PDA

View Full Version : Little Green Apple

Diana Lee
02-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Thought I would take a break and do a small fun piece. I realized part of my problem has been the self imposed pressure to out do my last piece. Or thinking in terms of comercial value. I went for fun!
This is on an 8x8 board and there will be color, but just one, green. This is from a great photo from Chia in the RIL.

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2011/5-1.jpg

Crias
02-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Diana I'll be watching.

I am in the same rutt as you I think... not really unhappy with my work, but just not really happy either... feeling like it is not improving and yet feeling like I have to push as I have to get work ready for the next set of shows/deadlines I have coming up... and with all the trips I am taking I will be gone a lot this year so this month is my time to get going... but having a hard time finding the motivation. Blah :(

Harry Seymour
02-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Diana--this is a great start and certainly hope you fine joy in the doing. Sometimes when I'm having those thoughts--why and what I'm I doing all this for. I remind myself that we as artist are among a very few who can say they love their work.

Diana Lee
02-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Yea Cathy, that's kinda it. I have ARTrails coming up in 6 months and I need a new body of work for it. I have been contacted by one gallery and applied to another (and it looks promising for both) and so need more work for them as well. It's not like it was when I was just playing. I feel like a kid that has to grow up.:lol:
I think that's why I decided to just play this time.

Harry, we must have been posting at the same time so I came back to edit a comment in. Thank you for the supportive thoughts.:heart: You are right! Besides every aspect of our lives has peaks and valleys, our art is no exception.

Diana

birdlover
02-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Oh looks interesting all ready. Can't wait.

Diana Lee
02-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Here is the latest scan, just plugging away.

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2011/5-2.jpg

aaces
02-16-2011, 05:42 PM
I've found that I too have to readjust my thinking on the pieces that I'm working on...I worry too much if someone would want to buy a piece instead of...That would be FUN to do! It makes a HUGE HUGE difference.
I'm glad you rediscovered your joy and are having fun chasing it across the board again! :D

You keep plugging away Diana!!!!!!!
I can't wait to see ya add that color :thumbsup::D

artbygail
02-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Diana,
Love the ribbon and the fine delicate fringe you have along the edges. I see the outline of the apple now...soooooo looking forward to watch how you scratch that up. Have fun.
Gail

lorna12
02-16-2011, 06:57 PM
I love all the twists and turns of the fabric...looking great already!

I hear you about pushing yourself...I've been feeling the same way. I'm glad you're playing now and that's what I am going to do, too!:D

artofnature
02-16-2011, 08:06 PM
There must be some horrible scratchboard artists disease going around it at the mo. I think I have caught it too. Would rather be doing anything but scratching at the mo. Feel like I am forcing myself and I don't even have deadlines. Sometimes I think the weather has a lot to do with it.

Anyway, Diana, I am loving the textures already in this and can't wait to see you add the colour. Will you be using inks or pencil?

Chia
02-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Hi Diana, thanks so much for giving me the heads-up on this project. I am thrilled you are finding inspiration from my reference pic! I am not a scratchboard artist myself, but can certainly appreciate the hard work and perseverance that goes into it. Your work is astonishingly good and I look forward to seeing the progress on this!

MJGresko
02-16-2011, 09:13 PM
I think jumping back and forth between pastels and scratchboard keeps things interesting for me. When I get tired of one I switch to the other.

PatrickHedges
02-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Commissions stall me. I'm ok if I do what I totally want to do, but as soon as someone commissions me, even if it's a good subject, I seem to come up against a brick wall. Expectation and all that...

Watching with interest Diana :)

FoggyMountain
02-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Well, it sure looks fun already. Can't wait to see more. My problem is determining WHAT to scratch. Good luck with the galleries.

Rodman
02-17-2011, 08:26 AM
It went without saying that: this will be super cool....so I didn't say it.

That's the trick huh? Keeping our minds in that place we do art.... the artist within couldn't care less about selling art....it just wants to be a artist... we are forced to produce pieces that will support our need to be an artist, by the money system. Few things in life have given me.more.joy that to give away a piece of art... I wish I could do art without the possibility of commercial gain ever slipping into the studio....image the art without any of those outside influences ..... and the art being completely guided by the love of creating ..

GoldenArt
02-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Hard to top that comment Rodman. Diana, This is going to be a great one. Love the flow of the fabric already. Have fun with it. Rick

SueR
02-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Such a great little piece...have fun and I know you will create a masterpiece...you always do!

birdhs
02-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Looking forward to this, like it so far.

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eye. Greg

Diana Lee
02-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Aw, thanks Allan. Good to know I am not the only one that gets caught in that trap.:thumbsup:
Thanks Gail, but not a ribbon, though I can see where you would get that idea from what I had posted. Hmmmmmm? That might not be such a bad idea.:D
Lorna, good to hear you want to play now, too! Always fun to have a playmate!!:lol:
Lesley, you know, I think you may have something there. The weather here is dark and dismal. I have a lake forming in my front yard.:eek:
Coralie, I'm glad you checked in. Thank you for the great image!:wave:
Marcia, I don't think I will ever tire of scratchboard. However there are certain effects I get with oil painting I wish I could reproduce with scratchboard. Maybe I will work on that.:wink2:
Patrick, I hear ya. It helps to have some control over the project. If I don't like the picture that is chosen for a commission I won't do it. I don't like the thought of just being someone's hired hands, to just duplicate an image they like. I like having creative freedom. However, I still get nervous and I am sure it is mostly because of the expectations you mentioned.:wink2:
Thank you Lynn! I have been collecting images to use for years and I still, occasionally, don't know what I want to do.:lol:
Keeping our minds in that place we do art.... the artist within couldn't care less about selling art....it just wants to be a artist...
Very well put, Rod-man!!
Thanks Rick! I AM having fun!!!
Aw, thanks Sue!:o :heart:
Thank you Greg!!:wave:

Diana

Here is the latest scans...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2011/5-3.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2011/5-4.jpg

theBoardLady
02-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Diana, This is moving along just beautifully. :clap: Can't wait to see the finished product.

Pantherinae
02-17-2011, 02:57 PM
I really like this Diana, the texture you've rendered for the fabric is so convincing.

Amy

FoggyMountain
02-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Oh my gosh, this is amazing....

FoggyMountain
02-17-2011, 03:19 PM
What are you coloring with Diana?

pamelalbd
02-17-2011, 04:09 PM
I just love this piece Diana! You lit a fire of inspiration under my a** as well...I have that same bug that seems to be going around, I'm not liking how the current board is going so have been cleaning closets of all things! ummm avoidance do you think?! Great Board!

Harry Seymour
02-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Damn! That's So Good.

Bertoni
02-17-2011, 06:43 PM
OMG
Diana: This is fantastic!:clap: :clap: :clap:

artofnature
02-17-2011, 07:18 PM
It doesn't get much better than this. That apple is looking very edible already and I know you've still got work to do on it.

GoldenArt
02-17-2011, 10:30 PM
I'll tell you something missy, Those folds in that material are as good as it gets!!! I think your mojo is back in spades. Beautiful work Diana.

VENKAT
02-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Commendable work on the texture and folds of the fabric . Waiting to see the coloring of the fruit.
Venkat

hectorstudio
02-18-2011, 02:30 AM
Beautiful. You have an amazing technique and you get wonderful results. This is really lovely.

MuttHut
02-18-2011, 03:48 AM
Diana: Stunning pic, I am always in awe of your work, you and Lorna just have such a nack for fabric.

Wendy

aaces
02-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Well I was WAY off....I thought you were gonna go with a red on the cloth.
That's what I get for thinkin! :lol:
You keep havin fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do I need to say I'm Lovin' it? If I do I will......
but I think ya already know.....
Ya do know....
don't ya?
Well I do....Love it......yep....I do

In case ya didn't know after all :D

Diana Lee
02-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Thank you Diane!
Thanks Amy!
Thank you Lynn! Mostly I am using Ampersand ink, but touching it up a bit with Prisma color pencils.
Thanks Pamela! Yikes, cleaning the closet!! You must have it bad! Then again, maybe your closets don't look like mine.
Thank you Harry!
Thanks Bert! Wow, so good to hear from you.
Thanks Lesley!
Thank you Rick! Yea, this one feels good to work.
Thanks VENKAT! Coloring the apple was a bit more tricky than I anticipated.
Thank you Hector!
Thanks Wendy! You put me in good company!
Thank you Allan! Made me smile!

Here is the latest scan with some close ups. I cleared the apple a lot more befor coloring, but I didn't scan it.
My close ups always look so sloppy to me. But keep in mind the entire board is 8x8 so these close ups are extremely CLOSE UP!! I mean, much bigger than life!!

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/5-5.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/5-5_side_fold.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/5-5_top_fold.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/5-apple.jpg

birdlover
02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Using a scapel? What color green is that from Ampersand? Makes me want to eat that apple.

Diana Lee
02-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks Angela! Using a scalpel on the darker parts of the apple and a fiberglass brush on the lighter parts, (but still leaving some texture.) I mixed the green from Ampersands green, yellow, red, and sepia.

Diana

hectorstudio
02-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Diana, I find close-ups of any of my pieces sloppy as well... it's like "oooh, it doesn't look that good when you look at it this close!" However, the same can be said for pretty much any artwork (except photography).

I absolutely love what you've achieved with the texture and lighting on the fabric. Amazing.

Rodman
02-18-2011, 01:57 PM
My eye smells a apple...... kick @ close ups..

Harry Seymour
02-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Oh my so nice. I keep revisiting this for lessons is technique. This is great on so many levels.

FoggyMountain
02-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Holy cow; this is fantastic. You are such an inspiration to us all.

PawClaw
02-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Diana,

This is amazing.

Judy

lorna12
02-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Beautiful work as always, Diana! I'm with Allan...I thought you'd go red.:D

PatrickHedges
02-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Your "sloppy" closeups still look like what they are supposed to be!! Not sloppy at all!

VENKAT
02-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Very nice close-ups. The coloring makes the apple look fresh and glowing .
Venkat

Eilymcc
02-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Beautifully eye catching!

artofnature
02-19-2011, 02:40 AM
Gosh, I still look at your closeups Diana and wonder how you do it. The apple is so fresh looking.

annamelia
02-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Awesome work as always Diana. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Diana Lee
02-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks Hector! You make a good point about close ups. I will try to remember that in the future and not be so hard on myself.
Oh Rodman, you do crack me up! I love your compliments!
Thanks Harry! One of these days we will have to attend one of the workshops together so we can watch each each other work.
Thanks Lynn!
Thank you Judy!
Thanks Lorna! Actually I have a plan, (but don't hold me to it), I thought it might be fun to do a monochromatic series. Next an orange with orange print fabric and so on.
Aw, thanks Patrick!
Thank you VENKAT!
Thanks Eilis!
Thank you Lesley!
Thanks Judy!

Here are a few images. The first one is the way it looks now. My sweet husband likes it this way. The second one is a little different on the bottom, I dinked with it on the computer. I need some opinions here. Let me know what you think, please.

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2011/5-6_before.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2011/5-6_after.jpg

Harry Seymour
02-19-2011, 01:10 PM
This is absolutely magnificent. Both versions are terrific but I find the second has more subtle shadowing beneath the apple and thus seem more true. But, the difference is very subtle, and thus, hardly worth noting.

aaces
02-19-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm with your Hubby....the differences are small...but I like the first one better. It's brighter.
Awesome board. It all looks so real!
So maybe we'll see a plum, on a plum themed BG?
That'd be Plum Awesome :D

Diane Cutter
02-19-2011, 02:43 PM
What gorgeous work, Diana... I prefer the first also... but the difference is so small that either is wonderful.

Diane

Rodman
02-19-2011, 04:46 PM
I guess I prefer the top...no Biggie tho.

lorna12
02-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Though the difference is extremely subtle, I do see why you did it... I do like the bottom one. (just had to be different.:wink2::D)

PatrickHedges
02-19-2011, 07:36 PM
No idea which one. Both brilliant!!

Crias
02-19-2011, 08:47 PM
crunch, crunch... this piece is all around delicious!