PDA

View Full Version : silly question - pro or amateur?

soap
02-24-2003, 06:19 AM
Silly question maybe, but let me try you all......

Am thinking of entering a competition, the Artist of the Year of the SAA (UK).
One must determine their own 'status' there - professional, amateur, beginner etc.

Am not sure what I am. When is one a professional - how many paintings should I have sold to be a pro? Do you need to live off your art to be a pro? Or is it more a matter of 'do I feel an amateur or a pro'?

Maybe it doesn't matter much - am not sure

What do you all think?

Thanks,
Sophie

Redsy333
02-24-2003, 10:49 AM
I think it has alot to do with how you feel! As far as how to determine that , well you listed so many factors yourself to realize it varies from one to another.
When entering a competition, I think it would place you against a certain quality of artist. For example, if you feel your work is pro, then you would compete against other artist that have had many yrs of experience, so it would alter your chances of placement.
If you have never entered one before and are fairly new to the competition scene...I personally would enter amateur.
Even though I have sold quite a few, I still feel that I am farrrrrrr from the title "Professional"! I have limited competition experience, so I would go Amateur! Does that make sense??? LOL
Hope that helps some!:D

soap
02-24-2003, 10:54 AM
It sure helps Redsy! And I agree with what you say.
It is a matter of 'how you feel' I suppose, and also, as you suggest, a matter of how many competition's I've done before (not many:D ) If quality defines my status.....that's up to the judges to decide then!
Thanks!

Luzie
02-24-2003, 12:04 PM
I recently read the entry rules on a form for professional and student submissions:

Pro:
Have the education (Degree) and/or
You are teaching and/or
are selling/have sold your work (does not matter how much/many)

Students: all the others

Redsy333
02-24-2003, 12:05 PM
Oh glad to help:D
Just remember when entering a competition...that the people that judge you, are only human!!:D So never base your ability solely on their opinions!!:D Its only a competition, good or bad it should never change your love for learning and working in art!!!

I know you will do fine ;) and you must keep us updated!!!! :D

andyvry
02-24-2003, 05:52 PM
I think you'll find that, in Britain, "professional" status means that your main source of income, in this case, is your art.....but don't quote me :D

Best to clarify it with the organisers if you are in doubt.

andy

FreckleFace
02-25-2003, 03:51 AM
Soap, have you tried emailing the SAA? I emailed them yesterday with another query and got a "to-the-pont" reply quite quickly. The email address is [email protected]

Personally, I think you should state yourself as professional, because that would be less competition for me being an amateur!! ;)

soap
02-25-2003, 03:55 AM
Thanks everybody.
Freckleface - ah, you're going to be my competition! - Ha Ha:evil: let's go to battle!!
(btw, I win the webpage battle :p, caus' yours doesn't seem to be there - check your link at the bottom of your messages) (oh, and maybe we can even go into a freckle competition......I've got loads - how about you?:D

Sorry, early morning here, am a bit in a silly mood.....

Thanks again,
S.

FreckleFace
02-25-2003, 04:12 AM
I've changed my webpage link, so you should be able to see it now - although it is a bit out of date. I need to have a good old tidy up in there! I've looked at yours - and wow! you really are some competition! Good luck.

My freckles aren't what they used to be - but ask me again when the sun comes out! :)

zilloot
02-25-2003, 10:02 AM
my freckles are fading too :crying:

I was going to enter the SAA thing too, became frightened of the amateur/prof thing and decided to stay down my burrow being a scared thing until next year.

Good luck to all of you who enter - let us know how you got on!