PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Snow (Yellow Lab) FINISHED

FoggyMountain
02-16-2011, 09:53 PM
This is an 8x10 I'm working on. It is based on a RIL photo by spocktari (thank you). He's only had his base layer scratching done. I'll be adding background also. Constructive criticism welcome!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2011/216568-LK311m.jpg

artofnature
02-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Looking great so far Lynn. Will be watching with interest

lorna12
02-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Yes, it's looking very good so far, lynn!

Harry Seymour
02-17-2011, 07:14 AM
That is a great pose and you are off to a good start.

Rodman
02-17-2011, 07:32 AM
The under scratching looks right on the mark...

GoldenArt
02-17-2011, 07:44 AM
This is going to be great! Love the start. I will have to say I am glad your title is not turned around, Yellow Snow (Fresh Lab). I know.. I'm sorry. Rick

SueR
02-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Looks like you're off to a great start! Looking forward to seeing the progression :)

FoggyMountain
02-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks Leslie; I'm always inspired by your pieces.

Thank you Lorna; I'm trying to incorporate your teachings, but I'm a tough nut to crack.

Thanks Harry; the pose is what drew me to the picture also; I've seen it many times by my own dog.

Rod, thanks for your comment. I HAVE learned that you must do layer upon layer of scratching for the depth (thanks to Lorna). I've since added another full layer of scratching and have now added a third tonal layer.

Rick, I had to smile at that comment - note to self: make sure if color is added that NO yellow gets in snow!

Thank you Sue for looking in.

After seeing Harold's background on his new deer board (Never Look Back), I've decided to do a similar background, although I'm not able to achieve his fabulous results, but I've got it blocked in. I'll post a photo tonight of progress. I'm leaning towards black and white for this one unless you all feel I should go with color. Thoughts?

birdlover
02-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Looks good.

PatrickHedges
02-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Excellent start if that's just the base layer :thumbsup:
After seeing Harold's background on his new deer board (Never Look Back), I've decided to do a similar background, although I'm not able to achieve his fabulous results, but I've got it blocked in. I'll post a photo tonight of progress. I'm leaning towards black and white for this one unless you all feel I should go with color. Thoughts?
Oh, just photoshop Harold's actual background in :lol:

:eek: Did I say that?? :eek:

:lol: :lol:

Seriously, he is the best at those things so he's great to learn from and try to emulate

FoggyMountain
02-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Don't I wish Patrick!

Well I had a lot of time today to work on this, so got further than I thought I would. Please send your thoughts on what may not look right and thank you for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2011/216568-LK312m.jpg

artofnature
02-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Lynn, it's looking fabulous. You've really nailed that background. Love the shadow under the dog. Gives it lots of depth. i think overall, he just needs lightening up a bit so that you don't push him into the background. I'm no expert and others might not agree, so wait until you get some more replies.

But gee it's looking great. Wish I could do backgrounds like that! Winner!!!!

FoggyMountain
02-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks Lesley. Every time I added more snow to the background, the dog got darker. Now I'm afraid I won't be able to get the light parts any lighter and if I lighten the darker areas, it will begin to look too close to the same tone. Any advice?

lorna12
02-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Just my 2 cents, but I think I would put a light ink wash over all the snow and lighten the dog. If you really look at snow it is rarely pure white...if you put a wash over it, you can go back after and put in little bit lighter hilights here and there and it won't detract from the dog.

Also... you might want to put a wash over the bright white branches...that will put them behind him Take your scratches on the tree and branches right down to the dog so he doesn't appear to be outlined...it will also help to pop him forward when you lighten him.

You're doing a terrific job of this whole piece!:thumbsup:

artofnature
02-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Spot on Lorna! Lynn, it's nearly there. Just follow what Lorna said and it's nailed.

XQB
02-18-2011, 06:52 PM
We've all learned that Lorna is chief among the all-wise, and this time is no exception! Listen to Lorna and all will be wonderful. Seriously.

FoggyMountain
02-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Thank you Lesley and Lorna. I've done what Leslie suggested and lightened the dog (below). When I looked at both images side by side, what a difference it made (thank you Lesley). I see that Lorna also mentioned that, but I will do the other part of her suggestion and light wash over the snow next. Gone away all weekend and won't be able to do it until next week, darn, unless I can find some time tonight. Thanks Matthew for checking in. Yes, I'm very appreciative of everyone's great advice - I just need to be able to make it happen and will certainly give it a try. Thank you all VERY much for all your helpful comments.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/216568-LK313m.jpg

FoggyMountain
02-18-2011, 08:20 PM
And I'll fix the branches/tree to go behind the dog too Lorna; thank you for that piece of advice - that is important.

PatrickHedges
02-18-2011, 09:50 PM
This exactly what I talked about in Gail's stratchboard forum praise thread. Here people give advice and the artist takes it and acts on it and now it looks fantastic. Great work so far Lynn

artofnature
02-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Yay Lynn. Looking great.

You may want to do a few very light ink washes back onto the dog in his shadows on his leg under his chin, tummy etc. You had some nice shadows previously but lost them a bit when you lightened him. So just go back and have a look at where you had those slightly darker areas before and compare it with what it is like now.

It's heading in the right direction alright.:clap:

Just do those little tweaks Lorna talked about and it's a doggone gorgeous project.

FoggyMountain
02-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Here is an update. I've extended the tree lines right up to the dog and put a wash over the background and the foreground snow, then added tone shadows to the dog. I really like it so much more now. The scan doesn't show some of the subtle shading and I see a couple things in the scan I want to correct (face highlights are a bit bright and some of the body shadows needs the shapes readjusted). Any other suggestions? Thank you all VERY much for your help - you've made this piece so much better than I thought it could be.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2011/216568-LK314m.jpg

artofnature
02-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Oh so much depth here now Lynn. Multi dimentional. It's beautiful!!!! I love this!!

lorna12
02-21-2011, 11:12 PM
:clap::clap: Looks very 3D...well done!

Harry Seymour
02-22-2011, 09:11 AM
You've done a great job with this.

Crias
02-22-2011, 10:32 AM
wonderful job taking the advice to make this piece great! Well done!

VENKAT
02-22-2011, 12:00 PM
A very well executed work
Venkat

birdhs
02-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Animals are almost as hard to capture as friends. this is just striking, I can feel the tension in the muscles, can hear the crisp scratch of the snow crust.

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eye. Greg

Garbonzo
02-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Lynn, this is great. You've done a wonderful. You've captured some real depth in your background. If I might offer one small thought for you to consider. I think that if some of the snow clumps were spread out into larger clumps and not so uniform in their appearance it would help to create a more realistic visual effect. If its too late perhaps some one will find this useful.
I've had some other stuff on my plate lately so I haven't been around much. I really appreciate the very kind remarks in this thread.

PatrickHedges
02-22-2011, 05:48 PM
This is excellent. You've really captured a great sense of anticipation. Lovely work. (Also, it occurred to me that you could have hidden your signature in the little grasses on the snowline to the right of the dog's back leg)

GoldenArt
02-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Very nice work indeed. Rick

FoggyMountain
02-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Thank you Lesley, Lorna, Harry, Cathy, Venkat, Greg, Harold, Patrick and Rick for your kind words. They are greatly appreciated. Harold, I am thrilled that you checked in and made the comment about repetitive shapes in the snow clumps. I will definitely attempt to fix that - thank you so much. Thanks also to Patrick - I should try to hide my signature more than I do.

Diana Lee
02-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Makes me cold! You have really captured a character here.:lol:

Diana

Willowsee
02-23-2011, 10:04 PM
It's looking lovely, nice work :)

FoggyMountain
02-24-2011, 09:03 PM
I worked with the background some more trying to make more of the clumps irregular and different. I also extended the pine tree to the left of the main tree trunk. I think he's done now....unless something sticks out. Thank you all for the wonderful tips/help.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2011/216568-LK320m.jpg

artofnature
02-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Oh yes Lynn. it is DONE and DUSTED and a beautiful work of art. Clap! Clap!

lorna12
02-25-2011, 03:48 AM
Frame it and hang it...great job!:clap:

XQB
02-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Wonderful results, Lynn. One you should definitely be proud of. My fiancee is a Lab nut (her name is Lynn as well), and she's asking me every day how this is coming. As she's not the biggest fan of animal art, that's pretty high praise.

Buggin3
02-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Beautiful job, Lynn. This final version is outstanding!!

FoggyMountain
02-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Matthew, you and your fiancee made my day; thank you.

Thank you Brett. I appreciate it very much.

MuttHut
02-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Nice work Lynn, I agree with Lorna frame it and hang it.

Wendy

PatrickHedges
02-27-2011, 11:37 PM
It's ended up as a lovely portrait

Harry Seymour
02-28-2011, 07:43 AM
You've done a first rate job on this.

Rodman
02-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Lynn....fantastic finish!....