PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy Corner Feb 14th - 20th

PatrickHedges
02-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Well, did some gardening and blew my back out. I can hardly stand let alone scratch. In fact I can hardly even scratch my own back. It's been like this for the last three days with me trying to work but failing miserably. Aaargh!! Frustrating. Anyone else ever have back problems?

aaces
02-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I feel for ya Patrick!
I blew out my C6-C7 disk and had to have a spinal fusion. Good news from that happening was, that's when I took up scratchin. I couldn't do anything else. I was off from work for 2 and a half months.
Rest up...Ibuprofen should be your BEST friend right now....and rest.
I wish you a speedy recovery Buddy. Back pain is the worst
Did I mention IBUPROFEN?!?!? If not....IBUPROFEN! If you can get some Alieve, it worked wonders for me.

Rodman
02-15-2011, 08:31 PM
ouch patrick.....that doesnt sound like any kind of fun... Oh and Patrick....Aces didnt mention HOW he fused those disk....a steady diet of Captain Morgan...

aaces
02-15-2011, 09:08 PM
:D It helped :D

lorna12
02-16-2011, 02:28 AM
I feel for you Patrick...hope it heals fast. Take Allan's advice...Ibuprofen and Captain Morgan sounds great to me.:lol:

artofnature
02-16-2011, 03:55 AM
When I had back problems in the past, the doc told me not to sit too much as this exacerbates the problem. Try sitting a bit and then walking around if you can. Take some medication and get some rest Patrick. Hope you make a really speedy recovery.

Harry Seymour
02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Patrick--sorry to hear about your discomfort. I wish you a speedy recovery and do take the ibuprofen unless you have high blood pressure like me --in which case it would tylenol.

Crias
02-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Hey Patrick... you shouldn't do that... it hurts!

All kidding aside I hope you mend quickly. Back pain can be a real.... well... PAIN! Hope you are feeling better sooner rather than later!

WildVisions
02-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Patrick, ouch! That sounds awful and I hope you heal soon. I tend to get back/shoulder cramps when I paint or work at the computer for too long. I also tend to pull muscles when lifting things or twisting, but that generally sorts itself out within a day or two. Hopefully your injury isn't too serious and will resolve itself soon.

FoggyMountain
02-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Hope you feel better very soon. I haven't had back trouble yet, but it sure gets to my shoulders. Take care of it. I know you're missing scratching.

Snuzin Susan
02-17-2011, 01:29 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Patrick! Feel better soon!

I'm sorry I've been gone so much recently. I'm in a production of The Vagina Monologues this weekend on campus so its been practice practice practice. On top of that one of my rats, Callisto, developed pneumonia on Friday so I've been trying to nurse her back to health. Its been touch and go. Somedays she's doing better, others not so much. She's so young, so I feel terribly.

-Susan

artofnature
02-17-2011, 01:50 AM
Geez Susan, I hope your little rat gets better soon. xx

ARTMUTT
02-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Ouch Patrick that is not fun!! Feel better soon!!

theBoardLady
02-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Patrick, I hope the healing process is going smoothly for you. Get well...

objectivistartist
02-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Maybe this will perk ye up - "Quiet Moment", 15"x20" acrylic inks WIP -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2011/44482-SDC106081a.jpg

FoggyMountain
02-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Wow, it perks me up Robert. Excellent!

Eilymcc
02-18-2011, 03:39 AM
Ooooh Patrick...gardening often does it! Have you any leg or buttock pain? If so I would recommend visiting a Physio...
Ok so here is some advice which should help - just a general recipe for back care...
* Anti-inflamm. meds are good in the early stages
* Ice packs good in early stages too, leave it on for 20 minutes, every few hours - helps to relieve swelling and inflammation
* Try hotpacks after a few days have passed
* No sitting on a soft couch/sofa - sit on a hard chair ( eg dining chair) , try using a rolled towel behind your lower back as a lumbar support
* Limit your sit period to 15 mins - even less if you are sore after sitting for anytime
* In bed, if you sleep on your side, put a pillow between you knees / ankles - helps support your lower back
* Keep your back straight if you need to pick anything up - bend your knees...squat!!!
* And rest...rest rest rest :)
Thats all I can think of now! Oh yes take rolled towel in car as a lumbar support too...
:)

PatrickHedges
02-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Many thanks guys :). Great art Robert.

Yeah, my back is still very sore but I'm moving around better now. Eilis, thanks. I'm very lucky because though I'm not married to an awesome physio like you, I am married to an awesome physio like my wife. She's nailed exactly the same things you said so I'm being very good. Nice to know you guys are consistent in your knowledge. Both my Buttocks have sciatic nerve pain which wasn't the original issue but is now. However, I'm doing exactly what you suggested (because my wife said the same as you did). It sucks because I can't sit for more than 15 mins anyway. I'll get there.....

aaces
02-18-2011, 10:54 AM
That's Killer work Robert :thumbsup:
Patrick...do what your wife says!!!!! Hope ya heal up quick....we need to see some new works from ya Buddy :thumbsup:

pamelalbd
02-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Patrick mend fast and completely my friend! I have some back issues after a fall last winter. But it is getting much better as I have been getting back into shape and it (the back) seems to be getting stronger as a result.

PawClaw
02-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Patrick,
I know your pain. Ice packs help me immensely. Hope they do for you as well.

I've not posted in months but I have been visiting. As always, lots of amazing work on this site. Life's little and big challenges have kept me away and uninspired. Hope to get back in the swing of things. Going to scratch today. Will post when I have something!

Judy

lorna12
02-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Patrick...I hesitate to give more advise and perhaps you already know this method from your wife but here goes anyway...I have suffered from siatic pain from a pinched nerve and the way I get relief when it flares (suggested by my doctor) is to lay flat on the floor with my butt up against the couch and my legs from the knees down resting on the cushions...like sitting on the couch in reverse. Really helped to ease the pain for me and it was the only way I could relax. I had some good naps doing that!:D

Eilymcc
02-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Patrick I forgot, thats brilliant, she'll look after you...now all you have to do is do as she says!!

Lorna thats a nice position, I have used that too before when I hurt my back!

I am hoping to do some more scratching today, its Saturday and I have the day off work yipee! I have started back at my art class, and my teacher is attempting to teach me something about painting...hmmmm...last week she wanted me to ruin a perfectly good canvas by painting on it...I think it looks lovely as is! I have put a layer of gesso on it so I am pleased with myself ;) She is doing a step by step demo of how she does a portrait in acrylic....she is amazing to watch, such a natural with paint. I seem to end up with more paint on myself than on the canvas. Now back to scratching...I feel so much more comfortable with a blade in my hand than a brush :)

PatrickHedges
02-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Eilis, all my canvases look better before I get to them :lol:

Lorna, I've been doing that on occasion. It's great as it really opens up the dodgy joints.