PDA

View Full Version : The "Lod" Exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum , NY

juneto
02-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Would like to share with my fellow artists, a Fabulous Exhibit going on at the Met Museum now .
Daughter going to see it friday in person and I am:envy: :envy: :envy:ious
Needless to say !:(
Not only the scope of animals they saw then , but the art of it and the process by which they removed it for the world to see ,was ,is a humongous job .
I am so thankful to have been able to see it if only on the net .
I just had to share this .:D
June
PS -Please ,Take a minute to view the film to see how they dug it up and preserved it for posterity .
http://www.metmuseum.org/now-at-the-met/features/2010/09/23/the-roman-mosaic-from-lod,-israel.aspx

Mayberry
02-23-2011, 05:07 PM
That's a really, really nice floor! I wonder how hard it was to keep it clean, back when it was in use. "Meant to last a lifetime" - they really meant it!

CharM
02-23-2011, 05:33 PM
How magnificent, June! I would love to see such mosaics in real life and I can only imagine the richness and depth of colour...

BDorsa
02-23-2011, 08:18 PM
thanks for sharing...that's my fav museum, and practically the only thing I miss about living in NY.

laudesan
02-23-2011, 08:59 PM
June :heart: Thank you so much for the link! Wow what an amazing place. That is definitely on my Bucket List!

juneto
02-23-2011, 10:34 PM
In my next life, I will study Archeology and go all over on digs finding amazing things .
I will also have Very strong legs and a good back and not mind the humid heat of Rome ,Greece, Israel and Egypt ,in the least , NOT !
June :cat: :evil:

Yorky
02-24-2011, 03:43 AM
A fabulous wotk of art.

Thank you June.

Doug

Flattwo
02-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Hi June

Thanks for posting this, these are wonderful mosaics, here in the UK we are fortunate to have been left many mosaic floors of villas from the Roman occupation of Britain.

I have been toying with the idea of designing a mosaic for a bathroom wall, I must put my thoughts into practice!

Henry

FLNH
02-24-2011, 07:15 AM
Thank you so much for the extremely interesting and visually lovely link.

painterbear
02-24-2011, 08:26 AM
In my next life, I will study Archeology and go all over on digs finding amazing things .
I will also have Very strong legs and a good back and not mind the humid heat of Rome ,Greece, Israel and Egypt ,in the least , NOT !
June :cat: :evil:

I want to be there alongside you, June. You and I have the same interests in antiquity it seems. :D

Thanks for the link to this exhibit. I would love to see it in person.

Have you ever read about or seen the mosaics in (http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ofw&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=ravenna+italy+mosaics&revid=995146848&bav=on.1,or.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_FtmTZzvMMvpgAfjlsXoDQ&ved=0CIoBELAE&biw=862&bih=497)the town of Ravenna, Italy? They are from Byzantine times and absolutely exquisite. I know you would love walking from place to place looking at the gorgeous art.

Sylvia

doubleL
02-24-2011, 10:06 AM
thx for the link June

Rhodylady
02-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Wonderful video. I had no idea of the scale of the mosaics until I watched the video.
Thank you.

juneto
02-24-2011, 01:12 PM
You are welcome all .
Yes, Sylvia we have the same interests it seems .
I have been to Ravenna but did Not see them , another missed opportunity .
But I did see one in Sicily ,a Roman palace that was also staggering in scope .They had the Bikinied woman there .
We had to walk on a ramp above them. e also saw the ones in Kos , Greece.
Yes ,we would walk all day and then at night ,in a lot of places with our kids . WE wanted to see everything possible in 2 weeks . Those were the days of immense energy and endurance .:(
Henry , again , to see the important things in Britain we missed out on so much. You have to visit many times to see everything important .
My neighbor did that. He did small Mosaics in the bathroom wall. It turned out Beautiful . He also embedded a small sculpture into the wall
I took a Course in Mosaic in college, but the only thing I ever did interesting was to put a mosaic back over the kitchen sink for my Mother .I think she liked it .:cat:
June

painterbear
02-24-2011, 01:27 PM
June,
We were scheduled to take a trip to Sicily just before we finished our last tour in Italy. Unfortunately, things heated up in the Middle East and Americans were "advised" not to travel to Sicily at that time, so our visit to see the Piazza Amerini (http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/armerina/armerina.html) mosaics there (I think that is where the bikini girl is) didn't happen. :( One of those lost opportunities that isn't going to be repeated, I'm afraid.

Sylvia

juneto
02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Sylvia , That is it ! Piazza Armerina!
It was fantastic . now I see that Atrium was Not excavated when we were there. Wow, I would love to go to see it again . One of the best trips we ever took . We toured around the whole island on the bus , so we were able to see the countryside too. (The food was great too ):wink2:
Most exciting and great Magna Graecia artifacts there .Better than in Greece , as they are still standing
Loved it and sorry we missed so much there.
Sorry you got cut short , a memorable place.:(
June
PS -I think LOD is more extensive and very different. Still ,exciting to see them pick it all up after 1700 years and send it across the ocean and back !
It doesn't take much to get me excited about artful things .:lol: :lol:
Happily we have instilled this excitement in our children for things of beauty and age.

Brian Barnes
02-24-2011, 07:54 PM

I'll watch for you. Code word: "juneto". :D

BrianB

gmarie
02-24-2011, 08:25 PM
:heart: :clap: :heart: Oh! Oh! Oh! Magnificent! Just Awesome!!! :heart: :clap: :heart:

juneto
02-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Brian , almost ,how about , "Indiana June"????
June:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

Brian Barnes
02-25-2011, 12:19 AM
OK June............. Indiana June ... Indiana June ... Indiana June ....!
I'll try to remember that! And you'll be in dirty khaki shorts, shirt and a tattered wide-brim hat??? ;)

BrianB

juneto
02-25-2011, 01:35 AM
No, Brian I will be wearing Seven Veils !
Of course , silly how else can you excavate without a good brimmed hat and Long pants so the Scorpions and Asps don't have you for Lunch. No shorts! :lol: :lol:
Golden statues are in, but Arc are out ,on my digs though .
June:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS -Now you will really have me dreaming of chases through nasty places tonight . :cat:

rue d'oak
02-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Wonderful to see!!!

Jen

Faafil
02-26-2011, 01:21 PM
fascinating - thank you for sharing the links June! :thumbsup: