PDA

View Full Version : Framing Question

Artaholic
02-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Need help with framing, do you put something between the painting and the mat? I know you need at least 1/2 inch between the mat and glass . Can you just use cardboard ? Gerry:rolleyes:

bnoonan
02-22-2003, 06:49 PM
HI Gerry,

When I frame my pastels or have them framed, I put foam core on the inside of the mat and 1/2 inch away from the opening. that allows the dust to settle away from the mat. I don't think the foam core is 1/2 thick however and I've never tried cardboard.

Barb

jackiesimmonds
02-23-2003, 03:30 AM
If you give you pic a darn good bash on the back to dislodge loose particles, and the lightest of fix sprays, just a quick burst, you don't need spacers - unless you plan to throw yur picture around after it is framed.

I have framed LOADS of pics, just using a double mount (mat to you) and then the glass. Only rarely do I get dust dropping from the picture, and then it seems to happen only when it is a picture I have overworked somewhat, and used many layers of pastel.

You can use tiny spacers between the pic and the closest mat, but beware - if the spacer is too wide, you get a shadow cast on your picture, depending on the position of the light source hitting the pic when it is on the wall - if the light is from above, you get a shdow along the top of your picture. If the light comes from, say, a window to the left, then you get a shadow along one side of your picture, to the left. This is why I no longer use spacers, I find that shadow irritating, no matter how small it is.

Each to his own. There are no rules.

Jackie

Artaholic
02-23-2003, 02:19 PM
Barb and Jackie , I apologize for nto getting back with a thank you I appreciate your input. I had to be away for a family emergency and have not been quite with it. The lady who gave us the advice has to mail a lot of her work and does not use fixitives so she is probably extra cautious.
Gerry;)