PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your scanner dust free?

FreckleFace
02-25-2003, 03:40 AM
Forgive me if this has been asked before - I did a search but couldn't find anything.

I have a new scanner and I'm scared to scan any pastel pictures because I know they'd leave dust behind. I'm not a big fan of using fixers, but even if I did then I'm sure some dust would still fall on the scanner.

How do you all keep your scanners clean?

soap
02-25-2003, 03:58 AM
Just put your painting on the scanner very carefully, and wipe the scanner with a clean dry cloth before and after!

That should do the trick.

S.

E-J
02-25-2003, 06:42 AM
I use a digital camera instead :D

Off-topic, whereabouts in Berkshire are you? I lived there for six years :)

llis
02-25-2003, 07:19 AM
Put a piece of clear plastic sheeting over the scanner bed before you place your pastel on the scanner bed. Then you clean the plastic each time instead of the scanner bed.

Pastel dust will get on everything no matter what you do, but it's worth the mess. :)

FreckleFace
02-25-2003, 08:15 AM
Ilis Of course! That seems so obvious now! I'll have to look out for some clear plastic sheeting though.

E-J What a good idea, maybe that will be my next investment. I live in Bracknell and work in Langley - I've been here for about 5 years, but I'm originally from Manchester. Where in Berkshire did you live?

soap I think that will have to be my next option in between looking for clear plastic sheeting and a digital camera!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

soap
02-25-2003, 08:16 AM
Clear plastic.......make sure you get some VERY clear stuff, you don't want your scans to be blurry.

S.

E-J
02-25-2003, 08:24 AM
Ahh, I used to go bowling in Bracknell :) Spent six years in Reading ~ as I'm always fond of pointing out, that's four years longer than Oscar Wilde had to endure, LOL. Didn't like the town much but, now I'm at several years remove and can start to get nostalgic about the place, I realise that I had a great many friends there and the possibilities for evening study [art, languages] were pretty damn good compared to Cambridge, where everything seems to be geared towards the university students. There isn't even a local branch of the SAA here ~ I remember attending the very first meeting of the Reading branch. I spent six years complaining about Reading's yobby pub culture and lack of nice cafés, and Cambridge is certainly better in that respect, but I realise now that my time there ~ the jobs I did and the people I met ~ was very rewarding.

FreckleFace
02-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Soap, I expect you're right about the CLEAR plastic. Its just that my husband has gone to so much trouble installing the scanner, I don't want to upset him by getting pastel dust all over it!

E-J, we do go to Reading now and then - mostly for the retail parks (Hobby Craft in particular!). But, its the worst town for driving ever! I've had more fun driving round central London! I haven't been to any SAA meetings in Reading - from what I remember they were held in the week. I go to one in Farnborough on Saturdays. It's a shame there isn't a branch in Cambridge.

Brooke
02-26-2003, 06:46 PM
Use an electrical or rechargable hand vacuum cleaner right after using the scanner. I also keep a vac on my board and actually vacuum up the loose dust right off the paper rather than blowing.