 21 to work this time.:o

Rosemarie
05-31-2011, 03:18 PM
domeland, if you use a PC download the wmv versions of lesson 20 an 21. They do work fine.

domeland
05-31-2011, 03:54 PM
rosemarie thank you. I did get lesson 20 downloaded in wmv version, but now the site is down for maintenance. I'll have to get lesson 21 later. Lesson 20 is working properly now. I just love these lessons, I have learned so much.

Rosemarie
06-01-2011, 01:16 AM
You are welcome! I love them to. They are so information intensive that I view them in small portions.

tennisqueen
06-04-2011, 09:46 AM
I am having trouble downloading 22. I have tried both and neither one of them works. I have realplayer also. I did speak to Northlight, just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem?

Rosemarie
06-04-2011, 09:49 AM
No, I din't have any problem with lesson 22 mp4 version but is is a large file. Some 720 Mb. Takes time to download. Try to download during the night when the traffic is not so high.

nougat
06-04-2011, 10:48 AM
i downloaded this one (22) 3 times before i got a working copy. good luck.

Johannes Instructor
06-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I am having trouble downloading 22. I have tried both and neither one of them works. I have realplayer also. I did speak to Northlight, just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem?
Try realplayer. Download the latest version.

tennisqueen
06-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I do have the latest version of realplayer. :( I don't know what else to do.

Johannes Instructor
06-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I do have the latest version of realplayer. :( I don't know what else to do.
Right click on the file and select open with realplayer.

LadyMadonna
06-05-2011, 06:50 PM
I have purchased all 24 of the Landscape videos and all of them work except for Lesson 20. H&as anyone else had this problem ?
I have emailed Northlight my concerns.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 06:52 PM
I have purchased all 24 of the Landscape videos and all of them work except for Lesson 20. H&as anyone else had this problem ?
I have emailed Northlight my concerns.
yes they are working on lesson 20

Sheri Hammond
06-15-2011, 07:01 PM
I purchased lessons 21 and 22 and only the Sunday lesson woeked and I have real time and followed all the directins if one of them will work then there must be a problem on north lights part. I want to watch Johannes paint the watercolor and I only got the lesson on paining with greens. Frustrating. Hopefully north light will fix the problem!!!

Johannes Instructor
06-15-2011, 08:59 PM
I purchased lessons 21 and 22 and only the Sunday lesson woeked and I have real time and followed all the directins if one of them will work then there must be a problem on north lights part. I want to watch Johannes paint the watercolor and I only got the lesson on paining with greens. Frustrating. Hopefully north light will fix the problem!!!
Download both versions of the same lesson if one doesn't work. There is an mp4 and a wmv option. Get both

Sheri Hammond
06-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Thank you Johannes, the mp4 version worked Thanks again for your wonderful classes I feel confident in my ability to conquer composition with your help

valh
07-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Hi All
Well problems seem to continue with some of the lessons. I have purchased all the lessons and have had little or no problems with them, except for Lessons 20 and 21.
I have downloaded both lessons numerous times, both mp4 and wmv versions. I've used both Safari and Firefox to download. I've tried switching up the file type extensions (.wmv/.mpv) I've tried downloading late at night when it's not too busy. QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player have all been unable to open Lessons 22 and 21. All to no avail. Those two lessons will not open. I am running a mac computer with OS 10.6.7
I emailed NorthLight and received an acknowledging email/apology/we'll get back to you reply. That was on July 8th. Haven't heard a word since despite 2 followup emails. :-(
Anyone have a suggestion??

Rosemarie
07-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Yes, I have a suggestion. I presume you use a Mac. I got tired of waiting for Northlight to remedy the problem and downloaded the wmv version (it is for PC by the way, have some drawbacks when using Flip4mac to watch it).
I used the free Handbrake converter and converted the wmv file to a mp4 file. It works very well.

valh
07-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Rosemarie

Thank you SO much for your suggestion. After I upgraded my very old
copy of Handbrake.......your suggestion worked beautifully! Lessons 20 and
21 are now downloaded, and they open! Yay!
I luv online communities......ASK (Ask Someone Knows) :clap:

Cheers!
Val H

Rosemarie
07-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Rosemarie

Thank you SO much for your suggestion. After I upgraded my very old
copy of Handbrake.......your suggestion worked beautifully! Lessons 20 and
21 are now downloaded, and they open! Yay!
I luv online communities......ASK (Ask Someone Knows) :clap:

Cheers!
Val H

I am glad it was a solution, for and me!