PDA

View Full Version : Air brush

Urbanpoet
03-14-2000, 02:04 AM
Hi all

I just bought an Air brush and playing with it.

Anyone in wetcanvas using Airbrush?

I read somewhere Airbrush is not considered as a fine art medium. How far it is true?
(Thatís why it is not listed in Wetcanvas????)

I would like to hear your comments.

Thanks

-Urbanpoet

scottb
03-14-2000, 06:55 AM
If there is enough interest, we can certainly add it... http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Anyone?

Cheers.
Scott

CarlyHardy
03-15-2000, 12:53 AM
Some info on air brush I thought might be of interest....
The airbrush was invented by Charles Burdick, and American watercolour painter, who patented it in England in 1893. He used the tradename Aerograph, (Man Ray called paintings he did with an air brush 'aerographs'). In the early 20th century, they were mainly used for photographic retouching...and principally for commercial art. Airbrush is also well known with superrealism, with pop art, and recently I noticed it incorporated into collage pieces!
Perhaps it will find a birth of its own yet, under the fine arts label!
carly

henrik
03-16-2000, 10:31 AM
I got an airbrush - though it could be a complementary tool when painting acrylics; nice gradients, special effects and stuff. Never got the hang of it...

I figured that a very high quality air supply is needed to use an airbrush for fine art - one stutter or splash and the whole thing is ruined.

CarlyHardy
03-16-2000, 09:45 PM
I would like to have one of the air brushes that you use by blowing thru it with your mouth...this would be great for effects in collage!

henrik
03-18-2000, 06:22 PM
My airbrush was propelled using a can (like a spray can), and it only produced an even spray in the beginning. Then I tried a car tyre, but did not like that either. I think that it would be very difficult to produce a smoth airflow by just blowing using mouth. Fine airbrushing requires a proper compressor - any change in airflow will show up in the artwork. The can and tyre was very dissapointing - although I was able to perform some of the exercises from the book I have, the fun only lasted a few minues, and with rather low quality of spray (uneven, stutter, blobs, etc...).

I have a book on airbrushing and it lists many types of air sources - almost all are unfitting for use with fine art. For a beginner it recommens what is called a "oil-less non pulsing compressor", and if you want to move up a little, a "small storage compressor" is better. The professionals use a "fully automatic compressor".

I should have read this book before buying the quite expensive airbrush - the people at the store told be cans and even a tyre would be fine for artwork. Ha - don't fall for it.

msue
03-19-2000, 12:07 AM
I know someone who has used an airbrush for watercolor for backgrounds and skys. My husband also uses one to paint the models he builds. The small air compressors aren't that expensive and give steady pressure. Two or three years ago The Artist Magazine had an article about using airbrush techniques in your fine art. You might check their archives for the article.

Urbanpoet
03-20-2000, 02:45 AM
The Air-Compressor is as important as the airbrush. I spent most of the time choosing the right one. After reading so many books and visiting so many websites, I choose the fully automatic compressor. It is expensive than the airbrush, but you need a steady airflow to airbrush smoothly. Most of them recommend 20+ PSI for fine art work. I am working on my first airbrush painting and will post it once it is completed.

Thanks for all the info and comments

[This message has been edited by Urbanpoet (edited March 20, 2000).]

Fritz
03-21-2000, 03:44 PM
Hmmmmmmm.I own an airbrush but never thought of using it in this way. I use mine during Haloween. We run a haunted house out here and use it for make-up and F/X. I'm going to look into this.

Mon

Rick
03-23-2000, 12:56 AM
I use an airbrush for painting scale models. A cheap sourch of good air is to have a tank filled. Something like a scuba tank. They can be filled at any scuba shop or most fire stations. With a regulator they give a consistant flow of air and will last for quite a long while.Also a little trick I learned when first starting and using the compressed cans of air is to put the can in a 5 gal. bucket of warm water. Just warm tap water dont boil the water first. It will keep the can from frosting up as fast and gives better spray results

tammy
04-03-2000, 12:31 AM
I have an airbrush and did a few t-shirts. I have the brush and compressor still, but I just never got into it much. Messier that canvas and brush.

------------------

Cherri
08-27-2003, 09:02 AM
I could not find much on airbrushing, but thought I would post here and see if anyone was still out there?

I recently got into using the airbrush that I got for Christmas about 6 years ago. I am so sorry I waited, what a fun thing. Frustrating at times, but so rewarding.

I too have struggled with the term fine art and aribrushing in the same sentence, however, it really can be.

I am way still in the learning stage and the keyword here it learning! However, I have been having a blast with it. I am painting animals now freehand and completing them in max of three days on the complicated ones. The others about 30 min. Instant gradification.:D

I am using Golden Fluid Acrylics, AB medium and a Paasche VL AB

It really does not take a lot of $ to get into this.

This will in no way change the fact that I still love painting with the brush, it is another tool.
Like any other tool it has to be learned and practiced.

I have completed a fine art piece that I had framed and given away as a gift. A few T-shirts and several tote bags. These things are for fun. I would like to do more fine art pieces, but still learning.

Would love to hear from others out there.

Cherri

Elankat
08-27-2003, 09:37 AM
Keith Russell is using an airbrush as his primary tool. He posts his work in Acrylic. He's been juried into national exhibitions with his work.

I've also seen Jocelynart post an airbrushed portrait in the Portraiture forum. There's someone (can't remember the member name) who airbrushes on things like computer cases and helmets. He posts in Mixed Media.

Those are the only one I know of.