PDA

View Full Version : Watercolor metal enameled palettes

Bobar57
03-03-2011, 11:56 PM
I don't know much about enameling,so I did a bit of research and came up with the conclusion that there are two ways of enameling metal:baked enamel(used in kitchen pots and butcher trays) and painted enamel.
I suspect that many of the watercolor metal palettes or paintboxes that are enameled are the painted way,or am I wrong?
Does anyone knows more about this matter?

Bob

Mayberry
03-04-2011, 02:35 AM
Hmm. Actually, I think you are talking about 3 different types of enameling. The kitchen pots are glazed with vitreous enamel - a glass in powder form that is melted and fused onto the metal at high temperature in a kiln.

Baked enamel refers to painting the item with enamel paint and then baking it at a moderate temperature in an oven to make the paint extra hard. You have to use a type of enamel paint that is meant to be baked.

And then there is regular enamel paint that is painted on the item and not baked.

There are lots of different kinds of enamel paint. The term is vague and can mean any paint that leaves a smooth shiny finish. I agree with what June said in your other thread. Ask the folks at a paint or hardware store. They will know what to use.

laudesan
03-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Baked enamel paint finished are available for the consumer.

Bobar57
03-04-2011, 06:58 AM
Baked enamel paint finished are available for the consumer.

Maybe JJ,but that involves the removal of all the enamel in the palette and baking it in a furnace of sort with the new finish on.

Bob

laudesan
03-04-2011, 07:11 AM
The company will remove the paint on it by dipping it in a solution of something or other, I don't remember what, then they bake on the enamel finish. A small object like your paint box wouldn't be too costly I should think.

Bobar57
03-04-2011, 10:31 AM
The company will remove the paint on it by dipping it in a solution of something or other, I don't remember what, then they bake on the enamel finish. A small object like your paint box wouldn't be too costly I should think.
Oh,JJ,you mean that a company do it for me?I think it's not worst the cost for a $20.00 palette,better I do it with paint enamel.
I ordered a Holbein and those are baked enamel as I was told already.

Bob