PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastels 24 Feb - 2 March

Dark_Shades
02-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Ok ... I started this a little early just in case wasn't around too much tomorrow :)

This is in continuence on behalf of Sunny - the brilliant thread that she started last week ........ so much excellent work, help and advise ... truly outstanding I think, thoroughly enjoyed it all.

For any new comers.... this thread is for posting your works, doesn't matter how new or advanced you are..... just about joining in and having fun .... exploring and challenging.... there are time elements... 30 mins / 45 mins / 1 hour ... its about getting pastels down on paper ...... you can always go back in on them and work on them later

Ha! I must be the longest serving Newbie ever :D

Jamie/Jackie... hope you dont mind ..... copied from your thread

...... suggestions of subjects to paint

Originally posted by JamieWG
In so many forums lately, people are feeling uninspired, and having difficulty thinking up subjects for paintings. Perhaps it is a statement of our moment in history that we're all feeling this way. It seems to be a topic in threads everywhere. Jackie Simmonds sent me a private message with a wonderful list of things to paint, and gave me permission to share the list. I feel rejuvenated just reading it! I hope others will add their posts of "What to Paint" to this list so that we will have them together for those times when we need it most. I'm all out of ideas myself! So, with Jackie's permission, here are hers, quoted from the message to me:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some ideas:
(I am a great believer in keeping things simple, and I like to put similar objects together, rather than all sorts of different things.)

Vegetables. Take some red and green peppers, and CUT ONE IN HALF They have marvellous "insides" which are great to study and paint. Make a little arrangement with two whole ones, and one half. Look down on the set up, then you don't have to worry about boxes and backgrounds - and do remember to light it well.

Same applies to lemons. They are superb cut open. Try two or three whole lemons, plus some sections, cut different ways.

In fact, all fruits look good when you start to cut them up a bit - peel SOME of the peel back from an orange, or a banana, for instance. You have to work fast with some fruits, cos they go brown or black! that is an incentive!

Melon slices, particularly red melons, are great to draw and paint.

3 pears. Hard to beat for fun. Pears each have a different character, their shapes all vary slightly, as well as the colouring.

Mushrooms, in different sizes, and with different shapes, look terrific together. Perhaps put some garlic or onion in there too.

A set of different types, sizes, and shape of jug are fun - jugs are more fun than bottles, cos they have handles and spouts, to add to the challenge.

White things. A collection of things white - a cup, a jug, a plate, maybe even a BROKEN plate, a napkin - all lit from one side. Put them on some white fabric with creases in it, and look down on your subject.

Do the above again, but this time add just one colour note ... maybe a red apple, or a coloured feather, or something simple and interesting ... maybe a marble or two.

Shells. Various different ones.

Just fabric. Hanging down the back of a chair, for instance. A towel, or a pillowcase, or a scarf.

A scrunched-up brown paper bag, with some veg or fruit spilling out of it. Or even just a tall, slightly creased bag or two, standing on their own - the kind you guys get in your supermarkets.

A variety of small cakes and biscuits.

2 or three different hats, and perhaps a draped scarf.

Go to the baker, and get a croissant, and a seeded roll or two, and an interesting shaped loaf. Put them together.

A stack of broken eggshells, brown and white, plus some whole eggs if you like. Maybe even an egg puddle from a broken egg!

Something themed - a lovely chinese bowl, and some chopsticks and maybe some prawn crackers!

Well, that lot should keep you going for a while!

Jackie

...... already some great advise and information to start with...... so what you waiting for ........ get pastelling :D

JamieWG
02-23-2003, 04:42 PM
Great job, Dawn! :D Sunny says it will make her feel better to see a lot of work here this week! Thanks for adding Jackie's ideas to the thread. I was going to add that list in the Oils Sketches thread this week too. So many good ideas there!

Jamie

Dark_Shades
02-23-2003, 04:42 PM
.. if anyone wants to go back through last weeks thread ..... lots of information ..... ideas.... feed back.... and some brilliant pastels too boot :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89372

JamieWG
02-23-2003, 07:46 PM
Since this thread's already started, I figured I may as well use it.

I broke off pieces of my pastels. The first one really hurt! But after that it felt so good to have those little pieces to work with. Taking Jackie's advice, I brushed off the "spinning pot", sprayed with fix this afternoon, and went at it again tonight, working in a carving motion as Jackie suggested, and deepening the shadows as Sunny and Dawn suggested. I can see that I didn't get a smooth enough transition on the right side of the pot---cause I went back in at the end and added more darks. Jackie, it worked so much better this way! And faster too, without all my little spinning strokes. I think the Mi Tientes paper has a hard time being reworked so much, but your advice was great. I'm looking forward to doing another before the family finishes off the clementines that are already set up in the huge, wide, blue mug. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2003/13766-sketch_022103_pot_and_bottles_dishtowel_reworked.jpg

Mo.
02-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Well done DAWN!!!:clap: :clap: You are going to be great at this!

Jamie your pot looks so much better, looking forward to seeing your clementines. :)

Mo.

Dark_Shades
02-23-2003, 08:14 PM
hey Jamie.... thats great..... liked it before... love the pot now ;) ... and those shadows.. look wonderful against the coloured pot .. good one ... lol am pleased you started early :)

....I had just been tinkering with my picture of the egg and soldiers lol .... have been working on the material a bit more .... will start something new tomorrow ...... need some really good reds and greens though :(

... see you tomorrow.... nite nite

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2003/12116-Sunshinebreakfast.jpg

Dark_Shades
02-23-2003, 08:21 PM
honestly..... I really AM going to bed lol ..... just wondered anyone got any thoughts on my window?

Mo.
02-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Looking really good Dawn, is the window to the left?
Would it be that blue? Maybe some diagonal strokes of a much lighter colour would help, l like how you've added the reflection to the table, and your table has a lovely polished finish to it. The glass of orange is super too.

I think also some more compelentaries colours in the curtains would add a bit of sparkle to all the browns and neutrals there, just try it in the shadows of the folds of the curtains, try it in photoshop first, see what you think..

Great stuff.

Mo.

JamieWG
02-23-2003, 08:44 PM
Dawn, I think your colors are glowing beautifully. Love the reflections on the table. I didn't realize it was a window to the left---thought it was the wall, but now I can see the light is coming from there. What's outside the window? I agree with Mo that something needs to tell us it's a window---reflections, trees outside....something.

Jamie

E-J
02-24-2003, 04:31 AM
Jamie, WOW, the pot looks so much more rounded and three-dimensional! Well done you. I will have to go back and study the mini-lesson that Jackie posted. It's the start of the workday here so it'll be about another 11 hours before I can get my fingers dusty... :mad: Will log on at lunchtime tho to check who else has posted :) Dawn ... I wish I could make some constructive comment about your window, but never having attempted glass myself I would be talking out of my backside, so I'll just say that I love this little picture and leave someone else to tell you what to do :D

doe
02-24-2003, 08:30 AM
Jamie your pot looks great!

Dawn your painting looks great too, Mo's simple solution sounds like the right way to go.

I'll try to do a small study of something tonight, yes it does feel good to at least be doing something small rather than nothing. I don't even care if these things survive the next move, the doing is what counts.

crumbedbrains
02-24-2003, 09:56 AM
OK . .got a prod to try this . . . and . . .er . . .well . . . nope . . it doesn't work for me!! LOL I can't bring myself to do it!!! After about 5 mins I was just scribbling!!! LOL . .*sigh* oh well back to the world of 30 DAYS per pic! he he.

Now to show you I did try . . . It was raining the other night . .so I thought I'd go out and purposely take some pics that would be blurry which would then require me to loosen up . ."no chance of hyper detail with this one" I thought . . .WRONG!!

So I give up!!
If anyone would like to use this pic I took . .you're welcome to it!!! ROFLMAO . . .AARRRGGGHH!!! I'm trapped!!!
Cheers
Crumby

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2003/10882-DCP_0818_Crop_WC.jpg

jackiesimmonds
02-24-2003, 10:30 AM
Crumby, I think you are asking rather a lot of yourself. To reinvent yourself as a "loose and sketchy" painter, when actually, you spend days and days on an image, working slowly and carefully, with enormous intensity, is like asking Mozart to sit down in five minutes and produce a little rap ditty!

However - if you really want to have a go - why not try the pastel painter's equivalent of working with huge brushes. Work ONLY with the sides of your pastels, and just do ONE THING. Let's say just one pear (or apple, or plum). Get out the colours you think you might use...and do it to the best of your ability with a timer in front of you - allow yourself no more than, say, two minutes. At the end of two minutes, stop, no matter what stage it is at. Then do another one - DO NOT work on the same one. After you have done this a few times, you may have found that actually, you HAVE discovered a way to say "pear", with the minumum of strokes of the pastel. Working to a deadline like this gets the adrenalin going; you HAVE to make very quick decisions, and so what if you put down strokes which don't work - who's gonna know, except you?

If it feels really horrible, you don't need to do it again. That would be like repeatedly bashing your head against a brick wall. Not entirely intelligent.

Jackie

Mo.
02-24-2003, 03:11 PM
Here's two I did this afternoon.

The onions quite quick, 20 mins. Got bored with them. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2003/5154-onion01.jpg

The flowers a little longer, I spent about 10 mins on the charcoal sketch and then 40 mins on the pastel, could have spent longer, but had to stop to take the dog walkies.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2003/5154-tulipscharc.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2003/5154-mytulip.jpg

I have a friend from the CP forum who sent me some Stonehenge paper, so tried it out with the flowers, it's great stuff, takes pastels very well, and what's more I found the pastels layered and blended together easily when applying one colour over another, no other blending was used, only with the sticks, I used Rembrandts and Ashby's soft for both sketches.

Cheers,
Mo.

melaleuca
02-24-2003, 06:23 PM
Just stopped by to say "hi".

Jamie - that pot looks good now. Must try those different strokes next time. I haven't seen those ideas in the oil sketches. Must remember to check that out.

Dawn - maybe I will try an egg- soon :)

Mo- I really like your charcaol sketch. I like the vase in the pastel version too. Have never heard of Ashby's pastels.

Look forward to seeing some more sketches here. Hope to be back in a couple of days to join y'all.

Cheers :)

E-J
02-25-2003, 05:25 AM
Mo, I especially like the way you've suggested the glass ~ wish I could create something this simple and effective. I also like your onions and can't help wishing you'd finish the sketch by adding some colour to the surface they're sitting on. Very nice!

doe
02-25-2003, 09:35 AM
Aw, too bad Crumby, great photo too! Try again!

Mo, you've been buzy! Maybe you could add garlic to the onions so you're not so bored with it, the onions look good! The two florals are good sketches too especially the second colorized with the crystal vase! Although the charcoal one has a nice loose freedom about it that I like.

Ok, keeping my word, I did this 5 x 7 pastel of my favorite little raku bottle (from my first raku firing). It's a pinch pot, made entirely by hand, and always seemed to have its own spirit. My goal was to capture that - so I did take a pic of it with my substandard digital camera, that didn't come out too bad actually, so that you'd be able to better judge if I captured a good likeness!

It took about an hour, is on grey canson paper and done with mostly my very wonderful sample Terry Ludwig pastels! So this one is dedicated to Terry Ludwig!

The actual Raku Bottle, 3"H x 2 3/4"W with cobalt splashed on and a clear glaze:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2003/12181-Bottle1.jpg
The portrait:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2003/12181-Bottle.jpg

I added the brick to give it a stage and 'cuz I like those colors!:D

bnoonan
02-25-2003, 11:12 AM
Hi there,
I'm afraid I won't have time to post this week but I'm with all of you in my thoughts.

Keep up the great work. What I'm seeing is amazing to me and I'm so jealous I'm too busy to participate.

Have fun and make the most of it.

Barb

gredelin
02-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Dawn - beautiful breakfast piece; I agree with Mo about the window.
Mo - great flowers, I especially love the charcoal sketch
Crumby - please, give it another go! Dig into the fridge and get those onions out, I'd so love to see what you'd do in 30 min.
doe - gorgeous!
Jamie - excellent! The pot looks real enough to touch now.

Thought I'd do half an hour on my tulips, even set my timer, but after precisely six minutes the nap was over... I doubt I'll have time to do more before they wilt so I'll just post what I got. Nupastels on black Canson.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2003/13872-gthflowers5.jpg
/Gunilla

Dark_Shades
02-25-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by crumbedbrains
[B]OK . .got a prod to try this . . . and . . .er . . .well . . . nope . . it doesn't work for me!! LOL I can't bring myself to do it!!! After about 5 mins I was just scribbling!!! LOL . .*sigh* oh well back to the world of 30 DAYS per pic! he he.

So I give up!!

hmmm, you gave up after 5mins ... tsk! .... tsk!! ... shame on you Crumby lol ...... everyones looks like scribble after 5 mins... 10 mins lol........ what would it of looked like after 30 ..... 45? ..... 60mins..... 'go on...... I dare ya :evil: ... give it another bash .... and go the full time' ....... gives you a prod :angel:

Dark_Shades
02-25-2003, 02:46 PM
Mo, ya onions started looking good.... and liked the colours in the flowers.... its such a shame you dont enjoy it more :crying:

Doe.... love your ceramics you do.... like the quality of them... great!

Gredelin .... doesnt the red look wonderful against the black.... glass is starting to look nice too ..... will like to see this again when you can work on it more

. ....thanks for comments on the window ..... I had originally got the diags on the first posting.... didnt seem to work so well once I started working on it more.... perhaps will try out something in PSP for something outside the window - cheers me dears :)

JamieWG
02-25-2003, 04:50 PM
Crumby, we're not lettin' you off so easy. Seems to me you should have to try for at least an hour, just like the rest of us. I dare you! :evil:

Doe, I love the little raku bottle you made! Can easily see why you wanted to paint that!

Mo, lovely onions. I like the way you suggested the cut crystal.

Gunilla, I'm looking forward to trying something on dark or black paper. This is a good inspiration for me.

Keep it up, everybody. You're all doing super!

Jamie

E-J
02-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Here are my latest attempts, on Ingres paper:

Monday ~ Oil pastel, 30 mins:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2003/13865-fruits1.jpg

Tuesday ~ Soft pastel, 45 mins:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2003/13865-fruits2.jpg

I struggled today, not sure why. Partly, perhaps, because of the freakish shape and deep purplish-red colour of the apple furthest away. I really need a few more soft pastels in darker tints: a dark bluey purple, a dark reddish purple and a dark green would be nice. As it was, I tried to blend to get the colours I wanted, filled the tooth too quickly and started fighting the medium.

Still having fun, though, and still sketching every day! :)

Mo.
02-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Crumby; Know how you feel :)

Doe; Love your pot the ceramic and the painted version. Great stuff.

Barb, will miss you, though I'm pretty tied up this week and next too, so won't be doing much here either. :)

Gunilla; Your tulips look great on the black. :-

E-J Your apples look great, like the loose style you have developed there.

Great work everyone,

cheers all.

Mo.

sundiver
02-25-2003, 11:06 PM
Nice work everyone! E-J I like that purple apple! And the tulips and onions and pots and eggs, all wonderful; what a great thing sunny started.
Well here's mine, on black paper, almost an hour. That Russet apple doesn't look so great (It'll taste better in my lunch tomorrow). It's supposed to be , well, russet-colored- greenish goldish brown.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2003/6393-russetgrannymac.jpg

Redsy333
02-26-2003, 12:02 AM
WOW!!!!!! You all are realllllly Whipping out some wonderful work:D I love the colors and varied techniques you all have, beautiful job all of you!!

I can honestly say I am right in line with Barb on the busyyyyyy issues..in case anyone overseas might not know...its TAX TIME state side, so Im up to my ears in paperwork!!! BLUCK!!
Meanwhile dabbling in other mediums to keep my brain from frying:D:D:D er....or is it ...hehe oh well!!
On another note> I generally spend about an hour and half on most of my pics. I cant seem to walk away till its done!! LOL

SIR CRUMBY......lol you WILDMAN...daring to work a pic in such short time frames??? You daredevil ...LMAO ;)

If you want to loosen up a bit, try working a pic with your opposite choice of hands. For example, if youre right handed....work a pic in lefty style!!
Now I know this made all you shiver...but it really does work, and you learn ALOT!!!

Kudos to the generator of this glorious idea!!! Keep up the great work !!!!!!
:clap:

E-J
02-26-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by sundiver
That Russet apple doesn't look so great (It'll taste better in my lunch tomorrow). It's supposed to be , well, russet-colored- greenish goldish brown.

Wendy, that apple on the left has exactly the combination of colours I was trying to get for the front apple in my own sketch!

If last week was egg week, this week we seem to be going apple crazy. An informal weekly theme appears to be emerging :)

doe
02-26-2003, 08:38 AM
There have been some great additions since yesterday!

Gredelin: I love those tulips just the way they are! It's very spontaneous and relaxed!

E-J: Both versions of your apples look good, yes we always need more colors.

Sundiver: Very nice apples and nice texture to the whole piece!

Can't wait to see what today brings!

chookbrown
02-26-2003, 09:08 AM
Great job for all being so quick.. I too want to get so much detail quickly... Hmmm.. gonna have to try this one to learn some faster techniques.

Great idea!!

Chooky :D:D:D

ginatec
02-26-2003, 10:57 AM
I was in here yesterday peeping at all the pastels. I just got sucked in by the wonderful work on this thread and the magic of the medium. First thing this morning I went to the art shop and now have a box of thiry Rembrant artists quality pastels and a large spray. All I have got to do now is learn to use them:D
This is my very first attempt at pastel.

Time 45 minutes
Canson Mi Tientes paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2003/14534-bluevase.JPG

E-J
02-26-2003, 11:03 AM
Gina!!! This is your first attempt?? The shine on that vase is fantastic! And what an inspired choice of bright, contrasting colours. Welcome to the thread!

ginatec
02-26-2003, 11:16 AM
Thanks E-J

chookbrown
02-26-2003, 01:19 PM
Wow Gina!! great job on your first.. just imagine how wonderful they are gonna be once you get used to them.. fantastic!!

Chooky :D:D:D

Dark_Shades
02-26-2003, 01:34 PM
Can I/We .. start banning people from this thread who get too good :evil: :angel: lolol

brilliant job Gina on your very first pastel !!!..... VERY impressive .... grrrrrr :D hee hee .. great vase..... so you hooked?

.... lovely apples in here this week..... wonderful colours

... hows everyone enjoying it? ........ need to get at least one new one done for the week.... wahhhhh where does all the time go :(

ginatec
02-26-2003, 01:53 PM
Thanks Chooky and Dark-Shades...yes I am hooked! I have just completed my second it's on a seperate thread.

Redsy333
02-26-2003, 01:55 PM
Hmmmm where does the time go....(* listening to the keys click*)
thats such a good question...where does ....( curser rolling over forums ) ......go...???? Gee....... (viewing postings)....er...um...maybe......ummmm surfing ...

WET CANVAS????????????? LOL> :D:D:D:D hehe

sunny
02-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Checking in....knew I would find some great sketches!!!...
GOOD WORK everyone....EJ...you really are doing a lot!! good for you...never used the oil pastels...how do they compare? Doe you are such a sweetie...your pottery is beautiful..bet you can't wait to get settled in your new house...

gredelin...pretty tulips...Mo you ventured in the small size again...and it looks good..Sundiver as always your work is so bright and fresh..Gina...you are going to get hooked!! You do so well in oils...I'm sure you will master pastels in no time...

Dawn...your still life came out well..did you finish up?...or leave the window as is...?

With the help of my stepchildren we moved the easel and the computer downstairs....next to Dennis..he got upset with me that I wasn't painting...he is sleeping a lot..but when he wakes up he wants to see progress...no room for the pastel though...working in oils...I show him all of your sketches...it makes him smile...:) We are indeed blessed...

Redsy...you are funny:D

Chook, Crumby...give it go...its fun...but yea a little difficult to stop and not fiddle.

soap
02-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Just to let you' all know I am enjoying this thread. Got no digital camera and am too lazy to scan quick sketches - but this is fun to read too. I actually sketch in graphite and then take on the big pastel papers - work on it for hours and hours....

Anyway.....that blue vaze is amazing! Well done Gina - love to see more of your work.

Interesting thing with the window in Dark Shades' piccy. How do you do a window? difficult one. Although it is pretty obvious where the light comes from, so that might be enough.
Doe - that pot is fabulous! The clay one as well as the pastel one.

All the others: great to read, joy to look (Crumb - do I have a better excuse - no camera??:D LOL)

Great thread!

Soap

Mo.
02-26-2003, 03:15 PM
Sunny so good to hear from you and to know you are still busy painting. Thinking of you both. :)

Gina your pot is great, I just knew you'd take to pastels easily!.
Keep it going.

cheers,
Mo.

CarlyHardy
02-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Sunday I did this quick one of the three pears. It's 5x7 on Canson and I had a double white mat already for it to go into (if it turned out decent!)
About 30 minutes...but I had to run into the living room a couple of times to see what my husband was saying since he was home!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2003/250-pears3.jpg

and,
here's one from today. 25 minutes. It began as an abstract but suddenly I realized it was a southwest scene so I pushed it toward an abstract landscape from my mind! LOL 7 x 9 inches on sanded paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2003/250-plateau.jpg

This is a lot of fun...I'm hoping it will help me to break some of my bad habits, too!
carly

angecald
02-27-2003, 03:09 AM
Just to let you know, I did my pottery cream pitcher twice more since my last post on last week's thread.

The second attempt was better than the first, so -- puffed with pride -- I started a third with a slice of bread on a saucer included in the composition, and the whole thing raked with bright sunlight from the window. (It was a brilliant day here, although cold.) Well, the jug is okay but the bread is a disaster. Seems I can really only do one item at a time, and preferably without fancy lighting.

By the way, Mo, nice of you to show me up by putting your wonderful flowers in a CUT-GLASS VASE! :evil: You just don't take to this kind of thing at all, do you? Let's not even talk about that Gina and her "first" pastel painting.LOLOLOL. I agree with Dark Shades, maybe there needs to be a minimum standard of incompetency here. You folks are all too good.

In honour of Egg Week, I also did an egg. Not very good, but the composition has possibilities, so I might try it again. Now I understand we are in Apple Week, so that's what I'll do tomorrow.

It's been a good week for learning, and that's the best kind. Thanks, everybody. I'm posting pictures tomorrow, honest!

E-J
02-27-2003, 04:54 AM
Sunny ~ please wave hello to Dennis ~ it's lovely that he is enjoying the sketches ~ I'll make an extra special effort tonight to produce something!

The good brands of oil pastel [mine are Caran d'Ache] are really creamy and blendable, so you don't need a huge number of colours. I've felt frustrated with my relatively limited number of soft pastels the last couple of days but doing a couple of o.k. oil pastel sketches has kept me motivated. Did a red pepper yesterday... hmm... not sure it's good enough to post...

In Jackie's Pastel Workout video she shows you how to approach a simple still life with peppers etc so I will review that before tackling the yellow pepper that is my subject for today :)

JamieWG
02-27-2003, 09:08 AM
Hi Carly! Welcome to the sketches....so glad you've joined us. I love your brightly colored pears and out-of-this-world landscape!

Jamie

doe
02-27-2003, 09:28 AM
Just stopped in to see what's happening!

Hi Sunny and Dennis! Great to see you here and am glad that you were able to move things around so that you could continue to be involved. We won't be settled in a new house for awhile, first we have to unsettle this house, then find or build a new one. We're looking in VA - in the Blue Ridge Mtns. Once I've finished with a few more repairs this place will sell in no time, it's a very popular area.

Gina - fantastic first pastel (she's definitely hooked).

Carly - great colors in the pears and the abstracted landscape is very loose, nice job (as always).

Hope to get another small thing done this week, not an apple though. Here's an apple I did some time ago though. At the time I was painting with a group of people in a sort of co-op studio, I had a little time left in the day and had this fruit sitting on the table, left over from lunch - so it qualifies as a quick sketch, probably took 45 mins. but its a little larger size 9 x 12. Hope you don't mind me putting it here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2003/12181-Bananas.jpg

MarshaSavage
02-27-2003, 09:40 AM
Hey guys,

wanted to join the fun. Hope you don't mind -- but the painting I have was done last week. We were in Florida, and I was teaching a pastel workshop - just returned Sat. late, then everything until yesterday was getting all the tax stuff done to meet with the accountant. Today I get to paint again, but was checking in on WC as I do every morning when possible.

I will paint something today to conform to your time limit. But in the meantime here is a pastel painted on Wallis sanded paper done in about 45 minutes. Also the photo it was done from. Size is about 13" x 16". It was painted upside-down in an attempt to show how to loosen up and to get that right side of the brain functioning.

The photo first:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2003/2540-savannahpic.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2003/2540-savannahscene.jpg

And here it is right side up -- and I have not touched it since turning it over. I think it was a good enough start to continue to pull a little believeability out of it and see if I can produce a finished painting from it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2003/2540-savannahsceneup.jpg

Have a go at what you think I need to do -- but keep in mind I haven't started working on it since the class and turning it over.

llis
02-27-2003, 09:51 AM
Marsha:

I remember well what a revelation it was for me to do this exercise in your workshop class. Folks, if you haven't already tried the upside down photograph exercise, you should. You will love it.

I have my exercise hanging up on the studio wall just to remind me to trick my mind and look at shapes when painting. :)

ginatec
02-27-2003, 01:02 PM
You must have to be very clever painting upside down Marsha.

Carly love the pears and the jewel like colours you have used.

Doe the apple and bananas are really great, you have captured every detail.

This is my next effort.
Canson Mi Teintes paper sixe 11" x 8"
Time taken 31 minutes.

Orange, Lemon and Garlic

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2003/14534-ogl.JPG

Dark_Shades
02-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Redsy333
Hmmmm where does the time go....(* listening to the keys click*)
thats such a good question...where does ....( curser rolling over forums ) ......go...???? Gee....... (viewing postings)....er...um...maybe......ummmm surfing ...

WET CANVAS????????????? LOL> :D:D:D:D hehe

Ha ha ... erm yeah right lol

MarshaSavage
02-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Okay,
I said I was painting today in oil. Here it is, palette knife, 7"x5" on a canvas board/smooth surface. I don't particularly like the feel of these boards, but have a couple more and intend to use them. I have since ordered Raymar boards that are canvas covered and do like those.

Took me about 25 minutes. Critique away!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2003/2540-whitepine.jpg

After looking at the image on the screen (even though I lightened so you could see the color under the tree on the ground), it is still darker than the original. Sorry!

JamieWG
02-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Marsha! So nice to see you oil painting! Did you know we have a Sketches thread going in the Oils Forum? Please go ahead and post it there! Here's a link for you:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90796

Nice variety in your greens! Record time too. It is indeed hard to show photos of the deep greens without them going black.

Jamie

MarshaSavage
02-27-2003, 03:38 PM
So Sorry!

I got so caught up in this particular thread, I forgot it wasn't oil, but pastel. I originally planned to put something up that was pastel, just a switch of the mind to do it in oil.

I'll post it in the oil one -- will try to keep the mind working, hard to do.

E-J
02-27-2003, 03:51 PM
OK, here's tonight's sketch. Sunny, please tell Dennis that this one is especially for him :)

I watched Jackie's video then set up my peppers in the same way. This one took me an hour.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2003/13865-peppers.jpg

Next thing to focus on will be sketching more loosely and in a shorter time limit. I can't wait to do the three pears!

EDIT: Can anyone tell me how to get the URL in my signature to work??

E-J
02-27-2003, 04:06 PM
Marsha... though it's not a pastel, it's lovely... fast and loose and with shadows that give it real depth. I wish I could do that kind of thing with oil paint, but I've tried the medium a couple of times and it only ever wants to fight with me :mad:

Gina, I like your orange very much! And you've managed to give your garlic that transparency it has in real life. You've been busy today! :)

Dawn... I see the subject for your sketch today is a jar of invisible ink... :D *runs for cover*

sunny
02-27-2003, 04:57 PM
DUCK EJ...Dawn just missed you with that invisible ink:evil:
Your peppers are rendered beautifully!! They even have a transulcent quality about them....which is what I love about painting peppers...nice sketch! dennis gave you a BIG smile...

Doe..the softness of your banana and apple painting is just soo lovely...

Gina..you look like you are having so much fun...and your sketches show it...happy for you...getting out of that slump week with a boom...
:D

Marsha..I definitly will try that upside down exercise....like both pieces...especially like your palette knife sketch...no critique here...just wonderful. Think we should start a thread for that upside down exercise...

Agnes..nothing like wetting our appetites!!!can't wait to see your posts..

Carly..I like the values in your abstract landscape from your mind sketch;) and the bright colors of your pears...love that blue and the cloth..like an explosion of color...

This is fun..:)

E-J
02-27-2003, 05:51 PM
I just managed a 40-minute:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2003/13865-eggs2.jpg

Would have liked to a) make the folds in the cloth sharper and more convincing, and b) work on the darker egg tones. Oh well.

Oh, and I forgot to comment on Doe's fruits ~ soft and subtle ~ and the details are very delicately picked out. Very nice, Doe!

E-J
02-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Sorry for monopolising the page... I wasn't sure about posting yesterday's oil pastel, but I've decided I might as well, so here it is. One hour.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2003/13865-pepper.jpg

ginatec
02-27-2003, 06:37 PM
Great work E-J:D
Is there much difference between oil pastel and pastel ?

E-J
02-27-2003, 07:06 PM
Thanks Gina. Oil pastels feel quite different from soft pastels. They have a creamy texture, and you can blend them together by putting colours down one on another or using a torchon ~ but only if they're a good make. Loads of people seem to have tried the cheapo ones out of curiosity and found them yukky. Mine are by Caran d'Ache and I love them. You don't need quite the number of colours that you do with with soft pastels since more blending is possible. There's special oil pastel paper available but I think Ingres paper is nicer to use. A drawing done in oil pastels has a waxy look. One advantage of o.p.'s is that there's no dust to clean up; another is that you can scrape fine details or cross-hatching into the surface colour to reveal the layers beneath. Hey, d'you think there's a job for me with the Caran d'Ache marketing department? :D

Dark_Shades
02-27-2003, 07:34 PM
... well I suppose its about time I posted something .... before this weeks thread is out of date :D ..... we all seem to be on the same thoughts.... food lol ... fruits n veggies :)
you guys have been doing some wonderful stuff ... really liked ya narna's doe .... great lemon gina... liked the colours in your peppers Ej ... wonderful colours CH in your pears ......

.... well this was 45mins worth ..... will work on it more when I have time

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2003/12116-StrawberriesandGrapes.jpg

Mo.
02-27-2003, 09:31 PM
My goodness, some super work here.

Does banana's and apple...great work, Carly' pears and lovely abstract landscape, great!! Marsha, I remember doing an upside down painting years ago, it's good practise, something I should try again, thanks for the nudge. :) Gina's garlic and fruit is great, and......... E-J well what can I say? You are producing such wonderful work, you are flying , super peppers, in oil pastels and soft....you are putting us to shame, and those eggs, wonderful, keep going girl! You are on a flow. Me-thinks you are no inexperienced artist at all. :) Dawn, looking good , those grapes and strawberries look nice against the black.

Cheers, all,
Mo.

E-J
02-28-2003, 05:32 AM
Dawn, I love all the colours in those strawberries and apple ~ lovely. And it strikes me again that black makes one of the most effective backgrounds.

Mo, thanks so much for your comments. Before last week, I had only ever produced a handful of pictures in coloured pencil back in 1993, then several paintings in 1997 when I discovered acrylics, and these were all from photos. in 2002 I told myself I really needed to start sketching regularly and doing studies from life, and I managed two or three gouache pictures. In between I've accumulated crayons, oil pastels, water-miscible oils etc but haven't really produced any pictures. To show you how fearful I've always been of making mistakes ~ I've had the same sketchbook [the smallest one that Daler-Rowney do] for six years!!

Over the past 11 days this pastel sketching exercise has freed me to just get on with it. I can't imagine now that I will ever allow myself to go for several years again with no painting!

doe
02-28-2003, 08:54 AM
Wow! Alot happened since yesterday morning! I only posted my apple to be in compliance with the unintentional apple theme, but glad you like it.

Gina - you really are enjoying - nice threesome!

Marsha - the upside down stuff is great, I'm going to try that! and I love the little knife painting, I did some knife painting this year too and really had alot of fun.

E-J - You're way ahead of us and doing great, I might add! The peppers are really well done as are the eggs!

Dawn - Beautiful fruit on the black paper, still haven't tried it myself!

Guess I have to go to the grocery store!

JamieWG
02-28-2003, 09:13 AM
So much to see!

Nice job on the fruits, Gina. It's a combination that sure does remind me of Spain.

EJ, great peppers. Wow! I'll have to get a hold of that video. Love your eggs too. That cloth sure does look convincing to me.

Dawn, the black paper makes the fruit really pop. I keep saying I have to try that....maybe today!

Jamie

Roni Anderson
02-28-2003, 01:59 PM
Great work guys - you have really been putting in some great work! Jamie I am really impressed with the changes in the bowl. And wow, all the veggies and fruit - I'll have to go to the pazzar here and stock up for some work next week!

I will give Jackies suggestion about 'painting with the sides of the pastels' a try next week. But first I have to figure out how to get more done within the time limit of 20-30 minutes...as you can see below, I've got a long way to go. I've had this theme running in my head for a while and tried to work with it [something about how it is easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than it is for a wealthy person to get to heaven...go figure??:cat: ] I welcome your comments and it's ok to laugh, I did...:D

Roni Anderson
02-28-2003, 02:01 PM
Here's the next one: this was about 20 minutes

Roni Anderson
02-28-2003, 02:03 PM
And here's the last one - didn't have time to detail the camel or even put in his footprints...:mad: But is ok for us to go back and work them later right? For right now I'm just trying to get finished....in 30 minutes

Roni Anderson
02-28-2003, 02:15 PM
This one is two 30 minutes time slots on the same piece. I'm trying to get it finished to give it to my dh for his birthday on Monday. I'm trying to work on one or two projects at a time because it helps me to get away from them and go back with 'fresh eyes' to see my errors. ..But then again, this doesn't necessarily fit into the 20-40 minutes scheme of things right? Oh well... Again everyone, I welcome your comments and thanks!

And a close up..

ginatec
02-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Hi Roni

Made me smile with the eye of the needle theme. Love the doggie painting. Your DH sould be very proud to receive this!:)

Roni Anderson
02-28-2003, 02:22 PM
and a closeup...

ginatec
02-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Dawn I love your fruit, yummie. The strawberry looks great and the apple gleams. It's very good!

Mo.
02-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Roni; Must admit also had to smile at your needle and camel. :) your little dog looks great, I'm sure DH will be thrilled.

Well I wasn't going to post this feeble effort after 45 mins work, but thought I'd better or I'd get rapped across the knuckles for not doing anything. :D

Well I've got to be honest it's a mess, and I think it would go down better on a plate with some bread and cheese and eaten! :D:D.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2003/5154-salad.jpg

Cheers,
Mo.

angecald
02-28-2003, 10:06 PM
Okhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2003/17105-onion.JPGay folks, you asked for it. Here is my last week's output, which will be presented in eight (count 'em!) separate posts since I don't know how to do more than one picture per post. I looked for instructions in FAQ and they said specific instructions are in the uploader but I didn't see any. (What's that you say? You didn't ask for this? Nonsense. Here it is.....The Onion)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2003/17105-onion.JPG

angecald
02-28-2003, 10:14 PM
My second presentation, the Infamous Willowcup of Shame, will not be appearing tonight due to size problems, although I am certain it is smaller than the substitute performer I am putting here, the Equally Shameful Teacaddy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2003/17105-teacaddy.JPG

angecald
02-28-2003, 10:27 PM
The uploader objected to the sizes of Jug 1, Jug 2, and Jug 3, denying you, my viewers, the chance to see the exciting progression from feeble to not-bad to somewhat-respectable.

Jug 3 was positioned beside a saucer with a slice of bread on it, and it came out looking as if the jug and the bread were floating in the air a long way above the saucer. Very surreal. I know you'll be sorry to have missed it. Ah well, on with The Egg.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2003/17105-egg.JPG

angecald
02-28-2003, 10:34 PM
I've spent hours preparing these posts, and in the end have succeeded in posting only half of them. Nevertheless, it's been a great learning experience, not to mention painting them in the first place.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2003/17105-apple.JPGHere's the Apple.

Roni Anderson
03-01-2003, 12:46 AM
Mo, I think you did a lovely job - I really like the towel under the veggies - really grounds the work.

Agnes - loading those pix can be a real challange I'm here to tell you that!!! But you did it and wow, it sure was worth the effort - your pix are great!

sundiver
03-01-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Mo.
Roni; Well I wasn't going to post this feeble effort after 45 mins work, but thought I'd better or I'd get rapped across the knuckles for not doing anything. :D
Cheers,
Mo.

I don't think it's feeble at all. And isn't it the the point of this thread, that we will learn by doing timed sketches, and sometimes they won't be masterpieces but that's ok? (Right, Crumby??:D)Because we will all encourage each other to keep going.
Uh-huh, so in the spirit of all that, here's one that's not even close to masterpiece. It's one of those long peppers, not pointed though, and I found it hard to make a composition with it. The purple background is iffy as well. Suggestions are welcome.
Oil pastels 5x7 on yellow card.
And BTW great work, guys:eggs,dogs,camels and all.

E-J
03-01-2003, 04:57 AM
Agnes ~ you've been so busy! Will you be taking the apple and plate sketch further? It's looking really good. Roni ~ I love those pastel strokes in the third camel picture [the one minus the camel, LOL]. Mo ~ wish I could achieve as much in 45 mins. When I try to work quicker and looser my objects just look flat, so I always end up doing longer than I'd planned to, though will be aiming for 30 mins with the next few sketches. Wendy ~ your pepper is great, it looks really solid. Well done to everyone on your sketches :clap:

It's the weekend!! Loads of time to paint!!

Better get on with it, I suppose.

ginatec
03-01-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Mo.
Roni; Must admit also had to smile at your needle and camel. :) your little dog looks great, I'm sure DH will be thrilled.

Well I wasn't going to post this feeble effort after 45 mins work, but thought I'd better or I'd get rapped across the knuckles for not doing anything. :D

Well I've got to be honest it's a mess, and I think it would go down better on a plate with some bread and cheese and eaten! :D:D.

Cheers,
Mo.

Wow Mo
This is fantastic...Looks like the standard of work here is high.
English spring onions...I can taste them now! :clap:

ginatec
03-01-2003, 05:44 AM
Agnes I loved your series of paintings...great work. I like the way you have rendered the apple on the plate and the plate fades into the forground as if the sun bleached it out of focus.

Sundiver that is a fantastic pepper, I love your choice of complementary colours that make it pop-out.

I expect I better try and do something this weekend...it's either that or I have to do the chores!

Dark_Shades
03-01-2003, 06:08 AM
Hi all.... think you are doing all really well .... and like Wendy said .... its not about producing masterpieces (though we all wish we could) ..... alot of it I think is 'giving it a go' - and participating'.. and seeing where it leads.

Welcome Roni..... its good to see you posting ..... Agnes... really liked the look of your egg in an eggcup and your apple on the plate..... Mo, can understand what you are saying...... your work definately looks looser....... why not spend a bit more time on it now and see what happens to it .... think Im with EJ and Crumby here really ...... as I like detail so much I find this work especially hard - and to make anything presentable

.... ohhh by the way, my window on the other thread with the egg..... thanks (think it was EJ) ..... anyway did put a hint of a georgian bar in it.... just lightly .... still not sure if to take it out and leave it alone ......

.... anyways well done to all ...... Im at least enjoying viewing all your works

E-J
03-01-2003, 07:12 AM
As I recall I had no constructive or helpful comment whatsoever to offer about your window, Dawn, so I won't take credit where it isn't due, LOL ~ will you post the picture up again so we can see how it looks?

E-J
03-01-2003, 11:55 AM
OK, I'm going to be brave and ask for help with this one.

My aim was to sketch for 30 mins but as usual I went on fiddling for about 50 mins... gaaah... couldn't leave it alone... the curve of the base of the lamp was bugging me. There was a very obvious line of bright light curving down the right-hand side of the base, and I simply can't get it to look right. It just looks like a line. Hmm. If I cover up that line with my hand the shape of the lamp's base looks a bit better, I think~ but that curved line of light was something I liked about the subject ~ perhaps I just need to cut into that right-hand side a bit? Is it sticking out too much?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2003/13865-lamp.jpg

I also tried Jackie's technique of directional lines to give a sense of roundness, but I think I ended up blending the marks too much ~ the base doesn't look solid enough.

Arrghh!

Still having fun, though... Promise! :D

Dark_Shades
03-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Ej .. this is looking really nice.... I wouldnt worry over the time element .... in the end its just about enjoying yourself and producing good works..... Ha! .... 'ark at me .... am sure in time, the speed will build up, with practise :)
as for your problem .... try not drawing a solid line .. wiggle it about a bit ....... or try perhaps darker shade than you have but lighter than the background... as you are working on this some more... just check the lampshade is just a touch out ...... but this is really a nice piece and like what you have done so far...... lovely colours ..... and I like the base ......

not very good with PSP .... but this may help you with the base

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2003/12116-ej.jpg

E-J
03-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Cheers Dawn. I will play around with that line a little more and see what kind of a mess I can make! Any wonkiness in the shade I'll just leave, I think, and try to do better next time I tackle this subject.

Bought four new colours today, mainly darker tones to supplement those in the box of assorted: a nice dark aliz crimson, an orangey one, a bluish purple and a green with a long name.
I figure these are the colours that are going to magically enable me to paint anything, LOL. You should have seen me in the shop... like a small child in a sweetshop. How sad do you reckon it is to get gleefully excited about buying four little coloured sticks of chalk? Am I worse than a trainspotter? :D

Dark_Shades
03-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Cheers Dawn. I will play around with that line a little more and see what kind of a mess I can make! Any wonkiness in the shade I'll just leave, I think, and try to do better next time I tackle this subject.

Bought four new colours today, mainly darker tones to supplement those in the box of assorted: a nice dark aliz crimson, an orangey one, a bluish purple and a green with a long name.
I figure these are the colours that are going to magically enable me to paint anything, LOL. You should have seen me in the shop... like a small child in a sweetshop. How sad do you reckon it is to get gleefully excited about buying four little coloured sticks of chalk? Am I worse than a trainspotter? :D

Lol Ej .. u got the matching anorak :D .. hee hee ... well I got a couple of'green's today... so theres NO excuse for me not to paint landscapes now ROFLMBO!!!

Mikki Petersen
03-01-2003, 12:57 PM
You are all doing terrific work here! So great to watch...

I came home from the sea with a severe case of the flu (forgot my flu shot this year) and just do not have the energy to comment much but I'm watching everyone doing great stuff here. Hopefully I will soon be back amongst the living...

bnoonan
03-01-2003, 12:58 PM
Hi there,
I just thought I'd drop in long enough to tell you how impressed I am with everyone's work. You've got those fruit, vegies, eggs, and flowers looking great - oh - almost forgot the lamp.

I'm disappointed I missed out on this week's sketches but wanted to know if we'll be doing it again next week?

Sonny, I read that you and Dennis are catching some of the work - so glad to hear we are still part of your life.

Off again for more days of errands.

Happy painting and keep it going...

Barb

E-J
03-01-2003, 01:42 PM
Mikki ~ get better and get back soon!

Barb ~ I for one will certainly be here, faithfully tackling my daily sketches next week... every day... this is my life now... LOL or that's how it feels :D See you then!

Dark_Shades
03-01-2003, 04:45 PM
I was dying to try out the sample papers I got the other week and decided to give one a go ....... wahhh .... totally mucked up ... am surprised how diff papers work .... this one was Art Spectrum, love the thickness of it .... and how it took the pastels.... need to learn to work them diff on this one.... but unfortunately you only get one shot at it.... only one page of different types.... so I just messed around with the bits of space I had left lol ... to try and get a feel of it ..... so .... ended up doodling.... took a couple of mins.... think its a raspberry anyways lol

... sorry its a bit out of focus... its only about 1.5" :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2003/12116-Raspberrydoodle.jpg

Dark_Shades
03-01-2003, 04:46 PM
oops ...... welcome back Mikki.... hoping to see some wonderful seascapes from you

Yup Barb...... another one starting for Monday :D

E-J
03-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Dawn ~ sweet little picture :) But I think I would go mental trying to keep up with a 2-minute challenge!! In the meantime, I've managed to be Ms Speedy and did this one in 35 mins. Aim was to be faster, looser and keep my fingers off it!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2003/13865-3pears.jpg

E-J
03-01-2003, 07:12 PM
OK, last one for today... It's not a terrific photo, the surface of the picture is rather dull because I did a lot of blending. Might perk up if I add a few strokes of unblended pastel on top, though. What do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2003/13865-jug.jpg

Dark_Shades
03-01-2003, 07:25 PM
you are doing really well with these EJ .... like a duck to water... both your pears and this jug and pear are really nice ... how long did this one take ?.... Id guess bit longer than the pears... got some realll nice colours in there.. love the cloth.... reflection is really good... and the jug coming along nicely ... Id just watch the right of it .. the contours and shape, and the line by the handle ....

.. excellent work EJ ... keep em coming...... think you get the gold star this week :D http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2003/12116-goldstar.gif

bnoonan
03-01-2003, 07:43 PM
HI there,
Not sure where the Gold Star came from but it is well deserving.
EJ that gold and prple combination of color in the upper right side of your pitcher looks so "reflective". Well done.

The pears are fun too!

Don't you like that raspberry??? I sure do!!!

Dawn, you are too critical on your work. I personally love the raspberry and the "looseness" of it. Perhaps it's not a technique or style you are accustomed to, but I think it's great.

Just back from dropping off my artwork at the Pastel Society show and it was great to see a glimpse of a few of the entries. I'm humbled.

Daniel Greene is going to present the awards at the end of the month. Pinch me!

Off to have lunch and then dig out my pastels = I have a lot of catching up with you guys.

Barb

Dark_Shades
03-01-2003, 07:49 PM
good luck with the show Barb :) ..... am sure you are going to do very well... I gotta little gold star ready and waiting for you lol ;)

.... thanks for the nice comments on my work (and to everyone else whose said so too :)) its warmly rec'd ..... basically I suck at it lol ... yup you a right Barb, Im not accustomed to this way or style.. so I feel I struggle more than most with it :crying:

..... look forward to what you are going to post ..... shortly :evil:

E-J
03-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Who are you calling a duck? LOL Thanks for the star, Dawn :) The jug took about 1hr 10... it's funny how the errors in curves and proportions always leap out at me from the photo as soon as I've posted it ~ I suppose seeing it on a smaller scale is like stepping back a bit. I'll fix that right-hand side tomorrow.

It's been a great day's pastelling. Was supposed to be going out with friends but fortunately for me they cancelled, so I got to spend the whole evening playing with my pastels :D I noticed today that I've got greenish-blue gunk permanently under my thumbnail and I can't get it out... does this make me officially an artist? ;)

Dark_Shades
03-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Who are you calling a duck? LOL

oops ... sorry .... thought you said you were quackers!!! :evil: :D ;)

JamieWG
03-01-2003, 09:26 PM
EJ, I love your three pears and your pitcher. You are getting better and better at warp speed! Way to go!

Jamie

bnoonan
03-01-2003, 10:00 PM
EJ - Maybe you are officially an artist when you annoint your forehead and cheeks with pastel dust because you forget about it when you scratch.
;) barb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2003/13264-25-minute.jpg

Here's my 25 minute sketch. I was thinking about cooking the asparagus for dinner but now I may have to save them till I have proper light and more colors available. That green and purple are fun colors.

Barb

JamieWG
03-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Barb, cute quickie mushrooms!

Here's tonight's sketch. Not one of my best efforts. :crying: But at least I did it. Pushed the pastels around for 45 minutes, but nothing seemed to help. Putting in that light background really hurt me; the dark grey of the paper would have been much better! 9X12, Mi Tientes paper.

Jamie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2003/13766-sketch_030103_wooden_vase_apple.jpg

angecald
03-02-2003, 01:32 AM
It sure is fun to check in here every night and see what you all have been up to. I think everybody's work is looking looser and fresher than when we started, does anybody else notice? The fruits and vegetables are jumping off the page, the crockery has greatly improved texture and form. And some of us have come up with an idea or two to develop further. This is really paying off already.:)

E-J
03-02-2003, 06:16 AM
Nice little button shrooms, Barb! You make it look like a simple setup but I bet the asparagus is really challenging.

Jamie, I like the delicate strokes you've used for the plant ~ and the darks on your ribbon. And you're right, just doing it is the important thing. I guess we learn just as much from the sketches we're not happy with as the ones we are.

Agnes ~ this whole sketch thread is great, isn't it, doing and sharing a picture [or three] every day I'm making more progress with the medium than I could have hoped. Are you planning to work a bit more on the apple/plate sketch you started? I did like the colours of that apple against the black edge of the plate.

Dawn ~ the raspberry was really cute and I'm eagerly awaiting your next nano fruit sketch... But you realise what you've started... 2-minute sketches make it impossible to claim you haven't got time to fit one in!! If you're pushed for time even to spend the full 120 seconds, you could always try a grape, a cranberry or a single blackcurrant :D

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by E-J

Dawn ~ the raspberry was really cute and I'm eagerly awaiting your next nano fruit sketch... But you realise what you've started... 2-minute sketches make it impossible to claim you haven't got time to fit one in!! If you're pushed for time even to spend the full 120 seconds, you could always try a grape, a cranberry or a single blackcurrant :D

ROFLMAO!!! ..... *gives ya a smackeroon muaaaah!! lolol .... ya did it .... thats Exactly what I will do lolol

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 06:21 AM
hubby was going food shopping yesterday and I asked him to get me something nice to sketch LOLOLOL .... guess what he came back with..... go on guess!!

..... A blinking...... Pineapple !!!!!!!

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 06:23 AM
...... my art may not be improving.... But ... we are sure eating healthier for it!!!

LOLOLOL

doe
03-02-2003, 08:44 AM
Yikes, I can't believe all that's going on here! And - I went to the grocery store and bought the same thing as E-J! Now it's sort of a drab thing to post after her beautiful Pears but I will anyway because that's all I have! First I'm going to show you my failure and then my much looser version (tell me if I stepped too far out of my box).

Here is my first version that really is a failure because it took at least 1 1/2 hrs. and was blended to death, it was annoying me and wasn't any fun:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/12181-Pears1.jpg

Here is the second version that took about 40 mins., absolutely no blending, and was loads of fun:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/12181-Pears2.jpg

Everyone is doing beautiful work! And I for one am beginning to feel more liberated! (That's what happens when you get out of your box I guess.):D

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 09:09 AM
Doe ..... I love your first one ...... if this is a failure.... well I'll be blowed ....... Id like failures like that ..... I think the pears are wonderful.... wonderful colours too - so ok you may have gone longer than the initial desired time slot...... but the finished picture is wonderful

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 09:13 AM
love the colours in your second one doe ..... good for you to keep trying... but must confess love the first one ;) .... I know Im missing the point ..... lol cant help myself :D

E-J
03-02-2003, 09:57 AM
Doe ~ I love both versions of your pears ~ the first ones are so shiny I'd like to reach out and touch them! The second version is wonderfully lively and has an impressionist feel to it ~ like it very much.

OK, so I bought the little yellow jug yesterday especially to paint and already it's driving me nuts. Here's the jug & pear setup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/13865-jug_setup.JPG

I've used a flash, so the light/shadow won't be quite the same in the photo but you can see the shape of the jug, which is what's getting right up my nose at the minute.

Here's the jug from yesterday's picture before and after this afternoon's fiddling session. I think it's even worse now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/13865-jug1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/13865-jug_shape1.JPG

Lastly, here's this afternoon's not-very-good 35-min sketch:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/13865-jug_shape2.JPG

I think the sides are a bit more accurate but I still struggled a lot with the top of the jug and its handle.

Seeing the pictures like this, or flipping the picture back-to-front in PSP, I can SEE the errors but somehow I still can't seem to fix them. I just can't get it. It's driving me mad. What am I missing?

Help!

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 10:03 AM
Hi Ej .... what a lovely little jug..... lovely little set up ..... from what I can see, I think you are thinking this is a jug lol ... but not viewing your jug..... you are or it appears trying to give it a bowl round shape at the base..... but looking at the jug... the shape is all the same from the rim downwards..... try downward type strokes....... hope this makes sense .... why not just practise getting doing the jug .... hope this helps

doe
03-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Stopped back in here before logging off -becoming addicted to this thread!

So, my point was that the first version was not loose enough and my intent on doing this sketch thing is to loosen up, now version 2 is loose and was more fun to do, so it seems to be more successful, personally anyway.:confused:

E-J your pitcher top has more of an elipse to it - try closing one eye and looking at it. Your drawing is showing too much of the inside so you could bring the rim up a bit and straighten the sides more if you are going for an accurate shape. Having said that, I find the first version the most charming even though the shape is off.:)

E-J
03-02-2003, 10:18 AM
Dawn ~ you're right ~ I'm making the jug more bowl-like ~ exaggerating, maybe, what I think I see as I'm sort of looking down on it. The jug in the photo appears to have much less shape than the jug I've actually been looking at ~ I'm convinced it's the camera that's getting it wrong and not me, LOL. I'll try some 30-min sketches of the jug on its own using downward strokes as you suggest. Might also have to leave the handle till I've got the main jug shape down, as I do get easily distracted by the problem of the places where the handle meets the side... I'm sure I'm making this more complicated than it is... all this fuss over a small yellow jug. I'm back to painting fruit tomorrow!!! :D

E-J
03-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Thanks Doe! Looks like I'm exaggerating the curves in all directions! Determined to do this. Thanks for the input.

JamieWG
03-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Doe, 'like the first set of pears, love the second!

EJ, what a nice pitcher! I have a favorite set of blue pitchers that make their way into paintings time and again. You'll get your money's worth out of that one! FWIW, when doing the pitchers, I draw in the spout and handle after the basic shape of the body. I find it easier to get the symmetry and shape without those distractions, and then they're easier to put in when the rest is right. What a great cloth you have to go with the pitcher and pears! Perfect colors!

Last night's sketch was my first chance to use my pastels in the new pastel case. It was a totally fabulous experience when I went to paint and only had to open up a single case rather than the usual six boxes! And everything's right there....just fold up and put away when done. Highly recommended.

Dawn, I'm still determined to try black! Have both matboard and Stonehenge....hmmmm.....maybe tonight, since I didn't cut into it last night.

I think I missed a whole page or two of this thread. So easy to do! I'll have to go back and look, and stay more up to date next week. It's interesting that of the three forums with sketching threads (colored pencil, oils, and pastels), this is the most active by far. I think pastels naturally lend themselves to this kind of work.

Jamie

Roni Anderson
03-02-2003, 10:35 AM
Yummy rasberry...from where did you order the samples of papers?? Might like to try some of that stuff myself!

I wonder EJ if you lightened the background on the right of the lamp a bit...seems like it pulls the eye away from the lamp a little, what do you think?

Doe - great pears - REALLY like the second one - fresh and inviting to my eye.

EJ - wonderful shadows in the jug...somehow a little yellow jug will never be the same, right?? Great colors..

Was out of town this weekend...will try to get some sketching in tonight!

E-J
03-02-2003, 10:39 AM
Thanks Jamie. It's the last day of this weekly pastel thread and by the end of today I have GOT to produce a jug that isn't wonky!!

I suspect I will end up buying a pastel box like yours. Depends on shipping costs to the UK, tho... Does the foam really hold even loose pastels snugly in place when you're carrying the box around? I guess it does... that's why it's called a tote, right? :rolleyes: Anyway... I'm very tempted...

Waiting patiently for Dawn's pineapple. ;)

Roni ~ thanks for your suggestion! :)

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Roni Anderson
Yummy rasberry...from where did you order the samples of papers?? Might like to try some of that stuff myself!

Lol thanks Roni ;) ..... sample pack was from Dakota Pastels.... Meow told me about it on another thread

http://www.dakotapastels.com/index_paper.shtml

We have put together a sample packet of all of our pastel papers. Each piece is 9" x 12" making it large enough for you to try out the surface. The packet contains one sheet from each type of paper: Art Spectrum Colourfix, Dakota Pastel Board, Ersta P500, La Carte, Schmincke Sansfix, Velour, Velour Board, Wallis Pro, Wallis Museum, Wallis Grey, Arches Cover, Bergerac, Canson Mi-Teintes, Larroque, Somerset and Pastel Cloth. Colors are selected at random from the lines with multiple colors.

$25.00/15.92 plus $7.50/4.78 packing and postage

.... it is really nice being able to see and feel these papers that Ive heard so much about

Roni Anderson
03-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Mikki - hope you get to feeling much better!

EJ - you' re welcome. What is the tote you are talking about?

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 10:45 AM

Dawn, I'm still determined to try black! Have both matboard and Stonehenge....hmmmm.....maybe tonight, since I didn't cut into it last night.

Jamie

.... lol Jamie..... Ive only 932 sheets left to go lolol

JamieWG
03-02-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by E-J
Thanks Jamie. Does the foam really hold even loose pastels snugly in place when you're carrying the box around?

EJ, yes the foam holds them! In fact, the store cuts an extra piece of foam for each side and puts it into the box. For Unisons and thick sticks, you don't need the extra foam, but you can keep an extra piece on one side for thinner pastels. It does hold it firmly. I have to push the panels together pretty hard to close the latches on my box! Can't wait to show it to my teacher on Tuesday. I have a feeling people in my class will be very interested too.

Looking forward to your jug later in the day! I have to go shopping today too. Last week, hubby did the shopping for me and came home with clementines, onions, and flowers. :D Maybe it's better when I send him!

Dawn, looking forward to the pineapple.

Jamie

JamieWG
03-02-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades

.... lol Jamie..... Ive only 932 sheets left to go lolol

Dawn, is it Stonehenge? Do you use the rougher side for your pastel work? I have lots here to try....all colors of Stonehenge that I use for colored pencil work, a huge sheet from a roll of Rieves printmaking paper that a pastel artist gave me who loves it, and a pad of LaCarte! Better git goin'! For some reason, I just keep doing the sketches from the pad of Mi Tientes colors that I have!

Jamie

bnoonan
03-02-2003, 11:51 AM
Wow - I can tell what time zone you are all on. I get on the thread and it's filled before I get my cup of coffee finished.

EJ - I love all three versions of the jug and I think part of the fun is seeing what is different each time you look at your piece. I keep reminding myself that these are sketches and try not to get too overwhelmed with them.

Doe - wonderful pear(s). Is pear plural? or should I say great Pair! Your words below the loose piece are so reflective of the energy you are experiencing from this type of quick work. Keep it up - it's great. You are inspiring all of us!

Dawn - Pineapples are great - though I haven't painted them myself. I figure if you only have 30 minutes, it should be pretty easy. - right?

Roni - welcome back. Can't wait to see what you add to the list.

Jamie - what's happening????

PS: I just got back Friday from a trip to Seattle where I almost made it to the Dakota Art Store. We ran out of time but in all the 19 years I've lived in Seattle, I never went. Now I'm considering ordering that set of paper you talked about.

Ciao! Barb

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 12:10 PM
..... lol ..... ok

tah Dahhhhhh !!!

..... me pineapple lol ..... hey please note...... NO Black paper!!.... I even got in a quick background wooooo hoooooo ..... but please lol just ignore the pineapple :D .... ok this was on the smoother side of Canson ..... took 30mins

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/12116-Pineapple.jpg

I quite like the grapefruit ....... hmmm

Im still not sure about this though ...... if Im cutting down the time of painting.... surely Im just making mistakes quicker.... right? (sorry Im being whingey again lol ..... the concept still doesnt sit right with me) ..... if Im not sure of colours and tones... Im not rightly going to get them by working quicker

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 12:13 PM

Dawn, is it Stonehenge? Do you use the rougher side for your pastel work? I have lots here to try....all colors of Stonehenge that I use for colored pencil work, a huge sheet from a roll of Rieves printmaking paper that a pastel artist gave me who loves it, and a pad of LaCarte! Better git goin'! For some reason, I just keep doing the sketches from the pad of Mi Tientes colors that I have!

Jamie

Jamie its Canson Mi-Tientes ..... I use the rougher side..... mind you I just used the smoother side on the pineapple..... was cheating lol ..... thought wouldnt need so much pastel and perhaps could get it done in shorter time..... Ive been hearing some good things about Stonehenge... Id like to get some

bnoonan
03-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Jamie - OOPS - boy do I feel bad. I didn't think you had posted anything for awhile and then realized I passed right over the red ribbon in my search. Sorry. I think I must have taken a nip of from the bottle on your first painting. hic hic

Nice job on your quick piece. I think if you had put another 5 minutes (set a timer) into the shadow and desaturated the blue a bit you would be much happier with it.

I think it's great!

Dawn - coladas all around. Ask Jamie for the rest of the ingredients - they are in the clay pot.

Haven't painted a pineapple but I think I'd prefer to eat one instead. Good colors, great reflections.

(PS pina coladas don't have grapefruit in them in the US)

Barb

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by bnoonan
Haven't painted a pineapple but I think I'd prefer to eat one instead. Good colors, great reflections.

(PS pina coladas don't have grapefruit in them in the US)

Barb

... they DO now :evil: lol

sundiver
03-02-2003, 01:39 PM
Look what happens when you take some time off to do the laundry, clean up the kitchen,etc: 3 more pages on this thread and beautiful work by E-J, Doe , Dawn and Jamie!
E-J, cameras WILL sometimes distort perspective.
Dawn, I think the big benefit of timed sketches is for those of us who compulsively overwork our pictures without realizing it, then are disappointed with what we get. This way we have to make decisions more quickly, can't stop to work one little area to death, less chance of over-blending.
I guess we are "making mistakes quicker" but I'm hoping to make fewer of them after some practice. Anyway, don't you find we learn as much from each other's mistakes as from each other's successes, because we're sharing them and discussing them? (wipes away a tear)
I'm gonna go raid the fridge, draw the contents and then eat them!

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
Dawn, I think the big benefit of timed sketches is for those of us who compulsively overwork our pictures without realizing it, then are disappointed with what we get. This way we have to make decisions more quickly, can't stop to work one little area to death, less chance of over-blending.
I guess we are "making mistakes quicker" but I'm hoping to make fewer of them after some practice. Anyway, don't you find we learn as much from each other's mistakes as from each other's successes, because we're sharing them and discussing them? (wipes away a tear)
I'm gonna go raid the fridge, draw the contents and then eat them!

ohhh yes definately Wendy .... :) its great sharing and discussing ... love it .... just my occassional whinge lol that I dont do better.......

lolol ...... you go ..... will look forward to seeing what you ate hee hee

JamieWG
03-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by bnoonan
Jamie - what's happening????

Well gee, I don't know Barb! What's happening with what? You mean, why are my sketches getting worse? LOL

Jamie

E-J
03-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Roni ~ the tote I was referring to is Jamie's new acquisition ~ it's gorgeous and I WANT one [stomps feet]:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91413

OK, I think I'm done for the week... Went back to my little jug, see below for the result after 1hr 15. Incidentally, Dawn, I found it helped me to spend more time on this one object, concentrating on getting the drawing right and observing properly. I think rapid sketching AND longer studies are the way to go ~ which means we've got twice as much work ahead of us I guess :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/13865-bigjug.jpg

No matter how hard I try, though, I am fated never to paint a 'straight' jug. It must be the way the shadows fall round it or something but it gives me the illusion of something far more rounded. Or perhaps this is just my painting style [groping for excuses now]. Anyway.... I'm fairly pleased with it.

And last and least, three pears revisited ~ husband has just quipped 'Don't three pairs make a full house?' ~ this time in oil pastel, a 30-minute quickie [they don't really have those pale blobs on the edges, it's just the flash reflecting off the highlights ~ honest]:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/13865-pears_op.jpg

One of my oil pastels broke so I started using the smaller piece on its side and it was great fun! Using the soft pastels seems to have opened up possibilities :D

E-J
03-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Dawn ~ nice pineapple ~ but I LOVE the slice of grapefruit! Beautifully done.

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by E-J
[B]Dawn, I found it helped me to spend more time on this one object, concentrating on getting the drawing right and observing properly. I think rapid sketching AND longer studies are the way to go ~ which means we've got twice as much work ahead of us I guess :D

... We've...... We've!!! ......??? .... how'd I fit into this equation lol .... erm ... is this meant to be encouraging me lol

JamieWG
03-02-2003, 02:39 PM
My gosh, this thread is so funny. I just came back from the grocery store and there's another two pages. You're all amazing! I have to learn to reply right away here when I see something, otherwise when I come back I'll never find it again.

Barb, I replied to yours before reading your second (or was it your third!!!) since I'd last checked.....so you did finally see my disaster. I'll try neutralizing that shadow a little and see if it helps my cause. I'm pretty happy with getting two sketches in here for the week. I got two oils sketches done too, plus worked longer periods on two large oil paintings in progress and finished up my large pastel still life in my class. I like the sketches for when I don't have a lot of time. I think we can learn a lot, and on those days when I'm so pressed for time and can't tackle one of my bigger works, it gives me such a nice feeling of accomplishment to do one of these. My goal is to get in at least one sketch a week for pastels and put at least 3 hours into a bigger pastel work, either in class or here. Most of my time goes to oils, and some to colored pencil too. So when you don't see me here, I'm probably still working away!

Dawn, you did it!!! Record time too. The pineapple looks great and love the grapefruit. My hubby just went shopping with me and I told him your pineapple story. That was probably just as you were painting it too. He thought it was so funny. I bought lots of stuff to paint---3 pears that were at a perfect red/green stage (by the time I'm done with them they'll be ripe heeeheee), acorn and spaghetti squash, yellow and green zucchini squash, lemons, and they had bouquets of tulips and irises on sale---so got yellow tulips/purple irises. Should be a fun week of veggies 'n stuff.

EJ, your pitcher rocks now! Love the shape and the shading. Nice pears too. Hope I can do them without embarrassing myself. My first go at pears....

Dawn, that's a lot of black Mi Tientes! Wish I could take some off your hands. I haven't used the rough side of the MT yet. Will have to have a go at that. I like so much to see it all smooth, I've been afraid to try it out of fear that I won't be able to stop myself from blending on the rough side.

Roni, I'm really loving this pastel case. So glad I stained and polyurethaned it before loading it up too.

Keep up the great work, everybody.

Jamie

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 02:40 PM
..... how many of you are doing a pencil sketch first

JamieWG
03-02-2003, 02:45 PM
..... how many of you are doing a pencil sketch first

Dawn, do you mean a sketch on the pastel paper, with pastel over it? Or do you mean a thumbnail sketch on a different piece of paper? I don't sketch on the pastel paper, but for some I do a thumbnail if there are a number of items involved. This week, I just dove right in with pastels though---no sketches of either type.

I do find that if I do the thumbnail sketch first, getting the shapes and positions of the objects goes much faster, and is more accurate, when I pick up the pastels.

Jamie

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 02:49 PM
I bought lots of stuff to paint---3 pears that were at a perfect red/green stage (by the time I'm done with them they'll be ripe heeeheee), acorn and spaghetti squash, yellow and green zucchini squash, lemons, and they had bouquets of tulips and irises on sale---so got yellow tulips/purple irises. Should be a fun week of veggies 'n stuff.

Dawn, that's a lot of black Mi Tientes! Wish I could take some off your hands. I haven't used the rough side of the MT yet. Will have to have a go at that. I like so much to see it all smooth, I've been afraid to try it out of fear that I won't be able to stop myself from blending on the rough side.

Jamie

Ohhhh sounds wonderful what you bought Jamie.... cant wait to see what you do with them for next week ;)
Ha! .... I think I'll accompany my hubbie next week :D .... dont want no nasty surprises again hee hee

..... was only teasing about the amount of black paper.... it was that I had ordered a pack and when it arrived had little sticky barcode labels all on one side of paper.... Barb said I should complain.... so I just emailed them (Dick Blick) ... and got a reply straight away .... they said I could keep the paper I already had and would send me FOC another pack.... which they did.... Im so impressed with them :)
.... the black rougher side is not as raised as the rougher side to the Ivory in the Canson ..... must confess was rather shocked when I first used it ..... had to work it alot more to fill the tooth ..... had only used Ingres up until then ..... I like it alot now :)

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 02:51 PM

Dawn, do you mean a sketch on the pastel paper, with pastel over it? Or do you mean a thumbnail sketch on a different piece of paper? I don't sketch on the pastel paper, but for some I do a thumbnail if there are a number of items involved. This week, I just dove right in with pastels though---no sketches of either type.

Jamie

yup, meant sketch on the pastel paper with pastel over it .... was just thinking it might help EJ with her jug :)

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 02:55 PM
.... I dont think Im ever gonna be a loose woman

... Roflmbo!!!

E-J
03-02-2003, 03:09 PM
Dawn ~ I already do an underdrawing, in charcoal. I spent longer on it for the final study of the jug. Guess I'm beyond help :)

Jamie, I'll have to make sure I keep up with your work on the other forums. How much time a week do you get to devote to your painting? As a musician, do you work unusual hours? Sorry if that's a stupid question ~ you could be a music teacher and work regular hours ~ just wondering! :) I really wish I had more time for painting. Since I've been filling my evenings and weekends with these pastel sketches, I've been feeling that if I could do this every single minute of every day forever and ever I would be a happy woman. Now I just have to figure out how to ditch the hated 9-5...

JamieWG
03-02-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by E-J Jamie, I'll have to make sure I keep up with your work on the other forums. How much time a week do you get to devote to your painting? As a musician, do you work unusual hours? [/B]

EJ, yes, I work mostly evenings and weekends, with just Sundays off. I do teach, but my students are either working during the day or in school during the day, so that leaves lessons for mostly during those after-hours slots. I try to paint in the mornings....but also have to do the shopping/cooking/cleaning and have a meal prepared for the family's dinner before I go. 3X/week my daughter comes with me and goes to gymnastics at night right down the street from where I teach, so I work my teaching hours into those slots on those nights and it's great! But I have to work almost a full day on Saturdays, and a very long and late stretch on Monday afternoons-nights.

Tuesday mornings I have a 3-hour pastel class and Thursdays a 3-hour oils class. That usually leaves me with a couple more mornings to paint. I've given up my 12-year musical duo this year to put the extra time to painting. Initially I was just giving it up during the fall to get in the last of the plein air season with the fall colors.....but I keep extending and extending that. Sooner or later I will have to give up painting time to get more instrumental practice time instead. :crying: I used to just paint once a week!

Jamie

BlackHorseDesign
03-02-2003, 04:43 PM
Got a cropped version of a 16x20 I "salvaged". It began as a testing board for a new set of sampler pastels I bought from fineartstore.com. Wanted to try each one out! :D The blue suede board literally had a bunch of scribbles all over it.

Then I was reading through Lesley Harrison's pastel/animals book. Tried a wolf paw. Then the wolf head. Well, one thing led to another, and you can hardly see the original scribbles. :) But it's been sitting on my easel ever since. Wonder when I'll get around to finishing it? :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/19433-autumncontemplation.jpg

E-J
03-02-2003, 05:34 PM
hello Sheri ~ wow ~ this is beautiful work ~ how long did it take you? I'm betting longer than 30 minutes :D Have you posted it in the Animal and Wildlife Art forum?

BlackHorseDesign
03-02-2003, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure. About 2-3 hours or so. When I get on a roll, I really get on a roll! :D It's just getting ON that roll that's the tricky part. heehee

There's more to it than the scan shows, but my scanner is a bit crowded at the moment as I have a second printer taking up space. Can't move it around like I used to, to be able to do these scans of oversized pics. Guess I gotta do some shuffling around and cleaning up. :rolleyes:

erinj
03-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Hi Everyone!

Clocking in at the end of the week, for Show and Tell, and Advice!!

Here's my Bird and Peppers set up, (not the exact set up as the drawing). This pastel might have been over the 2 hour sketch limit, with my fiddling later in the week.

As you can see, I have no idea how to do the folds of the silk. (I saw pink from the wall drapery, and blue in the shadows, (now from this digital I see green) but I can't make it look like folds, yet)...And, the other colors are surely too wild!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/14716-BirdandPeppers4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/14716-BirdandPeppersPastel5.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/14716-BirdandPeppersPastel3.jpg

Here is the bird and egg set up. You can't see the values of the black dishcloth. Maybe I just need to continue with some mid-tones?? I wish I knew how to paint with the computer to get ideas. I did make xerox copies of this to mess around and try to learn.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/14716-EggandBird2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/14716-EggandBirdPastel10.jpg

I like this still life set up of the pink bottle, apples and plaid table cloth... Only spent a short time on the pastel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/14716-PinkBottlewithApples.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/14716-PinkBottleandApplesPastel.jpg

Here is Petey and the cans...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/14716-PeteyandCansPastel3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/14716-PeteyandCans5.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/14716-PeteyandCans71.jpg

I dislike the general color tone of my painting of Petey and the cans... it was only a short sketch, I don't remember exactly but I think about an hour, from life. (Later I video taped the same scene and pulled off a still picture to show you the scene...) My cans look transparent, don't they. I also made xerox copies of this painting, (it happens to look better in b & w)!! So, I can experiment a little with this one too.

And, a final pastel from life, that I'm not too happy about the color! Petey's perch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/14716-PeteysPerch.jpg

I do think I learned from doing all this... maybe next week will be better because of this week's attempts!

Jamie, I sketched guitarists in pencil (and my cats in charcoal), and posted on the Drawing and Sketching Weekly Thread.

Oh, and here are some of the pictures that really inspired me this week; I really LOVED E-Js' jug and pears. The light blue behind the pitcher you fiddled with, is nice, E-J! The 3 pear painting is beautiful too.

Also, loved both of Doe's pear paintings.

The lone rasberry is great. The idea of just spending 2 or 5 minutes on a color sketch is great too! I also liked Dark Shades' full fruit composition on black and the pinapple too! I've always been afraid to try a pinapple! Maybe now I'll try one!

I love angecald's color and touch.

And Mo's green dishcloth, veggies, and tulips.

And, Roni's dog.

I'm really jealous of E-J's brown egg and blue cloth!!

Gina's garlic has inspired me!
Doe's bananas-apple composition is lovely and I love Carly's pears and landscape!

Oh, the cherry blossom tree too is so nice!

oh my, I'm probably forgetting some things. Jamie, I mentioned I loved your pot in the oil forum. I also really love this copper one in pastels early in the week. Your glass bottles are soooooo wonderful. (Oh, and your little red ribbon too is so real!) The big pastel of the bottles, (that you did in class) is so very nice too.

Anyway, I wanted to let you all know I'm paying attention and really being inspired by your daily work!
Thanks for taking a look at my attempts here. Thank you in advance for any suggestions! And have a wonderful and productive upcoming week!!

Erin

E-J
03-02-2003, 05:53 PM
Tuesday mornings I have a 3-hour pastel class and Thursdays a 3-hour oils class. That usually leaves me with a couple more mornings to paint.

Thanks for the insight into how your time is organised, Jamie ~ it sounds like you lead an extremely full life! :D

I often wonder who on the site [aside from those who paint professionally, of course] is studying formally, what other commitments people are juggling in order to make time for their art, who has their own studio or space in which to paint, etc.

I have a colleague who works part-time and the days she isn't at the office she's working towards her stitched textiles qualification ~ as I start to consider, at the grand old age of 32, how much of my life is taken up doing a job I don't enjoy and how little time we have on the planet to make our mark and celebrate being alive by doing the things we really love, I wonder whether I shouldn't figure out a way to do what wise people do and fit my work in around my passions, rather than the other way around! :)

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by BlackHorseDesign

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/19433-autumncontemplation.jpg

.. that is one beautiful wolf Blackhorse :clap: .... they will go nuts over in the animal forum ..... please make sure you show them there... they will love it

Jamie lol ... you make me feel tired just listening to your daily life lol ..... so glad though that you still get time to paint and post

.... EJ .... I know what you mean .... Im just swopping my 9-5.30 Monday week..... :D ..... for
..... a 9-5 Lololol ... hey that means I can get a pastel in each day.... :evil: .... I dont fink so lolol

hey Erin..... will have to find my busy bee award for you lol ....
I love your use of colours.... they are soooo pretty... the two that are my favourites are the cat with the tins .... love that... cant decide which one I love more..... that one of the one with the fruit and bottle........ just love that pink reflection .... both really great .... well done

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by E-J

I wonder whether I shouldn't figure out a way to do what wise people do and fit my work in around my passions, rather than the other way around! :)

I think EJ... you will find 95% of WC are in the same boat, the $1,000,000.00 question is ..... can you survive with out the financial support of your 9-5, if the answer is yes.... then dont get up for work in the morning lolol

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 06:17 PM
..... hee heee.... was just thinking about EJ not getting up in the morning for work ......
..... and looked at what Id been working on tonight ..... hee hee... forgive me for posting.... but thought was funny

....... anyone got a good title for it?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2003/12116-Title.jpg

Dark_Shades
03-02-2003, 06:32 PM
.... sorry forgot to comment on Jamie and Barbs work ...... Jamie I really liked your vase and apple ... if you rework it anymore would you post it again :) ..... Barb I really liked your asparagus ..... I wanted to eat them.... gave me quite a fancy for them lol .....

Question .... for those that post photos of their setups.... Im just wondering here....... is it alright for others who are participating in these weekly projects to use them too?

Im going off to open next weeks one :D ..... well EJ may need it open if she isnt going to work tomorrow ;) lol ..... ok Im off to bed..... one of us at least has to get up in the morning..... wahhhh :crying:

erinj
03-02-2003, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dark_Shades
.... sorry forgot to comment on Jamie and Barbs work ...... Jamie I really liked your vase and apple ... if you rework it anymore would you post it again :) ..... Barb I really liked your asparagus ..... I wanted to eat them.... gave me quite a fancy for them lol .....

Yes, Jamie, please do post it again and I will also be very interested in seeing your oil painting of cabinet and books, the still life that the Russian teacher set up. It looks very difficult to do, but lovely color scheme to try. I hope you have time on the weekends to paint too! I liked the asparagus and mushrooms too, Barb, I forgot to say that! It's a fun piece!

[B]Question .... for those that post photos of their setups.... Im just wondering here....... is it alright for others who are participating in these weekly projects to use them too?

I'd be really tickled if anyone wanted to draw any of the still life's I set up this week (or probably any future week too, for that matter), Dark Shades... It would help me a lot to see how others did them. Actually, I can see things differently looking at the digital photo as opposed to life. I can see the folds better with the photo, it seems now.

I loved the wolf pastel painting. It is breathtaking! I've sketched charcoal drawings of photos of dogs this week too, and want to put them in color.

E-J, I am thinking about the same thoughts you have too, about how to make art more of a priority.

Dark Shades, I'm glad you like Petey and the tins. I go back and forth!

Erin

JamieWG
03-02-2003, 08:13 PM
[B....... anyone got a good title for it? [/B]

Ummm....How about "EJ on Monday Morning After Winning the Lottery" :D

Dawn, I work from life not from photos when doing these sketches, but if anybody wants pics, I'd be happy to take photos of the setups and post them. 'Don't want to take the time for that though unless somebody is interested.

Jamie

JamieWG
03-02-2003, 08:22 PM
Erin, I really enjoyed seeing your week's worth of sketches. Love your colorful approach---the first one is so vibrant! I know what you mean about fabric folds..boy oh boy can I relate to that. Also like the kitty and cans....and HEY.....I recognize that bottle! LOL.....

I did look at your sketches in the drawing forum. Will comment there when I get a chance. Surprising that the thread didn't catch on as well there as in the other forums. I guess maybe they just post their sketches on separate threads as a general rule anyway. Liked your guitarists! :D What competition was that? Who won? (Anybody I know?)

I'll post that oil painting to its own thread in the Oils Forum if it ever gets finished and I don't kill the teacher first. :evil: So, if I seem to disappear, check the County Jail. Also am working on finishing up the portrait of DraigAthar and her parrot, and Jenna, and have to put clothes on the model I ran out of time with. LOL...

Meanwhile, my daughter said tonight, "Mommy, when are you going to paint the acorn and spaghetti squash?" I said, "I don't know yet. Why?" She replied, "Becuase I want to be able to eat them soon." She knows there's no way anybody's eating stuff until it's painted!

Blackhorse, LOVE your wolf! Totally awesome drawing, well-deserving of its very own thread.

Dawn, lovely portrait. Forgot to say that before. I don't know how those come so easily to you!

Jamie

Roni Anderson
03-03-2003, 04:12 AM

Lol thanks Roni ;) ..... sample pack was from Dakota Pastels.... Meow told me about it on another thread

http://www.dakotapastels.com/index_paper.shtml

We have put together a sample packet of all of our pastel papers. Each piece is 9" x 12" making it large enough for you to try out the surface. The packet contains one sheet from each type of paper: Art Spectrum Colourfix, Dakota Pastel Board, Ersta P500, La Carte, Schmincke Sansfix, Velour, Velour Board, Wallis Pro, Wallis Museum, Wallis Grey, Arches Cover, Bergerac, Canson Mi-Teintes, Larroque, Somerset and Pastel Cloth. Colors are selected at random from the lines with multiple colors.

$25.00/15.92 plus $7.50/4.78 packing and postage

.... it is really nice being able to see and feel these papers that Ive heard so much about

Thanks DarkShades - I've ordered them! Now lets just see how long it takes to get to Turkey :confused: !

E-J
03-03-2003, 06:13 AM

the $1,000,000.00 question is ..... can you survive with out the financial support of your 9-5

The answer is... no.

LOL

Oh well. The dream was alive for five minutes, at least.

I would be very surprised if I won the lottery as I don't play the lottery ~ would rather waste my money on art supplies!!! :D

Last night I was moping around with the pre-Monday blues and husband told me: "If you want to take some time off to try to find a job that will make you happy, or to do something with your art, then you should do it. I'll support you in anything you want to do." What an incredible man he is.

So, anyway, it's Monday morning and here I am at the office ~ not lazing in bed at all!! :) I've even been for a pre-work swim, I'll have you know! Got to thinking that it might be fun to take a sketchbook to the swimming pool and sit in the viewing gallery and sketch the swimmers ~ and I shouldn't even be peeking at WC as I've got lots to do, but I just can't seem to help myself... Got one minute in which to comment on the posts.

Thank you Erin for your nice comments on my sketches! I don't feel qualified to offer you advice on your setup, which looks far more complicated than mine ~ but it looks to be coming along well ~ you've really got your own style.

Dawn ~ yep, go ahead and use my photo if it's any use to you ~ maybe I'll try sketching from the photo too and see if I can do better than I did from the 3D setup!

E-J
03-03-2003, 08:29 AM
Forgot to mention Erin's cats... lovely... I had already seen and admired the ones you posted to the Drawing & Sketching forum... Wish my cat was still alive so I could sketch him :( I do think that while dogs tend to be quite photogenic animals, cats are more ~ hmm ~ what's the drawing/painting equivalent of photogenic?? :)

doe
03-03-2003, 09:55 AM
:evil: Just lost entire post and now only have time to say bravo to everyone for such a productive week!:clap:

Roni Anderson
03-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Going to post some work I did yesterday that I didn't have a chance to post. I'll be out of town for the next three days for some minor surgery so I most likely won't be painting and maybe not posting till next week. Just want to let you know ahead of time - accountability ya know? :D

You guys did such inspiring work on red peppers, that I ran in the kitchen and dug through everything in the fridge and came up with this stilllife. I painted for 30 minutes, mix of hard and soft pastels on canson paper. I painted from the live [?] stilllife and then took the pix later so you can see what I was drawing from and to share the photo with others - please feel free to help yourselves.

Here is the first 20 minutes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2003/3702-March_3_4.jpg

..and after another 10 minutes

Roni Anderson
03-04-2003, 06:24 PM
Well dh REALLY liked the Miracle Dog portrait...was one of the best presents he could get...I mean when you are 60 you have just about everything you really need right?? :rolleyes:

Someone suggested I sketch the birthday cake, but we had two sets of friends drop by to wish him Happy Birthday and they brought cakes too. Somehow, I just couldn't ask them all to wait until I sketched the cakes, so you'll have to trust me...they were good!

Thank you all for your help and comments.

Erinj - your colors are just georgous and your light, airy, open style is great. I especially like your bird and peppers pix. You have been pretty busy and it shows in your work with a wonderful sense of loose creativity.

BlackHorseD - great work on the wolf! :clap:

Such character in those cats Erin!

Wow DarkShades - you've really been working. Nice colors on the pinapple and grapefruit [I thought of you today when I baked my dh his pinapple upside down cake!

For some reason I can't find Barb's asparagas...was it in last week's thread I wonder?

I'll miss you guys for the next few days! Keep painting and sketching. I'll try to if I can squeeze it in :)

Oh yes Erinj - please feel free to use any photos that I share on this post. One of these days I need to sit down and put them in the WC forum for referece photos...one of these days...

Roni Anderson
03-04-2003, 06:41 PM
I put in about another 10 minutes for this:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2003/3702-March_3_3.jpg

But for some reason I seem to be having some trouble with the apple and orange. They just don't seem right...maybe like they are floating?? - here's a closeup:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2003/3702-March_3_1.jpg

Any suggestions?

I painted this 'live' but here is a photo of the stilllife. Please feel free to use it if you wish:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2003/3702-March_3_2.jpg

Dark_Shades
03-04-2003, 07:01 PM
Roni.. wishing you luck with your surgery .........

ohhh your still life is wonderful .... and the close up on the colours... excellent ... I dont think they appear floating .... only suggestion I might make is perhaps not end the red apple so abruptly... but perhaps get a hint of the colour going into the shadow ... perhaps the orange were it touches the yellow apple just needs a tad more colour to give a bit more depth .... just minor things..... excellent work Roni .. one to be really pleased with ... well done