PDA

View Full Version : Sheep portrait-practise with airbrush

rewston
03-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi folks
well i just got some new scratchboard so i decided to have a play with it. Having a bit of trouble with it warping and it had a few hairline cracks in one corner that meant i couldnt use all of the board which was a bit annoying but this was just a practise piece anyway. Ive always wanted to have a go at scratchboard with airbrush so heres my first attempt.
Ive learned quite a few things along the way, it was a bit overscratched to start with but knocking it back with the airbrush really helped.
Im sure i could keep working on it but i dont want to ruin it now and i think im in danger of abusing the board too much as its fairly thin. (this is actually cut down a lot from the original size because of the cracking)
As im really not used to doing scratchboard id appreciate some feedback :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/rewston/scratchboardsheepsml.jpg

Katy

birdlover
03-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Wow it looks great. What kind of board--clayboard or esdee?

rewston
03-02-2011, 02:24 PM

sandrawillard
03-02-2011, 02:26 PM
This is a practice attempt????? Yeesh! I can't imagine how spectacular an actual polished attempt would be. If you're planning on throwing this "practice" piece away please throw it my way!

I love your choice of subject, bighorn sheep have always been near and dear to me. Beautifully rendered!

rewston
03-02-2011, 02:30 PM
thank you :)
i always throw myself in at the deep end with my practise attemps haha, i think im just way too ambitious for my own good. I can still see bits i want to improve on but i think if i keep working on it ill drive myself mad.

I dont think its a bighorn sheep, it was a domesticated breed that i saw in a show but for the life of me i cant remember what the breed was. they do look similar though! it was possibly a soay sheep but i think the colour for that was wrong. Its one of the more unusual breeds ive seen

Katy

Diana Lee
03-02-2011, 03:15 PM
YIKES!!!! I would love to see what you can do on a piece of Ampersand! This is great!!

Diana

pamelalbd
03-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Stellar work! Ya you need to get your hands on some Ampersand scratchbord...you'll not have problems with cracking or warping. At least I've sure never had a problem with anything like that! I can't WAIT to see what else you got up your sleeve!

Harry Seymour
03-02-2011, 03:24 PM
This is quite an excellent piece for a practice effort. Well done.

ARTMUTT
03-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Exceptional!! I agree with what everyone above has said!!

Rodman
03-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Amazing...the airbrush is gaining popularity ...it seems. This is REALLY outstanding .... im knocked out..a big WHOA!

Crias
03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
great work - I would love to see a close up on the horn. I think the sepia suites the subject well too! I look forward to seeing more :)

Rodman
03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Did I miss the size?.... airbrush brand?....get your talented paws on some Ampersand boards...

rewston
03-02-2011, 04:08 PM
thanks for the comments everyone :) its great to see all the comments on it.
the sepia colour is actually from the house lights, it is just black and white though it does have a slightly warm colour from the indian ink

size is about 6 and a half inches by almost 11 inches, i had to crop it down a bit, the airbrush is an Aztec airbrush.
heres a closeup for you :)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/rewston/scratchboardsheepcloseup.jpg

lorna12
03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Katy...that's a wonderful piece! Wowzer! Even close-up it looks great!

annamelia
03-02-2011, 05:40 PM
wow!

artofnature
03-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Katy, that's an amazing practice board. Beautifully rendered. Yeah, once you get your hands on some Ampersand you'll soon notice the difference. Brilliant piece.

PatrickHedges
03-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Not too shabby :lol:

Ok, truthfully - Brilliant!!!! But I doubt I'd expect any less from someone of your ability!

PaintDog
03-03-2011, 04:08 AM
Gorgeous!

You people and your airbrushes - now you're making me want one.

Do not need more toys, do not need more toys . . .

rewston
03-03-2011, 07:06 AM
thanks for the comments everyone :) its great to hear the feedback.
I am going to get some Ampersand, a freind is going to get me some 12 x 12 and send it in a box hes already tried to send me twice with other stuff in but im not holding out any hope it will turn up soon. With how the postal service has handled it so far i think it would be quicker if he just threw it in the ocean and let the current carry it across considering the first time he sent it was last may and it arrived back on his doorstep in january for the second time. argh.
Does it really make a big difference? ive noticed with the essdee stuff its hard to do any sort of fine shading with it, it seems to be a bit all or nothing, which is allright if you use the airbrush over it but i just couldnt seem to get in the subtle shading ive seen others do. i was putting it down to lack of practise.

And Paintdog, i picked up mine second hand on ebay and havnt regretted it at all, its made me improve so much with my acrylic work too, i cant recommend them enough even if they can be a total pain to stop and clean every few mintues. I gave my parents a painting in exchange for them getting me a small airbrush compressor and that was me sorted

Katy

Buggin3
03-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Incredible!! Very, very well done. Can't wait to see what you can do with the Ampersand board once you finally receive it. :clap:

objectivistartist
03-03-2011, 05:33 PM
"And Then..."

well done :thumbsup:

MuttHut
03-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Nicely done. Can't wait to see more of your work.

Wendy

03ahmed
03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Amazing work!! I noticed your from Scotland too!! It is nice to see a fellow Scottish scratcher on wetcanvas!!

Oh and Ampersand really does make a huge difference!!:D

Looking forward to some more work!

tigress
03-04-2011, 10:11 AM
I cannot add anything that has not alreadt been said. Great job!!!

Tonalea
03-04-2011, 11:43 AM
This is amazing!!!

Just realized I am a fan of yours on DeviantArt. Haha, long time admirer! =P

Pantherinae
03-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Stunning, I would have guessed it to be twice that size. You've detailed it expertly for something so small.

Amy

artbygail
03-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Katy,
Your sheep is just fantastic. I began scratchboard 3 months ago and wish I could get as far as you have in technique with your first scratchboard. My brain gets stuck in a rut of techniques from previous mediums.
I had a look at your website, love all the fantasy artwork you have accomplished. I read the first chapter of your story, which had me captured right from the first line, can't wait to read more when they appear. Gail

rewston
03-04-2011, 01:40 PM
thanks for all the comments :)
thanks Gail :)
if you mean my homepage my by website its in need of some serious updating considering it says im 18 and im nearly 25! i need to have a go at bugging my uncle about updating it again. if you want to see my more recent work most of it is here http://rewston.daportfolio.com/

FoggyMountain
03-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Beautiful work - you have a lot of talent.

SueR
03-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Beautiful first attempt at scratchboard, but WOW your art on your page is stunning! You've got loads of talent :)

artbygail
03-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Would it be easier to order the boards right from the Ampersand company to your doorstep, rather than through a third person? Tell them your situation.
Gail
http://www.ampersandart.com/index.html

Rowey
03-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Fantastic!!!!
Tracey x