PDA

View Full Version : Printmaking

Bordelon
02-23-2003, 06:52 AM
I have now gotten to printmaking - I am trying every art form I possibly can!
I carved an initial in a linoleum block and it turned out quite well. When I printed it on rice paper it was fine, but when I attempted to put it on card stock it was a mess. Does linoleum not work well when trying to print on heavier paper?
Are there other blocks that work better on card stock?
Thanks.
Sandra

sassybird
02-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Hi asis, and welcome to the printmaking forum. Linoleum block printing turns out better on handmade Japanese paper for larger less detailed cuts. To achieve fine lines machine made papers, preferrably 100% rag or mostly rag. Some of the best are Stonehenge, Basingwer, Arches text wove, Maidstone, Rives light wove, and Opaline which is a parchment paper.

It depends on what kind of ink you are using also. If using oil based ink then a slick surface will make a mess. The water based relief print inks have become popular and print on more papers and card stocks. One thing about the waterbased lino inks is that they will bleed if you want to go in and handcolor with watercolors. They will also bleed when in a humid enviornment. The color is never as rich to my eye either. I believe they were first produced for two reasons: the search for less toxic printmaking methods, and for safe use by children.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :) and please post some of your work as you proceed in this medium. We are a friendly bunch :D

timelady
03-06-2003, 05:09 AM
The paper needs some absorbancy to take the ink well. Japanese papers are excellent for this. :) For heavier papers I used to use a spray bottle and lightly spray the surface and then blot it. I did some good prints on heavy Fabriano etching paper by doing this. If the card is shiney you might find that a light sanding with glass paper helps (a very fine sandpaper - any DIY store should have it, it's also good for removing errant ink on finished prints).

Basically, you might need more absorbancy (surface of card or wetting) and possibly more pressure too. I don't know of card stock that is acid-free so I wouldn't use it. (non acid-free will turn yellow with time, usually not much time. Catridge paper and newspaper is not acid-free for example.)

Tina.

Bordelon
03-19-2003, 06:19 AM
Thank you for your help. I found a way to put lino prints on cards. Print it on rice paper and then glue it to the card. What do you think?
Sandra

timelady
03-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Sounds good to me. :) In fact, I think this is rather common practice with prints on delicate paper. Just reading an old auction catalog (weird how these things happen at the same time, eh?) and found this:

Under paper types:
Chine-A thin, very fine paper. Because of its inherent fragility, chine of often laid on sturdier paper for support. The combination is known as chine applique.

And under the condition list:
Laid down: when a print has been pasted to another surface, usually paper or card.

This is from a Phillips Auctioneers 20th Century art auction catalog so I take that as a good source. :) (by the way, their whole list of printmaking terms is one of the best I've seen, might type it in later for the forum)

Tina.

Bordelon
03-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Thanks Tina. I plan to try to get more information on "chine applique."
Sandra