PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Friday 25th February 2011 ***

nola276
02-25-2011, 01:20 AM
Hi everyone, it's 1.20 p.m. in scorching hot Western Australia. Perth's temperature today is predicted to hit 37c, but I've got to tell you it's a lot hotter than that in Forrestfield. I just put the thermometer outside in the shade and got a reading of 41.1c Right now I need an icon for tongue hanging out:eek:. Think I will jump into the spa for a bit then have a little nanna nap.:evil:. BBL, Cheers, Nola.

BDorsa
02-25-2011, 02:26 AM
hi Nola...1:25am here. this is the tongue sticking out smiley :p

I'm going through perimenopause...I'm wide awake (insomnia) & I'm very uncomfortable in my own skin (skin crawling sensation)...and restless...wish I had a valium :(

just found this lovely tidbit while doing some research..."Insomnia and interrupted sleep patterns are especially common during perimenopause, affecting some one-third to two-thirds of all women".

I'll be back later.

kaypainter
02-25-2011, 03:24 AM
Nola 41C! Isn't that about 105F? :eek: :eek:

Hi Bridget. Don't think I've formally said hello. It's 11pm here. Forgot to shut down the computer, so went to shut it down. Had to check if the Friday wash had started. :lol: :lol:

Think that's what they call addiction.

Went to LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum) today. Saw a great exhibit (http://www.lacma.org/art/Lucknow.aspx) on Indian art and culture in Lucknow. Really enjoyed it. Lots of "opaque watercolor" probably also now known as gouache. But I walked there and back and all through the exhibit which probably was about three miles. My legs want to go to bed . Think I better follow them.

Yesterday made a wheatless chocolate cake with mocha frosting. It's okay. Not the best. Still figuring out how to work around using wheat. Some experiments are better than others. Won't throw this one out though. :lol:

Yawning my head off. :wave: :wave: to all on their way.

HAWLTAIN

Kay

BDorsa
02-25-2011, 03:33 AM
:wave: hi Kay, very nice to meet you...you must be on the west coast. Sounds like you had a nice day.
A friend of mine has a gluten allergy. here is a website with lots of gluten free recipes. (http://www.food.com/recipes/gluten-free)

Cheers Nola ! try to stay cool

Yorky
02-25-2011, 03:39 AM
Good morning all from a dull but dry West Lancashire, 51F this morning.

Nola, I would expire at 105 degrees, don't know how you cope.

Impressive exhibition Kay.

Quiet day today, maybe bake an apple pie this afternoon, we have guests to a pre-theatre meal tomorrow evening. Chicken casserole followed by apple pie or apple fool. (we like apples :) )

Out to dinner this evening with one of our Probus friends :thumbsup:

Doug

Lulu
02-25-2011, 03:49 AM
Hi Nola, Bridget, Kay....looks like it's an all-women Wash! so far lol

Bridget, I feel for you, have you heard of natural progesterone to treat your symptoms? It's very effective.

Nola, that is hot:eek:
A nice comfortable 25C for us today. Evenings are getting cooler now too.

Lovely exhibition Kay! and especially so since I am just beginning to experiment with gouache.
I have something on the go (another portrait) on my lap in the lounge watching rugby on tele, it may or may not get posted when it's finished lol

Was great to have a good laugh in the Wash last night, did me good. All that talk of budgies lol

The tv and radio news from Christchurch overwhelms me at times - am close to tears off and on by the sheer enormity of it all for everyone closely involved. Lots of heroic stories though too to warm the heart and make us proud to be 'Kiwi'.
Our National Census was due to take place on March 8 and it has been cancelled. This is takes every 5 years (by law), but obviously in a week's time (and a lot longer) so many will still be displaced. It has been cancelled twice before - 1931 for another big earthquake (in Napier) and in 1941 during the war.

Am still waiting to hear from one more friend, I am presuming that she and her husband have had to evacuate their seaside home.
The aftershocks continue of course. There were more than 4000 after the September 'quake. Imagine having to live with that constant fear.:(

I don't mean to 'bring down' the Wash, but that's my world as it is at the moment.

Edit: Hi Doug, will have to change the all women Wash to All Women and One Man:lol:

monikadeo
02-25-2011, 04:46 AM
Here's adding to the all women and one man wash :D ...

I'm glad it's Friday. My week's, especially mornings are hectic these days. Have to manage to get my gaughter ready for her school in time and have to get ready myself in time :) It's a marathon for us in the morning. Usually when DH is around we split up things to do in the morning.

My heart goes out to all people in NZ who have been affected. Aftershocks will not do any good to the situation :(

I had to look up the budgie smugglers and I agree, it was really fun to ready yesterday's wash. I had a good laugh too.

Bridget, my vocab is improving too with the help of Washers all around the globe :)

Off to a meeting now ...

Have a healthy and creative weekend all ...

-Monika.

Yorky
02-25-2011, 04:53 AM
HELP!

I just tried to send a pm to Rod Webb who lives near Christchurch and I got an error message - no such member! :eek:

There is obviously a problem with the database and I have reported it. However is anyone in contact with Rob, have his email address?

Doug

doppler
02-25-2011, 05:03 AM
Good evening everyone.

Doug ... I'd join you in the last gasp at Nolas temperatures ... Hell... literally. Anything here over 30 with our humidity saps the soul.

I often wonder how the first settlers coped especially the women with those big draggy dresses? Men only had to dress to be in company.

St Nola of the air-con :angel: :thumbsup:

:wave: Bridget and Kay. I did a gluten free diet for 3 months ONCE. A really rude dermatologist said it would help my eczema. It didn't. But .. I lost HEAPS of weight ... because I couldn't eat anything. One bake of gluten free bread has cured me forever. It is really vile :cat:Sorry!
Eczema cured (getting better)with white vinegar (rap dance in the morning ... stingy stuff) and self emollation.

Lulu and Monika ... :wave:

The news from NZ is not getting better.

doppler
02-25-2011, 05:06 AM
Doug, you'll have to ask Lulu but from what I gathered the outlying areas have been quite affected too even though the media focus has been on the CBD. I hope and trust he is OK. Probably phones/powerlines down. No communication.

laudesan
02-25-2011, 05:07 AM
:wave:

My house-mate and I have just finished settling the front gardens in for the cooler weather. We don't get rain in the winter, so heavy mulching is required. We weeded, lined the gardens with newspaper and wet them, then laid down a thick covering of sugarcane mulch and watered again. Looks so nice and fresh too.

Nola, if that was a dry heat I could cope.

Kay, I loved looking at those olde photos. Have you tried baking with rice flour?

Bridget, does your friend have any rice flour recipes? I can't have corn flour or wheat flour. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Doug, I love apple anything too!!!!!

Lulu, I get the shivers everytime I hear Christchurch mentioned on the news :crying: The rain has set in now..

:wave: Monika.

My back is aching, my legs too, so I am going to have a hot shower and do some gentle exercises.

Lulu
02-25-2011, 05:07 AM
His name is Rod Doug, not Rob, perhaps that has been the cause of the error, also his wetc username is just Rod.
The area he lives in is not affected by the earthquake. He no longer lives in Christchurch.

Annie, I often wonder how those women coped with those long dresses!!

Hi Monika and JJ!

laudesan
02-25-2011, 05:10 AM
... I did a gluten free diet for 3 months ONCE. A really rude dermatologist said it would help my eczema. It didn't. But .. I lost HEAPS of weight ... because I couldn't eat anything. One bake of gluten free bread has cured me forever. It is really vile :cat:Sorry! :lol:
I don't eat very much gluten free cakes and no bread, it is dry and yukky. I do eat rice flour wraps, and pasta though.

Yorky
02-25-2011, 05:14 AM
His name is Rod Doug, not Rob,

Thanks Lulu, panic over, Rod is listed I clicked on his username in an old article of his - he was shown as Rod Webb and of course I forgot he was simply Rod :rolleyes:

Time for a holiday.

Doug

nola276
02-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Hi all, just posted my latest painting - Arum Lillies - in the studio. Not before time, this has been sitting on my board for quite a while.

Hi Bridget, I still have problems with my sleep pattern, so I take a 1/4 Restavit before bed. That helps me a lot. I have just gone off my hormone tablets after 10 years, and I am still getting flushes:eek:.

Hi Kay - fellow addict. Chocolate cake is not named in my diet:(. Yes I haven't done the math, but I think the conversion is around that. I found that I had to put the airconditioning on around 9 am this morning. Usually I can get through until 11 or 12.

Hi Doug, I don't think I coped, I may have expired:lol:. Apple pie isn't on my diet either:(.

Hi Lulu, 25c is a nice temp. You've got to have something going for you after what you have been through. Yes the wash cracked me up yesterday. Hope Henry and his budgie are doing o.k.:lol:

Hi Monika, here's to your recent education.

Hi Annie of the Gouache, I am queen of the air conditioning at the moment. I wouldn't have been a good settler. Give me Land lots of Land and a washing machine, T.V. and air conditioning:lol:.

Hi JJ, unfortunately the heat came with humidity too:( although not as high as yesterday.

After a little frolic in the spa and a nanna nap, I finally did some painting, not without difficulties. High heat, air conditioning blasting, fans blowing, watercolour drying out very quickly! Cheers everyone, may BBL, Nola.:wave:

shipbroker
02-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Morning all....

Grey and shortly damp I think.....already been out to Railway Station for the papers, saves going into Town Centre and looking for parking....

Sleep....was going to be a 'b-' when I was wandering around the house at 0600 this morning...but went back to bed and dozed for another two hours so 'b+' it is.....

Had planned a day in garden picking over all of the stuff that was snow killed but if it does rain heavily may go into studio instead..

Back later

geoff

painterbear
02-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Good Morning all,
It is quarter to six in the a.m. here on a wet and now snowing Oakwood. Going to be tricky driving this morning with ice beneath the snow. :rolleyes: I have a Tri-Art Meeting to attend, not sure if I'll be able to get out of our driveway. It slopes down hill to our garage and has walls on both sides that makes it tricky when it is iced over. Larry usually drives the car out, but then I worry about him getting back down the slippery drive. :eek:

He now has a lighter, more form fitting cast to wear after his visit with the Occupational Therapist on Wednesday afternoon. It was amazing to watch her create it out of a sheet of thermoplastic. She also said he only has to wear it if we go out of the house and to sleep in. He has a set of exercises to do that are easy for me, but sooooo hard for him. Things like holding his arm straight out (elbow locked at the waist) palm down; turn arm so palm is up. The trick is the word straight. That is only his goal at the moment because he can only go so far in both directions. He has a regimen of about 10 exercises to do 4Ė6 times a day.

Talked to Christine yesterday and she said Kari and Casey arrived safely. Then she opened her birthday presents and loved them all, of course. She said Quinn was there and he like the portrait I painted of him and she LOVED it because he is already changing into a teenager and looking more mature, so this will be a permanent reminder of how he looked as a boy. :D

You Gouache users are really tempting me....I have a small set of gouache paints that I've never used. I love the look of paintings done with this medium, it's just that I'm still trying to learn how to use my watercolors. :rolleyes:

Beautiful exhibition Kay. Thanks for the link.

Nola, WOW, when it gets into the high 70įFs/22įC here I am unhappy. I would be miserable in the triple digit heat.

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

Johnnie
02-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Hi all

Well when my furnace went I did have heat tho.. I had a couple of small heaters and the stove. It was all good.. Wife and I used to camp in winter some times so a bit of chill is no big deal. Just dress for it like anywhere else.. lol

LULU :
Pipes. Yes I am still playing them. I have the Great Highland pipe that I got interested in due to my grand dad when I was a kid use to play them He was the PM for the Black Watch Pipe and Drum in Montreal in the very early 1900's.. I waited till later in life and bought a set not knowing my wife hated them. So sold them. After she dies 3 years ago I got another set and found a teacher and been messin with them since.
I also have a set of Uilleann Irish pipes.. they are a different kettle of fish.. The sound of them is what the sound track of Braveheart had.. about 90 % of the movie.. A lot of Scots were ticked at that due to the film makers only ONCE had the highland pipes playing in the sound track.. Theme from Braveheart and the theme from the Titanic both are Uilleann pipes being played.. with a bit of flute played at the beginning of Braveheart.

Here is pick of my stand of McCallum GHB.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2011/21575-3863382666_1fb785cb71_b.jpg

Pic of my Uilleann pipes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2011/21575-01.jpg

Here is example of Uilleann pipes..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0KQTv8qvkE&playnext=1&list=PLC10EC40D02D83E9B

Here is example of Highland pipes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmwoeBJpcDs

If there are any fans out there who enjoy listening to these instruments if you go on Youtube and type in Uilleann or Bagpipes there is enough videos etc on the instruments that will play for months... Bands, solo's groups. Pipe and Drum corps.. etc.. Just thought some of you might just like to know this. ; - )

Hope all is well in NZ and have a good day all..

Johnnie

shipbroker
02-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Johnnie.....and don't forget the Northumbrian Pipes please?

rgds

geoff

ReggieS
02-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Just passing through! HAVE a great day all!
Til later .
Off to drive in the snow which just started and is coming down heavily! expecting 14 in!

Reggie

Flattwo
02-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi to All

Nice and sunny here today, in the small country sticking out into the North Atlantic

Johnnie, thanks for the bagpipe photos, my Grandfather served in the Black Watch regiment, mainly in India

Geoff, here is a photo of Northumberland Piprs

Henry

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2011/3457-northumbrian_pipes.jpg

Johnnie
02-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Johnnie.....and don't forget the Northumbrian Pipes please?

rgds

geoff

Hi Geoff

Well I did not forget them.. lol. I just don't have a set.. If you wish to see and hear them tho go on youtube and type in Northumbrian bagpipes and there are a lot of players playing them.

Henry:
Yes I remember him as a kid going to visit and would walk in the house and he would be there dressed to the hilt in his Black Watch kit playing away. My grandmother would be screaming at him to stop but he would not.. Told her Johnnie like em if no one else does.. lol.. I am the only one in all my relatives other than my grand dad that had any musical ability..

Northumbrian do have a great sound. Very similar to GHB actually..

Johnnie.

We getting a storm here again.. Calling for 20cm or so in the Niagara area.. Oh well, I will just stay in till its over.. Canes and snow just don't mix.. lol

ScarletLake
02-25-2011, 08:10 AM
HI All

TGIG TGIF TGIF even if I don't work a JOB right now.

Carolyn - So good to hear you guys are having such a good time.

Doug - glad you got to visit with your sister

Lulu - I have a Charles Reid book on painting flowers.

Reggie - Glad that you had a good vacation

Uschi - Happy Belated Birthday to you. When is your cruise??

Darla - What concert are you taking the girls to?

Bridget - I LOVE Myrtle Beach - used to vacation there every year and then was back there about 3 years ago. I really would like to move there. I am hoping to get back there soon. Last time I was there I visited the Chapin (sp) art museum and painted with a group in watercolors. Also took my family to Cagney's for dinner.

Char - What printer do you have for your art prints? a friend is wanting to purchase one.

Ona - did I read that you have only been doing watercolors for 3 years?? How is that possible? did you used to do other art before WC?

We've got SNOW in our town. It looks like a blizzard out there with the wind blowing. I'm glad I don't have to get out today.

Anita

Char -

Scene Chaser
02-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Good Day All,

We are escaping the snowfall this time. For once itís good to be north, as the storm is south of us. My brother, who lives just west of Detroit, already has a few inches.
Tomorrow we will get 1 to 2 inches.

All this talk of gouache. Before long weíll have to rename this site to the Morning Gouache. :) I have been tempted, too.

Doug, Iím starting to feel a little jealous that I missed out on your apple pie.

For the first time in a week, I slept through the night without a headache. Perhaps the hour of moderate exercise helped.

Johnnie, I love the pipes and have a practice chanter. No one nearby to give lessons, though, so someday Iíll have to study on my own. If I can ever get my finger to work properly again, that is.

Annie, I still am amazed to see the Amish women in my area wear long, black dresses while working in the garden on a sunny afternoon.

Nola, Iíd be sitting in an occasional cold bath if I lived there.

Just working around the house today.

Bill

ona
02-25-2011, 08:40 AM
:wave: everyone

Anita, yes I've only been painting in watercolour since 2008 apart from a couple paintings as a child. Before that I did drawings in pen like this one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2011/131562-AmIInTrouble.jpg

so yes I've done art in some way for many years but just doodles. Most of which got torn up.

Struggling with the increase in meds today so I'm going to say what Char or Uschi are going to say:wink2: Have a great day everyone

Ona

laudesan
02-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Bill how is your progress coming alone?

Johnnie, I love the bagpipes. I used to dance competition Highland Dancing when I was a child.

Anita, I have three of Charles Reid books. I went through a CR period :-))

Poor Larry, the things we take for granted, he is struggling with. It is good he has some movement though.

CharM
02-25-2011, 09:16 AM
I want it to stop snowing!

Good morning Painter People... I can't stay to chat... Ted and I have an appointment in town this morning and it's going to be slow going... It's snowing to beat the band at the moment and it's not going to let up any time soon...

So, Ona... Char won't be saying much this morning... just hoping you feel better!

And Lulu... my heart is with you...

Anita, I'm going to be selling my big printer, I think... I don't make many prints these days as the little 5x7 originals sell much better. It's a great printer, though... an Epson Sylus Pro 4000 which is no longer being produced.

I have to sign off now... it's time to head outside to begin clearing snow off the vehicles, porch, sidewalk, driveway... *sigh* I hope that you all have the very best day possible! :heart:

painterbear
02-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Hi All,
It is SNOWING here in the Dayton area to beat the band. This is on top of the layer of ice that resulted from hours of heavy rain last night before the temps dropped low enough to freeze it. Schools cancelled, the Base is even on a 3 hour delay, and my Tri-Art Meeting has been cancelled as well. I'm happy about that, because I didn't know how I was going to get there starting with getting the car out of the garage. :rolleyes: Now I can stay home and paint instead. :D

Anita, Glad you don't have to venture out today. You are going to get even more snow than we will because you are farther north. I'll have to wait another month to meet Donna Clark though.

Ona, white light heading your way re the increase in meds. :grouphug:

Bill, Glad you don't have to worry about clearing your l-o-o-n-g driveway today. We're getting your share of the snow it seems.

:wave: to all who were here before me.

SYL,

Sylvia

happhoto
02-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Happy Friday Washeroonies!!

5 am here in the great northwet! Right now it's the great White north:eek: Temp is -6C 20F and all the snow from yesterday has now turned into a layer of ice over everything! I'm expecting Anne's school to be at least two hours late if not closed today! We had a good day yesterday, stayed home, Anne did schoolwork (grading papers and writing assessments mostly) and I Fiddled about in the kitchen. Made Roast beef (eye of round a fairly tough cut) with dijon caper sauce...oh my goodness it was good!!:thumbsup: The trick with tough beef is to slice it thinly across the grain and it's as tender as can be!

Did no painting at all yesterday, but plan on getting some done today hopefully! Whether Anne gets out or not, I have errands and chores to get done so will be out and about for a portion of the day at least!

Nola, at your temps I'd be a sweltering mess! I tend to like temps below 25C in fact 18C-25C is about ideal!

Bridget, hope you were able to get back to sleep!

Kay, good to see you popping in! I love visiting museums...We belong to several here locally. Right now the Tacoma Art Museum has a Norman Rockwell exhibit that will start this weekend...I'm excited!!
http://tacomaartmuseum.org/ Then there's the Seattle Art Museum and the Museum of Glass, and even the Boeing Museum of Flight!!...and many others!!

Doug, it was fun video chatting with you yesterday! Now I am even more excited about my palettes!!

Lulu, the news from Christchurch would overwhelm anyone! And for those of us who live in active earthquake zones it's extra scary as well. All we can do is hope and pray for the those involved! I know several emergency medical teams have left here on their way to NZ to assist.

Monika! It's always tougher when you're doing it all alone! I'm sure your DH misses the morning routine as well!!

Annie, I have a feeling many women did not dress in those big baggy dresses when no one was about!! Not in those temps!!

JJ congrats on getting the gardening done! You've earned a nice cool evening shower!!

Geoff, glad you got back to sleep for a couple of extra hours!!:thumbsup: Now you're ready to take on the day!!

Sylvia! Glad Larry's gotten a much lighter cast now! I'm sure the exercises will get easier as he does them! I'd be worried about getting out of your driveway on icy mornings too!!:eek: and getting back in could be even more scary!! I'm not even slightly tempted by gouache! I have three lifetimes (at least!) of work to do on understanding watercolors...and much less time to do it in!! Glad that Christine is happy with the painting...but not surprised at all, it's a good painting!!

Johnnie, glad you had alternate heating arrangement! I tend to keep our house "cool" anyway so I often wear a sweater inside. Love the bagpipes, must be my Irish/Scottish lineage...makes me shiver!!

Anita, good to see YOU popping in as well! We used to go to Myrtle Beach every year as well (but we lived in South Carolina at the time) I mostly remember the long hot drive!!

Bill, Vacation is almost over!! Has your equillibrium gotten any better at all?

Reggie, I enjoy driving in the snow...I hope you do as well!:evil:

Ona, I think your level of "natural" talent is very high...and your concentration and effort really put you into a class by yourself!! Your work is amazing!! And I'm sure Char and Ushci will be happy to be quoted by you today!!;)

I'm going to look on Anne's school website and see if they've listed any information about today!
Back later!!
hap

Strawberry Wine
02-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Morning Washers ! - 3 C. and it has just started snowing lightly. The forecast is for only a couple of centimetres though.

We got a call late yesterday afternoon that Dan's Mom is being transferred to a Rehabilitation Centre this morning. But not the one we were all hoping for. This one is near the centre of Toronto and we had put in a request for the one just north of Toronto, up near where Ona lives. It would have made the drive down and back several times a week a lot easier. Anyhow, Dan's mission today will be to find and pack up a good amount of clothing to take to her in the Rehab Centre. I read on their website that "everything" must have a label with her name on it. That's not going to happen today.. I checked everywhere yesterday afternoon for clothing labels and I don't think they even exist anymore.. The best Dan can do is buy a water proof marker and put her initials on any clothing item that has it's own label. :rolleyes: The Good News is she is making Progress :thumbsup:

Bill, :clap: on the good sleep and no headache. Your finger will get better. It just takes time and exercises.

Geoff, yeah on the B + sleep

Anita, I only print 5 x 7's and the occasional 8 x 10. I have always used an HP. Our latest one is the C4500 series. I have prints that I made at least 8 years ago and they have not faded at all. I print on a very cheap watercolour 90 lb. paper.. Generic brand that I can pick up locally.. I can print 2 - 5 x 7 on each sheet when lined up correctly.. I put a 8 x 10 matte around them, place them in a crystal clear bag. I sell a lot of these whenever I am in a show. I use the "normal" print quality setting on the printer as I can't see any difference when using "best". If you need any further information just P.M. me

Sylvia, so glad that Larry no longer has to wear the cast all the time... Physio will get easier every week. I still need to paint a portrait of Devin. I can't seem to find just the right photo reference.

Monika, My son Mark tells me that every morning is a bit crazy (to put it mildly) getting the boys up, fed and ready to head out the door by 7:30 even when he and Sarah are sharing the work.

Nola, when I think of Spa, It means a Hot Tub here but I can't imagine that you are dipping into 90 degree water at your temps.

Time to get moving and see that Dan has everything he needs before heading south to Toronto.

:wave: to all I have missed. BBL

Cheers,

Gail

Flattwo
02-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi

I thought this BBC2 programme tonight at 9pm about Australian art might interest UK viewers (and Australian viewers if only they could receive BBC)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00z09hp
Henry

watercolourfanatic
02-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi Folks. :wave: 2pm in the (again) sunless UK. 12C+. A hectic day for one reason or another. Just back from taking the boys (4 & 7) to Frankie & Benny's for lunch. The place was heaving with families and so service was on the slow side.

Yesterday the heating failed to come on :( and so a call to British Gas. The engineer is supposed to be coming `between 1pm and 6pm' We tried to put it back to 2pm so had to rush lunch. Still only 15 minutes later home than planned and he hasn't been yet fortunately.

Still in the mire with the Avanquest Fix-iT software. :eek: The e-mail total has now reached thirty and the latest `fix' hasn't worked either! I'm starting to lose sleep over this. Whatever is tried I get the same negative message `cannot find the installed application...'. It can't go on much longer - or can it?

Of course my troubles are miniscule with what is happening elsewhere. Best wishes to everyone.

Peter:)

Uschi
02-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!

-2C and very fine snow coming down but we too aren't expecting much because it is going south of us.

I am working in the gallery this afternoon. Was hoping that the framing stuff would have arrived so I could take the paintings with me instead of having to make an addition trip but it was not meant to be. It was the first time I dealt with this company and I have no idea what shipping option they are using.

Son and DIL are back from Jamaica so I don't have to rush and feed kitties any more:thumbsup: When they arrived in Jamaica their hotel was overbooked and they had to find another place to stay:eek:

Today in two weeks I am off for my cruise:clap:

Gail, you can order them from Mabels Labels (I know that because my son works for them) HERE (http://http://www.mabel.ca/) is the link. They are located in Hamilton.

Ona, I hope that the nasty medication at least helps your symptoms!!!

Hap and Gail did such a great job of posting and addressing everyone here so there is no point me repeating everything so instead of "what Char said" I'll say "what Hap and Gail said":)

I'm starving so will head down into the kitchen to prepare my oaktmeal and bluebery breakfast.

:wave: Uschi

Scene Chaser
02-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Sylvia, Glad you got to stay home today. Glad, too, larry is improving.

Sorry Iím not sharing the snow with so many of you south and east of me Drive carefully, Char.

Hap, You should own a restaurant or at least a catering service. Iíd be a constant patron. My finger is improving slowly, but the equilibrium problem is not. I understand that it tends to worsen for the first thirty days and then levels off. I have a week to go. Lots of decisions to make.

Gail, Happy that Danís mom is making progress. Too bad she couldnít be placed further north. I like your printing ideas.

Peter, hope your heating is back on soon.

(((Ona))) (((Bridget)))

Hi Uschi.

BTW, Has anyone else not received an invitation to Kate and Williamís wedding?
This is not the first time Iíve been left out.

Doug probably has an invitation and is keeping it a secret.

Bill

LynnM
02-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Hi everyone :wave: Lots in this morning....page 3 already!

Love the pipes, too, Johnnie, thanks for the links. Henry, too, I didn't realize there were so many different types.

Gail, I sent you a PM, you can get iron on label fabric at Fabricland that you can put through the inkjet printers.....not sure if your HP is one.

Christchurch is in the back of my mind, we are so lucky here, just a few rumbles now and again.

Yes, Uschi, the snow is south of you, right here! but worse further down I am sure. I was supposed to travel to Ann Arbor this weekend for dancing, but am too pooped from my marathon of sewing, I need a few days of nothing. Just as well, not keen on driving that far in the snow.

People were asking, so here's a photo of the latest dress

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2011/97813-June.jpg

It is on its way to the new owner, and I am going to paint for a few days before starting the next one. The other recent creations are on my blog here. (http://www.ecdcostume.printinsights.com), I don't want to take up space here.

Must dash, brushes calling, greetings to all I missed (what Hap said!), and all to come. :grouphug: for those in need. special ones to ((((Ona)))) and ((((Bill))))).

Yorky
02-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Hi Bill, no, it must have been lost in the post. May turn up on spec. :D

Sorry your balance problem isn't improving, what an awful side effect from the antibiotic. You would think they would mention it. Nothing so unsettling as dizziness, I get it sometimes.

Peter have you tried doing a Recovery to before you first installed it? I would do that and ask for your money back.

If you have a PC with Windows 7 there's a large update this week.

Thanks for the heads up Henry, I'll record it, we're out tonight.

We cross posted Lynn, lovely sewing.

Bagpipes - I love the sound of bagpipes drifting across the valley - and that's as near as I want to be :lol: :evil:

Doug

shipbroker
02-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Afternoon all....

Peter....Avantquest...are you using it for speed-up and registry problems only?.....there are lots of others and cheaper if you abandon the problem you have.

Doug probably has an invitation and is keeping it a secret.

....don't worry you would know if Doug ( or any of us got one!)

Bill...your problems are just going on and on...I would be up the wall by now!
((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))

Weather now warm,but not sunny, and dry so have had 90 minutes in garden just sorting out the front area with dead plants.......need a chain saw in for next job.

Henry, saw that Australian Art programme for tonight...will be watching.

cheers

geoff

Flattwo
02-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Bill, I did not get an invitation to the royal wedding either :D

What would your and others here suggest as a wedding gift for the couple? I would give them a £20 Ikea voucher :)

Henry

shipbroker
02-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Johnnie...
I actually live in the ancient Kingdom of Northumbria and know the music well...especially as delivered by a young lady called Katherine Tickell.....

rgds

geoff

olliewood0702
02-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Hello all,

It's been a nice quiet morning here all by myself. I have today off....and Larry went over to Detroit to watch a Redwings game with Josh who is there for the Motor City Tattoo Convention. It was a men's night out. He's on his way home now.

Then we head back over to Pontiac for the concert with our granddaughters tonight.

Anita, it's the GLAMOUR KILLS tour and the main band is THE READY SET. THey are the NEXT BIG THING and Kaitlyn (13 1/2 yrs old) is madly in love with their lead singer, Jordan.:rolleyes: :lol: It should be an interesting evening with our girls. Anyway we might drop in and say HI to Josh after the concert. I'm just glad we didn't get the snow they'd predicted.

Char, I'm SO SICK of winter ugh......hurry up Spring!((())) hope your cold is a little better today.:heart:

Syl, glad Christine enjoyed all her gifts, and that Larry has a new lighter cast and doesn't have to wear it all the time. Glad too that your Tri meeting was cancelled.

Gail, poor Dan...it must be very hard on him with all the travelling.

LuLu, the news out of Christchurch is so heartbreaking. Children texting that they're buried and now they say as time goes on it'll be mostly a recovery effort.:crying: :crying:

Thinking of you (((ONA))) as you increase your meds and have side effects.:heart:

Well, I need to get going and accomplish some things here.

Waving to you all, I've read the complete wash and love reading ALL OF YOUR POSTS!!

Kay, GREAT showing at the museum! I really MUST get my gouache out.:thumbsup:

Have a WONDERFULLY PRODUCTIVE AND CREATIVE DAY EVERYONE!:wave: :grouphug:

Europa
02-25-2011, 12:49 PM
AFTERNOON WASHGANGEROOS!!!

Been busy on the phone today trying to organise some blood tests for me and Mum - I have a heart check up every year so have to have a fasting blood test before hand. Was told I could only have the test at the latest at 10.05 am any day which didn't make sense to me as I was the one fasting so it made no difference if I fasted more than the 12 hours.

Eventually I decided to go to the local health centre where you can walk in and have a blood test without an appt = then they rang me back from the doctors to say that I could have the test later so am now booked in with SWMBO (who is also due one) for 11.20 on Monday.

Annie - I suffered from eczma from being a child - I tried all sorts of creams until eventually a new doctor sent me for x ray treatment at the skin hospital in Manchester when I was in my 20s - where I saw the same doctor I had seen when I was 7. They also made a special cream for me but for the life of me I cannot remember the combination of ingredients although I know one of them was coal tar paste. I was told by a herbalist chap once to use creosote and funnily enough the cream they made for me smelled of creosote.

Am out tonight with the girls - so am looking forward to that - tea will be earlier tonight although it doesn't take me long to get ready - after all there is not much you can do to improve perfection........LOL ;)

I love the bagpipes - at my Dad's funeral he didn't want any hymns - he just wanted someone playing an Irish dirge on the penny whistle. Unfortunately we couldn't find someone to play the penny whistle so we had an Irish piper instead who piped him into the church and then piped him out - that was all the music he had. People commented on how dignified it was.

The funny thing was though that the people sat in the church didn't know we were having a piper so sat there totally unprepared as he started to play - boy did they jump in their seats......LOL........my Dad would have loved that bit.

K am off to sort out tea - catch you all later.

All those dealing with snow - take care on the roads - white light to those in need.

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

MRSBB
02-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Good morning all my washer friends. Gosh 3 pages long. No way I can answer all that. So I'll say what Darla just said.

Lynn, I will check out your site later. I wanted to make the Orange Muffins that Lula posted. I have a question??????????????? Is 100gms of melted butter like about 1 Cup?? I'm not sure of the conversion, so thought I'd ask.

Hope everyone is staying warm. Have a great day...........Lenore

painterbear
02-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Hi all,
Waiting for our baked acorn squash to warm up. We decided to have them for lunch because they didn't go with anything we are having for dinner. This way we can enjoy their lovely flavor (accented with butter and maple syrup) all on their own.

Didn't get any painting done...put a couple of washes on one that was already done. But the bathroom and kitchen are all clean and shiney now. :D

Lenore,
My measuring cups have metric measures on one side and our measures on the other...check yours out. My Oxo cup shows 8 oz. (1 C) equals a little less than 250 milliliters (not sure what that is in grams though). Maybe one of our Canadian friends can be clearer. Lulu's orange muffins sure do sound good, don't they.

Pat, Whenever I have to do a fasting blood test, I always have a snack as late as I can the night before. I can't go much beyond the 12 hours because of diabetes and I get shaky. Another tip they gave me was to drink plenty of water before coming in because it makes your veins more full and easier for them to find with the needle (also helps if they want a urine sample);).

Darla, Enjoy your peaceful day all to yourself. We don't get many of those, so take advantage when you do.

Lynn, The dress is stunning. Weren't fashions attractive then. I'm not too fond of what I see at award shows and fashion shows these days.

:wave: to all who were here between my visits.

SYL,

Sylvia

LynnM
02-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Lenore, a 100 milliliters of water is 100 grams, that's from the definition of the weight of a gram, so since a cup is about 250 milliliters (of water), 100 gm of melted butter should between a third and a half of a cup. Anyone know the specific gravity of melted butter :confused: I do think 1 cup would be too much! My muffin recipes usually call for one third of a cup of oil or butter....for twelve large muffins.

Thanks, Doug and Sylvia, yes, the fashions appeal to me very much, but they were not very practical by our standards, all those trailing skirts!

shipbroker
02-25-2011, 02:22 PM
..according to one French site a cup of butter is 227 grammes for American recipes.......but variances seem to be in play on how warm the butter must be to meet specific gravities!!

geoff

MRSBB
02-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Hi again. Thank you everyone for the help. You folks are the best. Bob has a convert chart on his computer that converts anything. It's a good thing I had him check as it is just a little shy of a 1/2 cup.

Now let me thank Lulu for the recipe. OMG are they ever good, and so easy to make. This one is going into my favorites. Bob also said to thank you, I'm sure he has already eaten half of them, and in my muffin tins we got 16. Yum, Yum.

I wish I could add a link to the chart, but Bob just emailed me the chart and I checked the properties and it doesn't give the site. So if anyone wants it send me your email address and I will forward it to you. It is an exe file so it just works and you can pin it to the task bar. It's a neat little program.

Thanks Sylvia, Lynn, and Geoff.

Sylvia, we do the same thing with squash by making a meal just out of them. I haven't tried the maple syrup. I like them with butter and sour cream mashed up. One thing I do use maple syrup on is butternut squash, sliced with apple slices and baked with butter, maple syrup and brown sugar. That's yummy too.

Now I need to check out Lynns site and also the one on bag pipes. I love to hear them but they usually make me cry. It just sounds so soulful and I'm a big softy.

Catch you all later...........Thanks, Lenore

MRSBB
02-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Lynn, I just looked at your page and left a comment. I also like this one you posted, the commission. Beautiful work. You better get a hold of Hollywood, you can do it all. I just love the hats........Lenore

Lulu
02-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Good morning from sunny and warm Cambridge.
Have just read right through the Wash, wow, what a lot going on.
Lynn, your sewing is so lovely!
Gail, glad Dan's mum is making progress. sorry she didn't get into the rehab place you would have preferred. :eek: to naming all her clothes!
Glad Larry is making progress too, Sylvia.
Bill, what a long drawn out recovery for you. ((( )))
(((Ona))) too.
Johnnie, thanks for the pipes links. I heard the pipes played in Ireland too. Very haunting. Love love love the sound!

Well, what a dissapointment, I was sure that someone in the Wash would have a wedding invite - Might be Pat and she's not saying so everyone doesn't get jealous lol

Hap, we've lived with minor earthquakes all our lives, in this country you do.
Used to just laugh them off (the minor ones). We haven't felt one since we moved to Cambridge though, but nowhere is immune here.
We are so very very grateful for all the international assistance we are getting in this disaster.

Enjoy your time with the girls Darla.

Lenore, so glad you got the butter quantity sorted (I would have said 4 oz) and you enjoyed the muffins. Yes, they are so easy to make, and tasty!

Uschi, thinking of you as you prepare for your cruise. :envy:

Will have to say 'hi' to everyone else, my tummy is rumbling and I need breakfast. :wave:

artmom
02-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Everyone keeps talking about how long the WASH is. (BTW, you can make your pages lots longer than 10 posts.)

We have a lot of folk who comment on each and everyone's post; just as I used to back in 2003 - 2004. It's a great way to get to know the members.

Now, I frequently just read and don't post. I do use PMs a lot when folk have serious issues I can relate to or, hopefully, help with. I do read each and every post and some days just can't deal with the amount of sickness, sorrow, etc. shared. I've become a weak old biddy!!! So, know that I care, but just can't handle it. Every so often, it overwhelms me enough that I have to stop checking in for a few days.

Just wanted some of the newbies to understand why I come and go as I do. :) You oldies know me well enough! :evil: :lol:

Great to see newbies and oldies here.

Lyn

Lulu
02-25-2011, 05:49 PM
((((Lyn))))

CharM
02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Hiya... we cancelled our appointment this morning and were able to re-book it for first thing after lunch... then, we cleaned up the porch and driveway... we didn't get much snow at all, but it was blowing and drifting us in... it took some amount of time to get to town because the roads had not been ploughed in some time and they were snow packed and rutted...

The sun came out for awhile, but we have more snow on the way... so, while in town we stopped and picked up some bread, milk and coffee cream...

By the time the Spring Meet rolls around, Larry won't have to use his wrist as a handicap, Sylvia! :) :p

Lenore, 100 grams is equal to 100 ml... one cup of melted butter would be 250 ml... so, as Lynn mentioned, you'll need between 1/3 and 1/2 cup. I made those muffins and I added a handful of dried cranberries to the batter. My family absolutely loved them and insisted that I make them again immediately! Oh... I didn't have any oranges, but had lots of clementines. I figured 4 clementines equalled an orange and the recipe worked perfectly.

Canada's system of measurement is metric... but most of our cookbooks are imperial! :eek: I had to ask Matt to convert the quantities for me... :)

Your gown is beautiful, Lynn!

Gail, I sure hope you can find some labels for your MIL's clothes... I can understand why they're needed though...

Lyn-sis... I'm sorry that you're not feeling up to par lately... Hopefully with the onset of Spring, you can get outside into the fresh air and sunshine...

Matt's girlfriend is here for dinner tonight... it'll just be pizza... I have put the dough in our breadmaker, and the toppings are all prepped, ready to go... so, I just have to roll out the pies and everyone can top their own...

Have a great evening everyone!

happhoto
02-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Home again from my errands and (most of the) chores!

Brilliant sunshine today but cold and gusty with the wind!

Lulu, yes, we get used to them...not to the big ones, but to the lesser ones we tend to take with our way of life. Otherwise it would be too difficult to live here under that big shadow all the time...and truthfully many can't deal with that anticipation and fear so move away. All you(all of us) can do is be prepared "just in case" and get on with our lives.

Whoops, just got a call from Annie...she's having one of her equilibrium migraines....I'm going to go and take her to the doctor's office.
hap

MRSBB
02-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks again Lulu. Wonderful recipe. My next adventure will be to try Gail's bagels. We'll see where that takes me, haha. We also like bagels.

Hi Lyn. I totally understand where you are coming from. I try and stay out of the wash when I'm down also. When my Mom died, she was the last of her family, Father Tierney(my cousin) said we are now the older generation. How right he was. Special :grouphug: to you.

Char, when you said you family insisted on you making the muffins again, that is what convinced me to try them. Your pizza's sound good with everyone topping off to their liking.

Gail, I wish you the best with you MIL's recovery. Just a note of precaution, don't let her have any jewelry there. When we had to put my Mom in a nursing home they stole her rings and even an afghan and sweaters my sis and I made for her. Such is the world we live in now.

Hap, I hope your Anne get to feeling better.

Hope the snow quits for all you folks. I'm not even there and I am sick of winter already...........Cheers, Lenore

ScarletLake
02-25-2011, 08:29 PM
HI All

Oh OH I feel a cold coming on :( :( :(

Everything is done here at home and I am off to crawl under the covers.

I haven't had a cold in a long time.

Anita

LynnM
02-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks Lenore and Lulu and Char, I do enjoy it, but find the hand sewing a bit of a strain, must get new reading glasses.

More hugs in order (((Anita))), (((Lyn))), (((Hap's Annie))) and anyone else wanting one :grouphug:

BDorsa
02-25-2011, 10:05 PM
checking back in for the night...hopefully I'll be able to sleep. :crossfingers:

:grouphug: hugs all around :grouphug: lots of healing vibes being sent out to all who need it, which is practically everyone...lovey vibes going out to y'all too:heart:

JJ: here's the website for rice flour recipes (http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/rice-flour).
I've never eaten gluten free food - it does sound yucky

Johnnie: I adore bagpipe music...I'm descended from some Scots from "the paisley region near Glasgow" (??)...at least that's what I'm told. I have no idea where that is. Our family name from there is Dick. (no joke). Bagpipe music stirs something in my soul.

Anita: My painting below "Highway to Hell" (full sheet size) was accepted into a juried show at the Burroghs-Chapin Art Museum in Myrtle Beach a few yrs ago. cool that you know the area. I love living down here. :heart:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2011/614072-Highway_to_Hell.jpg

:wave: until tomorrow.........

Scene Chaser
02-25-2011, 11:10 PM
(((Lyn))) hap's (((Annie)))

How's the cold, Char?

laudesan
02-25-2011, 11:18 PM