PDA

View Full Version : I want to break my new pastels!

JamieWG
02-23-2003, 11:58 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2003/13766-help.gif

Can somebody please help me? I know this may seem like a stupid question. I'm new to pastels and there's so much I don't know. have a new set of Unison pastels....but the sticks are so large I can't use the sides. I really want to break off pieces! Is this a terrible thing to do? I just can't figure out how to use whole sticks to their best advantage. Do most of you break them?

Many thanks,
Jamie

Shari
02-23-2003, 12:19 PM
Jamie,

Here's what I find works for me: when I get a new set of pastels, I break off a smallish piece, about 1/2" usually, and put it in my box that I work from. I keep a separate box that is my working box and I keep the original pastels in their original boxes. When I get very low on the piece I broke off, then I replace it with another piece from the original box. When that gets low, if I love that color, I reorder that stick. Seems to work for me.

Shari

JamieWG
02-23-2003, 01:28 PM
Thank you, Shari. Sounds like a great idea. I guess that way you can also avoid having to cart your big sticks around with you, right? Or do you take those too?

I guess I should search the Hall of Fame....

Jamie

sundiver
02-23-2003, 03:28 PM
Pastels are meant to be broken. Some people automatically break them all as soon as they get them.

JamieWG
02-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
Pastels are meant to be broken. Some people automatically break them all as soon as they get them.

Whew! Well that makes me feel a whole lot better, Wendy! Now I just have to find a better organizational method for travel. Didn't quite see the right thing in the Hall of Fame. Somebody mentioned sorting by value. Was it Carly? Or Jackie? Hmmmm...

What do you do, Wendy?

Jamie

Shari
02-23-2003, 05:38 PM
Jamie,

I tried many kinds of traveling boxes, but settled on this one that has memory foam mounted to boards that insert over each side and close with clips and the whole thing closes for traveling. Here is a pic of the opened box that I work from. Hope this helps, I know when I started I loved the thread here about everyone's setup.

Shari

JamieWG
02-23-2003, 05:59 PM
Wow, Shari! Love that case! Where did you find it? Please tell. This looks like it could be The One.

And, gee, you have a really wicked case of Pastel Acquisition Syndrome, don't you? :evil: :D

Jamie

Shari
02-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Jamie,

I just got the info you wanted. The box is made by Heilman Designs and their phone number is 530-778-3080. Their website is heilmandesigns.com.

YES, I have a really bad case of PAS!!! I have to try everything. I lucked out and got the whole set of sennelier on Ebay for about 500 bucks a couple years ago and then I just added little by little. aswsale.com has a great price on great americans, which I like more than schmincke (believe it or not) and I found someone on ebay who sold unisons at about half the price, so if you shop around, you can get great deals. I almost never even use the rembrandts anymore, I like nupastels for the beginning of a painting. I will be in touch about the case.

By the way, you can see that I am pretty sloppy about where I put my pastels back, many of them are out of place; once in a while I just have to spend an evening re-organizing the box.

Shari

amanda
02-23-2003, 11:14 PM
I say go for it, be ruthless! Anything to get the effect you need.

sundiver
02-23-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by JamieWG B]
Whew! Well that makes me feel a whole lot better, Wendy! Now I just have to find a better organizational method for travel. Didn't quite see the right thing in the Hall of Fame. Somebody mentioned sorting by value. Was it Carly? Or Jackie? Hmmmm...
What do you do, Wendy?
Jamie [/B]

I don't have a good system either..just a lot of little boxes, sort of organized in color groups.

lorelou
02-24-2003, 01:00 AM
http://www.fineartstore.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=11479&idp=2&his=0|2&cart_id=6517028.2716

Jamie, Here is a link to a website that has one of those pastel boxes for much cheaper. I don't know anything about the quality though. For $59 it seems a steal compared to $170 or so.

jackiesimmonds
02-24-2003, 02:42 AM
Okay, have to ask, what is MEMORY FOAM?

lorelou
02-24-2003, 03:20 AM
Jackie,
This is off the subject posted but I know you will be back here and I have wanted to ask you this.

I just starting out playing with pastels I will not be using them heavily because I prefer oil painting. It does seems they would be easier to take on trips than oils. I have around 32 soft pastels. I am looking into Nupastel because I don't particularly like the amount of dust associated with soft pastels.

I am pretty ignorant about this,
So I was wondering if I could do just as well with just the harder kind and get satisfactory results or should I use soft ones too?

Is 96 pastels good enough to paint just about everything or will I feel lacking later on?

I really don't want to get more than I have to but then I want all the colors needed. (Nothing in excess)
Tell me your feelings on this.

Oh, everybody, I found a site where you can get the large set for $49

JamieWG
02-24-2003, 01:42 PM
Shari and Lorelou, thanks so much! I will look into both of these cases. I'm sure there is one on my horizon! Part of me is also wondering about the effectiveness of smaller foam-lined boxes that would fit inside my french easel drawer for plein air work. Anybody have ideas for that?

Amanda, I am ready to get ruthless! :evil: :D

Jamie

JamieWG
02-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Just spoke to fineartstore.com (Rochester Art Supply). They have received a new shipment of the boxes and already sold out half of them! (The web site says they're out of them, but they're not.) They have started including an extra piece of foam for a tighter fit too. It seems a bargain and the guy who works there likes this better than any of the other boxes they have. Thanks Lorelou! It should be sent out to me today. I'll let you all know what I think when it arrives.

Jamie

Shari
02-24-2003, 02:24 PM
The box at fineartstore looks great, glad you got it Jamie. I bought mine used from my teacher for $50 but new they are outrageously expensive so this one looks great.

Jackie, in case you read this, memory foam is foam that maintains its shape and springs back to life no matter how much it is smashed, basically, it rarely ever wears out. People have beds made out of it because it is supposed to be good for your back.

Glad you found a good case.

Shari