PDA

View Full Version : first oil pastel

*Blizzard*
03-01-2003, 02:47 PM
:rolleyes: i only drew this because i was forced to as homework for painting class. i tried oil pastels before (for about 2 min.) and decided i didn't like them. you get little detail. then i found out if you treated them like paint and work in layers you can get a nice result. so because i wanted to pass my class i forced myself to finish this painting of oil pastels. i would love to hear your comments. this was taken from a picture and done in about 3 hours. thank you for your time :D
Blizzard

sundiver
03-01-2003, 02:51 PM
I think this is very good for a first oil pastel! What brand are they? Oil pastels can be a lot of fun to use.
It seems to me that the top of his head would be a little higher than it is now, but that's just MHO.

*Blizzard*
03-01-2003, 03:00 PM
thank you sundiver! you are right. the head is higher then it is. i stopped to save me some time. the hat hand so much detail on it, i didn't think i could brave it on my first one.... the oil pastels are just the cheapest ones i could find. my teacher told us not to get low quality but I'm a poor student:rolleyes: he he he, so there you go. thanks once more for your time:D

E-J
03-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Blizzard ~ your teacher was right ~ at the risk of sounding like a broken record [I must have gone on about this in about four posts this week] I would suggest that you buy the best quality oil pastels you can get your hands on, eg. Caran d'Ache. It looks as though you've really got the hang of the medium already and I bet you'd do wonders with some really nice, creamy, blendable oil pastels! In the meantime, though, have fun! This is a good picture :D

Luvy
03-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Haven't tried oil pastels yet. Looks like you area getting the hang of it though *S*

Mikki Petersen
03-16-2003, 05:08 PM
There is a thread back about two months ago where I had a rant about what awful things oil pastels were. I had a go at a landscape with them and the result was like a drawing with crayolas. Everyone said not to write off the medium until I tried some artist quality oil pastels. So I got some Senneliers and everyone was right! They are like a different medium from the inexpensive student quality Craypas I had tried.

All that aside, you certainly overcame the crayola look. Your portrait here looks for all the world like an oil painting. Hope it gets you a good grade.

Redsy333
03-16-2003, 07:55 PM
I think your use of colors is wonderful! The composition is a unique one and I didnt even notice flaws, it seemed so vibrant that its pleasing to the eye!
I like it;)