PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted Scene File

jinn
02-22-2003, 03:14 PM
I have just spent five days building a really complex scene. It currently has 295 objects and 2,085,925 polygons. The saved .br5 file is 209 megs.

And it's my only copy.

And it's corrupt.

Bryce sometimes opens it successfully.

It will sometimes allow me to do something after opening it. Like, select an object. But then it crashes.

The rest of the time, I'm totally screwed, because it crashes immediately. I've tried saving it.. it crashes on save. I've tried copying all the objects to a different scene -- it crashes then too. One of my objects has something wrong with it.. ANd I don't know how to tell which one.

I can't save it as a different file, because it crashes then too.

I have spent this morning screaming and crying and now I'm past that. This is currently the only copy I have of this scene -- and I'm loathe to slowly put those 295 objects back into a new scene.

Please, does ANYONE know anything I can do to fix the problem? Or even what the problem is?

Thanks

KweeChaLa
02-23-2003, 08:07 PM
How much RAM do you have on your computer? Each one of those objects will be loaded into memory and then executed so you can sometimes end up with double the image size in RAM while it is executing (another reason I prefer POV-Ray to Bryce). From what you are saying here it could be in the order of 400 megs of RAM taken with the image. Add to that the overhead of the program and the rest of your system resources and you could be simply running your machine out of RAM.

The biggest I think I have tried to render in POV-Ray was about 600 objects (rocks on a beach mostly) but POV-Ray handles the objects differently, loading the base equations into memory and calling the polygons only while executing the rendering. Hence it ran fine on a 64 meg machine (albeit rather slowly in 1024x768).

Mark

crazy_cat
02-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Hey Jinn. Sorry I can't really help but I wanted to post so this would bump to the top and hopefully someone can help you. I have been there with corrupted PSD files and it isn't fun!:cat:

jinn
02-24-2003, 01:48 PM
512 megs -- I'm hoping for a second stick for my birthday from my family. We'll see. :)

The problem, as it turns out, actually was a corrupted object. When I was working in the tree lab actually began behaving wierdly, and as as side effect, one or more of the trees became corrupt objects somehow.

It took some work, but I managed to get rid of them, and save the file without the trees, and then put them back in. It crashed one other time, so I'm betting that one of the objects still has some lingering issues, but there's nothing I can do about it at this point -- it'll have to stay as it is. I've managed to get to a point with it where I can say "Okay, it's not perfect, but it's as done as it's goign to get." I'll do some final touchups in photoshop and leave it as it is.

Thanks for the help, you two. :)

KweeChaLa
02-24-2003, 02:24 PM
By the way, what Operating System are you using? Win98 doesnt optimize the use of your RAM as well as Win 2K or XP (*gag* on the latter)

Mark

jinn
02-24-2003, 04:46 PM
XP.

On a 1.7ghz machine with 512 megs of ram, and a geforce4 (the togo version for laptops). I have a mega suped up laptop designed for this kind of use.