PDA

View Full Version : The Hike

Dcam
02-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Took the jeep and the digital camera with me to Van Campens Glen; One of the most beautiful trails and falls in New Jersey. I wanted to capture the snow that still rests on the rocks and trails. (I love snow scenes). My plan was to take tons of shots for future paintings. I parked in the trail parking lot, and started the long hike to the falls. The snow was still pretty deep in spite of the couple of days of thaw we've had. Just halfway there, I was getting tired and had to stop for breath. The snow was around 6 inches deep and the trail was not cleared. Finally after a good hike, I arrived at the lovely little falls and moss/snow covered rocks. The light was coming through the trees in beautiful cascades upon the rocks and snow with shimmering water moving in the streams. I stopped and raised the camera to shoot. My Sony digital lit up and informed me: NO MEMORY STICK!!! NO MEMORY STICK!!. the precious sticks were at home. Be prepared my friends, be prepared. At least I got some good exercise.
:o Cheers, Derek

allydoodle
02-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Oh the best laid plans of mice and men.......

Doncha just hate it when that happens! I've gone to sketch night at my art club with no paper.......... nothin, nada, zilch, zero, of course friends had paper, but nothing to lean on, as my paper is attached to my board, which was all at home...... They had their boards though.........

Yikes! I hope you enjoyed the hike, maybe you have a good memory and can paint from that? (I know I can't, that's for sure :lol: ). You know, I'll just bet there will be a better day for pictures, and you will get some pretty fantastic shots, things happen for a reason, I know they do. Don't feel too bad Derek, not only have I forgotten my paper on sketch night, I have gone out to take photos with my camera just like you did, only to discover that the battery wasn't charged, so no photos that day either........ My guess is you're in good company!

water girl
02-18-2011, 06:52 PM
You are not alone! We have all experienced dead batteries and the like. I hope you have the opportunity to do it again, but....Derek.....put the memory sticks in your pocket!!!!! After all that exercise I hope that you drowned your sorrows in a cup of hot chocolate and piece of pie.

chewie
02-19-2011, 12:03 AM
i am so happy i am not alone!

Colorix
02-19-2011, 06:14 AM
Derek, the silver lining (except a good hike in beautiful surroundings) is that you'll never ever forget the memory sticks in the future. You'll have an empty battery, instead... how I missed to get shots from the most glorious autumn day in decades. The day after was pretty good, though.

Dcam
02-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the sympathy you guys. Funny thing is, I had made sure the night before, that the battery was fully charged.

Oh Well,http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2011/183894-ACAMVAN.jpg

I did enjoy that large brandy when I got home.

Here is shot of the Glen with wife and son in the summer.

Deborah Secor
02-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Well now, Derek...just add snow to that pic! :lol:

bluefish
02-19-2011, 11:27 AM
add some red and yellow leaves and it's a 'fall scene!'

add some white and pink flowers on the trees and you have a 'spring scene'

LOL! - beats trumping through the snow! - LOL! have a great day, glad we could all help! LOL!

'blue....' :wave:

Dcam
02-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Great ideas Deborah and Blue: So creative.....hey are you guys artists???

:lol:

robertsloan2
02-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Derek, that's so frustrating. Last week I got to visit a local artist, one of my daughter's horse shoeing clients. Her house is incredible, she has about four paintable views right from her porch. I settled down and sketched.

Then realized I had left my phone, with its camera, at home. No photos to use with the sketches. Must remember to bring the phone with next time, or buy batteries for the camera. I've got rechargeables but they're frustrating because if I don't charge them immediately before using them, they run out again before I can bring them along.

bnoonan
02-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Derek - we have all done this. I always try to put a positive spin on it... it is just making sure when the even better opportunity presents itself (it's coming my friend), you will definitely have all your supplies.

Barb

rugman
02-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Funny. Glad to know Im not the only one. Once I made sure batteries were charged, memory card installed............only to forget the camera itself. If nothing else, this could be your excuse to make another trip :)

Dcam
02-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Robert, Barb, Ron.......is it our age or our IQ????

:( :lol:
What's my name again? Oh Yeah.....
Robert Redford

Deborah Secor
02-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Um, worst story of this kind for us: the couple that stood up for us on the day we were married forgot to put FILM in the camera... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2011/23609-smacking_head.jpg :lol:

(You all remember film, don't you?)

Potoma
02-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Has happened to me many times, usually at the unreproducible school concert with my son performing. Hard to enjoy the event while you're fuming, but I tried.

I got to where I'd use a little plastic card case to leave an extra one in my purse. I had a small demo card and I knew I could get a half dozen pics on that at least.

Donna T
02-19-2011, 07:20 PM
I hope it's an age thing and not necessarily an indication of our IQ! I'll bet our artist's brains get so excited about the prospect of a good scene for painting that we skip over the practical stuff like cameras, batteries, gas in the car ... Hang in there, Derek. That scene looks like it's just begging you to paint it!

Dcam
02-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Deborah.....wo! sad story.
Potoma: I have tons of concert film of my son playing trumpet. I'll Loan you some. My wife always reminds me. It is when I am on my own that I get into trouble.:lol:
Donna: I am sure to back there soon with the camera, memory sticks, full battery......wait, did you say gas in the car???? Call triple A.

:) Derek

robertsloan2
02-20-2011, 09:33 AM
I've consulted my cat on that question of Age or IQ, Derek. He's the font of all wisdom as well as the source of Cat Hairs of Inspiration. It's neither age or IQ. It's the refined artistic sensibility we develop learning so much about how to see that we get distracted from mundane concerns.

We forget the car keys because we're studying that interesting abstract brass shape flickering with light. We do well with cats because they're not shy about reminding us of the important things in life, like feeding them, changing the litter pan and giving them attention.

Deborah, oh yes, I remember Film. Why although I owned three cameras before I got a digital one, I never had any pictures of anything or anyone that mattered to me or any of the beautiful landscapes I ever visited. Either I didn't get film or I got film, took the pictures, didn't get it developed and a year later a cat exposed it.

Once, I brought film, took pictures, got them developed, remembered to pick them up, enjoyed the pictures and lost them within a year along with a lot of other important paper things. I had trouble sorting paper, eventually whole boxes of the stuff would get tossed and inevitably any pictures I managed to take and get developed would be in that box.

Fortunately all the candid pictures of me taken by friends without my consent were lost with it too. I look horrible in any photos I didn't pose for with strong directional light. Once I went digital, I could actually manage to get photos sometimes and with planning take decent avatar photos.

I'm still practicing on that one. My skin color is a light olive that looks good in real life but it's outside the gamut range of any film or digital camera. So maybe next time I go for an avatar I'll desaturate it to look good. Or at least more like me!

I'm seriously considering a planned self portrait when I sell a book if they want me to put in an author photo and won't let me hold up my cat in front of my face.

Potoma
02-20-2011, 11:46 AM
My cats are real camera hogs. Sheesh. I have photos of little else.

Ruthie57
02-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Well er, thingy, looks like you're in good company. I've been out and wished I had the camera with me but that's not quite the same.
Having forgotten things for the art group a few times one day I did a check list....easel, board, paper, pastels, kitchen towel, wet wipes etc. I wanted to make sure I had everything as I'd got this great photo I was itching to paint from. When I got there I realised I'd forgotten.....the photo!

DAK723
02-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Well, after these type of things happen a few times, you end up with 2 extra memory cards and an extra battery in the camera bag at all times, like me!

Don

Dcam
02-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Brenda57: How could you forget your photo?...Shame!!!!

Robert; Does your cat understand left brain-right brain?

Don: I have 5 memory sticks....all in my computer drawer sadly.

:( Derek

PETE K
02-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Don't feel bad Derek, I went out one day took about 130 pictures in around 6 or 7 hr's. I shut my camera off a few min's later saw another area to take a few pic's and my camera wipped out everything I took.

Dcam
02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Wow; Pete.....not cool. My camera does not do that when you shut it off. Lucky, I guess.
Derek

Ruthie57
02-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Come to think of it, my camera has done that a couple of times. First was in a storm and I thought it may have been something to do with electrical activity. but the second time there was no storm....except when I realised what had happened!

PETE K
02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Derek, I wat told my card had to much memery on it. I changed to card for a 2 Gig card and it worked fine after.

Colorix
02-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Instead of 'memory' stick, it is a 'forget it' stick... ;-)

Nansketch
02-21-2011, 08:31 PM
So disappointing -- no doubt you will get another chance -- this winter seems to be here for awhile yet.

And another suggestion if the snow gets any deeper -- snow shoes -- you won't sink as deep in the snow

Nancy